PDA

View Full Version : HELP: I have the TAKEAWAY SWING YIPS, need guidance, PLEASE :(

daMANiack
17th October 2014, 05:22 PM
Hi,

2 years ago I was a 2 handicap golfer, hitting 12 to 16 greens-in-reg, I would've been off scratch or better if I could chip.

Now I'm on 10 h'cap and going out quickly.

Confession, I HAVE THE TAKEAWAY SWING YIPS. It is with every club in the bag so I have no relief from yipping during a round of golf.

Meaning:

I can't start a driver, iron, chip without a stutter, the club goes bouncing away from the ball for upto 24 inches, mainly because my body is FROZEN.

I try and focus on hips or shoulders commence swing, but body is frozen.

As the round progresses, I create so much tension that my upper back muscles are so tight, you literally can't depress your fingers into my upper back.

My breathing is probably non-existent for 20 to 30 seconds.

I've totally lost my focus on the TARGET, my focus has shifted to, GET THE CLUB AWAY.

Has anyone had the YIPS and overcome the yips, would a SPORTS PSYCHOLOGIST be any help?

It's sounds to me that once you have the YIPS, the SCAR TISSUE is there and almost impossible to remove.

I've had a number of lessons by top golfing pros, the problem is they concentrate on drills that I can do, but the added anxiety of playing competition golf is totally different.

I can hit chip and pitch in my front yard or on practice chipping area at my club without issue, but as soon as I'm on the course, I'm gone.

I can still play, I recently won my clubs Senior Championship by shooting 78 in the final round, but I used to prize my golf on consistent ball striking, many commented on my beautiful subtle DRAW ball flight, but my consistent ball strking IS GONE, maybe FOREVER.

Cheerz :(

Hatchman
17th October 2014, 05:31 PM
Hi,

2 years ago I was a 2 handicap golfer, hitting 12 to 16 greens-in-reg, I would've been off scratch or better if I could chip.

Now I'm on 10 h'cap and going out quickly.

Confession, I HAVE THE FULL SWING YIPS. It is with every club in the bag so I have no relief from yipping during a round of golf.

Meaning:

I can't start a driver, iron, chip without a stutter, the club goes bouncing away from the ball for upto 24 inches, mainly because my body is FROZEN.

I try and focus on hips or shoulders commence swing, but body is frozen.

As the round progresses, I create so much tension that my upper back muscles are so tight, you literally can't depress your fingers into my upper back.

My breathing is probably non-existent for 20 to 30 seconds.

I've totally lost my focus on the TARGET, my focus has shifted to, GET THE CLUB AWAY.

Has anyone had the YIPS and overcome the yips, would a SPORTS PSYCHOLOGIST be any help?

It's sounds to me that once you have the YIPS, the SCAR TISSUE is there and almost impossible to remove.

Give the game away and do adds for Drummond Golf :D

Your doing well to still be playing the game with that sort of form blow out.
Not sure the advice on an internet forum will be of much value.
Your head has screwed things up big time. Need to get that under control to let the movements just happen.
Sports physiologist or any head Dr is required JMHO.

wizard_of_oz
17th October 2014, 05:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your issue mate..I can't offer help with you psychological part but what about trying to hover all your clubs instead of soling them at set up? Your hands won't be static and starting the backswing may be more fluid?

daMANiack
17th October 2014, 07:03 PM
Hi,

I agree, I've generally found that as soon as I start tapping the ground behind the ball, I'M GONE.

I'm waiting for my swing to start but nothing happens.

Generally my swing starts by the hands/arms snatching the club away, very little hip or upper body turn, very inconsistent ball striking.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

Sorry to hear about your issue mate..I can't offer help with you psychological part but what about trying to hover all your clubs instead of soling them at set up? Your hands won't be static and starting the backswing may be more fluid?

JADO75
17th October 2014, 07:49 PM
Get on the piss before & during play

daMANiack
17th October 2014, 08:01 PM
Hi,

Yes please.

I've organised a really special friend at my golf club, a retired sports phycologist who spent time working with the Crows football team and other elite sportsman to follow me for at least 9 holes on Wednesday to get an idea of my dilema.

He agrees it's a very complex issue but first step is to see how I handle the practice area, then the coarse during a competition round.

If someone said I can cure you for $1,500, I'd pay it.

I've been reading Hank Haney's book, "Fix the Yips Forever" but it seems that there isn't a cure as such. Hank Haney sufferred from the driver yips for more than 15 years and changed his setup/grip/routine to work around his yips but I was concerned when he said in the book.

"I don't know if I can ever swing the club without my routine".

That makes me think the scare tissue is too great and is there for life, the best you can do is cover-up/disquise the problem, not something I wanted to hear.

Get on the piss before & during play

mrbluu
17th October 2014, 08:33 PM
I would take a break from the game mate and give your mind and body a chance to regroup and reset. Then when I do come back, start with a swing coach and go through the fundamentals of the game. Ie set up etc.

Any how good luck and I hope u get it sorted.

Coldtopper
17th October 2014, 09:53 PM
I would take a break from the game mate and give your mind and body a chance to regroup and reset. Then when I do come back, start with a swing coach and go through the fundamentals of the game. Ie set up etc.

Any how good luck and I hope u get it sorted. Correct answer again! Pass go collect 200 and move onto next one. I do like the Jado solutions

oncewasagolfer
18th October 2014, 08:31 AM
Think I have something like this in my takeaway I regrip, forward press and close the club face which leads to major inconsistency.

JADO75
18th October 2014, 10:32 AM
Maybe find an ambrose event to play in where there isn't too much pressure & just grip it & rip it!

Sydney Hacker
19th October 2014, 08:38 AM
Would a very structured pre shot routine help? i.e. one you can stick too every shot, use it to trigger your head into believing it is right to go.

Or do as Jado suggested, take the thinking out of it altogether!

thecollective
19th October 2014, 09:30 AM
DJ: the only way out is through - don't give up!

You need to work on breaking up your set swing routine; its not easy, but I think you need to go back to basics - start in the backyard with a slow swing sequence and spot where the jiggles are occurring - then work through a number of routines to break the cycles - such as speeding things up at the critical times.

I feel your pain - Im about two years into fixing my putting yips - still having bouts of it for a number of holes but im confident I can break through. No way im giving up the game I love though.

Best of luck.

TC

Dotty
19th October 2014, 10:14 AM
Lot of pressure. You've gotta rise above it.

You've got to harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness... energy... block... bad. Feel the flow, feel it.

It's circular. Its like a carousel-- you pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down and around. Circular... circle. With the music, the flow. All good things.

davepuppies
19th October 2014, 10:48 AM
From the sounds of it the phycologist is the best person to help, not a technical swing coach.

Cognitive behavioural therapy can change how your conscious thinking views the problem, and can uncover what is lying below from a unconscious level. Generally most mental issue stem from fear or pain, or the avoidance of both.

Should like you have shifted your frame of reference from the target, to what you don't want to happen.

daMANiack
19th October 2014, 03:40 PM
Ah Ha, finally found what I was searching for as Jack Nicklaus never mentioned it in his videos, even though it’s obvious to look at.

http://www.golfdiges...time-principles (http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2010-03/jack-nicklaus-lifetime-principles)

I also swivel my head to the right as a swing trigger.

I played with Sam Snead when I was 16 and watched that little cocking of his head. I thought: If it's good enough for Sam, it's good enough for me.

Jack Grout, my first teacher, taught me to look down over my left cheek at the ball. This encourages you to set up with your upper body slightly back. Then your body can react to the swinging of the club.

Also:
http://www.golfdiges...o-jumpstar.html (http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2012/05/weekend-tip-3-ways-to-jumpstar.html)

2. Turn your chin: Jack Nicklaus used this trigger throughout his career (see video below). Just before taking the club back, he tilted his head so his eyes focused on a spot about a foot behind the ball. But he still saw the ball out of the corner of his left eye. He told me a couple of years ago that the way he cocked his head served as a preview for the path of his club. In other words, if he wanted to hit a draw, he turned his head so his eyes tracked on a slightly inside path. For a fade, they moved along a line slightly to the outside.

It does work at home, I can stand over the ball almost motionless for 10 to 15 seconds, this would normally doom my takeaway as I wouldn’t be able to start takeaway.

As soon as I swivel head to the right, I can smoothly takeaway the club.

I have to go to the range before Wednesday to test, not sure when, if I was playing Monday, I’d be today.

Cheerz http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png

PeteyD
20th October 2014, 01:49 PM
Good Luck with it!

IanO
22nd October 2014, 12:04 AM
Hopefully that works for you!

daMANiack
7th December 2017, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I've been pretty well free of my full swing yips for over 12 months, finally worked out a pre-shot routine that works for me and others with the takeaway yips.

It's a little different, think of MATT JONES the Australian PGA player but quicker. ;)

YIPS is generally a visualisation problem, it's like someone has flicked a switch just before your eyes come back to the ball, your body has a slight pause, then the conscience has to work out how to take the club away, doomed to disaster.

With my pre-shot routine, EVERY SWING FEELS LIKE MY PRACTICE SWING and I've been able to get my handicap down to 1.9 to 4.9 whereas my best before was 4-7.

I don't have time for any negative thoughts.

I'M NOT CURED, probably will never be fully cured but it's sure fun playing golf now without the yips.

3oneday
7th December 2017, 05:25 PM
Confusing but I'm happy for you.

Bomber55
7th December 2017, 09:03 PM
That's great news. The scar tissue was in your head. ANT's (Automatic Negative Thoughts) can be very destructive little fellows in all facets of life.