PDA

View Full Version : RC cars??

goughy
13th December 2014, 12:55 PM
So we're thinking of getting Kyan one for his birthday. I don't know that much about them. He's got a crap one from WOW sight and sound, but it's pretty shit. I'm thinking of something like the old Grasshopper one I remember from when I was a kid. Offroadish looking and we have heaps of backyard to run it in, with some spots he could do jumps etc.
Thinking battery powered for now as cheaper, and less money wasted if he isn't freaked by it. Plus the guy at the shop said the fuelled ones are dearer, require tuning etc. Only thing is the battery ones don't seem to last very long till it off juice.

Anyone with any experience or suggestions?

peter_rs
13th December 2014, 11:53 PM
Rapid charges are great ... I spent some time racing the road cars.

Go for one of the major brand and spend a little more and you will be able to buy spares and upgrade it.

The range on new radio gear is great.

Do you get a choice of the remote style?

As for gas they are easy if you not need max speed.

The motors run of tune just harder to start.

If your yard has high grass gas is better

goughy
14th December 2014, 12:04 AM
What's a major brands?
The only one I've looked at so far was about $100. Really a starter set up, bout 10min run time and about 30k top speed. They said plenty of spares for them. Won't be spending the money on gas yet.
This is the one he showed me...
http://www.wingsoverthedowns.com.au/index.php?id_product=88&controller=product
Could spend a little more of worth it. But don't know if I should yet.
I know nothing about the controllers.
Grass height is proportional to my laziness.

peter_rs
14th December 2014, 07:30 AM
Hi Dean

I remember cutting tracks in the lawn as a kid so my cars would work.

Depends on your kid.

Can you get spare batteries on the first and a fast charge you need it. If they have to wait for charging it kills the fun.

Tamyia is the biggest brand in au.

If they like Lego... http://www.wingsoverthedowns.com.au/index.php?id_product=73&controller=product

Great as they build it, can do custom mods and the control is there choice

But it comes at a cost.

If they don't
http://www.wingsoverthedowns.com.au/index.php?id_product=106&controller=product

Try and get 1/10 as they are more robust and will come with a 540 motor.

I could kill a motor in a day with two batteries.

grandmasterb
14th December 2014, 09:40 AM
Everything Pete said, id say electric if he's under the age of 15ish and you/him are not mechanically minded. Talk to your local hobby shop and see what they have as ready to run set up rather than having to build to start with.

Spare battery packs & extra charger if budget allows and see how he goes with it. If he gets the bug then its so easy to move up from there. If there is a local RC club/track where you live venture down there and talk to a few people you may even find one of them nice enough to let your young bloke have ago to see what he thinks and how he likes it.

If he does get the bug have a look at hobbyking.com and he/you will save a small FORTUNE in the long run ;)

goughy
14th December 2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was looking at the cheaper ones Pete, but also looked at the Hornet and the other one you linked. Don't think we'll look at the build option just yet. I was wondering about spare batteries etc, and can you get higher capacity ones that give you longer running times? Didn't even think of a fast charger. What sort of dollars extra are you looking at for that stuff? Assuming you can source it a bit cheaper online? I guess I'm trying to keep the cost down in case he's not into it, but if he is I don't wanna get something that we'd be replacing in a year or so cause it wasn't enough.

grandmasterb
14th December 2014, 11:38 AM
Might be worth considering?

http://groupbuy.ebay.com.au/deal?itemId=141503485960

goughy
14th December 2014, 12:20 PM
So that's a fine product, especially for that price? Would certainly allow me to get extra battery and fast charger. Wouldn't normally get it this early (not needed till march) but for the right price..... hmmmm