PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Clubs

Buzz
13th October 2014, 09:29 AM
Anyone got any good references for the best way to clean golf clubs? I'd like to start doing it properly :)

Captain Nemo
13th October 2014, 09:34 AM
Umm, the obvious, Laundry soap and warm water and super fine steel wool?

Buzz
13th October 2014, 09:50 AM
Might be obvious but wanted advice before I take anything chemical to my clubs :)

Kenny Powers
13th October 2014, 09:54 AM
don't soak the clubs in the water though, my ferrules started to come away from the iron heads cause i left them in the warm water to long.

KristianJ
13th October 2014, 09:58 AM
Might be obvious but wanted advice before I take anything chemical to my clubs :) Definitely no need for chemicals. It also gives you a use for that old toothbrush that needs replacing...

davepuppies
13th October 2014, 10:18 AM
I just use dishwashing liquid, hot water and regular scrubbing brush on heads and grips

thecollective
13th October 2014, 10:23 AM
baby wipes - easy, disposable and very effective

3oneday
13th October 2014, 10:48 AM
don't soak the clubs in the water though, my ferrules started to come away from the iron heads cause i left them in the warm water to long.I always fill the tub to just below the ferrules and let them soak a while. Any standard cleaning product is fine.

Cleaning the grips is probably as important though.

Buzz
13th October 2014, 10:48 AM
Nice tip on the baby wipes ... About to have plenty of those on hand!

Croydo
13th October 2014, 10:57 AM
I used to use nufinish car wash and some warm water. Since I've had my pings I now use a scrubbing brush and water.

jimandr
13th October 2014, 10:58 AM
I always fill the tub to just below the ferrules and let them soak a while. Any standard cleaning product is fine.

Cleaning the grips is probably as important though.

I've never cleaned a grip in my golfing life.

Are there any traps we need to know?

Is it a simple thing of wetting the grip, giving it a quick scrub, then drying it off with a towel? I would think you shouldn't soak a grip.

wizard_of_oz
13th October 2014, 11:04 AM
Some say soaking it may loosen the adhesive underneath the grip, same if you use very hot water. So just use like warm water and dry the grips using a towel, not air dry.

3oneday
13th October 2014, 11:09 AM
I'd never submerge the grips, but I'd take to them with a wet scrubbing brush with some detergent to clean, then rinse.

I've just got some WINN grips though, so I'll have to investigate how to clean those.

LeftyHoges
13th October 2014, 11:26 AM
Bit of dishwashing liquid and a stiff brush for both heads and grips. Towel dry both. Bob's your uncle.

Monsta
13th October 2014, 11:58 AM
Bit of dishwashing liquid and a stiff brush for both heads and grips. Towel dry both. Bob's your uncle.

Do you know Uncle Bob Lefty??????

I scrub heads and grooves with just a tooth brush and warm water, towel dry afterwards (if done on a regular basis no need for soaking)

Grips get done 3 times a year, warm soapy water and stiff (no homo) brush, dip in water and then scrub, towel dry and stand club on grip end to allow water to drain from grip

dowdsy
13th October 2014, 12:22 PM
I bought a golf cart club and ball washer of epay mounted it to my bench and just use straight up window cleaner no water added and put a good few inched in the tank and it lasts for ages and evaporates quiet quickly of the club, does a awesome job and you can clean you balls too and reuse some of those babys.

LeftyHoges
13th October 2014, 12:32 PM
Do you know Uncle Bob Lefty??????

I scrub heads and grooves with just a tooth brush and warm water, towel dry afterwards (if done on a regular basis no need for soaking)

Grips get done 3 times a year, warm soapy water and stiff (no homo) brush, dip in water and then scrub, towel dry and stand club on grip end to allow water to drain from grip

I actually do have an Uncle Bob.

Monsta
13th October 2014, 12:36 PM
I actually do have an Uncle Bob.

So do I (hope its not the same Uncle Bob, that would mean that we are related :shock:)

Icestorm959
13th October 2014, 12:37 PM
I use those disinfecting wet wipes (cheaper than baby wipe)

gameboy
13th October 2014, 12:47 PM
be careful with baby wipes, some leave a nasty residue

thecollective
13th October 2014, 01:11 PM
be careful with baby wipes, some leave a nasty residue

never noticed any visible residue - although I use PING clubs hence non chrome.

TC

golfbound
13th October 2014, 01:15 PM
i just done mine after reading this thread lol. I just used dishwashing liquid and a tooth brush, worked well although my clubs stay pretty clean as i dont play that much.

Coldtopper
13th October 2014, 01:47 PM
I dont clean them as I dont hit it good enough to notice any difference these days, Sometimes might wipe them down if there is enough on to play for.
A brush attached to a players bag with matching towels to golf bag and clubs is a sign of extreme gheyness imo.
But do use warm soapy water on the grips every month or so is a must do!

talbo
13th October 2014, 02:11 PM
Don't need a brush imo, I use dish washing liquid and a sponge with scourer then dry. Head covers go back on to avoid the chatter and all is good. Occasionally use acetone on the iron face because some range balls leave white plastic remnants in the grooves and on face and rather than use elbow grease with the scourer it comes off easy with acetone.

tyrob
13th October 2014, 04:41 PM
Old tooth brush does the trick

aussieashley
13th October 2014, 09:00 PM
I just use cold water and a nail brush. I don't soak the clubs. If you clean them after every game they don't get that dirty anyway.

D22marshall
13th October 2014, 09:25 PM
Gumption cleaner and toothbrush

live4golf
13th October 2014, 09:27 PM
I only clean mine when they deserve it... They are filthy.

mrbluu
13th October 2014, 09:37 PM
I only clean mine when they deserve it... They are filthy.

I didn't know u keep any clubs long enough for them to get dirty????

Courty
13th October 2014, 09:41 PM
I recall Razaar recommending cleaning grips using warm water with some lemon juice to neutralise the oils from the skin. Never tried it though. Usually just dip in hot water and scrub with a soft cloth follwed by a towel dry and wipe the shafts down with lanolin oil to prevent rust.

Dotty
13th October 2014, 10:02 PM
Hot water and toothbrush for the clubheads.

If anything, Spray&Wipe/Windex and scouring pad on the grips.
I may even give then a rub down with a metho soaked rag, to make sure nothing is sitting there, waiting to leech out on a wet day.