PDA

View Full Version : Cracked & Caved driver heads?

BrisVegas
15th March 2006, 08:49 AM
Has anyone ever cracked the face of a driver just through normal use? What about caving one in?

I had an old Big Bertha Warbird from early 90's that cracked along the sole where it looked like the face plate joined the sole.

My Titleist 905 has developed a couple of small cracks in the face, right in the sweet spot. I've never seen that before. Has anyone else had that happen?

Also, has anyone had any luck getting a cracked head replaced through the manufacturer???

3oneday
15th March 2006, 09:04 AM
I had a mate who cracked his 983K, which he had bought 2nd hand. Titleist replaced it no questions asked.

Pete

Moe Norman
15th March 2006, 01:14 PM
I caved in a demo ERC

Ona
15th March 2006, 01:47 PM
had a mate who bought one of those armour piercing metal drivers that used to be in the aussie golf mags. face caved in a couple of months after arrival. big shocker.

BrisVegas
15th March 2006, 01:54 PM
Interesting side note to this is that Titleist will not do anything for "Tour" issued stuff or clubs that have been reshafted.

Something to think about when lusting after "Tour" gear...

AndyP
15th March 2006, 01:58 PM
How does reshafting negatively affect the driver head, particularly the face?

BrisVegas
15th March 2006, 02:00 PM
presumably, the heating up of the metal could weaken the molecular structure.

3oneday
15th March 2006, 02:06 PM
You lose your warranty if anyone other than the manufacturer or an approved clubmaker fixes a club which may or may not be under warranty.

I don't think heating damages the club at all, IMHO.

Pete

Matt 3 Jab
15th March 2006, 02:12 PM
a friend has broken (cracked) 2 983k drivers, he hits it 20 past me, so maybe it wasent designed for him, but man, i think 2 shouldnt break.

BrisVegas
15th March 2006, 02:15 PM
i doubt mine would have cracked due to abuse. i don't hit it very hard, certainly nothing out of the ordinary. More likely it was a fault with the club... I guess as clubs push the envelope of COR and thin-face technology etc.. these things happen. Still, it's disappointing.

Moe Norman
15th March 2006, 02:39 PM
i guess their thinking is, if its Tour Issue you probably shouldn't have it anyway.

Jarro
15th March 2006, 02:45 PM
the young pro at Nudgee (Nathan) has cracked at least 5 TM510TP drivers in the last couple of years :shock:

Moe Norman
15th March 2006, 02:47 PM
if youhit them too regularly on the range that will do it.

they aren't designed to hit ball after ball, this was explained to me by some rep from Callaway a few years ago. The faces are so hot, that you should hit a maximum of 3 drives with them every 5 minutes if yu want it to perform as designed.

Jarro
15th March 2006, 02:53 PM
then how come ALo hasn't cracked every driver he's ever had then ;)

AndyP
15th March 2006, 03:08 PM
Doesn't he spend most of his time on the chipping and putting green?

andylo
Hey you gotta hit it the right spot on the face ;)

andylo
Doesn't he spend most of his time on the chipping and putting green?

errr.... ;)

nudgee
15th March 2006, 03:13 PM
I have had a ton of drivers and never cracked or caved a face in - although I have never kept a driver longer than 2 months

BV your driver is not Tour Issue and it hasnt been re-shafted - stock head and shaft from Titleist - so you shouldnt have a problem getting a new one. BTW will you be going tonight to Willawong - I can bring the back up 905S for you.

Cheers

BrisVegas
15th March 2006, 04:02 PM
BTW will you be going tonight to Willawong - I can bring the back up 905S for you.

I'll be there with bells on. Thanks for the loan. I'll only hit it once every 5 minutes per Thommo's advice so it doesn't crack!

Moe Norman
15th March 2006, 04:13 PM
not my advice mate, but I can see the reasoning behind it.

ren
27th March 2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah. OEM's will replace no questions asked. Don't even need a receipt. Just take it to Drummond/House of Golf etc...I took back a 983 and got a NOS head recently, also got a Fusion fixed (missing golden arrow). Also R5 medallions ('d' or 'n') that go missing can be replaced/fixed for free. The OEM's are really good with this stuff, although Ping can be really slllooowwww.

Grunt
6th June 2009, 02:39 PM
I was getting the gear ready for tomorrows & Mondays games this afternoon and I struck a view I thought I would never see.
I had cracked the sole of the Cobra L4V playing on Thursday. See I must hit it hard!

I thought after smoking a drive on 16 that it sounded different on the 18th hole. In saying that most of you would think the L4V sounds different ever time. I forgot after driving home to have a look at it.

So I took it back up to Drummond and they agreed to return it to Cobra and see what happens. Options include new head if still in stock, possible upgrade to L5V or S9. They did say no matter what I would have a new driver head of some sort by Tuesday week.

I asked if I could get a loan club as I have no driver at the moment and am playing tomorrow. Guy runs out the back and brings me a 11.5* L5V to demo. Very happy with the service from Drummond Casula today.

Will see how it goes tomorrow at Oatlands.

3oneday
6th June 2009, 04:41 PM
Did you buy it off 3balls ?

Grunt
6th June 2009, 05:11 PM
Bought it at Drummond

henno
7th June 2009, 08:27 AM
I've cracked a couple. All were replaced.

PeteyD
7th June 2009, 08:33 AM
You are just a crack up.

henno
7th June 2009, 08:34 AM
I think you mean crack pot.

goonie
7th June 2009, 08:40 AM
I cracked an i3 ping driver which was replaced, caved a TM 200 steel driver which was replaced by a R510, which i cracked which was replaced by an R5. I was told that TM changed the way they welded the face inserts from the R7/R5s on which reduced the cracking. Because most of them cracked along the edge of the face insert.

Dotty
7th June 2009, 09:23 AM
A couple of years ago, I had the sole of a Cobra F-Speed crack after 30 balls at the range. (Perpendicular to the face, between the midline and the heel.)

Back to Acushnet and replaced within a week.

Those two drivers always felt very fragile, as if they were stretching the limits of weight distribution vs. strength. (ffs. I swing less than 90mph.)

Grunt
7th June 2009, 09:56 AM
The crack in the L4V was just off the centreline and was perpendicular to the face. It was about 1.5" long

TheNuclearOne
7th June 2009, 10:08 AM
I don't hit hard enough, unfortunately :evil:

Johnny Canuck
7th June 2009, 10:21 AM
I cracked a Srixon driver, they replaced it, but tried telling me that the replacement was not covered by warranty. WTF?

Tomo
7th June 2009, 10:33 AM
Was it stamped?

Johnny Canuck
7th June 2009, 04:28 PM
Nope

oobsadd2
8th June 2009, 10:28 AM
Ive cracked an alpha head after a week or two. There is a thread about it somewhere here with a photo. It was replaced. Ive also seen caved in faces but not for years.

Grunt
17th June 2009, 06:35 PM
I got a message that my club was ready for pick up from Drummond this morning. Popped in after work and to my surprise a new L4V was mine, not a new head on my old shaft as Drummond thought Cobra would do.
A Brand Spanker too, still wrapped in plastic.
Great Work Cobra!!

henno
17th June 2009, 06:38 PM
Yay! A happy ending!

Grunt
17th June 2009, 06:41 PM
Yay! A happy ending!

Sure is, lets hope it is like the old one. Have heard all the stories about buying the right club before.