PDA

View Full Version : 2 Ball & Mallet Putters - Little guidance

Micdeez
15th October 2014, 08:13 AM
I have currently been putting on a Nike Method 4i centre shaft.

Whilst I have enjoyed practising with it, I happened to demo 2 "high MOI" putters at my local:

Odyssey Versa 90 2-Ball
Odyssey Versa Sabertooth

I was in love with both! I'm a beginner, and I was literally sinking 9/10 4-5 footers, and that's a huge stat for a newbie. It must seriously be that easy.. Tried with my Method and I was probably getting 6/10 so I'd love to upgrade to one of the Odyssey's, whatever can assist me putt better :). I've been told that I have a straight back straight through swing.

I'm pretty split on either. Both look nice on address and alignment aids I like. I suppose I wanted to get some feedback from you guys before I make a purchase if you were in a similar position.

Cheers

Dotty
15th October 2014, 08:35 AM
Sounds like you have found the double-bend shaft is working well for you.

If I only had those to choose from and I've never got on with two-ball putters, then the Sabretooth would get the nod.

Also not a fan of the plastic face insert either, so personally, I'd go with a Ping Ketch

Micdeez
15th October 2014, 08:56 AM
Thanks Dotty. I didn't get to demo any Pings so I'll see how I go. Personally I didn't mind the Odyssey inserts, the sound was different but not distracting.

I was hoping to use the coupon codes on Golfbox :)

Dotty
15th October 2014, 09:16 AM
If you have $99 burning a hole in your pocket, then PPGL may be worth a visit...

http://www.pureperformancegolflabs.com.au/club-fitting/#putter-fitting

3Puttpete
15th October 2014, 09:20 AM

Johnny Canuck
15th October 2014, 09:35 AM

Whilst I have enjoyed practising with it, I happened to demo 2 "high MOI" putters at my local:

Odyssey Versa 90 2-Ball
Odyssey Versa Sabertooth

I was in love with both! I'm a beginner, and I was literally sinking 9/10 4-5 footers, and that's a huge stat for a newbie. It must seriously be that easy.. Tried with my Method and I was probably getting 6/10 so I'd love to upgrade to one of the Odyssey's, whatever can assist me putt better :). I've been told that I have a straight back straight through swing.

I'm pretty split on either. Both look nice on address and alignment aids I like. I suppose I wanted to get some feedback from you guys before I make a purchase if you were in a similar position.

Cheers

I tried all the faced balanced and ended up with a White Hot Pro V-Line. I found it the easiest to line up.

I also liked the #7.

mrbluu
15th October 2014, 09:41 AM

You still got your one???

3Puttpete
15th October 2014, 09:46 AM
You still got your one???

Please!

That was almost a year ago

mrbluu
15th October 2014, 09:48 AM
Please!

That was almost a year ago

So it must work much better than the 2Balls.

PS it was less than 12months, which is a long time in a ho's life.....I should know ;-)!!!

mrbluu
15th October 2014, 09:55 AM

Odyssey Versa 90 2-Ball
Odyssey Versa Sabertooth

Cheers

Work out if you like half or full hosel offsets. This will effect your alignment and stroke.

I've worked out over the years, that I play better with a half hosel offset so the Tracy II has stayed in the bag for the longest period.

Good luck!!!

3Puttpete
15th October 2014, 09:55 AM
So it must work much better than the 2Balls.

PS it was less than 12months, which is a long time in a ho's life.....I should know ;-)!!!

That was 4 putters ago. 5 if you count the one I'm using now which was in the garage the whole time.

mrbluu
15th October 2014, 09:57 AM
That was 4 putters ago. 5 if you count the one I'm using now which was in the garage the whole time.

Sounds like it's all the putters' fault!!!

3Puttpete
15th October 2014, 09:59 AM
The next one will work...

Micdeez
15th October 2014, 10:00 AM
Too late guys, I bit the bullet on the Versa Sabertooth. Missus doesn't know yet...

mrbluu
15th October 2014, 10:04 AM
Too late guys, I bit the bullet on the Versa Sabertooth. Missus doesn't know yet...

That's some might fine Hoing Micdeez, posting a question and no bothering to get an answer before you pull the trigger......you will fit right in here!!! :mrgreen:

Micdeez
15th October 2014, 10:25 AM
Haha with all due respect to all you guys, just that my finger slipped on the left mouse button and was scared to click the back button, so I guess there was no turning back now... Sorry guys!! (and my wallet).

mrbluu
15th October 2014, 10:44 AM
Haha with all due respect to all you guys, just that my finger slipped on the left mouse button and was scared to click the back button, so I guess there was no turning back now... Sorry guys!! (and my wallet).

Like I said impressive Ho'ing!!!:D

Dotty
15th October 2014, 12:46 PM
That's some might fine Hoing Micdeez, posting a question and no bothering to get an answer before you pull the trigger......you will fit right in here!!! :mrgreen:
Oi.

He got advice from a dalmatian wearing a hat and tie. What more would he need?

Icestorm959
15th October 2014, 01:20 PM
Good choice, the sabretooth looks nicer than the 2 ball aesthetically.

Micdeez
15th October 2014, 02:15 PM
Double post

Micdeez
15th October 2014, 02:23 PM
If I get a 2 putt finish on my first Sabertooth attempt, I'll be sure to thank the hat-wearing Dalmation :)

Peppas
15th October 2014, 02:33 PM
Yeah you could stab someone with the sabretooth too if they really pissed you off on the green.

Dotty
15th October 2014, 03:31 PM
I had a putt with one at lunchtime.

A big improvement with the Versa colour schema, as I was oblivious to the metal detector around the outside and could just focus on the two ball-width lines in the centre.

It should work well for you, Micdeez.

Micdeez
16th October 2014, 08:59 AM
I have a pretty big f**** smile on my face right now...
Got delivered, not even a 24 hour wait time.. Thank you Golfbox.

Time to clear my afternoon schedule now :mrgreen:

http://i.imgur.com/H9tFOY5l.jpg

p4m
23rd October 2014, 08:00 PM
Looks good good luck!!

Still waiting on my ketsch from ping :(