PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

Lost Ball
27th October 2014, 12:52 PM
Generally speaking, are qolf shoes required over the warmer months or are runners usually an acceptable alternative?

When I played in the UK many courses insisted on shoes with spikes, presumably because the ground was always a bit soft even in summer. Wouldn't have thought the same applied over here in Adelaide as the ground is usually bone hard. Just wondering whether to buy a pair now in case I should need them at some stage.

Thanks

AndyP
27th October 2014, 01:08 PM
It might depend if you need the grip with foot movement. I used to play in runners all of the time, but now tend towards hybrid type shoes. There are some courses that won't allow runners, but they are probably the more elite clubs.

jimandr
27th October 2014, 02:19 PM
In my opinion, you need golf shoes in Australia because the ground is often very hard, and sport shoe soles don't provide the type of grip you need.

From a course maintenance point of view, clubs don't like rubber soled sport shoes because when you twist it burns the top of the grass within digging into the soil. When you dig in, it stirs up the soil and the grass will regrow, but if you just burn off the grass layer, regrowth doesn't happen.

I sometimes get lazy when I practice and don't bother putting on the golf shoes. The difference in the footmarks you leave is quite noticeable.

Whether clubs actually ban people with sport shoes, I don't know. I've never seen a sign to that effect.

p4m
27th October 2014, 02:40 PM
Get some spikeless. Should do the same and just as comfortable.

Can get them from $60+ which is cheaper then most brand name runners anyway!!

Lost Ball
27th October 2014, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. What would be a recommended shoe towards the cheap end of the market? Don't fancy laying out lots of money for something I'd probably not wear that often.

Daves
27th October 2014, 06:20 PM
Here are a few selections from local sellers. I haven't tried the current models, but Niblick seems to represent some value these days;

http://www.golfclearanceoutlet.com.au/golf-shoes/mens-shoes.html

http://www.golfbox.com.au/mens-golf-shoes.html

p4m
28th October 2014, 10:12 AM
Plenty here

http://www.golfbox.com.au/golf-clearance-items.html

around $69 delivered. I have Lunar ascend and are perfect for wide foot.

Just on the sides they fold out a bit

Can't feel it however.

virge666
7th November 2014, 05:51 PM
Just wear a nice pair of runners. Golf shoes are a hoax.

mrbluu
7th November 2014, 08:48 PM
What if u don't have runners???

Shortylook
7th November 2014, 11:29 PM
What if u don't have runners???
then steal some and your set mate :wink:

damoocow
7th December 2014, 08:17 PM
Returned a pair of m project FJ spikeless today to my pro shop under the 30 day comfort guarantee. They were the most uncomfortable shoes of any type that I have ever worn. Will go back to spikes and wearing sports shoes some more.

highballin
7th December 2014, 08:44 PM
Returned a pair of m project FJ spikeless today to my pro shop under the 30 day comfort guarantee. They were the most uncomfortable shoes of any type that I have ever worn. Will go back to spikes and wearing sports shoes some more.

I have a pair of FJ DryJoy Tours they are the most uncomfortable I have had so far. Worn them for 4 full rounds still hoping they will come good.

thecollective
7th December 2014, 08:50 PM

damo: try the Ashworth Cardiff ADC - most comfortable golf shoes I have ever worn!

backintheswing
7th December 2014, 08:57 PM
I am struggling with shoes at the moment on the hard ground. My Puma mesh lites just don't give enough ankle support and they have no heel support whatsoever. Tried my FJ contours with BOA yesterday and they felt like lead weights on my feet. Still had the sore heels as well.

What is the lightest shoe with best heel support?

Peppas
7th December 2014, 08:59 PM
I have a pair of FJ DryJoy Tours they are the most uncomfortable I have had so far. Worn them for 4 full rounds still hoping they will come good.

I wore these when I came to SA... first round straight out of the box on the Sunday (day 2 of my 9 rounds in 10 days of golf) at Cabra in the rain and they were great. FJs have been the only shoes that I can wear straight out of the box with no issues... so in short, it's probably cos you're a lefty, sorry pal :)

Peppas
7th December 2014, 09:00 PM
I am struggling with shoes at the moment on the hard ground. My Puma mesh lites just don't give enough ankle support and they have no heel support whatsoever. Tried my FJ contours with BOA yesterday and they felt like lead weights on my feet. Still had the sore heels as well.

Eccos?

damoocow
7th December 2014, 09:00 PM
damo: try the Ashworth Cardiff ADC - most comfortable golf shoes I have ever worn!

Thanks,looked it up and don't like that style of upper but the 'spikes' look the goods - I think the main problem with the FJ's is that the 'spikes' are long and swivel/flex as you walk - the Ashworth ones seem closer to the ground- not sure what else my pro shop sells but will prob try a old school spiked pair of FJ's and see how they go...might have a new pair of shoes every month if they don't improve

highballin
7th December 2014, 09:01 PM
I wore these when I came to SA... first round straight out of the box on the Sunday (day 2 of my 9 rounds in 10 days of golf) at Cabra in the rain and they were great. FJs have been the only shoes that I can wear straight out of the box with no issues... so in short, it's probably cos you're a lefty, sorry pal :)

Your shoes would be like your golf balls they are scared of you !

coalesce
7th December 2014, 09:17 PM

For support I pulled the insole out of my footjoys and put in orthotics instead. Most comfortable golf shoes ever and means you can pretty much get any you like

backintheswing
7th December 2014, 09:26 PM
For support I pulled the insole out of my footjoys and put in orthotics instead. Most comfortable golf shoes ever and means you can pretty much get any you like

Yeah I tried that yesterday. Still no good.

3Puttpete
7th December 2014, 09:28 PM

Thinking of giving adidas crossflex another go for this reason

benno_r
7th December 2014, 09:35 PM
Best shoes off the bat have been Crocs. Very soft under foot, excellent spikeless, but I have the waterproof model so a bit heavy. FJ Contour casuals have been close.

Best overall comfort but took a few rounds to wear in - FJ Sport.

Peppas
7th December 2014, 09:49 PM
Your shoes would be like your golf balls they are scared of you !

Don't know if that solves your shoe problems!

Daves
7th December 2014, 10:20 PM
Thinking of giving adidas crossflex another go for this reason

I have just bought a couple of pair of these cheap.

3Puttpete
7th December 2014, 10:21 PM
I have just bought a couple of pair of these cheap.

Where from?

Daves
7th December 2014, 10:25 PM
Where from?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/azdgolf?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2754

Bought a few Puma belts as well. Combined postage was pretty cheap.

3Puttpete
7th December 2014, 10:27 PM
Cheers Dave

wizard_of_oz
8th December 2014, 10:15 AM
Do yourselves a favor and try the Adidas Gripmore. There's a good reason why a few pros are using them like Kaymer, Furyk, Rose etc. They are grippy, wide in the front, look great and extremely comfortable.

Lost Ball
9th December 2014, 01:00 AM
Thanks for all the input. I ended up buying a pair of brown and white Calloway XTT LT's through ebay US. Seem pretty comfy so far.