PDA

View Full Version : NSW Instructor Suggestions

Ducky
10th October 2014, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to link up with an instructor located in NSW who can assist me on a regular basis. Ideally, I'd like the instructor to have a good understanding of the new ball flight laws and have access to a FlightScope or TrackMan. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

:)

Captain Nemo
10th October 2014, 05:54 PM
Arnt you in Bathurst?

Ducky
10th October 2014, 06:12 PM
Arnt you in Bathurst?
Sure am, but I'm willing to travel if the instruction is worthwhile.

Captain Nemo
10th October 2014, 06:37 PM
Like how far, Sydney?

Croydo
10th October 2014, 07:18 PM
Thornleigh driving range was on the golf show a while back, you can booking lessons with trackman. I've never been there before though to know the teachers. Here's the website : http://www.thornleighgolfcentre.com.au

Ducky
10th October 2014, 07:29 PM
Like how far, Sydney?
Yeah, Sydney is no problem.

Thornleigh driving range was on the golf show a while back, you can booking lessons with trackman. I've never been there before though to know the teachers. Here's the website...
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at their website.

Captain Nemo
10th October 2014, 07:49 PM
If thats the case, my old teacher Robbie Curtis has moved to Moore Park.
He has the latest/greatest Trackman...
http://www.sydneygolfacademy.com/rob-curtis

Horse
11th October 2014, 12:58 PM
Craig Mears at Dubbo has a good set up now. Has just built a teaching/fitting studio on his range with swing catalyst and a GC2 launch monitor. I guess it's probably just as close as Sydney. I would agree with Titleist and see Robbie Curtis at Moore Park. He has a Trackman. Could also look at Shane Puckett at Boonie Doon, he also has Trackman. There are a few guys that have trackman but not all no how to use it properly. The Range at Moore Park will re-Open next weekend after a $800,000 refurb.

Captain Nemo
11th October 2014, 01:01 PM
Craig Mears at Dubbo has a good set up now. Has just built a teaching/fitting studio on his range with swing catalyst and a GC2 launch monitor. I guess it's probably just as close as Sydney. I would agree with Titleist and see Robbie Curtis at Moore Park. He has a Trackman. Could also look at Shane Puckett at Boonie Doon, he also has Trackman. There are a few guys that have trackman but not all no how to use it properly. The Range at Moore Park will re-Open next weekend after a $800,000 refurb.

I was going to say Mearsy, he's an old mate of mine i grew up with.
you know him Horse?

Ducky
11th October 2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys. I've decided to go have a lesson with John Furze at Duntryleague this week. He doesn't have a Trackman (as far as I'm aware), but a friend of mine recommended him. Failing that, I'll travel down to Sydney. Rob Curtis seems like a good option. I've also had Gary Barter and Lorien Scott recommended. To be honest, I don't know too much about any of them and would probably just pick based on the most convenient location.

Courty
11th October 2014, 03:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to link up with an instructor located in NSW who can assist me on a regular basis. Ideally, I'd like the instructor to have a good understanding of the new ball flight laws and have access to a FlightScope or TrackMan. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

:)

Hi again, Ducky.

I'm curious... what do you mean by 'new' ball flight laws? Has physics changed? ;)

Ducky
11th October 2014, 05:07 PM
Hi again, Ducky.

I'm curious... what do you mean by 'new' ball flight laws? Has physics changed? ;)
'Ello Courty,

No, but through advances in technology our collective understanding of golf ball flight has.

Essentially, the old ball flight laws stated that the club-face would determine the final destination of the golf ball and the swing path would determine the initial direction. For example, if you wanted to hit a cut (for a right-hander) around a tree, this is how you'd do it according to the old ball flight laws (excuse my amazing illustration work):

http://i.imgur.com/NdJgkBb.png

Personally, the first time I heard about this was in a VHS tape by Butch Harmon and Greg Norman. In order for this to work as intended, the club-face would need to be manipulated from the address position (which good players such as Greg Norman and Nick Faldo may have done subconsciously), otherwise the initial direction would be too far to the right and result in the golf ball flying into the tree.

So, using the above example, this is how you'd do it according to the new ball flight laws:

http://i.imgur.com/87TR405.png

The angles aren't perfect, but it should give you an idea. Essentially, the initial direction is dictated primarily (i.e. 75-85%) by the club-face, with the ball curving away from the club-path and the amount of curvature being determined by the differential between the club-face and club-path angles. So "zeroing" out your club-face and club-path angles would result in a straight ball flight.

In order to "zero" out your club-face and club-path though, you need a basic understanding of the D-place concepts. Essentially, when the club-path moves down, it moves out, and when it moves up, it moves in. This is why with driver (if the club is ascending at impact), you need to move the path further out to "zero" your numbers, and the opposite would be true for irons (if the club is descending at impact).

I hope that makes sense!

Horse
11th October 2014, 05:47 PM
Titleist, yes sir i know Craig.

Ducky, Pretty sure you will find John teaches "Golf Machine". Also, at Duntryleague you have Paul Hart teaching there as well.

Horse
11th October 2014, 05:48 PM

Ducky, Pretty sure you will find John teaches "Golf Machine". Also, at Duntryleague you have Paul Hart teaching there as well.

Captain Nemo
11th October 2014, 06:24 PM

Small world....
Where you at, how do you know him?
(Pm me if you want to keep it off the books)!