PDA

View Full Version : Your putting pre-shot routine?

FuzzyJuzzy
17th January 2015, 09:20 PM
I've had a tendency to over-contemplate both line and length when looking at my putts before stepping up to hit them - and usually the weight (and sometimes also the line) of my putts gets up the duff as a result.
Recently I've started to dial my putting pre-shot routine right back - now all I do is have a quick look at the line from behind the ball, then step up and address the ball (no practice strokes), relax my grip on the putter, take one look at the hole, then roll the putt.
Not only is this good for quick play, obviously, but I've had some solid results too. Only one three-putt in four rounds, and lots of one-putts and just a lot more confidence on the greens in general. Guess this is due to not overthinking the line or length - just not giving myself time to fuss/fret over the putt. Kind of a "Hakuna Matata" sort of vibe.
It's interesting, because you often hear pros and commentators say that the pros fuss so much over the line that they sometimes forget to hit a putt the required length. And one of the Euro Tour commentators last week was also saying - and this pricked my ears up - that you don't want to know the exact line of a putt. Rather, this old bloke was saying that you just want to get a rough feel for the line. I think that kind of ties in with what I'm doing with my putting at the moment.
Anyway, have any/many of you blokes got a care free/less is more/Hakuna Matata approach to your putting pre-shot routine? Or do you find getting all over your putts like it's a free for all at a strip joint does the trick for you?
Cheers, FJ.

yoyo
17th January 2015, 10:12 PM
Nothing too fruity........http://i60.tinypic.com/15iat6a.jpg

FuzzyJuzzy
17th January 2015, 10:48 PM
Nothing too fruity........http://i60.tinypic.com/15iat6a.jpg

Totally queer:). There's actually a bloke at my club who I've seen do this a few times...

simmsy
17th January 2015, 11:03 PM
A guy I've played a few games of golf with has done this too.

Dangals
18th January 2015, 06:02 AM
I have started doing the same thing fj and for the most part it has worked well - except for my last two rounds where I putted like an absolute numpty but I am going to stick with it and see how it goes long term.

Dotty
18th January 2015, 06:13 AM
Pick the speed, pick the line that will work for that speed, then roll it along that line.

I don't go to the golf course to think heavily.

SirTop
18th January 2015, 07:05 AM
I take the a head back 3 times on plane at the distance I will putt to, take a breath then putt.

Seems to help me with building muscle memory for the stroke

Grunt
18th January 2015, 07:21 AM
Pick the speed, pick the line that will work for that speed, then roll it along that line.

I don't go to the golf course to think heavily.

Yep same for me Dotty.

See the line, feel the line, hit the ball.

davidw88
18th January 2015, 08:44 AM
I just stand up beside the ball look at the hole then back at the ball and hit it.

jimandr
18th January 2015, 09:30 AM
I had to think about what my pre-putt routine was, which is the way it should be. The same as my normal pre-shot routine, it is something you should not be thinking about. Get comfortable, then play the shot.

I usually do all my lining up while other people are putting, including picking out a spot just in front, then two practice swings and hit it. Then usually leave it short and do it again. On short putts I sometimes do the Baddeley thing of line it up, then step up and hit it straight away with no practice swings.

Hatchman
18th January 2015, 12:50 PM
Walk up to ball and quickly scan green where ball and cup are (quick scan not study). Read putt from behind ball while others putt if possible to do so.
Think about the speed I need to hit it to travel the distance taking into account up hill/down hill/flat. Pick a line that suits that speed.
Make 2 quick practice swings thinking only about speed to get the feel for what I want to do.
Shape up putter head for the line I decided still focusing only on the speed.
Point and shoot.

talbo
18th January 2015, 02:43 PM
Read putt from behind, only read from in front if I'm unsure which way it's breaking. I generally only have a practise stroke if it's 40+ ft or occasionally when there's nerves. Line up putter then complete grip, one look at hole then pull trigger making sure I'm thinking about the distance whilst watching putter head through and past the ball.

Have started lining the ball up to target line and sometimes I'll have a look at it from half way between the hole and ball from a similar distance the ball is from hole if I'm having issues with speed.

Beno
23rd January 2015, 04:55 PM
I always pick on line, not length. I trust myself to be a firm putter generally and i will get a feel of the green speed before going out. I never worry about the length or speed. Just pick my line and that's it.
Just walk up to it - 2 stabby practice swings then hit it.

Never putt that badly doing this. Usually in and around the mid to high 20's, which indicates i miss a few greens - haha

Icestorm959
23rd January 2015, 05:00 PM
I do the adam scott routine (except the holding fingers up part). Has cut down number of three putts tremendously because I suck at reading the line with my eyes.

talbo
23rd January 2015, 05:45 PM
You use aimpoint?

Monsta
23rd January 2015, 07:05 PM

Thought about trying the Michelle Wie stance, but Spud keeps looking at my ass :shock:

Courty
23rd January 2015, 08:22 PM
Thought about trying the Michelle Wie stance, but Spud keeps looking at my ass :shock:

I've heard that about you Confederates.

Monsta
24th January 2015, 07:30 AM

I've heard that about you Confederates.

Confederates only look, Union scum touch (that's just wrong). :shock: