PDA

View Full Version : Special: The 2015 Ozgolf Events Calendar

jimandr
10th December 2014, 08:41 PM
Want to be an Ozgolf tourist? Need to know when the big events are on without clicking on every sub-forum? This post is for you.

The criteria for inclusion is that the event must occur every year, it has a name and hopefully a perpetual trophy attached. They are the things that attract Ozgolf tourists from far away.

I'll add to it when information comes to hand, but I'll keep it brief here. If I can post a link to the event thread then I will.

Start planning your itineries.

December 2014.

Sunday 28th. The Canberra Christmas Classic. Single Day event at Gungahlin Lakes, but games are on in Canberra Saturday and Monday.

Hometown hero Wbennett (39pts) defended his title. Has anyone done that before?

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/41990-Canberra-Christmas-Classic

January 2015.

Friday 2nd. Brisbane New Years Bash. Single Day event at Pacific Harbour. No side events scheduled at this stage.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/42418-Brisbane-Xmas-New-Year-Bash-Pacific-Harbour-Friday-2nd-Jan-9am

February 2015.

Sat 7th and Sun 8th. The 2015 Victoria State Champs. Two day event at St Andrews Beach and RACV Cape Schank. The Friday Uncivil War at Victoria GC might be more important than the Champs itself. Other side events on Thursday and Monday.

The biggest event on our calendar. Great courses and lots of participants. It is a pity nobody cares who wins.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/41535-2015-VIC-Champs-Feb-5-9-official-thread

March 2015.

No events scheduled.

April 2015.

Sun 17. The Jaster Memorial. 4 person team ambrose event at Toowoomba City GC.

More a social occasion to catch up with friends and honour the memory of one of Ozgolf's founders, sadly no longer with us.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/42609-Leon-Treadwell-Memorial-Golf-Day-17-4-2015

Masters Monday. Cabramatta Masters Breakfast maybe?

No thread to link to yet.

May 2015.

TBC. The Queensland Masters. 1 day event, venue to be determined.

2014 Champion Iain hasn't played since. The Yellow Jacket is up for grabs.

June 2015.

Fri 26, Sat 27 and Sun 28. The NSW Winter Championships. 2 day event at Pacific Dunes and Newcastle. A Friday side event at ?

2014 Champion Benno_R cannot be allowed to win again.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/42532-NSW-Winter-Champs-26-28-June-2015

July 2015.

No events scheduled. Too cold for serious golf.

August 2015.

First week. City of Cairns Week of Golf. Leftyhoges went last year, so it counts as an Event.

September 2015.

No events scheduled. Too windy in the southern states.

October 2015.

TBC. 2015 Queensland Championships. 2 day event with probable side events.

2014 Champion Daves will use a different set of clubs each day.

November 2015.

Sat 14th, Sun 15th. The 2015 SA State Championships. 2 day event with likely side events at Royal Adelaide and Kooyonga (not yet confirmed)

2014 Champion 3puttpete needs a new name. He didn't look good in the red jacket anyway.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/42326-2015-SA-Champs-Nov-14th-15th-(provisional-dates)

This post will be edited a lot over the next 12 months, particularly when golfers reply to my PM's about other events that may be suitable for inclusion.

jimandr
10th December 2014, 08:50 PM
I thought I would add something in a separate post about Golf Tourism. We did it for the first time in 2014, and I hope we can generate some enthusiasm for the concept for 2015 and future years.

For those who have never done it, taking your clubs on the plane is easier than it sounds. I have a travel bag, and I recommend others use one, but it isn't strictly necessary. My clubs weighed about 14kg, well inside the 23kg limit, so you can stuff other things in there if you wish to travel without a second bag. The second bag cost is usually $35 by the way.

When I did the SA Champs this year, I didn't share any costs with anybody, and it cost me about $1400 all up for four days away. This cost includes air fares, car parking at the airport, hotel room rate for 4 days, car hire (with full insurance option) for 4 days, and 3 days of golf green fees. If you share the room and car hire, it would be much cheaper.

Other travellers can feel free to add their travel tips here.

oldracer
10th December 2014, 08:54 PM
great thread Jim :wink:

jimandr
10th December 2014, 09:00 PM
Gees, a reader already.

It will be better after I've put some links in.

Then I'll try to work out how to do some formatting, with bolds and underlining and stuff.

3Puttpete
10th December 2014, 09:06 PM
Not sure the initialism works for the Canberra event

highballin
10th December 2014, 09:12 PM

Catchy though has a certain ring to it.

shazza_rs
10th December 2014, 09:16 PM
The Leon day is at Toowoomba City Golf Club not Middle Ridge.

WBennett
10th December 2014, 09:47 PM

The only rednecks in Canberra come here for Summernats

LarryLong
10th December 2014, 09:51 PM
The only rednecks in Canberra come here for Summernats

What about the bloke in The Lodge?

benno_r
10th December 2014, 10:17 PM

Why not? They told me to bring my hood.

WBennett
11th December 2014, 05:59 AM
What about the bloke in The Lodge?

He is a north shore Sydney interloper.

Jarro
11th December 2014, 09:09 AM
Sunday 14th June ... Nudgee Plate.

jimandr
11th December 2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks Jarro.

With Nudgee being such a desirable location there would be an Ozgolf mutiny if I didn't give that event a prominent place.

EDIT: After further research, that prominent place is right here. It doesn't appear to have been played last year, so it doesn't meet the criteria of being an annual event.

But, if someone organises it this year, I'll put it in.

Jarro
11th December 2014, 12:23 PM
It usually gets a run every year Jim .... Shazz was just a bit lazy last year ;)

shazza_rs
11th December 2014, 01:12 PM
It actually hasn't happened for the last two years.

Will have to see where it fits with other events for the coming year.

AndyP
11th December 2014, 01:30 PM
It has fallen by the wayside like the Wynnum and McLeod Cups, although it just takes one person to organise it for it to get going again.

LeftyHoges
11th December 2014, 01:36 PM
February 2015.

Sat 7th and Sun 8th. The 2015 Victoria State Champs. Two day event at St Andrews Beach and RACV Cape Schank. The Friday Uncivil War at Victoria GC might be more important than the Champs itself. Other side events on Thursday and Monday.

The biggest event on our calendar. Great courses and lots of participants. It is a pity nobody cares who wins.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/41535-2015-VIC-Champs-Feb-5-9-official-thread

Harsh.

August 2015.

First week. City of Cairns Week of Golf. Leftyhoges went last year, so it counts as an Event.

Harsh on Marto, he was there too. And Blakey the year before.

nadg63
11th December 2014, 03:36 PM
A good thread J&R, could prove useful through the year :)

AndyP
11th December 2014, 03:49 PM
Needs formatting desperately.