PDA

View Full Version : Royal Pines vs. ???? New year options.

BUSHY
3rd December 2014, 10:52 PM
Heading down to the GC for a couple of days in early January before a few weeks in Brisbane. My wife has unwittingly booked us into Royal Pines (she wasn't aware it had a golf course at the time) because she's catching up with her friends for her birthday.
Is it the best golf option in that area? What are some "must do" courses on the GC?
Will probably play Pacific when I get to Brisbane as the in laws live in Carindale but keen to get one or two games in down the coast.

Waddzy
4th December 2014, 10:17 AM
Heading down to the GC for a couple of days in early January before a few weeks in Brisbane. My wife has unwittingly booked us into Royal Pines (she wasn't aware it had a golf course at the time) because she's catching up with her friends for her birthday.
Is it the best golf option in that area? What are some "must do" courses on the GC?
Will probably play Pacific when I get to Brisbane as the in laws live in Carindale but keen to get one or two games in down the coast.

Plenty of resort style courses on the coast mate , Sanctuary cove is always a good hit and they run a 2 for 1 deal so turns into $75 a head at the moment. I am playing there in 2 weeks so I can let you know how it looks if you like.

Brookwater is usually on a lot of must do lists for golfers , I have only walked it a few times during the Queensland open but looks the goods. Is getting out there an option?

Otherwise there's Hope Island , The Glades , Colonial and Robina woods are all on the better end of courses and a lot closer to where you will be based.

I live on the coast too mate so if your interested and the dates suit I am keen for a hit somewhere.

BUSHY
4th December 2014, 11:38 AM
Not sure where Brookwater is in relation to every thing but I'll have a car so everything is a possibility. Going to look deeper into it today.

backintheswing
4th December 2014, 12:10 PM
It's nowhere near the Gold Coast, but a few of us are playing Pacific Harbour at Brisbie Island on the 2nd Jan.

benno_r
4th December 2014, 12:15 PM
The best course on the Gold Coast is Brookwater, followed by Pacific Harbour.

backintheswing
4th December 2014, 12:20 PM
The best course on the Gold Coast is Brookwater, followed by Pacific Harbour.

This rating might change after the 20th.

benno_r
4th December 2014, 12:42 PM

http://www.planetgolf.com.au/index.php?id=400
(http://www.planetgolf.com.au/index.php?id=400)
Trees in the fairway? No chance!

Hopefully a hamburger ordered to the bunker on the 7th might fix that.

BUSHY
4th December 2014, 01:42 PM
So far, Brookwater is probably a lock for when we are in Brisbane. With regards to Sanctuary Cove can you get on the Pines or is it definitely Members only? The Palms looks good so does Pacific Harbour. How do these rates against Royal Pines? If I can only play once will it be worth the drive out to Sanctuary Cove rather than have a hit where I am?

AndyP
4th December 2014, 01:45 PM
I'd have Royal Pines ahead of both of the Sanctuary Cove courses.

Waddzy
4th December 2014, 01:47 PM
So far, Brookwater is probably a lock for when we are in Brisbane. With regards to Sanctuary Cove can you get on the Pines or is it definitely Members only? The Palms looks good so does Pacific Harbour. How do these rates against Royal Pines? If I can only play once will it be worth the drive out to Sanctuary Cove rather than have a hit where I am?
Rare to get on the Pines unless booked for a decent function I believe. I would say SC is worth going out for but I don't know if you would enjoy it any more or less than Royal Pines as I havent played RP since last years champs when we played off the PGA tee's. If your having a hit at Brooky then you've certainly got the top quality golf sorted and I would say it might be best for you to simply organize a hit at Royal Pines for convenience given your staying there I am sure they can offer a good rate to add on a game.

benno_r
4th December 2014, 02:28 PM
I would rate it the following around Brissy / Gold Coast (of tracks I have played):

1st: Brooky
2nd: Pac Harbour
3rd: Indooroopilly
4th: SC Pines (but wouldn't pay $140 for the privilege)
210th: SC Palms
987th: Northlakes

golfbound
4th December 2014, 02:35 PM
The Glades is always fun

BUSHY
4th December 2014, 02:40 PM
Wow why North Lakes so low? I played there last time and enjoyed it as a single in the middle of the week. In saying that I didn't actually think it was worth the drive from Carindale.

golfbound
4th December 2014, 02:45 PM
not a fan of North Lakes either

ZENNON
4th December 2014, 02:46 PM
I would rate it the following around Brissy / Gold Coast (of tracks I have played):

Haha, didn't know there were than many golf courses in the region!

benno_r
4th December 2014, 03:00 PM
Wow why North Lakes so low? I played there last time and enjoyed it as a single in the middle of the week. In saying that I didn't actually think it was worth the drive from Carindale.

I play golf anywhere and everywhere - the jungles of Malaysia to the basic old Canungra Army track. Everytime I walk off with a smile, glad that I was out playing golf.

Except Northlakes. Joint just sucks!

Waddzy
4th December 2014, 03:04 PM
I play golf anywhere and everywhere - the jungles of Malaysia to the basic old Canungra Army track. Everytime I walk off with a smile, glad that I was out playing golf.

Where do you rank Carrara gardens 12 hole course then? Surely in the 1000's :D.

PeteyD
4th December 2014, 03:09 PM

+100000000000

benno_r
4th December 2014, 03:09 PM
Where do you rank Carrara gardens 12 hole course then? Surely in the 1000's :D.

I'll do the full list then (all actually played):
5th: Arundel Hills
6th: Palm Meadows
7th: Tambourine Mountain
8th:Emerald Lakes
9th: Virginia
10th: Keperra
11th: Canungra Army
12th: GCCC
13th: Lakeside
14th: Carrara Gardens
15th-209th: Everything else
211th-986th: Various Paddocks and council parks

BUSHY
4th December 2014, 03:15 PM

Noted.
I think Royal Pines is definitely a go-er for the 7th. Now I think I have to pick between Palm Meadows, Lakelands, Colonial or the Glades based on their location to me. Is Palmer Gold Coast the old Robina Woods?

Waddzy
4th December 2014, 03:15 PM

Did you play my home track (GCCC) in its prime years or just liked it for the layout and didn't care about condition?

And Bushy if you play Brooky let me know if you don't mind someone joining you.

benno_r
4th December 2014, 03:17 PM
Did you play my home track (GCCC) in its prime years or just liked it for the layout and didn't care about condition?

I played roughly 2008 when I was ultimate chopper, think I shot 115 or something like that. Condition wasn't in its prime but wasn't bad. Didn't mind a few holes at the start, and most of the holes north of the club house, but not overly memorable.

BUSHY
4th December 2014, 03:18 PM

No worries mate. Will do. It will probably be the second week of January once I'm back in Brisbane.

I think it is a must this trip, hopefully squeeze in Pacific Harbour as well. Google Maps puts it as an hour drive from the outlaws.

golfbound
4th December 2014, 03:19 PM
Noted.
I think Royal Pines is definitely a go-er for the 7th. Now I think I have to pick between Palm Meadows, Lakelands, Colonial or the Glades based on their location to me. Is Palmer Gold Coast the old Robina Woods?

I would do Lakelands then the glades then Colonial ( Robina Woods is better than Colonial and just around the corner) with Palm meadows last

Looney
4th December 2014, 04:15 PM

I hope it does but the grand is a course you either love or hate so it may not change

jimandr
4th December 2014, 05:45 PM
I might make a more expansive comment after playing The Grand tomorrow, but I think Bushy's decision may come down to how much he values his money.

My understanding is that the super expensive Port Douglas course (can't think of the name) has a lot in common with some of the Gold Coast resort courses. If paying big bucks doesn't worry him, he might enjoy them. If value for money is important, we might direct him to other options.

Courty
4th December 2014, 07:13 PM
Now I think I have to pick between Palm Meadows, Lakelands, Colonial or the Glades based on their location to me. Is Palmer Gold Coast the old Robina Woods?

I think Palmer Gold Coast is the old Colonial?

Of that list, I'd play Lakelands, Glades, Palm Meadows, daylight, (Palmer) Colonial in that order or preference.

My understanding is that the super expensive Port Douglas course (can't think of the name) has a lot in common with some of the Gold Coast resort courses. If paying big bucks doesn't worry him, he might enjoy them. If value for money is important, we might direct him to other options.

I can only assume you are talking about the Sheraton Mirage course? Over-priced dog turd.

BUSHY
4th December 2014, 07:21 PM
I hope you're talking about Palmer Sea Reef (formerly Sea Temple). Because Mirage is as Courty says. TURD!
I don't mind paying the fee asked at Lakelands, Royal Pines isn't going to be much cheaper as a guest. It's not like I'm doing it on a weekly basis.

Ron Burgundy
4th December 2014, 07:23 PM
I assumed he meant Sea Temple. Mirage is rubbish. Any of the courses on the mentioned so far are much better. Even colonial and North Lakes. And Brookwater would be worth the drive but it's not on the Gold Coast. There are lots of options within 15 min of Royal Pines.

BUSHY
4th December 2014, 07:46 PM
Whoops double post.

AndyP
4th December 2014, 08:42 PM
Palmer Gold Coast is the Robina Woods course. It is very good.
Palmer Colonial was Colonial and before that Paradise Springs. It is meh.
Palmer, Clive is a fat and rich "politician".

aussieashley
4th December 2014, 08:55 PM
Personally, I like The Glades and Robina Woods. I've never played Lakelands but I've only heard good things about it too.

3Puttpete
4th December 2014, 09:08 PM
Was the 2013 QLD champs fri-mon order royal pines, glades, palm meadows, lakelands?

If so, I'd go royal pines (the 18 we played, not over the road), lakelands, palm meadows, the glades.

3Puttpete
4th December 2014, 09:12 PM

Nudgee 15th. Nice.

BUSHY
7th December 2014, 11:23 AM
Ok, Royal Pines is in and now just deciding between Lakelands and the Glades. Looks like Lakelands is leading. One question though... My wife's mate is bringing her husband, he isn't a golfer. Are there any restrictions at these clubs with regards to having a GA handicap? It doesn't appear so...

Daves
7th December 2014, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't think so. Why would they care? they are just happy to take any golfer's dollars.

At the moment I would think Lakelands is in the better condition by a fair margin.

BUSHY
7th December 2014, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't think so. Why would they care? they are just happy to take any golfer's dollars.

At the moment I would think Lakelands is in the better condition by a fair margin.

Thats good, I've read alot about the condition of Lakelands always being very good since it opened. He's not going to be fussed but he will play wherever..

So far;

5th>> Royal Pines
6th>> Lakekands
7th>> Links Hope Island

??12th-16th??>> Brookwater & Pacific Harbour. (Tentative)

FIL has a good mate that is a member at Brookwater, there is a chance we will be there a couple of times over the course of the two weeks. Reviews for Pacific Harbour are very good for the price, we're hoping to get out there but three games across my wife's birthday on the Coast might mean Pacific Harbour gets the chop for Pacific down the road.

If anyone gets to these courses before the first week of Jan please let us know what they're playing like.
Could be some bulk high quality golf courses getting a good run this holiday.

markTHEblake
7th December 2014, 11:19 PM
Ok, Royal Pines is in and now just deciding between Lakelands and the Glades. Looks like Lakelands is leading. One question though... My wife's mate is bringing her husband, he isn't a golfer. Are there any restrictions at these clubs with regards to having a GA handicap? It doesn't appear so...

Toss a coin, but if playing Lakelands play off the back tees (or 2nd from back). Its a doddle if you play it off the white and you will walk away wondering why you bothered.
Glades is a very good course relative to its location, but condition varies. I played lakelands in October and it was mint.

If your mate pays, he can play. no restrictions here.

BUSHY
7th December 2014, 11:29 PM
Toss a coin, but if playing Lakelands play off the back tees (or 2nd from back). Its a doddle if you play it off the white and you will walk away wondering why you bothered.
Glades is a very good course relative to its location, but condition varies. I played lakelands in October and it was mint.

If your mate pays, he can play. no restrictions here.

Cheers MTB. Can't wait to be honest.

markTHEblake
7th December 2014, 11:34 PM
there are no must do courses here though.

DONT ever play SC Palms. You will want to punch anyone that told you to play there.
Murwillumbah is the sleeper, but its a bit far out for you. about 40mins drive.

Royal Pines may stack up Ok as you will be playing the new holes.

PeteyD
8th December 2014, 07:39 AM
there are no must do courses here though.

DONT ever play SC Palms. You will want to punch anyone that told you to play there.
Murwillumbah is the sleeper, but its a bit far out for you. about 40mins drive.

Royal Pines may stack up Ok as you will be playing the new holes.

This.

BUSHY
28th December 2014, 01:10 PM
Hmmmm, after planning a game at Links Hope Island I've just found that the course is getting renovated on the 5th of Jan. I'm going to have to find out how much is being done. The rate hasn't changed much though, $110.

markTHEblake
28th December 2014, 01:19 PM
Mate of mine lives there, remind me later and I can ask him, He goes for a jog around the course almost everyday. ( not on the course, the residents have foot/cycle paths around the place)

yoyo
28th December 2014, 01:32 PM
I just played there a few days ago, hard to believe they're doing 'renovations'?!?? The course is in pristine nick.

BUSHY
28th December 2014, 01:36 PM
Perfect timing I guess. I don't think I'll be shelling out $110 for that.

BUSHY
28th December 2014, 01:37 PM
I might give them a call just to check. But you don't close the course for a whole day if it's minor Reno's.

MAZA68
28th December 2014, 02:11 PM
ISG have some good rates for the Glades (around $69), personally wouldn't waste $110 on Links Hope Island, Palmer Gold Coast (Robina Woods) is a another good option and a different layout to the resort type options around the Coast.
With the bit a rain around this week the courses will be looking nice early Jan.

BUSHY
30th December 2014, 07:23 AM
I've got the Gold Coast sorted, what about some Brisbane courses? Can you get on RQ for less than the $220 mentioned on the net (worth it???), also is it worth trying to hit up Brisbane GC? Thanks for the help so far.

Steve57
30th December 2014, 08:48 AM
I've got the Gold Coast sorted, what about some Brisbane courses? Can you get on RQ for less than the $220 mentioned on the net (worth it???), also is it worth trying to hit up Brisbane GC? Thanks for the help so far.

Marto is a member at Brisbane. Shoot him a PM.

yoyo
30th December 2014, 03:16 PM
RQ is not worth it.

sms316
30th December 2014, 03:19 PM
RQ is not worth it.
No good? What courses are better in SEQ?

yoyo
30th December 2014, 03:22 PM
Brookwater

PeteyD
30th December 2014, 03:23 PM
Seriously? nah.

yoyo
30th December 2014, 03:25 PM
What's good about RQ? For their price and how much they rate themselves I want a wristy at the turn and a full service at the 19th.

yoyo
30th December 2014, 03:27 PM
Brookwater is rated the hardest course in the state, if you had the opportunity to play it, not being from around here, why wouldn't you take up the challenge ?

PeteyD
30th December 2014, 03:41 PM
Agreed on the price for RQ. Bit rich, but it is a great course.

Hills International is probably harder, rates 76 scratch against a 75 (I know the slope is lower) and I would not recommend anyone play there.

Daves
30th December 2014, 03:48 PM
Imo you play Brookwater for the Augusta like vistas and the conditioning, not its hardness. Playing off the back tees is folly anyway, even the Pros struggle of the blacks. RQ is a totally different style of course, much more subtle, lots of strategy options and better greens. I would happily play RQ off any of the Tees and still enjoy it, that is the difference. Price is an issue for RQ, but it is quite reasonable if you can get a member invite.

yoyo
30th December 2014, 03:48 PM
yeh i must get out to Hills one day, bloody long way though...

PeteyD
30th December 2014, 04:23 PM
Bloody long way for a bloody long course!

sms316
30th December 2014, 07:25 PM
What's good about RQ? For their price and how much they rate themselves I want a wristy at the turn and a full service at the 19th. Apart from the green complexes and options on every hole? Yeah, probably not much. Brookwater is a shitheap IMO. Just a dull grind.

markTHEblake
30th December 2014, 09:59 PM
Bloody long way for a bloody long course! Bloody long way to shoot 90 too

gazgolf1
31st December 2014, 02:05 PM
Brookwater is a shitheap IMO. Just a dull grind.

+1 Brookwater = Not fun.

Hatchman
31st December 2014, 03:16 PM
+1 Brookwater = Not fun.

I thought it was great.

MAZA68
31st December 2014, 08:11 PM
yeh i must get out to Hills one day, bloody long way though...

40 minutes from Brisbane, its a long course when its soft but most of the time it is dry and there is plenty of run.

yoyo
31st December 2014, 11:06 PM
Good point

Shreko
1st January 2015, 08:25 AM
Bloody long way for a bloody long course!

I am a member there and last month it was the longest I have ever seen it set up, all pins were as far back on the greens and every tee was at its maximum distance, it would, do normally be 6900 mas but it felt 7100. All bar 1 par 3 were over 220mt, :lol:

Shreko
1st January 2015, 08:29 AM
I thought it was great.

I actually rate Brookwater now that most of the bush undergrowth has been cleared, before this your ball would just disappear into the nether and you would reload from where u stood

yoyo
1st January 2015, 09:29 AM
I assume they're still enforcing their hit provisional/ take immediate drop rule though?