PDA

View Full Version : Inside 70m - technique

Matt 3 Jab
29th October 2014, 07:19 PM
Hi all

Struggling big time within 70m

The fuller shots are ok, but under that I'm shocking

Seems two things. Either I hit it low with not a lot of spin (thin), or the bounce grabs and I hit it fat!

Anyone got any good ideas? I'm more of a wrist setter and holder if that makes sense.

Thanks all

Daves
29th October 2014, 07:28 PM
Monte Scheinblum's or Phil Mickelson's short game vids, hard to go past either;

http://montescheinblum.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1oYiBQGjI

p4m
29th October 2014, 07:43 PM
Is it just on course? I do the same but usually overthink it or look up way too soon.

No problems in backyard or range.

live4golf
29th October 2014, 07:52 PM
watching this thread very closely.

Matt, what do you mean by 'or the bounce grabs and I hit it fat!'? I always thought it was the lack of bounce with wedges that attributed to hitting it fat, meaning 2 exact same wedges but one with 4 degree bounce and the other with 8 degrees, the 4 degree one would be more likely to be hit fat.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/24309-Chipping-amp-Pitching-tips.-Inside-75m

p4m
29th October 2014, 07:57 PM
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2013-07/adam-scott-short-game-basics

Another non traditional style

Matt 3 Jab
29th October 2014, 07:58 PM
Yeah I thought bounce would help but with that grain in the fairway it grabs and seems to slow it all down.

Just not making consistent contact and it's messing with the distance control.

Coldtopper
29th October 2014, 08:46 PM
Stop hitting it that far in the first instance! Dont leave your self with a shit yardage ever!
Secondly turn body and keep your right foot almost planted.
Use the towel under the arm pit drill.
But hey I was born in the 60's so dont listen to me

Courty
29th October 2014, 08:46 PM
I could be way off here, but it sounds to me a bit like your body turn is stalling and hands/ arms continuing on.

Matt 3 Jab
29th October 2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks I'll try the rotation. It's more for the downswing / follow through?

KristianJ
29th October 2014, 09:00 PM
Stop hitting it that far in the first instance! Dont leave your self with a shit yardage ever!

One of the big things I've kept in mind when it comes to course management and short par 4s. Much more comfortable leaving myself 85m (full 58*), 100-105m (full 52*) or 120m (full PW) than pfaffing around with a half lob.

That said, I think about where my lead forearm (or shaft) is in relation to the ground, and commit to the shot just as if I was hitting a full shot. No slower takeaway, downswing, release, etc...keep it consistent.

mrbluu
29th October 2014, 09:13 PM
Secondly turn body and keep your right foot almost planted.
Use the towel under the arm pit drill.
But hey I was born in the 60's so dont listen to me

I could be way off here, but it sounds to me a bit like your body turn is stalling and hands/ arms continuing on.

Thanks I'll try the rotation. It's more for the downswing / follow through?

Matty, both!!!

Johnny Canuck
29th October 2014, 10:09 PM
Shorter backswing and make sure you accelerate through the ball.

I have really worked on these distances in the past year and the key is getting through the ball the same way that you normally would. Take it too far back, you will throw something out of wack trying to compensate and not hit it too hard.

Eca
30th October 2014, 06:59 AM
Definitely the body turn everyone is mentioning. Even with 20m pitch, your belly button has to face target at end of swing.
Kinda feel a centrifugal force swinging the club rather than arming it.

Put a witches hat 70m 50m 30m & practice :)

highballin
30th October 2014, 08:49 AM
This is the bain of my existence right now. Soul destroying wiping holes from inside 70 when an easy pitch will put on in regulation.

Some great tips here will work hard on the rotation to target.

talbo
30th October 2014, 09:59 AM
I play the ball further back in my stance open to the target and vary swing length for distance.

Hatchman
30th October 2014, 02:13 PM
I play the ball further back in my stance open to the target and vary swing length for distance.

This.

p4m
30th October 2014, 03:00 PM
Another idea, what i practice is same backswing. but have 3 distinct follow through postiions. eg one low, one medium and one quite high.

Forces to accelerate into those positons

highballin
6th December 2014, 06:54 AM
This has really improved for me over the last month. Rarely miss a green now from inside 70m used to be about a 50/50 chance.

Rarely use a full swing from inside 70 vary pitching wedge or approach wedge and 3/4 swing making sure nice tempo and rotate to target. Next to start putting them close consistently.

razaar
6th December 2014, 12:41 PM
Strange nobody has mentioned rhythm and two with this shot. It also requires a stable club head through impact. A stable club head has the club head being pulled through the ball position by the left forearm in lieu of being slapped by the right wrist. A longer through swing than backswing is the key for a stable club head.

goughy
6th December 2014, 01:01 PM
Whatever Tiger's currently doing........ do the opposite!

highballin
6th December 2014, 01:45 PM
Whatever Tiger's currently doing........ do the opposite!

That was my old technique

dee cee
6th December 2014, 09:43 PM
Getting through the ball as suggested helped me. Still think 'athletic' movement. Be purposeful. (Not forceful, you still need oily wrists,

Grunt
7th December 2014, 07:35 AM
If I can get this bit right Reckon I could drop at least 4 shots off the handicap, maybe more.

mrbluu
7th December 2014, 09:42 AM
So will playing more than once a quarter!!!!!

live4golf
7th December 2014, 10:21 AM
I am going to putt within 70m...

Grunt
7th December 2014, 12:05 PM
So will playing more than once a quarter!!!!!

Is that not often enough? ;)

Jarro
7th December 2014, 01:35 PM
Don't ask me, after today, i have no firkin idea !!

popper81
7th December 2014, 05:08 PM
Hmmm.... Where is Ferrins when you need him. His inside 70m game is impeccable.

As for me, inside 70m, I've got nothing... ;)