PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Masters 2014

FuzzyJuzzy
19th November 2014, 09:55 AM
Very keen for this year's Aussie Masters - for a number of reasons, but most certainly to get a good look at Metropolitan. I've not played golf in Melbourne, and obviously there's so many cracking courses on the Sandbelt and Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath get the most attention, followed by Victoria (from what I gather). But based purely on what I've seen in golf course books and on Metro's website, that place just looks insane. Best fairways in the world, they seem to say. How do you blokes who are more familiar with Metropolitan rate it against the other Sandbelt courses?
Oh, I'd love to see Scotty grab three in a row, but I'd love to see Ogilvy or Jarrod Lyle get up as well.

pt73
19th November 2014, 10:22 AM
I would rate Metro as #3 after RM and Kingston Heath.

It'll be interesting to see what the pros shoot around there as from my memories when you miss the fairway on some holes you'll be lucky to find your ball in the the tea tree etc.

Coldtopper
19th November 2014, 10:51 AM
93 Open best conditions ever ! Word is that is as good today. Played there a few months ago and it was looking great. Spanner will not like this but the course under Claytons design is even better than it played before! Plenty of trees and scrub removed looks awsome plays even better! Maybe 3rd best in Victoria but often best conditions!

oncewasagolfer
19th November 2014, 04:56 PM
Is this on regular tv can't find it in the guide?

FuzzyJuzzy
19th November 2014, 05:23 PM
It's on Channel 7 - live 1230-1730 all four days, that's in Sydney, at least. If you have the PGA Tour of Australasia app, the details are in there. Can't wait:).

oncewasagolfer
19th November 2014, 06:06 PM
Ok fuzz thanks didn't show up on the electronic guide.

FuzzyJuzzy
19th November 2014, 08:12 PM
Ok fuzz thanks didn't show up on the electronic guide.

No worries mate. Good thing it's on 7 and not 7Mate or 7Two or OneHD - one (or more) of those bastard channels can't be IQ'ued with Foxtel. There was golf on one of them earlier this year - you could imagine my disappointment:(.

aym
20th November 2014, 12:58 PM
is the line up always like this (bit sub par)? I thought it attracted more International players in past years? I remember one year we had Sergio and Tiger and a number of other PGA tour players? Or am I getting it mixed up...

3Puttpete
20th November 2014, 01:05 PM
is the line up always like this (bit sub par)? I thought it attracted more International players in past years? I remember one year we had Sergio and Tiger and a number of other PGA tour players? Or am I getting it mixed up...

There's $11.5 million on offer to the European tour players in Dubai this week (although Rory has already won $2 million of that). That'd explain their absences.

Shreko
20th November 2014, 02:35 PM
any chance they are live streaming anywhere?

FuzzyJuzzy
20th November 2014, 02:39 PM
There's $11.5 million on offer to the European tour players in Dubai this week (although Rory has already won $2 million of that). That'd explain their absences.

Yep, plus last year the Aussie Masters had a few overseas ring-ins thanks to the World Cup being held at Royal Melbourne.
And in general, from what I've seen over the years the Australian PGA and Masters tournaments have much less pulling power (in terms of top-shelf overseas players) than the Australian Open, which obviously has a lot more history to it as well.

Coldtopper
20th November 2014, 03:37 PM
Yep, plus last year the Aussie Masters had a few overseas ring-ins thanks to the World Cup being held at Royal Melbourne.
And in general, from what I've seen over the years the Australian PGA and Masters tournaments have much less pulling power (in terms of top-shelf overseas players) than the Australian Open, which obviously has a lot more history to it as well. In world golf terms they are all shit! You could be playing for better coin in Manila this week!
Great to see not many white belts and fluro!

dannycallaz
20th November 2014, 04:07 PM
Down in melbourne for Friday and the wknd. Heading to metrop to follow Scotty and Ogilvy and Ruffles in the morning. Pumped!

spanner039
20th November 2014, 06:23 PM
Spanner will not like this but the course under Claytons design is even better than it played before!!

Spent the day out there today even saw some of the course, I like Clayton's stuff

As for the course it is meh, i do like the reveg work but not a patch on Vic. Course in as good as nick as anything no stripes!!!

Going to be a great weekend go bowdich !!!!!

Coldtopper
20th November 2014, 07:08 PM
Spent the day out there today even saw some of the course, I like Clayton's stuff

As for the course it is meh, i do like the reveg work but not a patch on Vic. Course in as good as nick as anything no stripes!!!

Going to be a great weekend go bowdich !!!!! Any fluro or white belts?

spanner039
20th November 2014, 07:11 PM
Any fluro or white belts?

No Fluro, plenty white pants and belts, same as fluro i guess.

Coldtopper
20th November 2014, 07:41 PM
No Fluro, plenty white pants and belts, same as fluro i guess. You woud expect plenty of white pants at Metro! How bad is the play list some interesting golf watching id imagine!

spanner039
20th November 2014, 07:48 PM
Not dissi'n but not a lot of depth this week, maybe 20 odd that can play.

Saw some shocker shots, we were more interested in looking at grass

Coldtopper
20th November 2014, 07:54 PM
Today to 93 comparison? Plenty of great reports

spanner039
21st November 2014, 05:05 AM
The course looks pretty good as it always does, I thought it looked better for the world match play but it's only in the presentation, surfaces are as good as anything I have seen

Overnight rain has softened it a bit but the greens looked pure.

Coldtopper
21st November 2014, 07:15 AM
The course looks pretty good as it always does, I thought it looked better for the world match play but it's only in the presentation, surfaces are as good as anything I have seen

Overnight rain has softened it a bit but the greens looked pure. The club deserves the praises it has been getting after thier recent tough time. The recent debt seems to have been taken care of! Great to hear that one of the best courses is back on track and playing fantastic.

mrbluu
21st November 2014, 08:44 AM
And in general, from what I've seen over the years the Australian PGA and Masters tournaments have much less pulling power (in terms of top-shelf overseas players) than the Australian Open, which obviously has a lot more history to it as well.

sounds like you need to get IQ2.....

FuzzyJuzzy
21st November 2014, 09:09 AM
sounds like you need to get IQ2.....

How's IQ2 differ from IQHD (which is what we've got)? Like most of us, my IQ is always around 95% full - with golf stuff, much to my Wife's dismay:).

FuzzyJuzzy
21st November 2014, 09:15 AM
Metropolitan looks amazing! How about those aerial shots where you see how uniform and consistent the fairways are? Carpet-like, for sure. And the greenside bunkering with the sharp edging looks amazing. Was nice to hear Ogilvy saying yesterday Metro has, "the best fairways in the world and probably the best greens in the world". High praise from a bloke who's a golf architecture nerd who has played the likes of Pine Valley and Cypress Point, to name a couple amongst many.

Right now I'm watching the DP World Tour Champs and the commentators are ranting on about how amazing the course conditioning is. And they're not wrong at all. But Jumeirah Golf Estates and Metropolitan Golf Club…it's chalk and cheese man...

Craig_Syd
21st November 2014, 11:48 AM
How's IQ2 differ from IQHD (which is what we've got)? Like most of us, my IQ is always around 95% full - with golf stuff, much to my Wife's dismay:). I think the issue here is actually on Foxtel Satellite many of those stations are not available while on Cable Foxtel they are.....

Captain Nemo
21st November 2014, 10:19 PM
Oh well, at least Perske will have the weekend off to visit some of Melbourne's "establishments "
!
:)

Coldtopper
22nd November 2014, 08:23 AM
Oh well, at least Perske will have the weekend off to visit some of Melbourne's "establishments "
:) maybe getting inked up some more! Needs to give it away imo.
I want to see the Sinnot boy hit it might make the long journey into town. From what Ive seen on TV this kid has it all.

Charger
22nd November 2014, 09:19 AM
I caught a half hour or so of the coverage yesterday and was impressed with the course. Also impressed (yet again) of the way channel 7 put on the golf. I got to see a lot of Scott, Ogilvy ect...and not just the putt-a-thon that overseas broadcasts usually are. Its refreshing.

FuzzyJuzzy
22nd November 2014, 09:41 AM
Sinnot looks the goods - he's got that tall, wirey physique that's perfect for golf. One of the commentators yesterday was saying Sinnot is a member at Metropolitan and plays off +5. Solid.

Coldtopper
22nd November 2014, 10:11 AM
Sinnot looks the goods - he's got that tall, wirey physique that's perfect for golf. One of the commentators yesterday was saying Sinnot is a member at Metropolitan and plays off +5. Solid. The boy comes from the western suburbs and appears to have the fire required to have a crack. I like his action and smashes it plus he has a great set of hands! One player to watch into the future

Icestorm959
22nd November 2014, 02:25 PM
Adam Scott having major problems in the bunkers today.

Progolfgear
22nd November 2014, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know where I would find a live stream of the telecast?

No TV :(

talbo
22nd November 2014, 02:39 PM
The boy comes from the western suburbs and appears to have the fire required to have a crack. I like his action and smashes it plus he has a great set of hands! One player to watch into the future

Apparently clocked up to 135mph! Hits it further than Rory and Bubba!!! WTF

blurry
23rd November 2014, 04:39 PM
You beauty , spargo just said "what a c$&t of a shot " live on national tv 🙊😳😱

Icestorm959
23rd November 2014, 05:50 PM
Good win by Cullen, you can tell he really needed this victory. Close but no cigar from Adam, interesting that he's gone back to his old putter.

talbo
23rd November 2014, 06:08 PM
Awesome trap shot on 18 for Cullen, deserved to win!

Adam had plenty of chances in the last 3 rounds....... Should've won by plenty.

wizard_of_oz
23rd November 2014, 06:14 PM
Valiant effort by Scotty. 4 shots back heading into the final round on a tough course and finished 1 shot from a playoff is very good.

AndyP
23rd November 2014, 09:47 PM
I played with Cullen at Pro-am two years ago and he was a really nice guy. It is great to see that he had a win today.

Wardy101
23rd November 2014, 10:30 PM
Awesome trap shot on 18 for Cullen, deserved to win!

Adam had plenty of chances in the last 3 rounds....... Should've won by plenty.

+1. Think he will remember that shot out of the bunker for a very long time.