PDA

View Full Version : When to blame the driver?

PRC
15th March 2006, 08:43 PM
I'm hoping you forummers can help. I can't quite get the driver right. I tend to drag the ball left, occasionally a hook but most times just a slow draw. The image is a poor depiction of where I'm hitting the ball on the club.
My thought is that the shaft is too long and needs to be trimmed. Anyone elses thoughts? When I was fitted for irons, that I didn't buy, the pro said I needed shafts +1 inch so I'm up in the air on whether to cut the shaft on the driver.
The driver is the 983e with a standard length and grip, stiff Fujikura Speeder. Thanks

3oneday
15th March 2006, 08:47 PM
do you shank your irons ?? could be any number of reasons, too far from the inside, too close.... I would have thought if you needed longer shafts you would be toe'in it ??

Pete

Jarro
15th March 2006, 08:49 PM
if that's where you normally hit the face of your driver, then you're standing too close to the ball.

Moe Norman
15th March 2006, 09:07 PM
move the blue dot to the centre and you should be fine, hehe.

Toolish
15th March 2006, 09:07 PM
Just so you know, it is always the clubs fault :)

oz
15th March 2006, 09:26 PM
Just so you know, it is always the clubs fault :)

Bingo!!! You don't need to justify the urge to ho around here, PRC. Just say it loud and say it proud... I Wanna new driver..... :lol:

PRC
15th March 2006, 10:33 PM
I figured I was too close to the ball but standing back and swinging just feels wrong, like I'm swinging too flat.
Might just cut it, screw it I don't like the grip on it anyway. So if you see me trying to buy a driver shaft in a few weeks you'll know it went wrong.

Matt 3 Jab
15th March 2006, 10:39 PM
dont cut the shaft down, i had this problem a while ago, your top half is most likly spining out of the shot early, do you seem to pull hook it, but still a high shot??
i have the same driver, goes long!

Matt 3 Jab
15th March 2006, 10:40 PM
work on turning back and feeling like your back is facing the target on the downswing, you might block a few, but with the feeling of your arms coming down first, then your body, should fix it.
without seeing your swing im only going to what happened to me.

Keza_G
15th March 2006, 10:47 PM
after recently having a shank a thon myself I now know the cause of my drama's....

I was leaving mu hands to late at the ball and basically leading into the ball with the hosel of the club and not getting it through with the hands... I too was hitting the ball out of that exact spot when i didn't shankerooney it. CURE : Hands back to waist height, then swing through the hitting plane and back up to waist height... work on turning the hip in sink with the club and hands, all working as a unit.

I wouldn't be so bold to say that I am cured, just that short term... it is working...

Cheers

Keza

connico
15th March 2006, 10:49 PM
yeah show us you swing, i had the same problem, swung back on a flat plane and hitting it to close to the toe

regardless we need swing vids lol

goughy
16th March 2006, 07:29 AM
Just grip up an inch for a while and see if it works.

Ona
16th March 2006, 10:30 AM
hover the club behind the ball where you want to make contact, then let the head drop to the ground, where is the ball lined up?

PRC
16th March 2006, 10:15 PM
Hey some good tips here, thanks.
Ona, Keza and Matt I'll give your ideas a go this weekend. Don't think I've a swing video that's recent. I've tried gripping the shaft lower and had some success, however that left over inch or so annoys the crap out of me when I swing.
Basically I've got some things to work on so thanks again.

PRC
9th April 2006, 03:34 PM
Just an update: I did end up cutting 1 inch off the shaft. So far the results have been excellent. I feel a lot more confident at address and I'm really cranking the swing trying to blast it.
In fact today the planets and moons must have aligned for an instant because I hit the magic 300m mark when I drove a 313m par4.
In the past I'm sure I've done it but never been able to confirm it, you stand there and think maybe it's 300 - maybe it's 290. Today there was no doubt - so I'm happy.

Anyway I've learnt 2 things:
1 - It's ok to cut your driver shaft
2 - Don't bother going to Keperra GC to buy gear.