PDA

View Full Version : Single figure blokes using chunky irons?

FuzzyJuzzy
5th January 2015, 03:35 PM
Gents,

For those of you with single figure handicaps, just wondering what irons you're gaming? I'm around 7-8hc and in the last few months have been using 712MBs (I actually hit the 712MBs better than I thought I would) and now MP-64s; prior to that I was using 710CBs and 712 AP2s. Played with a bloke last weekend who was playing off 5 (so around 3.0 in Golflink) who was gaming Callaway Apex irons (not the Pro model, just the standard). Was a bit surprised by that given he had a pretty solid swing and a decent handicap, but anyway he was killing it - shot two over par off the stick on medal day, which included a three under par front 9.
Are any/many of you single figure blokes using something slightly chunkier? Callaway Apex, X2Hot/Pro, i20/i25, JPX825/Pro, Covert Forged, etc? Just curious. Cheers Lads.

razaar
5th January 2015, 03:44 PM
I practice with AP2 714's but play with Cally Diablo forged (model before the Apex).

PerryGroves
5th January 2015, 03:45 PM
I've got my muscle blade Mizunos with DGS300 shafts, this proves beyond any doubt that I'm a player (until someone sees the ball flight)

Went to Adelaide a month or so ago, my clubs didn't arrive. Played at The Grange with a hire set of Callaway chunkies with regular shafts, never hit it better.

Shane788
5th January 2015, 03:46 PM
When I started playing again 3 years ago I got to scratch playing my junior set of 1996 callaway big bertha irons, they were horrible.
Then I bought a very cheap set of mizzy Mp60's which were a huge improvement and still love the feeling of them. Now I have sets of mp60 with s300, mp32 with x100, mp60/32 combos with s300, mp64s with matrix program 130 and a set of cobra amp cell pro with nippon modus 120x. Mainly use the cobras and 64's but there all good sets, will never go back to the chunkier heads even though I'm hitting it like shit, love the look of compact head at address.

davidw88
5th January 2015, 04:06 PM
I am off 4 and am using srixon z545, but before that was using 714 Ap1 irons and used taylormade speed blades before that. Our pro at the club used 712 ap1 and he can score good. No way I would use blades, you can still miss hit these and still hit the green, just don't lose as much distance.

Coldtopper
5th January 2015, 04:11 PM
You can buy cyclone gear at the hardware if shovels are required.

I just picked up a few sets of Yamahas at value maybe some of the best sets going imo.

The InpresX TM cb's look amzing beind the ball imo not bad for a JDM weapon @ 100 a stick 33776

Or the RMX 2014 MB are super sexy like a dressed up 33.

braddles
5th January 2015, 04:31 PM
I have been playing Nike VR Pro Blades for the last 12-18 months. I bought a set of 714 AP2s, but hit the blades much better. I am experimenting with a set of 714 CBs at the moment. I am trying to get a forgiving set of irons I like and hit well...I am wasting a lot of money doing so!

LeftyHoges
5th January 2015, 04:37 PM
Up until a few weeks ago I was still playing the original AP2s. Now have some Mizzy MP-68's, but I'd hardly call them blades either.

pt73
5th January 2015, 05:07 PM
I currently use i20s which will soon be replaced by i25s. I tried Cally X Proto blades a while ago but it only made the game harder.

3oneday
5th January 2015, 05:08 PM
Combo set of x hot 3 and 4 irons and Topflite Oversized (Tours ;)) 5 to wedge.

Used my backup set of Topflites (4 to wedge) at Wingham on Satdy, finished bogey, double, par for 8 over.

Players sticks are overrated ;)

Steve57
5th January 2015, 05:47 PM
Using Cally X2Hot Pro irons, with PX95 flighted 5.5's, half inch over, 2* up.
Have had sets of blades over the years, (Hogan Producer, Titty 690's) but have never hit the ball better than recently.
Been playing 44 years and just hit my lowest 'cap ever.

Dangals
5th January 2015, 05:52 PM

I just picked up a few sets of Yamahas at value maybe some of the best sets going imo.

The InpresX TM cb's look amzing beind the ball imo not bad for a JDM weapon @ 100 a stick 33776

Damn ct those look amazing...I have a feeling you will make me a convert at some point!

Dotty
5th January 2015, 06:05 PM
Under the original USGA handicap system (10 flags from 20), I got down to 7.7 with Cobra S9, and down to 6.9 with Callaway X20.

golf2013
5th January 2015, 06:21 PM
I have played off 2 to 4 for a fair few years and have used tommy armour 855 silver scotts, hogan edges, ping zings, ping i20s and now ping i10s. The zings were ugly as but I played awesome golf with them. I went back to chunkier irons when i got i20s but i hated the offset on the 3 4 and 5 irons. The i10s arent massive but have enough forgiveness to get by.

Ferrins
5th January 2015, 06:50 PM
I use Wilson FG Tours 3-pw with DGR300's. Very happy with them.

FuzzyJuzzy
5th January 2015, 06:58 PM

Verrrrrrrryyyyyy sexy business there CT. So you got these babies from Bunnings then?:). Just kidding.

FuzzyJuzzy
5th January 2015, 07:02 PM
I am off 4 and am using srixon z545, but before that was using 714 Ap1 irons and used taylormade speed blades before that. Our pro at the club used 712 ap1 and he can score good. No way I would use blades, you can still miss hit these and still hit the green, just don't lose as much distance.

Played with a bloke a few weeks ago who was off 3 and rocking the AP1s too.

benno_r
5th January 2015, 07:03 PM

What year model are those? They are hot!

On-Off are my dream jdm irons, but these are giving them a run.

Tank33
5th January 2015, 07:10 PM
I know what you are thinking! You don't have to ask around just buy some and try them yourself!

Now back to being serious, I don't play off a single figure. Currently off 10. I have only ever played off 9 just once in a competition. But since I have met you in person and read about your family situations on here, I'd like to give you my two cents worth because I have been there and done that.

Since I took up this great game six years ago at a age of late 30s with a handicap of 26, it has become my life and I have spent so much money trying to do everything I can to improve my game. I am not loaded with cash either and my wife is not too happy but because I am a what makes me tick, I gotta do type of guy.

To keep the story short, ever since I started, I have always played with some kind of players iron (Mizuno MP-33s, 53s, 54s, 59s, 62s, and 63s and wishon 550c).
Whenever I played with an A-grader with chunkier club than mine and when they told me they found my clubs are harder to control, I started to believe I am playing an iron set that is too difficult for my level of golf.

So I went and bought a set of G25s, the first set of chunky clubs ever I played with. Did I like or get the results? I don't think they made too much difference. I hit them higher and further which would regarded as being better but I could never like the feel of the cast clubs.
It never gave me the same feeling I get from a Mizuno even if I flush one.

Earlier last year after a fitting session at PPGL, I started to believe a set of iron with these fancy graphite iron shafts would benefit me so I went to a Callaway fitting session at my golf club and was fitted into X Hot 2 heads because I have already chosen I wanted the recoil shafts.
After forking out another $1300 for a set of irons, did I like it or see the results? I don't play them at the moment because I don't have the swing speed to generate enough height and the spin with them. Whenever I hit the green with a good shot, I'd end up over the green having too much roll-out. They are sitting at my workshop gathering dusts.

Well after trying two sets of chunkier clubs, I can tell you that I never liked them and I regret spending so much $$$$ on them.

What I learned after hurting my bank balance a big time is that you have to have CONFIDENCE in your equipment and you have to LIKE what you play to give you the best outcome no matter what sort of clubs you play.
The moment you started to have doubts about your equipment, it will ruin your rounds and your bank balance.

I feel you are in the same boat as me, trying to do whatever it takes to lower the handicap. I was playing off 10 January last year then my handicap blown out back to 16 during the year and now I managed to get it back down to 10.
I would like to play off scratch and I know I might run out of time before I even get any closer but if I believe I gave it my all, I wouldn't have regrets.

After going through so many sets of clubs, I know for a fact, any equipment change will never lower my handicap. But I still dig the Proshop for whatever I like and I don't know how long my current set of clubs will last because I am a ho and its all part of the fun.

backintheswing
5th January 2015, 07:19 PM
I bought my Ping I20's new about 2 1/2 years ago now. Went in to the shop to get fitted for S56's, but walked out with the I20's.

Was fairly happy with them for a long while and still have them.

Picked up a set of s56's a couple of weeks ago and the difference is amazing. I think I will be sticking to the S series pings for the next few years at least.

yoyo
5th January 2015, 07:24 PM
Does anyone want to swap their 714 AP2's for some 714 AP1's......? :oops: :mrgreen:

Matt 3 Jab
5th January 2015, 07:34 PM
I like blades, just the look really.

Tried some GI irons, i hated the strong lofts, the ball went way too far and i felt i couldnt control it at all.

Current gamers are from early 90's, 48 PW, and i love them. Hitting the ball well and i dont feel the miss hits are that bad really.

Play what works but i didnt feel that GI irons helped me any more than blades do.

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u553/matt40071/image-3_zps5baa8d5a.jpeg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/matt40071/media/image-3_zps5baa8d5a.jpeg.html)
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u553/matt40071/image-8_zps59b5a8ef.jpeg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/matt40071/media/image-8_zps59b5a8ef.jpeg.html)

Shreko
5th January 2015, 07:38 PM
I played on single figures for the last 8 years using TM XD irons with titanium insert, other than chipping, these clubs were great and felt like cheating because they were so easy to play. I am now gaming Apex pro's and whilst I have to concentrate a lot harder on each shot I play with them, the results regarding distance control and dispersion are substantially better with the Apex compared to the XD's. 20c worth!!!!!!!

KristianJ
5th January 2015, 07:50 PM
I like blades, just the look really.

Tried some GI irons, i hated the strong lofts, the ball went way too far and i felt i couldnt control it at all.

Current gamers are from early 90's, 48 PW, and i love them. Hitting the ball well and i dont feel the miss hits are that bad really.

Play what works but i didnt feel that GI irons helped me any more than blades do.

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u553/matt40071/image-3_zps5baa8d5a.jpeg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/matt40071/media/image-3_zps5baa8d5a.jpeg.html)
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u553/matt40071/image-8_zps59b5a8ef.jpeg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/matt40071/media/image-8_zps59b5a8ef.jpeg.html)

That view at address is nothing compared to the 3 iron. :lol:

I'm sort of in a transitional phase once again. My Burner TPs are very nice, look sensational at address, but am looking at several different options that are more forgiving. My swing just doesn't repeat itself well enough for me to get the consistent results that I want.

Pings are in the crosshairs...even something as old as the mighty i5s. S56 is a fantastic iron though...

backintheswing
5th January 2015, 07:51 PM
That view at address is nothing compared to the 3 iron. :lol:

I'm sort of in a transitional phase once again. My Burner TPs are very nice, look sensational at address, but am looking at several different options that are more forgiving. My swing just doesn't repeat itself well enough for me to get the consistent results that I want.

Pings are in the crosshairs...even something as old as the mighty i5s. S56 is a fantastic iron though...

Go the S56

Ferrins
5th January 2015, 07:53 PM
I use Wilson FG Tours 3-pw with DGR300's. Very happy with them.

FuzzyJuzzy
5th January 2015, 07:57 PM
The S56 look solid, but I love the look of the S55 irons and have been very tempted to take a set of them for a spin. I don't much like the look of i20s and i25s, but the S55s look awesome. Are they comparable to something like AP2s?

Rodent
5th January 2015, 08:20 PM
I was gaming i-10's and playing off 8 when I walked in to the Custom Golf shop at Burwood. 7 was the lowest I'd ever been. I was fitted into Mizuno JPX 825 pro and within 6 months was playing off 4. I then had some lessons and changed everything. I've come off my anchor and am headed in the right direction again (GA hcp 6.1) still gaming the JPX 825 pro. They're great sticks. They don't look overly chunky at address but there's plenty of forgiveness.

benno_r
5th January 2015, 08:39 PM

You know I have both right? Come Monday, discussions will be had.

MAZA68
5th January 2015, 08:40 PM
Just recently got a set of Cleveland 588TT Irons, after playing with TM 320's for 12 years. Enjoying that soft buttery feel and increased distance.

3oneday
5th January 2015, 08:41 PM
Ping S irons would be more like your Titleist CB"s than AP2's

KristianJ
5th January 2015, 08:41 PM
Your new BFF says he has dibs on the i5s. :lol: All good though...I have had a generous enabler offer me some i20s to give a burl.

Daves
5th January 2015, 08:45 PM
I see a few single markers using Ping Eye 2s.

benno_r
5th January 2015, 08:49 PM
Your new BFF says he has dibs on the i5s. :lol: All good though...I have had a generous enabler offer me some i20s to give a burl.

Haha true, but now he has a set with a HIO in them, he probably won't want them now.

Sydney Hacker
5th January 2015, 08:55 PM
Just recently got a set of Cleveland 588TT Irons, after playing with TM 320's for 12 years. Enjoying that soft buttery feel and increased distance. I am playing with these at the moment and they are bloody great so far.

Coldtopper
5th January 2015, 08:57 PM
Damn ct those look amazing...I have a feeling you will make me a convert at some point! the way you hit it Dan you need a set! I couldn't resist showing off btw.

Dangals
5th January 2015, 09:01 PM
the way you hit it Dan you need a set! I couldn't resist showing off btw.

Keep me in mind if you plan on moving anything on then...

MAZA68
5th January 2015, 09:06 PM
I am playing with these at the moment and they are bloody great so far.

After coming off 12 year old clubs they are pretty dam good and great value when lining up against other gear.

Coldtopper
5th January 2015, 09:09 PM
What year model are those? They are hot!

On-Off are my dream jdm irons, but these are giving them a run. the rmx's are the 2014's and the cb's are 2012's. The new onoffs 2015 look amazing as well I didnt have any more in the tank as they over the 1k barrier. Cant wait to get the rebuilds done!

Courty
5th January 2015, 09:22 PM
Had a bit of a handicap blowout in recent months, but still off singles (just).

Currently playing Taylormade Tour Preferred MCs. Previously used Adams MBs, Adams CB1s, Titleist ZBs, Mizuno MP-59s, Tayormade RAC TP Combos & Maxfli Revolutions. Even though I'd probably hit the ball better with chunkier clubs, I can't stand the sight of a thick topline and lots of offset.

Played with a 5 marker on the weekend who just bought a brand new set of Brosnan GI irons. :shock:

Shreko
5th January 2015, 10:14 PM

after meeting you at pac harbour Benno_r I am wondering what you don't have!!!!!

Hatchman
5th January 2015, 10:34 PM
Had a bit of a handicap blowout in recent months, but still off singles (just).

Currently playing Taylormade Tour Preferred MCs. Previously used Adams MBs, Adams CB1s, Titleist ZBs, Mizuno MP-59s, Tayormade RAC TP Combos & Maxfli Revolutions. Even though I'd probably hit the ball better with chunkier clubs, I can't stand the sight of a thick topline and lots of offset.

Played with a 5 marker on the weekend who just bought a brand new set of Brosnan GI irons. :shock:

Has Brosnan ever made a good/looking iron?
I used to see them in the golf shops and think, who buys this rubbish?

talbo
5th January 2015, 10:37 PM
the rmx's are the 2014's and the cb's are 2012's. The new onoffs 2015 look amazing as well I didnt have any more in the tank as they over the 1k barrier. Cant wait to get the rebuilds done!

You bought both? Very nice!!

Let me know if you have a set of modus3 120s you want to get rid of.

benno_r
5th January 2015, 10:50 PM
after meeting you at pac harbour Benno_r I am wondering what you don't have!!!!!

I don't have Herpes, or anything made by Titleist.

Hatchman
5th January 2015, 10:52 PM
Over the years I've gone up and back between blades to shovels and the ones that aren't either I'll call spades.

Started with PGF Slammers_Shovels
Cobra TLC Grind_Blades (worst club I ever hit)
Cobra Tour Tour Model II_Blades
Gold Ram Tom Watson Grind_Blades
Tommy Armour 845_Shovels
Callaway S2H2_Spades
Callaway Big Bertha_the second release, massive Shovels
Callaway X12_Shovels
Titleist 990_Spades
Ping Eye 3 Blades_called blades but these are Shovels
Talormade 2010 CB_Spades
Titleist 712 AP2_Spades

FuzzyJuzzy
5th January 2015, 11:29 PM
I
Over the years I've gone up and back between blades to shovels and the ones that aren't either I'll call spades.

Started with PGF Slammers_Shovels
Cobra TLC Grind_Blades (worst club I ever hit)
Cobra Tour Tour Model II_Blades
Gold Ram Tom Watson Grind_Blades
Tommy Armour 845_Shovels
Callaway S2H2_Spades
Callaway Big Bertha_the second release, massive Shovels
Callaway X12_Shovels
Titleist 990_Spades
Ping Eye 3 Blades_called blades but these are Shovels
Talormade 2010 CB_Spades
Titleist 712 AP2_Spades

Spades, blades and shovels - love it! Sounds a hell of a lot simpler than players iron, players cavity, and GI:).

yoyo
6th January 2015, 07:08 AM
When i was in japan recently i came across these ***ed up looking wedges that were absolutely enormous, they were ridiculous. Wanted to take a pic of them but the staff there were pretty tetchy about photos in the shop....

davepuppies
6th January 2015, 08:51 AM
Does anyone want to swap their 714 AP2's for some 714 AP1's......? :oops: :mrgreen:

I got some 712 ap2s?

jimandr
6th January 2015, 05:35 PM

I did, and they were good.

I've told this story before, but not to this viewing audience.

Back in the pre Oz Golf Days, when I didn't have much money and I didn't know (or care) much about clubs, my car got stolen with clubs in the boot. The car was recovered but the clubs disappeared. Insurance didn't cover the loss, so I needed new clubs quickly and didn't have much money to spend.

So I went to the local Golf Mart, tried a few sets on the monitor. The Brosnan Silver Bullets looked and felt as good as any others, and were $200 cheaper than the equivalent Callaways and Taylor Mades. So I bought them, and within a month dropped from 10 to 7. I suspect the improvement was partly due to the fact these were fitted for me, but the undeniable fact was that I played better golf with Brosnan Silver Bullets than my stolen Gary Player Offset Powers (Hatch, you probably remember those clubs).

This is semi-relevant to the topic, because those clubs gave me better height and distance, and more importantly, they felt good. Which to me is the moral of the story. If they feel good and do what you want them to do, use whatever works.

For the really good player, particularly those who hit a high ball, super premium blades may be the best option. But a low ball flight guy like me needs to get the ball in the air, so blades are not for me.

Beno
6th January 2015, 06:00 PM

Callaway X12_Shovels

These things were nearly front-end loaders, not merely shovels.

3oneday
6th January 2015, 06:44 PM
I don't have Herpestell CT they're a new Jap brand and he'll want them too.

He'd have to retire properly then :lol:

Oldplayer
6th January 2015, 07:45 PM
Currently off 3, got to 1 last year and I have played them all. A massive iron ho, I have experimented with every type of iron to find out for myself whether the premise that you should play the most forgiving iron that you can stand to look at is a valid one.
I have used older and modern blades, players cbs, neo blades or muscle cavities and GI/SGI.
Probably the biggest shovels I have ever tried were the Adams GT3. I have had G5's, G10's and currently have G25's. In the end they are not for me. They may work for others, especially on their "bad days" but IMO there is a big marketing push to make these irons more palatable for better players.
Every player can obviously play whatever they want, but I have found large soled, big offset irons counterproductive in trying to achieve consistent ballstriking, which translates to more GIR and therefore more birdie puts.
In reality having different irons in the bag whether blades or shovels does not influence what I score very much at all. That is more dictated by how well I am driving, putting or how sharp the up and down game is.
What having blades or shovels in the bag does influence is how sharp and crisp my iron play can be. I get more consistent distances, flight and dispertion playing blades. I will say that I am talking modern blades not older, tiny hosel side sweet spot blades of past eras. My favorites ATM are some Yonex Ezone mb's and a set of original Cally protos I recently had built.
Of course this is only my experience but my experience in this area is extensive.

AusOdy
6th January 2015, 08:07 PM
The A4s are not in bag? :wink:

Oldplayer
6th January 2015, 08:36 PM
The A4s are not in bag? :wink:
Not ATM.
I do love them but as I said. Massive ho.
I'm sure they will make their way back at some stage. Doesn't change my opinion that they are awesome irons.

Hatchman
6th January 2015, 09:27 PM
Callaway X12_Shovels

These things were nearly front-end loaders, not merely shovels.

I thought the 12's were slimmer than the Bertha 1 and 2's.
If the X12's are Front-end Loaders the Bertha's are Drag Lines :lol:

Haystacks
6th January 2015, 09:44 PM
Combo set of x hot 3 and 4 irons and Topflite Oversized (Tours ;)) 5 to wedge.

Used my backup set of Topflites (4 to wedge) at Wingham on Satdy, finished bogey, double, par for 8 over.

Players sticks are overrated ;)

WTF were you doing in Wingham? I was born and bred there!

3oneday
6th January 2015, 09:53 PM
My Dad plays there, lives at Old Bar.

Haystacks
6th January 2015, 10:00 PM
My Dad plays there, lives at Old Bar.
Have they extended to 18 holes yet? They had 13 the last time I played there.

markTHEblake
7th January 2015, 12:05 AM

hardly anyone I expect Got absolutely nothing going for them. Cheap heads manufactured in china, designs copied from others, mass assembled by unskilled labourers.

markTHEblake
7th January 2015, 12:05 AM
WTF were you doing in Wingham? I was born and bred there!

well that explains a few things

BUSHY
7th January 2015, 01:20 AM
Playing TM MB's I went from mid teens to 4, changed to Covert Forged and ballooned quickly and sat on my anchor for most of the end of 2014. Went and got a set of MP33's and have only been going down since. I don't think there is much 'forgiveness' difference at all. My best is much better and my worst is no worse.

I think the visual plays a key role but also the turf interaction of the blade is much more suitable for me. Again, I don't feel I lose forgiveness.

Veefore
7th January 2015, 03:13 AM
I use Ping G2's. My opinion is that the more forgiving clubs help the better ball striker even more than they help the high handicapper. It's a long explanation but most agree even they hear it.

For what it's worth, a few years ago Ping authored an article where it showed that most blades are bought by 8 to 10 and most blades are sold by 12 to 14 handicappers.

blurry
7th January 2015, 06:20 AM
Got down to 4 playing with s56's , bought some i20's and haven't had a flagged round since

Shane788
7th January 2015, 08:07 AM
I played behind the Brosnan bloke in a pro am a few months ago, slowest round of my life, he got multiple warnings from the PGA rules guy, every pro was bitching hard about him. He was decked out in brosnan gear, Wanker.

razaar
7th January 2015, 01:26 PM
I used to see them in the golf shops and think, who buys this rubbish?I played with Brosnan hand forged blades 1iron to PW from 1986 to 1990. Like most blades of that era, weight needed to be added to the head. Only threw them away last September during a clean up. Wayne Grady played with them for a few years.

markTHEblake
7th January 2015, 01:34 PM
I played behind the Brosnan bloke in a pro am a few months ago, slowest round of my life, he got multiple warnings from the PGA rules guy, every pro was bitching hard about him. He was decked out in brosnan gear, Wanker.The Brosnan bloke is about 80 now.i imagine he is not as fast as the others

talbo
7th January 2015, 01:41 PM
Did Grady win the PGA using Brosnan?

Daves
7th January 2015, 02:13 PM

Grady worked for Denis Brosnan I believe, and was also sponsored by Brosnan.

razaar
7th January 2015, 02:36 PM
Did Grady win the PGA using Brosnan?No idea what he won with. I played with him at the Mt Isa Open in 1983 and never looked in his bag or if I did I've forgotten.

Shane788
7th January 2015, 03:13 PM
The Brosnan bloke is about 80 now.i imagine he is not as fast as the others

I think he's 68, but still, you can't play to the rules he shouldn't bother turning up, or get a cart.

Shreko
7th January 2015, 03:22 PM
My mate who worked for Golf World/Brosnan told me he only used their clubs in certain tourneys in Oz, he used Maxfli blades overseas for a long time but not sure what he won his major with

talbo
7th January 2015, 03:35 PM
Grady worked for Denis Brosnan I believe, and was also sponsored by Brosnan.

I remember his caddy carrying a Brosnan staff bag, not sure if he gamed the clubs though

Daves
7th January 2015, 04:35 PM
I remember his caddy carrying a Brosnan staff bag, not sure if he gamed the clubs though

I am pretty sure he did, at least early on in his career. I played with him in a Pro Am a year or so ago, and he talked fondly of when he worked for Brosnan. A friend has a old set of Wayne Grady Brosnans from the era.

http://www.golfclubsequipment.com.au/Brosnan-Golf.html

Horse
7th January 2015, 04:51 PM
Pretty sure Grades was using Mizuno when he won the PGA.

3oneday
7th January 2015, 05:19 PM
Have they extended to 18 holes yet? They had 13 the last time I played there.9 holer.

Scifisicko
7th January 2015, 05:22 PM
I played in today's comp with TM Speedblades (Shovels) and hit 14 greens for 42 points (and the Chocolates). There was one approach i had to shape and it came out just right. It was blowy and i had no trouble keeping them low. To account for the jacked lofts, where I would normally hit 6 i hit 7. Im going to game them again on Saturday and see what happens.

BUSHY
7th January 2015, 06:15 PM

Appears so.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/06/ef3806f0598fcf53628c5e3529277580.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/06/1b877b62f045cfd1f7c3e10d48b4b9d5.jpg

blurry
7th January 2015, 07:14 PM
Harry highpants

wizard_of_oz
7th January 2015, 10:34 PM
Played with a mid single handicap player using ultimate shovels.. The original Rocketballz GI irons.

talbo
7th January 2015, 10:48 PM

Cheers, didn't know he played Mizuno

Johnny Canuck
8th January 2015, 01:43 AM
I use Ping G2's. My opinion is that the more forgiving clubs help the better ball striker even more than they help the high handicapper. It's a long explanation but most agree even they hear it.

For what it's worth, a few years ago Ping authored an article where it showed that most blades are bought by 8 to 10 and most blades are sold by 12 to 14 handicappers.

How about Chappy? scratch or better forever, still using Ping Eye 2+.

LoveGolf2012
13th January 2015, 09:51 PM
I use Mizuno MP64s

Johnny Canuck
13th January 2015, 10:13 PM
I just picked up a set of Ping Eye 2s myself. I have only played a few holes but the results have me very very intrigued.

990B Luva
13th January 2015, 10:19 PM
I'd play the Eye 2's I have if they weren't 2.25* flat

Hatchman
13th January 2015, 10:23 PM
I'd play the Eye 2's I have if they weren't 2.25* flat

What colour dot is that?

Webster
13th January 2015, 10:23 PM
I just picked up a set of Ping Eye 2s myself. I have only played a few holes but the results have me very very intrigued.

Still easily the best irons ever made.

hacker
13th January 2015, 10:30 PM
I just picked up a set of Ping Eye 2s myself. I have only played a few holes but the results have me very very intrigued.Are they the white dots from gumtree that were almost free?

oldracer
13th January 2015, 10:59 PM
Are they the white dots from gumtree that were almost free?whites are 1* up I believe

Webster
13th January 2015, 11:03 PM
whites are 1* up I believe

A simple google search would have told you they are 3 degrees up.

Johnny Canuck
14th January 2015, 12:13 AM
Are they the white dots from gumtree that were almost free?

Yes they are!

Ferrins
14th January 2015, 07:26 AM
One day as I was driving to golf I realised that I had forgot to put my clubs in the car. Instead of driving home I ducked into a Cashies and bought a set of clubs for $99. This set included TaylorMade 360 irons that were the GI out of the 300 series. I did not have any practice before my round and shot 1 over the stick with a super hot patch of 4 birdies in 5 holes with the longest putt being about 15ft. Sold the irons to one of my playing partners for $100 during the round.

FuzzyJuzzy
14th January 2015, 08:07 AM
One day as I was driving to golf I realised that I had forgot to put my clubs in the car. Instead of driving home I ducked into a Cashies and bought a set of clubs for $99. This set included TaylorMade 360 irons that were the GI out of the 300 series. I did not have any practice before my round and shot 1 over the stick with a super hot patch of 4 birdies in 5 holes with the longest putt being about 15ft. Sold the irons to one of my playing partners for $100 during the round.

Great yarn mate:). Thanks.

990B Luva
14th January 2015, 11:42 AM
What colour dot is that? Orange dot. I've had them for 15 years or so now.

Johnny Canuck
14th January 2015, 12:47 PM
Orange dot. I've had them for 15 years or so now.

I picked up a set of red dots pretty cheap even though the specs were well out.

There was enough in those to want to follow up and get a set in my specs.

goughy
14th January 2015, 01:19 PM
I would love some eye2+'s. But I don't belong in this thread...

Matt 3 Jab
14th January 2015, 02:14 PM
I haven't used my eye2+'s yet. Almost sold without hitting. Maybe I should try them

Oldplayer
14th January 2015, 04:35 PM
The eye 2+ are truly a great model and have stood the test of time performance wise. I have a set of both the stainless and be-cu and hit them well although the amount of offset is an acquired taste.
I also have a set of g25's that i took for a run in the comp today and they are also very good; albeit a very high ballflight. They feel better than the eye 2's on flushed shots. The insert technology would account for that probably. Only missed one shot with them today and hit some very crisp and pleasing long irons. Definitely an option if you want high and straight.

Trento
14th January 2015, 11:02 PM
I use Callaway x forged, (2013) but that can change very regularly. I chop and change a bit, from thes heads to the adams cb2's which are more offset.
I am looking to add a set of blades into the mix soon also.
I am always on the look out for a set of the legal ping eye 2's with the upside down , "karsten" stamp above the cavities, but are hard to find, especially in lefty.

Jerry Springer
15th January 2015, 06:38 AM
I have switched to Ping G30's from the i20's. Very happy with them and have shot my best round in 6 years with them. Was a Mizzy fan for years (still am) but these just work better for me.

oldracer
17th January 2015, 09:33 AM
A simple google search would have told you they are 3 degrees up.thanks for the input Jack, so kind of you as usual

Webster
17th January 2015, 11:36 AM
thanks for the input Jack, so kind of you as usual

No problem.