PDA

View Full Version : creating good roll on the green. Getting consistent skid time drills

Coldtopper
26th November 2014, 10:07 PM
Anyone working on reducing their skid time with the flat stick? What's working

BUSHY
26th November 2014, 10:42 PM
Method putter. [emoji6]

I moved the ball to just inside my left heel, slight forward shaft lean and focus on trying to roll it instead of hitting it. I also use an iping which helps me keep it relatively consistent by tracking numbers. There are lots of theories about ideal 'launch' conditions in putting but I've found that no matter what I do if you can get a black line to roll end over end consistently then you are making pure contact with minimal skidding.

Daves
27th November 2014, 06:35 AM
Very similar to what Bushy describes and really focus on a smooth, full follow through.

Jarro
27th November 2014, 07:11 AM
Ball way forward in your stance, and take the putter back as though it feels like it touching the ground for the first foot of its journey.

I was actually concentrating on this yesterday as our greens are recovering from a recent reno ....... rolled some nice putts as a result.

3oneday
27th November 2014, 08:43 AM
Anyone working on reducing their skid time with the flat stick? What's workingI can't get down there fast enough after I've hit it to see the length of the skid.

Scifisicko
27th November 2014, 04:36 PM
YES! 1.5* loft and funky putter face, making sure I hover the putter at address and strike around the mid line...high speed photography shows its working.

razaar
28th November 2014, 06:13 PM
Topper, why is the skid a problem?

grandmasterb
28th November 2014, 06:46 PM
I've been practicing the gate drill from 4-5 feet using only one hand at a time then both hands. Between doing this and putting from 10-20 feet blading a wedge my putting has improved so much in just a few weeks.

BUSHY
28th November 2014, 08:09 PM
Topper, why is the skid a problem?

It's all about maintaining inertia. If a ball skids it invariably bounces with some back spin before eventually settling into a roll. It also is more "out of control" than a ball that has a pure roll. Think of MOI in a club and how it effects the stability of the head, the higher the MOI the more stable and forgiving it is.

With a ball, maintaining the inertia by limiting skid allows the ball to roll in a stable condition for longer, resisting imperfections in the green which keeps it online for longer and means you have more chance of holing it.

There's an experiment you can do where you get a bike wheel in between your hands and get some one to spin it fast. If you keep it level you won't feel any forces but if you try and tilt the axis of the wheel you can feel the inertia forces working against you.

Hope that's not too complicated.

Coldtopper
28th November 2014, 09:02 PM
Topper, why is the skid a problem? im interested in seeing posts in regards to skid time. My little local course has poa greens and the ball tends to bounce. Only find it a issue on poa as highlighted by Bushy below

razaar
28th November 2014, 09:40 PM
The scientific publication I have in my golf library outlines how the ball leaves the putter face with none or minimal spin depending on the length of the putt and the loft of the putter face. The ball slides or bounces and slides on separation until friction with the green's surface slows it down and imparts forward spin. When the speed of the ball equals the speed of the forward spin (the speed at which the circumference of the ball is turning around its center) sliding friction stops and the ball simply rolls.
The estimated percentage of the skiding phase of the overall length of the putt is close to 20%, depending on the greens surface.

Daves
28th November 2014, 09:45 PM
The scientific publication I have in my golf library outlines how the ball leaves the putter face with none or minimal spin depending on the length of the putt and the loft of the putter face. The ball slides or bounces and slides on separation until friction with the green's surface slows it down and imparts forward spin. When the speed of the ball equals the speed of the forward spin (the speed at which the circumference of the ball is turning around its center) sliding friction stops and the ball simply rolls.
The estimated percentage of the skiding phase of the overall length of the putt is close to 20%, depending on the greens surface.

True, but you still need to get a proper roll on the ball past the 20% ( I would suggest closer to 10%) mark. Playing cored greens recently has highlighted how important roll is.

Coldtopper
28th November 2014, 11:10 PM
The estimated percentage of the skiding phase of the overall length of the putt is close to 20%, depending on the greens surface. Most players wouldnt have a clue about skid time and the management of the stroke I wouldnt use estimates in scientific publications due to the unforseen variables involved in a players abilities to hit the putt.

3Puttpete
28th November 2014, 11:38 PM
Buy a Yes! Putter

highballin
29th November 2014, 06:15 AM
Buy a Yes! Putter

No

Coldtopper
29th November 2014, 07:14 AM
No agree you shouldnt take any putting advice from a 3 putt guy

3Puttpete
29th November 2014, 08:06 AM
No

You know you're missing out

virge666
29th November 2014, 06:00 PM
Check out the Nike videos... They do a tonne of info on this.

Pelz had also done a lot of investigation on the subject.

Scotty Cameron also has done vids on it.

It depends on grass and length of grass... But higher grass requires higher loft.

I find a higher lofted putter on poa beneficial.

Coldtopper
29th November 2014, 09:22 PM
Check out the Nike videos... They do a tonne of info on this.

Pelz had also done a lot of investigation on the subject.

Scotty Cameron also has done vids on it.

It depends on grass and length of grass... But higher grass requires higher loft.

I find a higher lofted putter on poa beneficial.
cheers virge. Might give this a roll

Progolfgear
30th November 2014, 03:11 PM
Something that has always worked well for me is to work on spine angle and shoulder plane.

Keep the left shoulder high/right shoulder low through impact.