PDA

View Full Version : Mobility scooters

goughy
7th January 2015, 01:27 PM
Anybody know much about them?

razaar
7th January 2015, 04:40 PM
I know that Mobile Independance Pty/Ltd at Brendale in Brisbane sell them. It's where I normally get the boss's buggy battery.

goughy
7th January 2015, 05:37 PM
After Rob coming to Brissie with me today, and killing an hour or so in the mall during my first appointment it nearly killed her today. She skips out on coming to lots of stuff, in particular when on holidays cause she just can't move around that much. But I'm thinking is overkill, for something that wouldn't really get used that much. She couldn't take it anywhere unless I was there anyway, and maybe I should just push her in a chair. I have a feeling it's gonna end up in an argument if I don't think we should get one. But I know nothing much about them. And I'm the one who's gonna have to lift it in and out of car, and I see they seem to weight mid 40 to 60kg.

markTHEblake
7th January 2015, 06:06 PM
Not to mention you are gunna want to ride it everywhere yourself, and if something goes wrong you will try to fix it.

goughy
7th January 2015, 08:02 PM
Rubber bands and super glue.... Problem solved.

jimandr
7th January 2015, 08:54 PM
I live in the mobility scooter capital of Australia. Because Ballina is dead flat, it is a very attractive retirement destination for mobility challenged people. The scooters are everywhere.

From what I can see though, you can't manhandle them at all. Which means you need a house with ramp access, and some sort of hydraulic lift for transfer into the station wagon or people mover style vehicle. So if you haven't already got those things, it will cost heaps.

The other thing Mrs Goughy will need is to develop an attitude. Scooter drivers do not move aside for anybody, and whinge loudly in supermarket queues and elsewhere if people don't get out of their way. They particularly hate cyclists, because the shared path is NOT for sharing with cyclists.

Webster
7th January 2015, 09:09 PM
The other thing Mrs Goughy will need is to develop an attitude.

Shouldn't be an issue .

goughy
7th January 2015, 10:14 PM
Boo yah

Johnny Canuck
7th January 2015, 11:40 PM
Shouldn't be an issue .

POTY

goughy
12th October 2015, 01:28 PM
We're back looking at this again, after borrowing a wheelchair at Robina town center a few weeks ago. We think we've found a model that's light enough that she may be able to get it out of the car herself (or the kids could), and I most certainly could handle it. Not a hell raising model, but would do. Jas is getting a bit sick of me having to take her clothes shopping when she she wants to spend some time browsing (probably cause of the stupid stuff I point out to her). Plus the odd activity we do with mates where she can't participate and maybe she can even make it to watch the odd triathlon if she doesn't have to walk around.

One of the mobility places in town pointed us to a govt program she can apply for which may help, though it's another application process. Plus we don't know if we can get the one we like through any of these places. But it's a start.

timah!
12th October 2015, 01:40 PM
They are certainly handy. Mum had two different ones, one smaller one for inside the house, one larger more solid one for trips to the shops.
I don't know whether the smaller one had any certain restrictions or not on its use.

goughy
27th November 2015, 08:53 AM
We got a Pride portable one, which breaks apart into a few pieces. The kids can get it in and out of the car for her on their own. She could do it herself but the kids like doing it for her. Not gonna have the greatest of ranges etc, but it had to suit what we needed and a bigger one wouldn't have been manageable.

It's going on a cruise with us that Rob's parents are taking us all on.

PerryGroves
27th November 2015, 09:08 AM
Not to mention you are gunna want to ride it everywhere yourself, and if something goes wrong you will try to fix it.

Don't take them on the greens

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/11/23/disabled-boston-sportscaster-files-discrimination-lawsuit-against-golf-club.html?intcmp=hpbt4

goughy
27th November 2015, 10:58 AM
My first eagle years ago, my dad and I were playing with a disabled golfer. He obviously used a cart through the course, but he also had a set of crutches made with large round flat discs on the base to offer more stability on grass, and to try and cause less damage on the greens by spreading out the weight. He was missing one leg from the hip.

oldracer
27th November 2015, 11:15 AM
not meaning to hijack the thread but there was a one armed gentleman playing at my track on tuesday and he was awesome, hit the ball very well

oncewasagolfer
27th November 2015, 04:23 PM
not meaning to hijack the thread but there was a one armed gentleman playing at my track on tuesday and he was awesome, hit the ball very well
Jack Newton?

oldracer
27th November 2015, 04:28 PM
Jack Newton?nah bit older than Jack

Cosmopolite
27th November 2015, 09:56 PM
have you got info on the govt program Goughy?

goughy
27th November 2015, 10:36 PM
Yeah Cosmo, funny enough found out after we'd gotten one! A friend of my mum's with ms has used it and she also discovered it after getting one. She ended up getting one through the program and selling the one she had bought. We've got the physical therapist coming next week for an assessment prior to application, but they seem to feel she'll meet the requirements.
If she does, then we'll just do the same thing. Regardless, if we'd waited for the leftism we wouldn't have it for her to use during the cruise.