PDA

View Full Version : How to get body behind the ball without swaying?

FuzzyJuzzy
7th November 2014, 12:25 PM
Hey Dudes,

I used to be a bit of a swayer off the ball on the backswing. I'm not as bad as I was, but still have the sway going a bit.
My question is (when you're hitting driver in particular), how do you sufficiently get your body/weight behind the ball (so you can hit up on the ball) WITHOUT swaying off the ball. I'm trying to be a bit more conscious about coiling my upper body instead of swaying on the backswing, but when I do this I also feel like I'm in danger of coming into the ball too steeply. I know I need to improve my AoA on my driver as well - get it a bit more on the up. Cheers Gents.

Dangals
7th November 2014, 12:43 PM
The thing that worked for me was to feel like my lower half was in a barrel and only had room to rotate rather than shift. Then just turn the upper half over the lower...

mrbluu
7th November 2014, 12:48 PM
Buy a new driver???

benno_r
7th November 2014, 12:51 PM
Buy a new driver???

Classic Bluu moment there! And +1

FuzzyJuzzy
7th November 2014, 12:51 PM
Buy a new driver???

Hahaha…the OzGolf way hey?:).

FuzzyJuzzy
7th November 2014, 12:56 PM
The thing that worked for me was to feel like my lower half was in a barrel and only had room to rotate rather than shift. Then just turn the upper half over the lower...

Thanks mate. Will give that a whirl. I guess when you read stuff about getting behind the ball on backswing, the first thing your body starts to do is sway a bit. Cheers.

mrbluu
7th November 2014, 12:59 PM
Hahaha…the OzGolf way hey?:).

Or a new putter.....

wizard_of_oz
7th November 2014, 02:25 PM
I think it depends on a person's flexibility but a swing thought is to keep the right knee flexed on your backswing and have the knee pointed towards the ground throughout. You will immediately feel a more coiling action with the upper body from the lower body. The problem is if you lack flexibility, you can't rotate the upper body correctly and it will feel restricted hence why a lot of people sway and over rotate the hips as a compensation for their flexibility.

FuzzyJuzzy
7th November 2014, 02:34 PM
How about what this character is on about:
http://golf.swingbyswing.com/post/101798773029/the-major-difference-between-a-big-turn-and-big?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=2008&utm_content=1403&utm_campaign=SbS-TWIG-20141104

Different to swaying, but think it's related...

wizard_of_oz
7th November 2014, 02:42 PM
Yes, he is also talking about the over rotation of the hips because of the lack of flexibility of the golfer.

Daves
7th November 2014, 03:12 PM
I find the sway tendency tends to come with what you are trying do i.e. hit up more on the ball. For myself, it is about not letting my weight transfer back get past the inside of my back foot. If I roll back over on my back foot, in comes the sway. If I can keep the weight on the inside of the foot, that encourages the body coil, and then a proper weight transfer forward through the downswing onto the front foot (brings back foot up onto the toes).

popper81
8th November 2014, 07:58 AM
It is not being behind the ball... Think about being over the ball, or covering.

Terms like behind and back confuse people. That normally means you have lost body shape/angle...and you are trying to find it again.

TheNuclearOne
8th November 2014, 08:03 PM
Read some of the top dogs - they go on and on about building the correct tilt into the setup then coiling on the right axis. With the correct tilt at setup and ball position all you have to do is turn and you are already wound up behind the ball. So they say :D

blurry
8th November 2014, 09:50 PM
Feet closer together , hit some half shots

markTHEblake
9th November 2014, 02:47 PM
forget all that shit. Get your spine angle into the right position. then the rest will fall into place.

goughy
9th November 2014, 05:03 PM
Stop making things sound so simple mtb. You'll put coaches out of business!

SirTop
11th November 2014, 08:18 PM
Best tip given to me that actually worked with swaying, and hence stopped me slicing off the tee:

Keep balanced and feel the weight is on the inside of both feet, which makes you stand firm and not sway as you swing.

You smash a big drive but I've seen you slice a few good ones, get rid of that and you'll be kicking goals.

virge666
12th November 2014, 04:45 PM
Wider stance equals behind the ball. Correct posture and spine tilt equals behind the ball. Turning the upper body against the lower body equals behind the ball.

Those three in front of a mirror should put you on the right track

Johnny Canuck
12th November 2014, 07:33 PM
Wider stance equals behind the ball. Correct posture and spine tilt equals behind the ball. Turning the upper body against the lower body equals behind the ball.

Interesting. I had a lesson last week and I was working on rotation and not bending/swaying my left knee towards my right.

To get this to happen and work smoothly = wider stance.

davidw88
12th November 2014, 09:15 PM
I had a lesson this morning and was also about stopping my left knee kicking inwards.

Johnny Canuck
12th November 2014, 09:33 PM
I had a lesson this morning and was also about stopping my left knee kicking inwards.

It makes the turn and the swing so much more solid.

FuzzyJuzzy
12th November 2014, 10:21 PM

Thanks Virge. That all makes sense. Will sus it out.

IanO
12th November 2014, 10:58 PM
and to help with the flexibility thing ... go to Yoga :mrgreen:

wizard_of_oz
13th November 2014, 12:23 AM
I saw a tip saying that the distance between the inside of your two feet should be the width of your shoulders meaning that your feet actually form a "A" shape instead of a "H" shape. The wider stance does seem to allow me to hit more solid shots.