PDA

View Full Version : Commonwealth Games

Trung
7th March 2006, 05:36 PM
8 days to go and I'm not excited... why?

anyone else feel the same way as me?

connico
7th March 2006, 08:06 PM
ahh because its ****ty?? boring and unexciting?

3oneday
7th March 2006, 09:26 PM
Apparently they budgeted for 90,000 tourists, at current count they will have 14,000 !!! Pretty underwhelmed to be honest, cricket is on, footy is starting, who really cares about games that mean so much to so few ??? My opinion anyway.

Pete

jimandr
7th March 2006, 10:10 PM
8 days to go and I'm not excited... why?

anyone else feel the same way as me?

Can I be the first to say I wouldn't want to feel the same way as you, particularly after one of your 6.00am finishes before a 6.30 tee time. I'm disappointed Pete didn't come up with something clever in response to that open door.

The sad fact is that the Comms aren't a big deal any more. Once upon a time, back in the 70's, athletes never got to go overseas, hardly ever repped for their country, and the Commonwealth was pretty strong. None of those things are true any more.

The Olympics are going the same way in many sports. It used to be the de facto world championships, now its just another event, albeit the one with the best endorsement opportunities for the winners.

I think I heard or read somewhere that Asafa Powell, the 100m record holder, was getting half a mill in appearance money. Did anyone else hear that? If its true, how could it happen?

3oneday
8th March 2006, 06:03 AM
I think I heard or read somewhere that Asafa Powell, the 100m record holder, was getting half a mill in appearance money. Did anyone else hear that? If its true, how could it happen?I would suggest that if it is true, Melbourne have paid him to come once they realised the whole thing was gunna be a white elephant. There was an initial rumour he wasn't coming, obviously cash has changed that !!!

Now no Thorpe as well, someone will neck themselves when they work out the losses on this I reckon !!!

Pete

Trung
8th March 2006, 06:09 AM
Pete, please explain..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rare-Yellow-Gold-Dress-Ring-Oval-Tanzanite-3-40-carat_W0QQitemZ8908810995QQcategoryZ83418QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3oneday
8th March 2006, 06:22 AM
It's the bosses (not the wife, the boss), you want ??? dunno whether I can negotiate it down though ;)

:)

Trung
8th March 2006, 06:28 AM
I thought you are the boss there.... hehe

3oneday
8th March 2006, 06:31 AM
I thought you are the boss there.... hehethere's always someone signing the cheques mate !!!!!

If the boss says sell this on your ebay thingy, what can I say ????

:lol:

Grunt
8th March 2006, 07:46 AM
I would suggest that if it is true, Melbourne have paid him to come once they realised the whole thing was gunna be a white elephant. There was an initial rumour he wasn't coming, obviously cash has changed that !!!

Now no Thorpe as well, someone will neck themselves when they work out the losses on this I reckon !!!

Pete

Don't Victoria buy everything when they host something, they have prior record of buying event from other states, F1, motoGP, Heinekin Classic etc. And some of them do go broke while they are there too.

Flowergirl
15th March 2006, 09:08 PM
Going to the hockey, squash and athletics. John and Stacey ( daughter) are going to a few others. Stacey lives about a five min walk from the MCG. Very handy indeed. I'm looking forward to it.....But will be glad when all the hype has gone.

Fishman Dan
15th March 2006, 09:15 PM
I'm on board. These things don't come around often, i think we get complacent when we become good at things. It's not about us winning (everything).

And it's true - BARASSI WALKS ON WATER!

Bruce
15th March 2006, 09:33 PM
WTF was the crap with the duck??! But at least they showed some sense in having John Landy be the last with the baton. A genuine athlete/statesman.

I saw the Queen today. She waved at me as I walked down La Trobe St. I decided I should wave back. Lots of athletes wandering around town as well. Finally made me feel a bit excited.

I will be avoiding public transport as much as I can for the next week or so though.

Matt 3 Jab
16th March 2006, 09:55 AM
i cant get excited, were going to win, who's worried ???
just not as good as the olympics at all!

Grunt
16th March 2006, 10:33 AM
did not even realise they started last night

Jarro
16th March 2006, 02:48 PM
i'm not really that interested in it at all :smt015

sorry :-\"

Ona
16th March 2006, 03:15 PM
not real interested but was shouted a seat to the opening. never cared to watch these things on the box but was alright being there on the night. twas a great light show and the music weren't bad, didn't make any effort to understand the significance behind any of it. got a little excited shouting the names of previous host cities, sang the anthem like my life depended on it and despite being no fan of the monarchy i made the effort to lean over the people infront and chatch a glimps of the queen :???:

biggests dissapointments.. Howard, sth africa and new zealand all got a good cheer :-s oh and the poms turned up :evil:

Jarro
16th March 2006, 03:33 PM
Ona, what did you think of Delta's song ...... sound OK in the flesh ??

Ona
16th March 2006, 04:20 PM
gotta say, most of my attention was on either the fireworks/sparks in the middle or the indian sportswoman at the end of my.. binoculars. nah, she sounded good, surprising because she was unsighted much of the time :smt002:mrgreen:

AndyP
16th March 2006, 09:32 PM
Because of these crappy games, regular viewing on other channels has been changed.

Just great.

Courty
16th March 2006, 10:24 PM
I'm really sick of everyone trying to out-do each others opening ceremony.
What the hell was it all about? It seemed so abstract and just didn't flow, especially when they keep cutting from the stadium to the rowers, to the train of fish and back. If it requires commentators to explain what's going on, they shouldn't bother. The Sydney opening ceremony shat all over this one.

Fishman Dan
16th March 2006, 10:24 PM
Go channel 9. Women's basketball..

"Progress score. We can't go to this game in country Victoria (Traralgon) because there are no TV camera's".

And because it was played about 8 hours ago, and their 'Progress Score' was half way to Australia's 146-46 win.

goughy
17th March 2006, 05:36 AM
Because of these crappy games, regular viewing on other channels has been changed.

Just great.

Channel 7 programming exec said they were gonna go after channel 9 by not changing their programs and playing their strong stuff against the commonwealth games.

Channel 10 program exec said he hadn't yet worked out which of the two he was gonna watch..........

AndyP
17th March 2006, 08:07 AM
Channel 7 programming exec said they were gonna go after channel 9 by not changing their programs and playing their strong stuff against the commonwealth games.

Channel 10 program exec said he hadn't yet worked out which of the two he was gonna watch..........
Well, Channel 7 pulled out a B-grade mini-series to replace Prison Break on Wednesday and Lost/Amazing race on Thursday. Strong stuff?

Channel 10 have resorted to repeats of their regular shows.

Have the Games finished yet?

Jarro
17th March 2006, 12:05 PM
damn glad i have Foxtel :mrgreen:

3oneday
17th March 2006, 12:31 PM
damn glad i have Foxtel :mrgreen:
what games are on again ??? ;)

:lol:

BrisVegas
17th March 2006, 01:53 PM
The Sydney opening ceremony shat all over this one.

Agreed! Oh and good use of the verb "shat".

PRC
20th March 2006, 09:20 PM
I was quite interested in the 100m finals, never seen that Asafa Powell bloke run before. Good race, Powell looked like he was on a training run and was clearly a level above the rest.
Then about 15secs after the race is over C9 returns to the SWIMMING:evil: I'm sorry but the swimming is a joke, who's Australia competing against? Scotland? You've a bunch of nobodies beating even more obscure nobodies. Is Ray Warren legitimately excited at every race or is someone repeatedly shocking him with 240 volts?
Swimming is a sport for white people and drugged up Chinese women - I demand that as it is not a Commonwealth sport, it should therefore be removed from the Commonwealth games.

The athletics actually features world class athletes from different countries. I've just watched Craig Mottram and some Kenyan put on a fantastic 5k run that's easily been the most exciting event of the games. No more swimming! Ever!!

AndyP
20th March 2006, 09:37 PM
You're right, PRC. Swimming is very ordinary.
Do we have to see the same thing over 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m and 1500m?

terryand
20th March 2006, 09:42 PM
I'm actually ejnoying the game.12+ hours of sport a day,YEAH :mrgreen:

Got home from work early today,sat in front of the TV.

Table tennis or judge Judy.... :-k

Man that Table tennis is awesome.Starting to like the look of bowls too :smt087

Terry.

CobraSS
20th March 2006, 09:54 PM
Is Ray Warren legitimately excited at every race or is someone repeatedly shocking him with 240 volts?

If Ray gets up ya nose I suggest you don't tune in when the weightlifting is on and listen to that moron Eastlake

goughy
20th March 2006, 09:59 PM
I love that australia made a clean sweep in the mens and womens 20km walks. How aussie it that. 'hey, should we run down to the shops'. 'why, when we can walk'. I say walking should become our national sport. It sounds so australian.

Fishman Dan
20th March 2006, 10:41 PM
It's not the same Men's 100m without Bruce McAveney. The number of words he can get out in 10.03 seconds is pretty amazing.

Liesel's swim was awesome. The atmosphere must have been unreal.