PDA

View Full Version : Draw or Fade??

Eag's
13th March 2006, 10:18 PM
What is your preferred shape of shot, Draw or Fade?
My natural shape is a draw but I really want to learn how to hit a fade :confused:

When I am swinging well, my draw won't get me into to much trouble but on the off days, it can quickly turn into a shank, pullhook, snap, skank etc...:smt087
I feel much more comfortable when trying to hit a fade and I would like to make it my stock shot.

I can move the ball miles right to left when needed with almost any club in the bag but have a lot of trouble getting it to go left to right :oops:

Might book in with my pro and get him to show me how it is done :smt002

AndyP
13th March 2006, 10:21 PM
I fade the ball more often than not, and I'm happy to do that as long as it doesn't turn into a big slice.

3oneday
13th March 2006, 10:22 PM
Nah, fades are overrated !!!!

I spend half my day thinking my straight ones are fading, when in fact they're simply just straight !!! :lol:

Turn the top hand back under, it'll fade, if it doesn't keep turning it anti clockwise until it does ;)

Pete

connico
13th March 2006, 10:42 PM
straights better lol hehe

but im a better drawer than a fader but i can do both...but dont do it right, i use my body to change my swing slighty, i havnt learnt how to modify my plane on purpose

Moe Norman
13th March 2006, 10:53 PM
I can hit a deliberate fade or draw, but I don't hit too many accidental fades, but hit plenty of accidental draws that perhaps could be termed as hooks :o

just open your stance and take it outside a bit, the fade will appear pretty quick.

markTHEblake
13th March 2006, 11:59 PM
I cant hit a fade because i swing 4 degrees inside to out. Most of my efforts result in a huge block that goes even further right - no matter how hard i try.

Eagsy you might have the same issue if your stock shot is a draw.

The only way i can get it to work, is to imagine the ball is a clock face and try to swing through at about 8 o'clock. But that only works for me on the range, cant get it going on the course yet.

Jarro
14th March 2006, 06:03 AM
i love to hit nice little draws off the tee 8) irons have been drawing a touch as well lately ... it's not something i'm trying to do but seems to hane just started happening:-s

Eags, just remember what Nick told you. You were hitting pure little fades after that lesson ;)

BrisVegas
14th March 2006, 08:32 AM
Fade mostly. I just try to hold on a touch longer through impact for a fade.

Fades are a little easier to control. Eagsy, you are strong/long enough that you don't need to worry about hooking it.

Toolish
14th March 2006, 08:45 AM
Used to always be a fade...then a couple of months ago some swing changes made a nice little draw appear...currently they are going both ways a little bit!!

Prefer the draw, mainly because it lowers the flight a little, and i hit it ridiculously high with a fade!

Matt 3 Jab
14th March 2006, 09:47 AM
i used to hit draws, but now with my irons i am nailing them with a little left to right fade, starts about 6ft left and works into the pin, i can draw it in if need be, but for now its a little fade with the irons, and drive is the same, all depends where the pin is on the green, im thinking about my approches more now and its working wonders, have hit over 10 greens per round doing it.

oz
14th March 2006, 09:48 AM
I tend to draw the ball, mostly, but like you would be mroe comfortable with a fade, particularly with the irons. Mostly, these days, with the new technology and lower spin balls, the degreee of fade / draw has reduced for me, and I find it harder to get that L to R ballflight consistently

brad
14th March 2006, 01:57 PM
I tend from straight to heavy fade (otherwise known as a slice). Would love to learn how to draw!!!!! Even if only for those times that I need it. Anyone that wants to fade should just watch me swing at the ball :)

connico
14th March 2006, 02:00 PM
most of the time it can be as simple as taking the club back on a different plane to get that change of swing necessary...

Flowergirl
14th March 2006, 02:11 PM
My trouble is that i fade when trying short putts!!

Stoney
14th March 2006, 02:37 PM
I like to think that I can hit both when the need arises.

My natural shot was always a fade, but a change in equipment in the late 90's and the hitting of several million golf balls taught me how to hit a draw.

Now that I play infrequently and use forgiving equipment I tend to hit a straightish draw most of the time. Works for me.

freddy a
14th March 2006, 10:20 PM
driver i like to fade it.
for some reason i hit a draw ith the 3 woood
with the irons i just try to hit staright but i can either hit a fade or draw. i just change my stace dependin on the shot.

Courty
15th March 2006, 12:24 AM
When I started playing seriously again about 6 years ago (19 h'cap) I had a nasty fade (slice) which got worse the longer the club was. I did a lot of work to fix my swing and now have a stock gentle draw. I can fade if required and hook as well (damn trees). Unfortunately, my standard mis-hit still results in a fade or even a block. But after suffering through the horrible slice for years, I'll take a draw any day.