PDA

View Full Version : Golf One Percenters

Buzz
12th October 2014, 07:23 AM
Have been thinking a lot lately about improvement methods. Obviously there are "big" things like lessons, better equipment etc.

Taking the big obvious things as a given - so please don't respond "lessons" or "better gear" ... what are the little things, the one percenters that you can do might on average take 0.05 of a shot (plucking a number, but hopefully you know what I mean) off your average score but when collectively absorbed and applied over time cumulatively add up a big improvements?

I think there's a lot to be gained from the "one percenter" method. I'm not a cycling fan but I know one of the British teams set themselves the goal of identifying all the one percenters they could in every possible cycling related topic, with the goal of winning the Tour De France in five years, and they did it in three. In AFL terms you hear about the one percenters all the time.

What are your little things, the one percenters, that make a difference in your game?

I thought we could start this thread as a list of one perecenters ... if we share all our thoughts I'd be very surprised if there was an Ozgolfer who was already doing all of them. Hopefully over time this can be come a master list of one perecenters ... and a record for those of us that adopt many of them and report back on their cumulative effect.

Let the one percenter master list commence! :)

Coldtopper
12th October 2014, 07:41 AM
If you have a look at the bigger picture as a percentage one of the biggest reasons why many golfers game declines over the years has to do with their physical and mental ability to maintain a good repetitive action. As we age we lose strength and physical conditioning its that simple. Some have managed to improve being MAJ as an example although he changed his diet and added exercise in his 40’s. If you really want to improve your game then get fit, buy good gear (often), eat healthy food, and work hard on your putting and short game by getting lessons on the specific areas using different coaches if needed and not take advice from the internet too seriously! . + Never wear fluro on the course!

Buzz
12th October 2014, 08:11 AM
I don't disagree with that CT but much of it, while valid, is fairly macro stuff.

Here's a great example of what I am talking about:

http://jamesclear.com/marginal-gains

Coldtopper
12th October 2014, 08:41 AM
Did you know its the last day of mental health week! A little too much for me on Sunday morning.

WBennett
12th October 2014, 10:55 AM
An understanding of your limitations.
If you have a bad lie, is it better to get a 6 iron out rather than trying to hit a miracle 3 wood.

Is putting from 5m off the green more reliable than chipping?

Is hitting 6 iron off the tee on a sub 300m hole more likely to achieve par than cranking driver into the trees?

Little things recognising your weaknesses and avoiding them can help your overall scoring.

Chapzzzz
12th October 2014, 10:57 AM
Pre Shot routine... Get one and stick to it for every shot
Which includes visualising what you're going to do and committing 100% to the shot so there's no changing your mind half way through the downswing.

Putting...
Practice the 1-6 footers and become good at them.
In my opinion practice putting is one of the easiest things in golf to practice.
Takes no hard effort, minimal cost and most clubs have their practice greens close to the clubhouse.
So if you're good at 6 footers then you have a 12 foot diameter to hit bunker, pitch and chips shots into.
Takes so much pressure of that part of the game if you can putt.

AndyP
12th October 2014, 11:32 AM
Forgetting bad shots.

If you hit a bad one, have your tanty, if you need one, then mentally move on and focus on your next shot.

Buzz
12th October 2014, 12:27 PM
Forgetting bad shots.

If you hit a bad one, have your tanty, if you need one, then mentally move on and focus on your next shot.

I think this is an excellent one, I'm guilty of not letting them go!

Buzz
12th October 2014, 12:36 PM
Another one I am guilty of not doing: eating something nourishing before a round, and/or having enough to eat/drink during. I'm not too bad on water but I suck foodwise, I'm often hungry when I play.

hippo10
12th October 2014, 01:18 PM
I think the biggest thing that you can do to improve your game is in your head. To me the mental game consists almost entirely of a whole heap of little things (the 1% ers).
Examples include:
Discipline to follow a gameplan
Concentration on ALL short putts
Knowing your limitations
Perspective on yourself (understanding when you're getting tired or frustrated or too ambitious and what you need to do to counteract that)
Realistic club distances
Realistic assessment of chipping ability
Accepting mistakes

Hux
12th October 2014, 02:56 PM
Play the most realistic shot - not the lowest risk or the least likely, just the one with the best chances for a reasonable outcome. Eg and 8 over the trees is lowest risk, the 6 is iffy if you get it right but the 7 will get you closer to the target and still quite likely to clear the trees unless you execute poorly.

Go with the flow. Some days the bounces will just go the other way. Accept it and play accordingly (still trying to master this without spitting my chips)

Commit to the shot - everytime particularly where there is an element of risk (water carries etc)

Stay relaxed - particularly your hands and shoulders.

Good nutrition and hydration will help maintain focus.

jimandr
12th October 2014, 09:19 PM
Have been thinking a lot lately about improvement methods. Obviously there are "big" things like lessons, better equipment etc.

What are your little things, the one percenters, that make a difference in your game?

I thought we could start this thread as a list of one perecenters ... if we share all our thoughts I'd be very surprised if there was an Ozgolfer who was already doing all of them. Hopefully over time this can be come a master list of one perecenters ... and a record for those of us that adopt many of them and report back on their cumulative effect.

Let the one percenter master list commence! :)

I was going to rubbish the one percenter idea as management-speak claptrap, but after watching the pro golf this afternoon and tonight while thinking about this thread, I'm going to embrace it.

First off, a couple of big ones:

Never leave shortish putts short - I've lost count of the number of times I've left a 5 footer short because I've concentrated too much on the line
Take an extra club into the wind - it sounds simple, but so often I see (and sometimes do it myself) players come up short into the wind, but they never go too far. Into the wind, the ball will stop on the green quicker than it normally would, so the extra club is the go.

But, just by watching the golf today and thinking about this thread:

Never backhand or one-hand your tap-ins
Keep your clubs clean (I'm very guilty of ignoring this one)
Know the Rules

And this one has been touched on already, but I watched Sang Moon Bae do both sides of this one today - don't rush to play your next shot after chunking one. Take a step back and refocus. He hacked one out of a hazard, rushed his next one and chunked it. Then refocused and holed his next one to save par.

LarryLong
12th October 2014, 09:53 PM
For me - when hitting into a green, always consider the safest place to miss, and adjust your line accordingly. Mind you, most of the time I walk around in a daze and just hit it anywhere.

Nobody ever chunked a putt.

Putt around bunkers if you don't have much room to work with and you're not likely to get a pitch close enough to one-putt.

If we're really talking one-percenters, one to consider would be to minimise the weight in your bag by never carrying too much stuff.

jimandr
12th October 2014, 11:29 PM
For me - when hitting into a green, always consider the safest place to miss, and adjust your line accordingly. Mind you, most of the time I walk around in a daze and just hit it anywhere.

Nobody ever chunked a putt.

Putt around bunkers if you don't have much room to work with and you're not likely to get a pitch close enough to one-putt.

If we're really talking one-percenters, one to consider would be to minimise the weight in your bag by never carrying too much stuff.

Wrong, Larry. Most of us probably have chunked a putt. I certainly have. One of the most unpleasant feelings in golf is to leave a long one 20 feet short.

I'm not sure Rory would agree with your advice about putting around bunkers. He putted into the Road Hole bunker at St Andrews last week while trying to go around it. It actually isn't a one percenter, but putting around a bunker and using the bunker slope to slingshot the ball onto the green is great fun if you can do it successfully. Risky, though, as Rory showed us.

Buzz
13th October 2014, 05:52 AM
Keeping clubs clean is a great one ... I'm guilty!

Buzz
13th October 2014, 06:27 AM
On the nutrition thing ... What do people carry on course that qualifies as a healthy option ?

oncewasagolfer
13th October 2014, 08:28 AM
A banana.

Daves
13th October 2014, 08:41 AM
Bananas
Apples
Mandarins or Tangelos
Nut Bars (Aldi)
Plenty of sports drink (Zero or Nunn tablets, or what is on clearance at Golden Circle outlet)

wizard_of_oz
13th October 2014, 09:49 AM
I don't believe "1 percenters" are that applicable to golf. I can see how it may be applicable to a sport where you've already maxed out on technique and endurance training like cycling and need to squeeze that tiny bit of performance out of it may be applicable. In golf, there is far too many gains that can be had from improving your technique/practice/mental aspect that eating a banana on the course is not going to overcome the deficit caused by a yipped putt or a shanked wedge. IMO rather than focus on 1 percenters, you would be better off to focus on the 10 percenters. If you're off 20, you "may" save 0.2 by eating a banana, who knows really, but why not see if you can reduce it by 2 strokes a round by not missing any 3 footers. There's far too many gains that can be had in golf in various aspects to focus on these incremental gains.

LeftyHoges
13th October 2014, 09:59 AM
I don't believe "1 percenters" are that applicable to golf. I can see how it may be applicable to a sport where you've already maxed out on technique and endurance training like cycling and need to squeeze that tiny bit of performance out of it may be applicable. In golf, there is far too many gains that can be had from improving your technique/practice/mental aspect that eating a banana on the course is not going to overcome the deficit caused by a yipped putt or a shanked wedge. IMO rather than focus on 1 percenters, you would be better off to focus on the 10 percenters. If you're off 20, you "may" save 0.2 by eating a banana, who knows really, but why not see if you can reduce it by 2 strokes a round by not missing any 3 footers. There's far too many gains that can be had in golf in various aspects to focus on these incremental gains.

Most sensible post I've read on here in a long time.

AndyP
13th October 2014, 10:29 AM
The difference is that the 10 percenters that you speak of take time and/or money. The one percenters shouldn't.

Monsta
13th October 2014, 10:44 AM
I have to agree with a few things:
Clean clubs are a must........ (what is the use of having grooves if they are chock full of mud/dirt) I clean my clubs before every game
Food and drink............ I pack a sandwich a banana and one litre of sports drink for every round (2 litres now that it is warming up)
Prepare mentally.......... I like to sit in the car and listen to music for at least 15-20 mins before golf just to unwind and clear my head
Pre-shot routine........... Find one that works for you and stick to it (do it while other players are hitting to avoid delays whenever possible)

And most importantly, remember that golf is a GAME and games are supposed to be FUN..... enjoy yourself no matter how you play, take the good with the bad and always realise that we are not pro's so we will all have bad shots no matter how much we train/practice/try :lol:

wizard_of_oz
13th October 2014, 10:47 AM
There's a place that's giving out free bananas? Cool bananas. The point of the 1 percenters was I thought to squeeze out any further incremental gains from your game that would cumulate to a larger gain over time, and not a money/time issue. I'm sure the cyclists were just supplementing their already strict regimen of training which is expensive and time consuming with further tweaks in areas they could improve on. Or so I thought.

wizard_of_oz
13th October 2014, 10:56 AM
To me, the idea is that they're close to maxing out their potential by technique or otherwise and need to seek incremental gains in other avenues like nutrition. The idea is like a 100m sprinter who is stuck at 10 seconds and needs to explore other avenues to get gains from. But if you're a fat, out of weight slob and can't break 20 seconds, maybe you should start looking at the macro picture and get your ass into shape before thinking about those 5g lighter running shoes.

AndyP
13th October 2014, 11:35 AM
5g lighter shoes is an easy way to gain time with minimal effort. I noticed a difference.

I think you're missing the point of the topic. The thread starter is not suggesting that the other things should not be focused on or assuming that you are already great at everything else.

Taking the big obvious things as a given - so please don't respond "lessons" or "better gear" ... what are the little things, the one percenters that you can do might on average take 0.05 of a shot (plucking a number, but hopefully you know what I mean) off your average score but when collectively absorbed and applied over time cumulatively add up a big improvements?

Buzz
13th October 2014, 12:27 PM
I think you're missing the point of the topic. The thread starter is not suggesting that the other things should not be focused on or assuming that you are already great at everything else.

[/COLOR]

Agreed Andy. I agree the "ten percenters" are vital. I just think there's a whole bunch of additional small things that are also a factor that are, as you point out, much easier to remedy.

The other thing is even though it may be true the small things don't physically matter because we aren't already at optimal performance ... Mentally though I think they make a big difference. Even if the one percenters do nothing more than put you in a confident state of mind that is going to knock strokes off.

Glad to see the topic has generated some debate.

oldracer
13th October 2014, 12:31 PM
I have found in my very very limited comp games so far that it is very easy to feel "rushed" not that I ever am but to me it's like I don't want to hold anyone up and sometimes don't do a proper pre shot or don't take that little extra time to properly read a putt, so for me a 1 percenter would be to maintain a routine and I'm sure it would save a putt or two or find another fairway.

LeftyHoges
13th October 2014, 02:59 PM
One percenters:

* Eat healthy options while playing
* Drink (Gatorade, water etc.)
* Mark your ball in a identifiable way
* Watch the break in your playing partners putts, even if they're nowhere near your line.
* Watch how your partners balls bounce around fringes and contours of green.
* Tee your ball at a consistent height for your clubs.

LeftyHoges
13th October 2014, 03:01 PM
I have found in my very very limited comp games so far that it is very easy to feel "rushed" not that I ever am but to me it's like I don't want to hold anyone up and sometimes don't do a proper pre shot or don't take that little extra time to properly read a putt, so for me a 1 percenter would be to maintain a routine and I'm sure it would save a putt or two or find another fairway.

Exactly, if you play rushed you're more chance of hitting it poorly and costing the group minutes of time looking for your ball anyway. Build a pre-shot routine that is simple, nicely-paced (doesn't have to be quick, just not slow) and focuses on your most important issues.

WBennett
13th October 2014, 03:01 PM
One percenters:

* Eat healthy options while playing
* Drink (Gatorade, water etc.)
* Mark your ball in a identifiable way
* Watch the break in your playing partners putts, even if they're nowhere near your line.
* Watch how your partners balls bounce around fringes and contours of green.
* Tee your ball at a consistent height for your clubs.

OK. I have a sausage roll at the halfway house. And three schooners before I start and a few cans on the way around.

If I give all this up, can I get back down to 6? Even thoughts its these behaviours that got me down there anyway?

LeftyHoges
13th October 2014, 03:13 PM
OK. I have a sausage roll at the halfway house. And three schooners before I start and a few cans on the way around.

If I give all this up, can I get back down to 6? Even thoughts its these behaviours that got me down there anyway?

There's always exceptions to the rule Benno. ;)

3Puttpete
13th October 2014, 04:06 PM
Maybe golf's 1 percenters aren't measurable

Dotty
13th October 2014, 04:14 PM
Maybe golf's 1 percenters aren't measurable
Definitely measurable, as it gets rounded up to the nearest whole number, and another 1 is added.

Like a putt that is perfectly online, and travels 99% of the distance. It counts as 2.

Or the approach that failed to clear the hazard by 1%.

mudrat
13th October 2014, 04:43 PM
If you are having a crap round, get on the cans early in the round, if your having a good round stack them on at halfway to block the nerves of a good round out.

mrbluu
13th October 2014, 06:47 PM
If you are having a crap round, get on the cans early in the round, if your having a good round stack them on at halfway to block the nerves of a good round out.

I think that is the 4-5%ers, get on the cans regardless, I like it!!!

JADO75
13th October 2014, 07:09 PM
My back has been extra crook the last few weeks & especially Saturday just gone. Took a bunch of painkillers before I played that weren't doing anything so I decided to crack a can at 8:10am. Not something I normally do these days now I'm married with kids etc but it did the trick. A few cans in I was feeling a lot less pain which resulted in a 4 over with 3 x 3 putts.

Coldtopper
13th October 2014, 07:46 PM
My back has been extra crook the last few weeks & especially Saturday just gone. Took a bunch of painkillers before I played that weren't doing anything so I decided to crack a can at 8:10am. Not something I normally do these days now I'm married with kids etc but it did the trick. A few cans in I was feeling a lot less pain which resulted in a 4 over with 3 x 3 putts. Nice work. Cant say enough how I enjoy the early morning can before golf even if it is only to get the conversation going!

JADO75
13th October 2014, 07:50 PM
Forgot how much I enjoy breaky beers.

Larso32
13th October 2014, 08:16 PM
Haven't done it for years either since marriage/kids. It used to be a ritual, 1 or 2 breaky beers before the round with the group was a great way to start the day.

My 1%'s would be a few short (~3 ft) practice putts, making sure I'm at my ball when I should be so not needing to rush the shot and always taking a club longer early in the round.

Dotty
13th October 2014, 08:51 PM
When putting, allow for enough break to keep the ball above the line to the hole, as it rolls to the cup.

Once it drops below this line, there's no hope of it dropping in.

(And a bottle of Coke, Pepsi or the sugarless equivalents for nutrition during the game.)

Tongueboy
14th October 2014, 07:30 PM
Keep your head clear of rubbish. By rubbish I mean domestic stuff with the missus or the mistress, work related crap, turn the mobile off and don't check until you have finished.
Also do not forget that you have a handicap and you have a skill level. Use one and don't try to get too ambitous with the other!

PeteyD
15th October 2014, 07:27 AM
Keeping the head clear is the most difficult thing.

Waddzy
15th October 2014, 07:37 AM
Keep your head clear of rubbish. By rubbish I mean domestic stuff with the missus or the mistress, work related crap, turn the mobile off and don't check until you have finished.
Also do not forget that you have a handicap and you have a skill level. Use one and don't try to get too ambitous with the other!

This is actually one of the things I need to forget and just play golf , I have a habit of being 7-8 over through 4-5 holes and going.. oh well handicap is gone even though I know I am capable of shooting even from then on out and I have done so a few times. My best rounds I have fought back from being 6 over through 3 and finishing with a respectable 80-82 or something.

I would say preparation for your round would be the biggest thing if you want to save shots, make a game plan for your round and stick to it . I know a bunch of blokes had course strategies for Vic champs on how to play some of the courses we did and they seemed to do very respectably as they kept to their plan.

mrbluu
15th October 2014, 07:51 AM
This is actually one of the things I need to forget and just play golf , I have a habit of being 7-8 over through 4-5 holes and going.. oh well handicap is gone even though I know I am capable of shooting even from then on out and I have done so a few times. My best rounds I have fought back from being 6 over through 3 and finishing with a respectable 80-82 or something.

I would say preparation for your round would be the biggest thing if you want to save shots, make a game plan for your round and stick to it . I know a bunch of blokes had course strategies for Vic champs on how to play some of the courses we did and they seemed to do very respectably as they kept to their plan.

I think almost everyone has a bad stretch in most of their rounds!!! Not letting this affect your round is the key.

Waddzy
15th October 2014, 11:37 AM
I think almost everyone has a bad stretch in most of their rounds!!! Not letting this affect your round is the key.
My bad stretch is always holes 1-4 but sadly..

Tongueboy
15th October 2014, 11:57 AM
Keeping the head clear is the most difficult thing.

Yep!

mrbluu
15th October 2014, 12:46 PM
My bad stretch is always holes 1-4 but sadly..

U are probably too aware of it and when think its then happening its gets u out of your routine.

When u hit a bad shot, don't think of blowing out the hole or your total score, just focus on getting the ball back in play and executing the shot at hand.

wizard_of_oz
15th October 2014, 08:21 PM
I get to bad starts mostly as well but that's because I never ever warm up at the driving range beforehand. Just rock up 15 minutes to tee off, hit some putts if there's time then whack a drive. By the time I figure out what my swing is doing that day, I'm already on the 4th tee or so.

Mike O
28th December 2014, 02:54 AM
Nice thread. I see the essential importance of the 1 percent concept as not in the specifics (although those are important) but the 1st concept of implementing this idea would be to take your game seriously, life or death in a way. It's the motivation to "win" that creates this 1 percent concept. If you just pick a 1 percent specific and work on it but you don't have the overall motivation and commitment - you won't make it happen. Besides the motivation and commitment - you need a "big" goal - one that most people would say you can't do it or that is even outside of your current thinking. Now you have something to shoot for and the motivation to do it - all the 1 percenter's are just a result of your motivation and your chosen goal. With 2015 fast approaching - I would like to throw out a challenge for each person to create a 3-5 year goal that is beyond your current comprehension/vision, take it seriously and then figure out how to make it happen - then I think you'll be looking for 1 percenter's or at least can then incorporate that 1 percent concept into the overall plan.

The question is - can you do something great! Not a bad idea to share it also and have some people say you"ll never do it - can be good motivation. In addition, a little wager doesn't hurt.

razaar
28th December 2014, 08:50 AM
Visualization. Learn the power of visualization, not only in sport but in our goals and asperations.

virge666
28th December 2014, 09:07 AM
Visualization. Learn the power of visualization, not only in sport but in our goals and asperations.
I hate this concept.

Visualisation is only an option if you have the skills to hit the shot.

Visualising a high draw when you don't have the skills to hit a high draw 9 out of 10 times is bloody pointless.

You may as well visualise yourself flying.

Rodent
28th December 2014, 09:51 AM
Nice one Virge. I always thought it was a crock!

razaar
28th December 2014, 10:22 AM
I hate this concept.

Visualisation is only an option if you have the skills to hit the shot.

Visualising a high draw when you don't have the skills to hit a high draw 9 out of 10 times is bloody pointless.

You may as well visualise yourself flying.Depends on one's concept of what visualization is and what it does. It won't alter a player's set swing pattern. What it does is a mental rehearsal of the outcome and how the player sees himself achieving that outcome. It stimulates and fires the subconscious and the motor units of the muscles that will be involved. It could be called a walm up for want of a better term. It is a tool to get the subconscious mind actively working so that the conscious mind doesn't interfere. It is the difference between playing golf or golf swing.

talbo
28th December 2014, 10:56 AM
Depends on one's concept of what visualization is and what it does. It won't alter a player's set swing pattern. What it does is a mental rehearsal of the outcome and how the player sees himself achieving that outcome. It stimulates and fires the subconscious and the motor units of the muscles that will be involved. It could be called a walm up for want of a better term. It is a tool to get the subconscious mind actively working so that the conscious mind doesn't interfere. It is the difference between playing golf or golf swing.

No question I hit my best shots when I've visualised outcome and only focussed on target. No thoughts about swing at all.

I'm not sure anyone is going to visualise hitting shots they're not capable of, wouldn't make sense to put that sort of doubt in your mind.

virge666
28th December 2014, 11:48 AM
It could be called a walm up for want of a better term. It is a tool to get the subconscious mind actively working so that the conscious mind doesn't interfere. It is the difference between playing golf or golf swing.

Agreed.

I'm not sure anyone is going to visualise hitting shots they're not capable of, wouldn't make sense to put that sort of doubt in your mind.

Ever bullshit hippy book i have read on sport does exactly that. From the Inner game of Golf to Dr Bob. Aimed at average golfers which i guess is high teens to low twenties. You don't need to practice, or put any effort in, just visualise those 2 shots you hit out of 50 you hit at the driving range 3 weeks ago and magically - you will just hit those shots...

Absolute crock of shit to anyone who hasn't the skill set.

If you have the skills - then it is a great way to get out of your own way... but for most of us it is utterly pointless.

talbo
28th December 2014, 12:07 PM
Agreed.

Ever bullshit hippy book i have read on sport does exactly that. From the Inner game of Golf to Dr Bob. Aimed at average golfers which i guess is high teens to low twenties. You don't need to practice, or put any effort in, just visualise those 2 shots you hit out of 50 you hit at the driving range 3 weeks ago and magically - you will just hit those shots...

Absolute crock of shit to anyone who hasn't the skill set.

If you have the skills - then it is a great way to get out of your own way... but for most of us it is utterly pointless.

I'm not sure what bullshit hippy books you're talking about but why would someone visualise hitting a high draw or whatever it is you mentioned earlier if they can't hit a high draw? If this is what you're alluding to then I agree 100% that it flat out won't work.

virge666
28th December 2014, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure what bullshit hippy books you're talking about but why would someone visualise hitting a high draw or whatever it is you mentioned earlier if they can't hit a high draw? If this is what you're alluding to then I agree 100% that it flat out won't work.

When i did all my teaching courses - i did both sides of the game - mental and mechanical, and did i hear some rubbish over those days. From Yoda hitting 13 flagsticks in one round to some idiot who meditated for 4 minutes on a par 3 twice to get 2 holes in one on the same day. Golf and sport is just steeped in this kind of rubbish and IMHO it helps no one. My personal favorite is the argument between two teaches over who could spend the most time thinking about nothing. FFS.

The Self 1 and Self 2 diagnosis in the inner game of golf was useful, Dr Bob's methods are all nice, but what builds confidence is ability and the only way to get ability is to learn and practice. Once the swing is automatic, then the game is played in front of the ball. BUT, until you have that skill - learning the mental side of the game is pointless.

Learning the process and the probabilities of the game is way better. The little red book anyone ?

For me, put me on a golf range and I can maybe hit three decent draws with my driver out of 10 shots. Something with about 10-15m of draw that isn't a pull shot. I am not playing that shot on a golf course unless i have have no other choice even with visualising it.