PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 19 January 2015

KristianJ
24th January 2015, 11:52 AM
Modified stableford at Richmond today. Humid but pretty benign conditions.

-4 (1/-5). Left plenty out there on the greens, whether it was lip outs, putts that simply ran out of gas, etc.

I took my 56 and 60 out before heading out the door with the plan to put my 4 iron in, but forgot not only the 4 iron, but that I had a 50* as opposed to 52. :roll:

I might play on Monday...haven't decided yet.

cantchip
24th January 2015, 02:02 PM
35 points (13/22). 3 3 putts on the front didn't help. 39 off the stick around the back was rather pleasing. Course is ripe for the picking after some rain overnight. Expecting some low scores, already a 43 in the clubhouse.

Very humid here as well.

BenM
24th January 2015, 03:22 PM
We had our monthly medal today, it's a week early because they're just about to close a hole for a few weeks to do some drainage works.

I said a couple of weeks ago I wasn't far off breaking 80 again and I cracked it today finally, for the first time in almost 2 years. Shot 79 off the bat for 66 nett, clubhouse leader at the moment. Hopefully it hangs on, I've never won a medal before!

Nothing spectacular really either - just fairly solid ball striking and managed to keep the blowout hole off the card. Missed 6 & 10 footers for bird on the last two holes too.

10 pars
6 bogeys
1 double
1 birdie
7 GIR
28 putts (inc 1 x 3 putt)

cantchip
24th January 2015, 04:36 PM
We had our monthly medal today, it's a week early because they're just about to close a hole for a few weeks to do some drainage works.

I said a couple of weeks ago I wasn't far off breaking 80 again and I cracked it today finally, for the first time in almost 2 years. Shot 79 off the bat for 66 nett, clubhouse leader at the moment. Hopefully it hangs on, I've never won a medal before!

Nothing spectacular really either - just fairly solid ball striking and managed to keep the blowout hole off the card. Missed 6 & 10 footers for bird on the last two holes too.

10 pars
6 bogeys
1 double
1 birdie
7 GIR
28 putts (inc 1 x 3 putt)

Well played mate.

BenM
24th January 2015, 05:33 PM
Thanks mate.

Pretty stoked - won B grade, won monthly medal, won B grade longest drive too. It'll be the last time for a while as that's knocked me back into A grade as well, just in time for Vic Champs. No sandbagging here! :D

Shreko
24th January 2015, 07:32 PM
Just shot even par of the whites at Hills, very soft everywhere on the course, finished with 3 birdies on 16/17/18 pretty stoked!!!!

dunteachin
24th January 2015, 07:41 PM
35 points (20/15) - have to learn how to bring it home - 3 over the front but 2 misses on the back for plus 9 - first game down here in A Grade and after today now down to 9.3 - have to find a neutral course (nearest is Yass I think) so I can go play off single figures for second time in my life

dunteachin
24th January 2015, 07:42 PM
Just shot even par of the whites at Hills, very soft everywhere on the course, finished with 3 birdies on 16/17/18 pretty stoked!!!!

Wow, what a finish!

oldracer
24th January 2015, 07:42 PM
Awesome stuff Benno and the Shrek, well done

Hatchman
24th January 2015, 09:37 PM
37pts Friday in 3rd Race To Bonville round at Kooyonga.

Mixed round of diamonds and turds. Really felt like I let a great round get away turning it into just a good one.
Gamed the vintage Cobra Tour Model II's again and hit them like darts. Amazing how good an old set of 80's blades plays still. Took the hefty Jetspeed out again with mixed results. Was playing the wrong tune with a few big block cuts early but by the 12th it was singing the right song again.

2x triples
1x doubles
2x bogies
3x birdies
Rest pars

Lost A grade on a count back. Runner up is good enough to qualify for the state final in March.

My favourite game Par (NOT) at Kapunda Saturday.

Gamed the big hefty beast combo of Axivcore Tour Black 89s in the SLDR set at 9.5 today. This baby swing weights in at D8. Thought the Jeetspeed at D3 went well with this shaft but the SLDR is even better. Less tendency to throw it from the top and feels easier to drop in the slot. Also gamed the old 80s Cobra Tour Model II's for the 3rd game. The more I play these old gems the more I love them.

The putter let the rest of the game down today missing 7 putts from 4-6 foot range including one that turned 3 stab. Spongy greens atm might be a factor in this with Peltz's lumpy doughnut theory. Kept the doubles and others off the card for the first time in I can't remember how long so that was good.

Threw away a possible great score on the 18th by almost driving the green and walking off with bogey after narrowly jamming the eagle chip and still having a 5 footer for birdie.

Finished 5 over with +3

6 effective drives
9 GIR
30 putts
3 birdies

mrbluu
24th January 2015, 10:08 PM
Played Cabra with new irons (XTD), shaft in my driver (VTS), new shaft in my vsteel 3 wood (fubuki) and wedges (TM TP 50/54/58 ).

Had a good ball striking round, but after struggling with my putting for about 6 weeks I finally out some effort into putting (Did about 10mins yesterday and about 10mins this morning before my round. As it turns out my shoulders were slightly open and I wasn't keeping the angle in my right wrist constant) and it paid off big time.

I started on the back 9 and hit the first 5 GIRS to be one under. Missed the 15 by about 2 feet and got up and down for par. Final hit an iron flush and flew the 16 for a wipe. Birdied 17 and holed a curling 12 footer on 18 from above the hole for par to shot even par in the back nine and 21 points.

Parred the first and then my driving deserted me so I made good bogies on 2, 3 and 4. Nice 8 iron into 5 to about 15feet, can the putt for par. Had my first 3 putt on 6 and finish p b p for 38 points.

Stats

3 x birdies
10 x GIR
1. X 3 putts
30 overall
38 points

Equipment review.

Irons XTD forged with staff c-tapers

They are shorter from heel to toe than my rocketbladez and just don't give me the same confidence. Didn't notice too much difference between the stiff and r+ c-tapers. Liked the short irons they fly nice and low but still stop on the greens. The long irons are not as long as the rocketbladez and not as for giving. Will give them a game or 2 more but see me taking them to Vic champs.

VTS
Very smooth shaft but being a 5 it felt really light and it spun too much especially when I go after one and is about 10-20m shorter than the redtie. Also found itnhard to shape the ball with it. Positive side is that it was fairly easy to hit it straight with a next smooth swing. Will give it one more round but would be interested in a 6 or 7.

Fubuki shaft in my vsteel 3 wood.

Good shaft and head combo and pretty easy to hit but not as long as my LS or XTD 3 woods. Might give it one more round.

TM TP wedges

They sit very flat to the ground but the bounce doesn't dig in as much as expected. The 50 was good for 3/4 shots but still trying to learn to hit knock down and chip with 54. Overall lots of potential in these wedges and loving the KBS tour V shafts.

oz
25th January 2015, 09:29 AM
Congrats BenM & Shrek. Nice rounds.

40 points at Thurgoona for me yesterday. 1 birdie, 2 bogies. 34 putts. Coulda been something.

Steve
25th January 2015, 02:17 PM
39 today at Bankstown, starting to get use to the new course

nadg63
25th January 2015, 02:41 PM
34 points today on my home course, nothing too exciting to report, all pretty ordinary.

Highlight was watching Jasonb hit the deck on the par 3 6th to avoid a thinned/bladed bunker shot from the new guy in our group - funny to see :-)

coalesce
25th January 2015, 05:38 PM
An unremarkable 30 points (18/12) playing with nadg63 and jasonb today.

Used jasonb's (and Coldtopper's old) J40s and whilst the good ones were good, it was very hard to hit anything over the 8i well. Obviously too much club for me, but was educational giving them a try.

Had a fantastic day with the driver today - with the Fubuki shaft, I've been consistently hitting the X2 Hot head more accurately and with 10m more distance. I was never the longest hitter in our group, but I was today! Game golf tells me (http://www.gamegolf.com/player/coalesce/round/178319) I had 86% fairway accuracy today - shame my iron play and shorter game were not as good!!

jasonb's Matrix style bob and weave was definitely the highlight of the day (oh and seeing photos of his mullet from back in the day!)

Ned
25th January 2015, 06:55 PM
Played good yesterday but crap today, on the up side 12 year old daughter had 41 points in today's round, to then turn around at the end of the game and ask could she join up and play Soccer with her friends from school. lol

BrisWesty
26th January 2015, 07:46 AM
First hit in 8 months - 9 holes at Pine Rivers. 39 (3 over) off the stick. 3 or 4 under last handicap.

6 pars 3 bogeys.

I should play less golf more often!