PDA

View Full Version : Rattle

live4golf
26th November 2014, 11:22 AM
Got a driver, it rattles. Does not appear to be the head, advised it is epoxy...how do I get it out?

TIA team :)

Dangals
26th November 2014, 11:26 AM
isn't it the ozgolf way to just buy a new one and flog that one off cheap?

live4golf
26th November 2014, 11:28 AM
isn't it the ozgolf way to just buy a new one and flog that one off cheap?

Apologies, I forgot myself :)

PeteyD
26th November 2014, 11:29 AM
Blow off grip, tip rattle bit out of shaft. Blow grip back on.

mrbluu
26th November 2014, 11:29 AM
Have you tried taking the grip off and seeing if you can blow the loose bit out???

live4golf
26th November 2014, 11:36 AM
tried that, no good...well, cut grip off needed replacing. put coat hanger up to try and dislodge, no go. Pulled weights out of head to see if it was in there, wasn't.

virge666
26th November 2014, 11:41 AM
sure it is in the head ?

live4golf
26th November 2014, 12:11 PM
sure it is in the head ?

Pretty sure it is not in the head Virge. I have pulled out the 3 weights and can see in there, nothing floating around.

TheNuclearOne
26th November 2014, 12:11 PM
What type of driver? Also, can you shake it and still get the rattle now? Could you before? Give the shaft butt end a vertical tap on a towel the ground just to make sure the epoxy isn't in there.

live4golf
26th November 2014, 12:15 PM
What type of driver? Also, can you shake it and still get the rattle now? Could you before? Give the shaft butt end a vertical tap on a towel the ground just to make sure the epoxy isn't in there.

It is a Crazy FX 435. I can hear the rattle when I tap it on the ground, have tried tapping it out...nothing. Could it be between the end of the shaft and the bottom of the hosel?

Coldtopper
26th November 2014, 12:26 PM
Its probably no good I will give you $50 for it ;)

TheNuclearOne
26th November 2014, 12:28 PM
It is a Crazy FX 435. I can hear the rattle when I tap it on the ground, have tried tapping it out...nothing. Could it be between the end of the shaft and the bottom of the hosel?

Ok, orthodox glued head then. You'd think you've done enough for it not to be in the shaft.

Boil a pot of water and sit most of the head underwater in it for 60-90 seconds. Immediately give the head a good hard level thump with the sole thump on a hard surface that has a towel or something on it. I simply double up a tea towel on my kitchen bench beside the pot. I don't use the shaft or grip end to do this for obvious reasons, i use another towel and hold the head in one hand with the other holding the shaft just above it.

The idea is to soften the inherent rattle stop in the head so that the piece embeds when you thump it down. You then let the head cool. Being impatient i run cold water over it, give it 5-10 then check the result. I'll repeat this up to say, 3 times if need be. If it stops you know it's in the head which it should be. Sometimes it's problem over, other times it comes back sooner or later.

You'd soon find out if it's in the head regardless. If it's in the head i'd be looking at getting it out. If it's in the head we can go from there.

live4golf
26th November 2014, 12:34 PM
Ok, orthodox glued head then. You'd think you've done enough for it not to be in the shaft.

Boil a pot of water and sit most of the head underwater in it for 60-90 seconds. Immediately give the head a good hard level thump with the sole thump on a hard surface that has a towel or something on it. I simply double up a tea towel on my kitchen bench beside the pot. I don't use the shaft or grip end to do this for obvious reasons, i use another towel and hold the head in one hand with the other holding the shaft just above it.

The idea is to soften the inherent rattle stop in the head so that the piece embeds when you thump it down. You then let the head cool. Being impatient i run cold water over it, give it 5-10 then check the result. I'll repeat this up to say, 3 times if need be. If it stops you know it's in the head which it should be. Sometimes it's problem over, other times it comes back sooner or later.

You'd soon find out if it's in the head regardless. If it's in the head i'd be looking at getting it out. If it's in the head we can go from there.

Sweet, will give that a go

live4golf
26th November 2014, 12:34 PM
Its probably no good I will give you $50 for it ;)

will keep this in mind :)

virge666
26th November 2014, 02:11 PM
Drop it off to me... At work.

I will sort it out

oldracer
26th November 2014, 05:34 PM
TNO, tried that with the 3 deep I bought off you and it turned out to be a shim, or bit of, in the hosel, Chappy pulled shaft, got the little sucker and happily ever after

TheNuclearOne
27th November 2014, 02:47 AM
TNO, tried that with the 3 deep I bought off you and it turned out to be a shim, or bit of, in the hosel, Chappy pulled shaft, got the little sucker and happily ever after

You'd have to add hotmelt to catch a shim, bit big. Trying it will confirm it's in the head. It's probably one of about three things all of which are better fully out. It's unreal, even a bit of epoxy sounds like a BB pellet.

3oneday
27th November 2014, 09:41 AM
Heat gun the rear of the head with the face facing the sky. Stay away from the hosel.

Boiling water may do it, but a heat gun on 300 degrees would be easier.

Leftfoot75
27th November 2014, 10:09 AM
I had a similar issue a few years ago. Tapping the driver on the ground I can hear and feel the rattle. But when shaking the whole driver there was no rattle.
It turned out to be a long piece of epoxy that was glued on one side and loose on the other (inside the grip end of the shaft).