PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a transcriber?

amanda
8th March 2006, 05:45 PM
Can anyone recommend someone to transcribe digital voice recordings at a reasonable cost?

I will have 40 hrs of recordings to transcribe for my thesis and I don't fancy doing 120 hrs of typing.

AndyP
8th March 2006, 05:57 PM
Are you a 'seek and peck' typer, Mandy?

amanda
8th March 2006, 06:06 PM
Are you a 'seek and peck' typer, Mandy?
No - I'm pretty proficient - about 80 wpm. That was the only computer program we had in primary school for the first 2 years when PCs were introduced (Micro-Bees).

Fishman Dan
8th March 2006, 06:22 PM
Dragon Naturally Speaking is a popular product. You should be able to present student ID and get an academic price.

But Windows XP with Office 2003 (and i think the previous version - Office XP/2002) has built in voice recognition i think. Go into word, hit F1 and enter 'voice' or something in the search box.

Get a headset with a mic for $20 and you're off!

connico
9th March 2006, 12:06 PM
yeah Dragon 8 is standard for all PA on our system now, its pretty neat but will take about an hour to recognise your voice but after that it should be smooth sailing. Cost about 400 Odd to buy...1300 for about the professional version, or i can help you out and lend you mine lol :)

and as far as ms voice works, its ****, nothing compared to dragon... but if you dont wanna spend the dosh then yeah might as well use it

amanda
9th March 2006, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately I can't get each of my experimental participants/subjects to spend an hour speaking into the program to train it first!

Luckily - I've found some secretarial services that will transcribe 1 hr of tape for about $100 - now I just have to hope that the uni will front up the $4000 for the project

connico
9th March 2006, 02:53 PM
lol i do it for you for 1/2 the price lol :)

Fishman Dan
9th March 2006, 05:36 PM
lol i do it for you for 1/2 the price lol :)

You'll get a legible manual with the product i'll get ;)

connico
9th March 2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah you only have to find a convertor for the scipt i give you, from engrish to english