PDA

View Full Version : Counterbalancing a putter?

goughy
3rd January 2015, 04:19 PM
So I've got an sc mid sur (375g head) that I love, but could never really putt with it as a belly. I think I had it at 41.5" and just used it like a normal putter, before if had of this counterbalanced stuff. Had the proshop cut it down to 35" and it felt like shit. Got them to try adding weight under the grip but still don't like it. Now I read of this counterbalanced putters and think it sounds like what was unknowingly doing with it before, cept mine was a bit too long.

I see winn do one piece grips, like about 17" long up to 155g in weight. If I can pull it all apart, could I just shove some extra shaft in there to get it to an extra length I like , muck about with a grip and some weight (see some use different length dome headed bolts to add weight) and get it to something I like? I've never installed a grip but I guess it's not brain surgery, or one I have it how I like I could just get the proshop to fit it.

Am I on the right track with my thinking? And is this 38" a good starting point, or just start a bit longer and work my way down?

goughy
3rd January 2015, 04:24 PM
I guess the other thing I could think of, is I do love this putter (being the long whore I am as it's really just a ping ;)) maybe I could send it to someone who does putter restoration, and get it back looking shmick. I kind of don't mind is a bit dinged as I feel less like I have to baby it. But one of those guys could probably do the whole thing, get it well balanced and looking like new, or better. Could this be an idea?

3oneday
3rd January 2015, 05:45 PM
I cut a 43 down to 38 and reinstalled the heavy long grip. It should be fine without adding any extra weight.

goughy
3rd January 2015, 05:51 PM
Cool. Got a line on a grip already, so just gotta find my spare old shaft then I can have some fun.

AlexMc
3rd January 2015, 06:08 PM
I have a couple of those grips still in plastic if it doesn't work out mate...

razaar
3rd January 2015, 06:09 PM
Wear a heavier watch.:)

3oneday
3rd January 2015, 06:09 PM
What sort Alex, and how much?

mrbluu
4th January 2015, 01:09 AM
Goughy if u don't have a vtool to remove the grip supposedly I can use a coat hanger.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ_Hnz93EyM

goughy
4th January 2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks Bluu! When the club gripped it for me they said cause they weighted inside the top of the shaft they wouldn't be able to use air to get the grip off - it would have to be cut off. Not that I was worried but I'll give that a go first.

mrbluu
4th January 2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks Bluu! When the club gripped it for me they said cause they weighted inside the top of the shaft they wouldn't be able to use air to get the grip off - it would have to be cut off. Not that I was worried but I'll give that a go first.
No worries mate. Titty put me on to these.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_VGGR_A_cn_E_17

http://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-1l-shellite-_p1563463

goughy
4th January 2015, 09:57 AM
Yeah, grip remover won't be something I'd buy, since the rare (very rare) times I've removed a grip it's been with a stanley knife, and the grip condition justified using it! Butt I'll have a coat hanger so my problem is solved ;)

So can shellite be used as a grip solvent, is that what you mean? I have that stuff by the litre in the shop for spot cleaning fabrics. So just some double sided tape then...

Dotty
4th January 2015, 11:00 AM
Yeah, grip remover won't be something I'd buy, since the rare (very rare) times I've removed a grip it's been with a stanley knife, and the grip condition justified using it! Butt I'll have a coat hanger so my problem is solved ;)

So can shellite be used as a grip solvent, is that what you mean? I have that stuff by the litre in the shop for spot cleaning fabrics. So just some double sided tape then...
I don't know about shellite, but I found thinners/acetone didn't work with double-sided tape (evaporated too quickly).

Turps with double-sided tape works well.

3oneday
4th January 2015, 11:07 AM
I blew off my belly grip, and reinstalled with double sided tape and grip solvent. It's still moving a week later so i'm thinking some plastic cement would be better.

mrbluu
4th January 2015, 11:16 AM

I blew off my belly grip, and reinstalled with double sided tape and grip solvent. It's still moving a week later so i'm thinking some plastic cement would be better.
Boys no need for grip cement or double sided tape, just use hairspray and blow the grips on with and air compressor.

jimandr
4th January 2015, 04:11 PM
Boys no need for grip cement or double sided tape, just use hairspray and blow the grips on with and air compressor.

I can't resist this.

Bluu, you've met 3 on many occasions. Does he look like a man who would use hairspray on a regular basis?

And while I'm here... Goughy, with the amount of golf you play, why are you worrying about putters?

mrbluu
4th January 2015, 04:14 PM
I can't resist this.

Bluu, you've met 3 on many occasions. Does he look like a man who would use hairspray on a regular basis?

And while I'm here... Goughy, with the amount of golf you play, why are you worrying about putters?
If i can use hairspray then he can use hairspray [emoji39]

3oneday
4th January 2015, 04:27 PM
Lucky to have a couple of girls in my house that need it more than me ;)

I'll give it a go tomorrow when i get home, although I tend to think the grip has maybe popped a little when I blew it off, so glue many be the only thing that holds it, or I buy a 17" newy.

goughy
4th January 2015, 05:24 PM

I was wondering the same thing Jim!

I just love this putter and stuffed up by having it cut down to a short putter. So just wanna get it usable again! There's only 4 months till the Leon Treadwell Memorial Golf Day, so I don't have time to waste!

mrbluu
4th January 2015, 06:07 PM
Lucky to have a couple of girls in my house that need it more than me ;)

I'll give it a go tomorrow when i get home, although I tend to think the grip has maybe popped a little when I blew it off, so glue many be the only thing that holds it, or I buy a 17" newy.
Bring it down to my place, we can sort it out.

goughy
4th January 2015, 06:07 PM

AlexMc
6th January 2015, 07:15 AM
What sort Alex, and how much? http://m.golfsmith.com/product/30039792/winn-navy/red-17%22-putter-grip#.Have one red and one black - weigh 136 grams...

wazandnic
6th January 2015, 08:59 AM
Hey Goughy,

My mate that had me make up his Counterbalance Scotty has decided it is not for him... despite me believing it definitely helped his short putting. His problem is he has never spent a minute practicing his putting but just expects to be able to hole putts like the pro's! Anyway I am about to mix it up for him, could have the grip and 50g extension piece as per below thread available if you're interested??

He is wanting to keep the 35g weights in the head and just put it back to 35" which may be too heavy and I doubt will fix he's demons, but who am I too argue with making changes! 8)

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/41360-DIY-counterbalance-putter?p=1146304&viewfull=1#post1146304

p4m
6th January 2015, 03:35 PM
just be careful if you try counterbalance a short putter.

I had weight added to head and a counterbalance put in end of grip (still 35") made it so hard to putt with any consistency unless greens were really furry.

Gather there is a reason why they come 38"

wazandnic
6th January 2015, 03:40 PM
Yep agree, thus why I made up my mates with the 3" extension piece as the 50g counter weight.

He is not wanting a counterweight when moving back to 35" just wants to experiment witha heavy head... I don't think it is going to work personally! 8)

goughy
13th April 2015, 11:38 PM
I was wondering the same thing Jim!

I just love this putter and stuffed up by having it cut down to a short putter. So just wanna get it usable again! There's only 4 months till the Leon Treadwell Memorial Golf Day, so I don't have time to waste!
And here we are! Today cut the old grip off, cut my extension. Will use the bolt and lead tape they'd shoved in the end for some extra weight and have the grip ready to go on. Like I said, 4 months was barely enough time. Should pay at 39", and I don't mind the feel of it with the pieces kinda together. I could revert back to the old grip etc and could feel the difference.

And the way I hit the ball today Jim I have no idea why I'm bothering with it. Putting is gonna be the least of my problems!

Edit to add : and sorry I didn't reply to you Waz. I missed your post.

goughy
2nd December 2015, 08:53 AM
And here I am again. Jimandr will probably pull his hair out, since I'm only about to have my second game of the year and I'm thinking about this again!

I've got a superstroke putter grip on it but don't really like the grip. So saw this at golfworks.com
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp?pn=PG0029
Since, in essence, it's really just a ping copy and I am a bit of a ping whore...

And saw this for the actual weights
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TL0001

Can't remember what weight is shoved in the shaft, I think it's a bolt with some lead tape wrapped around it. The superstroke 17" grip on it weighs 85 grams. But the ping grip in the link is 131 grams. So maybe I won't need much at all, or any.

Does anyone know a local source for this stuff (checked the 'bay but they only have 21" grips). And does anyone know if shipping from golfworks is expensive, cause I went through some of the cart process but the only thing it would say about shipping when I changed to Aus address was 'express' with no cost associated?

benno_r
2nd December 2015, 09:10 AM
Golfworks shipping is very expensive, I definitely wouldn't bother for 1 grip.

Won't be many cheap options in Australia either I am afraid. Try Timah, he had some for sale a while back.

Jazz18
2nd December 2015, 09:26 AM
I've got a superstroke putter grip on it but don't really like the grip. So saw this at golfworks.com
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp?pn=PG0029

My local Powergolf (Castle Hill in NW Sydney) carries a similar grip made by Winn. I think you can get a 15inch version (like the TM spider s) and a 17inch version.

goughy
2nd December 2015, 11:19 AM
Ok. Well you've answered the golfworks shipping question. I'll ask at the club some time cause they stock Winn grips, which I do like.

Just looking at them and the Winn 17" ones are about the same weight as the Ping so might have to go one of those. I actually wouldn't mind a scotty one but buggers me where to find one or if I could be bothered.

pt73
2nd December 2015, 11:35 AM
Pretty sure I've got a couple of these 17" Winn grips at home that I won't be using.

http://www.winngrips.com/products/putter-grips/long-long-4/

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

goughy
2nd December 2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the offer PT.

Funny enough, found the Scotty ones. He calls them dual balance, which I guess is why my looking for counter balance didn't work. Sells them on his site.

Rang my proshop to see if they could get them. Have them the specific name and grip length and weight, and they rang their rep.

Just rang me back with $55 for the grip the two things I'm talking about, but the rep really didn't know exactly what I meant and hasn't heard of them...

RobNewy
2nd December 2015, 07:14 PM
So what are the pros and cons of counterbalancing?

Im looking at a new putter soon, and not real sure what benefit i would get with a counterbalance.

The putter im looking at comes in both counter and non.

The only CB putter i have rolled is the TM DLL +

jocker
2nd December 2015, 07:48 PM
All putters are counterbalanced.

RobNewy
2nd December 2015, 08:43 PM
All putters are counterbalanced. How so?

goughy
2nd December 2015, 09:01 PM
Mine was a belly putter, but I putted with it as a normal putter, or like you do a counter balanced putter. I didn't anchor it. I'd cut it down to 35" and it felt like crap. So figured this whole counterbalance thing would give me near the same feel as when it was belly length. I extended it to 38", have some weight in it and a superstroke grip on it, but I just don't like the grip.

Pros and cons, buggers me. I just know I liked the feel of it before cutting it to 35". But no point taking it back to 42" again.

jocker
2nd December 2015, 09:07 PM
They have a grip

RobNewy
2nd December 2015, 09:09 PM
They have a grip Fair dinkum?

goughy
11th December 2015, 06:09 PM
Pro shop just rang me back. Titleist Aus won't sell them a Scotty dual balance grip. He said SC is very particular with them and doesn't want them on anything other than his dual balance putters. Even if it was a genuine dual balance putter, it can only be regripped with that grip if the proshop actually sends the putter to them and they'll do it.

Looks like it's off to the 'Bay.

wazandnic
12th December 2015, 12:55 PM
You can buy when directly off the Scotty site and have it posted out in about a week. Prob cost you about $70 all up, but you could through some extra grips or something in the order and flog them off here to offset the costs??

http://www.scottycameron.com/store/product.aspx?zpid=862

goughy
12th December 2015, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I saw that waz. After the pro told me titleist Aus won't sell them as they don't want them on none Scotty dual balance putters, I told him Scotty's own website sells them.