PDA

View Full Version : Give me THE SHAFT!

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 12:17 PM
As you may or may not know, I've just purchased some Mizzy MP68's. They currently have DG S300's which are completely no good for me. Problem is, I have NO IDEA what I want to put in them next.

I'm currently running the KBS Tour 6.5's and while I quite like them, I can't help but feel I might be better suited to something else / might not be getting everything out of my shaft.

Any suggestions? (Most of you have seen me play by now)

Waddzy
8th October 2014, 12:22 PM
Something cheap and easily replaceable I would assume? Given the nature of the user? ;)
I have found most shafts snap about the same.

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 12:24 PM
Something cheap and easily replaceable I would assume? Given the nature of the user? ;)
I have found most shafts snap about the same.

Maybe there's one out there that is harder to snap and I've been missing out all this time? ;)

Waddzy
8th October 2014, 12:51 PM
Maybe there's one out there that is harder to snap and I've been missing out all this time? ;)
PX 7.0s? But also are you trying to change your ball flight with a new shaft? I in no way can help in this discussion but I would assume that would influence a change to shafts and what to look for.

Lucasto23
8th October 2014, 12:52 PM
Why not try some shimada shafts, couple of kbs users very happy with them

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 12:55 PM
PX 7.0s? But also are you trying to change your ball flight with a new shaft? I in no way can help in this discussion but I would assume that would influence a change to shafts and what to look for.

Yeah, might try and get something a shade more penetrating.

Why not try some shimada shafts, couple of kbs users very happy with them

Interesting, will have to do some reading there...

mrbluu
8th October 2014, 01:22 PM
C-Tapers in Stiff....

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 01:43 PM
C-Tapers in Stiff....

Would definitely want them in X, but up for consideration. Cheers.

mrbluu
8th October 2014, 01:50 PM

Sounds like you might get away with S+. These are definitely lower launching than PX and DG.

C-Tapers Specs (FM)
Stiff = 6.3
S+ = 6.8
X Stiff = 7.3

Icestorm959
8th October 2014, 01:51 PM
Wasn't someone selling a set of Nippon super peening blues on here a few days ago? I reckon they would be the beez neez for anyone who can hit an xstiff shaft.

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 01:54 PM
Sounds like you might get away with S+. These are definitely lower launching than PX and DG.

C-Tapers Specs (FM)
Stiff = 6.3
S+ = 6.8
X Stiff = 7.3

I was told the KBS Tour 6.5's I have right now are X's.

Is that not true or are there different frequencies for the different series?

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 01:57 PM
Wasn't someone selling a set of Nippon super peening blues on here a few days ago? I reckon they would be the beez neez for anyone who can hit an xstiff shaft.

Ah yes, found the sale, but at $345 I'd be afraid to even hit the things, let alone break them!

mrbluu
8th October 2014, 02:03 PM
I was told the KBS Tour 6.5's I have right now are X's.

Is that not true or are there different frequencies for the different series?
I'm not sure, only looked up the C-Tapers.

oldracer
8th October 2014, 02:06 PM
X100 tours are pretty common on the s/h market, may be the go for someone of your caliber :)

benno_r
8th October 2014, 02:10 PM
Have a look at this chart to see what flexes are roughly what:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/496072-new-and-improved-shaft-chart/

billp
8th October 2014, 02:32 PM
Modus 3's? Should be what you are looking for, but maybe a bit pricey?

D22marshall
8th October 2014, 02:41 PM
X2, modus

Matt 3 Jab
8th October 2014, 04:32 PM
I went with c taper x's and they helped my flight come down lower. Less spin as well as I seem to move the ball less now. Really really liking them.

simmsy
8th October 2014, 04:43 PM
lefty - modus3 for you mate. Tour130 X

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 04:56 PM
lefty - modus3 for you mate. Tour130 X

Starting to come around to them.

Will need to find a Nigerian Prince to help me pay for them though. :shock: :shock: :shock:

talbo
8th October 2014, 05:02 PM
Ah yes, found the sale, but at $345 I'd be afraid to even hit the things, let alone break them!

They'd be way too soft for you I'm guessing anyway.

You might need TT DG X700

Courty
8th October 2014, 05:55 PM
http://centenarylandscaping.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Reinforcing-Bar.png

Perfect:
• extra stiff for more penetrating ballflight
• abuse-proof
• ribbed for your pleasure

;)

Shane788
8th October 2014, 06:24 PM
^ Hard to snap too

Coldtopper
8th October 2014, 07:29 PM
Do you really hit it that hard? Are you not a once or twice a week golfer on the wrong side of 40?
I have found most kbs shafts to ballon with crap piss weak flights except for the Ctapers but they look like something grandpa played with and he has been dead for 30 years.
Tour issue S400 hard stepped 1 x or soft stepped tour issue X100 will have a strong ball flight for a 260+ on the fly driver, or 180m- 185m fly 5 iron hitter. And if you are not hitting it this length then you shouldnt be playing your current flex.
* Make sure you get the dead weight as these are most likely made in China with light head weights .

Matt 3 Jab
8th October 2014, 07:57 PM
Do you really hit it that hard? Are you not a once or twice a week golfer on the wrong side of 40?
I have found most kbs shafts to ballon with crap piss weak flights except for the Ctapers but they look like something grandpa played with and he has been dead for 30 years.
Tour issue S400 hard stepped 1 x or soft stepped tour issue X100 will have a strong ball flight for a 260+ on the fly driver, or 180m- 185m fly 5 iron hitter. And if you are not hitting it this length then you shouldnt be playing your current flex.
* Make sure you get the dead weight as these are most likely made in China with light head weights .

Regardless of their look, c tapers are amazing shafts and I don't think they look too bad really.

If lefty has a quick transition or hard attack into the ball then a very stiff shaft may help his flight. Surely it's how you load the shaft and the tempo of the swing that will affect what flex is right for you rather than just how far you hit it??

Could be wrong, just a chopper

spanner039
8th October 2014, 08:08 PM
Wow Ozgolf just turned into WRX!!!!

So many great choices

Goodluck Left one

Coldtopper
8th October 2014, 08:35 PM
Regardless of their look, c tapers are amazing shafts and I don't think they look too bad really.

If lefty has a quick transition or hard attack into the ball then a very stiff shaft may help his flight. Surely it's how you load the shaft and the tempo of the swing that will affect what flex is right for you rather than just how far you hit it??

Far too many unknown variables to be giving precise info based on the few facts that have been provided. Distance will give an approximate of the speed that a player will swing btw.

If I was only a lad instead of an grumpy old bastard I would enjoy Ctapers!

Courty
8th October 2014, 08:38 PM
Lefty, do your current shafts FEEL soft/ sloppy? I've tried the C-Tapers (in Tomson flex) and they felt very boardy to me... maybe I just couldn't load them properly, although I still got a decent ballflight.

backintheswing
8th October 2014, 08:41 PM
For those that are trying to fit lefty into a certain shaft; I have seen him throw a wedge around 60 metres. Backwards.

Serious club head speed.

Coldtopper
8th October 2014, 08:47 PM
For those that are trying to fit lefty into a certain shaft; I have seen him throw a wedge around 60 metres. Backwards.

Serious club head speed. No way not backwards! That is one long wedge!

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 09:05 PM

Ouch. I'm a once a fortnight golfer, true, but my age starts with a 2!

This is me, and also in response to CT's post above. My natural tendency is a miss right even with the KBS 6.5's I have in at the moment. I like to attack the ball hard and if I get it wrong it goes left. So in the end I start to swing softer and steer it in and miss it left.

I'd like to be able to basically eliminate one side of the course, and I would prefer that to be the right side.

Lefty, do your current shafts FEEL soft/ sloppy? I've tried the C-Tapers (in Tomson flex) and they felt very boardy to me... maybe I just couldn't load them properly, although I still got a decent ballflight.

I wouldn't necessarily say soft / sloppy, but there's probably still a little room to play with. I could be wrong with this but I think I attack my irons a little harder than you do, but we all know that our swing is never actually the same as it feels.

Serious club head speed.

If you're gonna whip it, whip it good! :lol:

Steve57
8th October 2014, 09:18 PM
Lefty I'm going to go the other way and say you need stiff flex rather than X.
Going left for a lefty or right for a righty is a classic sign of shafts that are too stiff.
Personally I would go and get on a decent launch monitor and check out your swing speed with both driver and irons.
From memory I wouldn't think your 5 iron SS would be higher than 85mph which is only stiff and I would be surprised if with driver it is over 110mph, again stiff. Also your transition is not violent so I would be surprised if you need X.

Coldtopper
8th October 2014, 09:36 PM
Ouch.
If you're gonna whip it, whip it good! :lol: Just a straight up answer. What ever you decide get them rebuilt with a decent dead weight is my advice! TNO is on the money with shafts Any chance he could chime in?

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 09:49 PM
Lefty I'm going to go the other way and say you need stiff flex rather than X.
Going left for a lefty or right for a righty is a classic sign of shafts that are too stiff.
Personally I would go and get on a decent launch monitor and check out your swing speed with both driver and irons.
From memory I wouldn't think your 5 iron SS would be higher than 85mph which is only stiff and I would be surprised if with driver it is over 110mph, again stiff. Also your transition is not violent so I would be surprised if you need X.

As I said above, I WANT to go left. The only time I do at the moment is when I swing softer and try to steer it. I'd love to be able to rule out the right side of the course. Misses with the KBS 6.5's are right.

Driver SS is around 103-104, which I agree should put me in the stiff range but with stiff shafts I miss EVERYTHING right.

But SS is not the be all and end all of shaft flexes.

Courty
8th October 2014, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say soft / sloppy, but there's probably still a little room to play with. I could be wrong with this but I think I attack my irons a little harder than you do, but we all know that our swing is never actually the same as it feels.

No doubt you go at them harder than me. I was just curious about your current set because of how harsh I found the C-Tapers.

As I said above, I WANT to go left. The only time I do at the moment is when I swing softer and try to steer it. I'd love to be able to rule out the right side of the course. Misses with the KBS 6.5's are right.

Driver SS is around 103-104, which I agree should put me in the stiff range but with stiff shafts I miss EVERYTHING right.

But SS is not the be all and end all of shaft flexes.

Sounds to me like a swing fault more than an equipment issue. ;)

LeftyHoges
8th October 2014, 11:51 PM
No doubt you go at them harder than me. I was just curious about your current set because of how harsh I found the C-Tapers.

Sounds to me like a swing fault more than an equipment issue. ;)

Yeah, the C-tapers worry me being both low spin AND low launch. In a muscleback head I could be hitting 7 irons 130m! :-D

Couldn't agree more. But I don't have time to fix it. ;)

Johnny Canuck
9th October 2014, 01:37 AM

Soft step x. Makes a nice set.

Coldtopper
9th October 2014, 06:09 AM

But SS is not the be all and end all of shaft flexes. Sounds like you need to be correctly fitted for shafts? Spend $100 with Bryan Ferguson you may learn something! Good luck with it

benno_r
9th October 2014, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you need to be correctly fitted for shafts? Spend $100 with Bryan Ferguson you may learn something! Good luck with it

I hate it when people make sense on Ozgolf. If it was me, I'd take a punt on these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-ALDILA-RIP-TOUR-115-S-STIFF-FLEX-355-4-W-SET-7-IRON-SHAFTS-/380976292783?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item58b3f4e3af

And then sell them for a massive loss.

And remember, if they are good enough for Boo, they are good enough for you!

3oneday
9th October 2014, 08:05 AM
When did you last use regular flex?

103 mph isn't that quick. I have used C taper stiffs many times and liked them, currently have a set of Toppies with Rifle regs and I am struggling to see the difference, except I don't hurt when I'm finished :). I could still draw both, lose both right etc etc.

You should, just for kicks, grab a mates reg flex set (by the sounds, if he'll let you :)). Dynamic Gold R3 or similar weight, nothing too light, your transition will kill anything too light. Graphite is dangerous for a club chucker, someone could die :)

My age starts with a 4 though :)

LeftyHoges
9th October 2014, 08:12 AM
When did you last use regular flex?

103 mph isn't that quick. I have used C taper stiffs many times and liked them, currently have a set of Toppies with Rifle regs and I am struggling to see the difference, except I don't hurt when I'm finished :). I could still draw both, lose both right etc etc.

You should, just for kicks, grab a mates reg flex set (by the sounds, if he'll let you :)). Dynamic Gold R3 or similar weight, nothing too light, your transition will kill anything too light. Graphite is dangerous for a club chucker, someone could die :)

My age starts with a 4 though :)

I reckon the last time I had a set with reg shafts was when the TaylorMade Bubble Burner 2 was released. How long are we talking there?

I'm fairly confident that with reg shafts I'll be able to hook a ball so badly that it quite possibly could come full circle and smack me in the back of the head! :lol:

3oneday
9th October 2014, 08:15 AM
As I said, just for kicks :) You're a gun golfer, I doubt the results would be as bad as you think.

There is a quite old suggestion that you should be using as much flex as you can handle, which I know is also quite the opposite to what they use on the PGA tour. I think Rory uses PX 7.0, but these guys are throwing darts and want to throw straight ones, not ones that curve so much :)

Daves
9th October 2014, 08:17 AM
I am with CT, go heavy. Heavy shaft, heavy club(s).

LeftyHoges
9th October 2014, 08:20 AM
As I said, just for kicks :) You're a gun golfer, I doubt the results would be as bad as you think.

There is a quite old suggestion that you should be using as much flex as you can handle, which I know is also quite the opposite to what they use on the PGA tour. I think Rory uses PX 7.0, but these guys are throwing darts and want to throw straight ones, not ones that curve so much :)

I'll give it a run as it's piqued my curiosity. Problem is finding a left hander with reg shafts...

That's the analogy I want, basically. I want to be able to go as hard at it as I naturally do without the fear of losing it massive right. Ripping it will give me a straight dart. Missing it will result in a weak push out to the left. No right hand side miss at all.

PeteyD
9th October 2014, 08:28 AM
Come to QLD for a visit to Daves shed da lefty ho. He has everything in there you can try ;)

oldracer
9th October 2014, 08:37 AM
I'll give it a run as it's piqued my curiosity. Problem is finding a left hander with reg shafts...

That's the analogy I want, basically. I want to be able to go as hard at it as I naturally do without the fear of losing it massive right. Ripping it will give me a straight dart. Missing it will result in a weak push out to the left. No right hand side miss at all. haha or one that would let you borrow them!!!! roadie to QLD sounds the go!!!!

LeftyHoges
9th October 2014, 08:56 AM
Jesus, you throw 568 clubs over a 4 year period and all of a sudden you get a reputation.

Bloody hell.

Ned
9th October 2014, 09:27 AM
Jesus, you throw 568 clubs over a 4 year period and all of a sudden you get a reputation.

Bloody hell.
At least they didn't mention the number of club breakages, how and where you did them Lefty.... [emoji6]

LeftyHoges
9th October 2014, 09:46 AM
At least they didn't mention the number of club breakages, how and where you did them Lefty.... [emoji6]

In OZgolf times it's only been 1 in QLD and 1 in WA.

Privately I've done it in SA (and of course VIC).

Still got NT, NSW, ACT and Tassie to go. I'm only 50% done!

Shane788
9th October 2014, 09:52 AM

Haha I liked this.

LeftyHoges
9th October 2014, 09:57 AM
I hate it when people make sense on Ozgolf. If it was me, I'd take a punt on these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-ALDILA-RIP-TOUR-115-S-STIFF-FLEX-355-4-W-SET-7-IRON-SHAFTS-/380976292783?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item58b3f4e3af

And then sell them for a massive loss.

Haha I liked this.

Is that bloke still alive?

benno_r
9th October 2014, 09:58 AM
I think he had a close call in a moonshine/duck hunting/gator wrassling accident, but he still gets around.

Scifisicko
9th October 2014, 12:27 PM
Sounds like you need to be correctly fitted for shafts? Spend $100 with Bryan Ferguson you may learn something! Good luck with it

Really? I had a fitting with him 3 or 4 years ago looking for a low launch/spin driver (to compensate for a flip) and he tried to fit me into a pro launch blue, Im not saying its a bad shaft, but I had an 83x whiteboard in the driver. Lovely bloke and a good coach but not up with shaft tech, at least back then. It didnt stop me having a few lessons with him (which i got a lot out of).

+1 on the C Taper. My SS is a touch more (110/90) but i dont hold a huge amount of angle or have an agressive transition. Im using S+. Dont have any problem hitting it high, but when i want to (translates to sometimes) i can hit it flat as a pancake.

Shortylook
10th October 2014, 03:12 PM
you can try my reg shaft in 55/59's if you come to GSM this year if you can wait Lefty

LeftyHoges
10th October 2014, 05:15 PM
you can try my reg shaft in 55/59's if you come to GSM this year if you can wait Lefty

Appreciate the offer mate but I hope to be using them come GSM to win some stupid non-important matchplay thing.

Shortylook
10th October 2014, 05:21 PM
Appreciate the offer mate but I hope to be using them come GSM to win some stupid non-important matchplay thing.
no worries mate, i just thought the mizzys in a good players hands would be a nice sight and lucky too because i havnt got 55's only 54's

Johnny Canuck
11th October 2014, 01:24 AM
Appreciate the offer mate but I hope to be using them come GSM to win some super-important matchplay thing.

You can carry 28 clubs if you wish.

All I need is 9 and an ntp marker.

Coldtopper
14th October 2014, 10:41 PM
What is the decision?

backintheswing
14th October 2014, 10:48 PM
I suggest Shimada tour K's X flex. Will tighten up the hooks and lower the ball flight and feel like butter.

Coldtopper
14th October 2014, 10:55 PM
I suggest Shimada tour K's X flex. Will tighten up the hooks and lower the ball flight and feel like butter. been reading only great reviews! Some say a little stout? Sound good for someone who hits it hard at the ball?

oldracer
14th October 2014, 10:59 PM
been reading only great reviews! Some say a little stout? Sound good for someone who hits it hard at the ball?Bits are the S flex and X flex the same profile only the X a heavier stick???

backintheswing
14th October 2014, 11:12 PM
One of the differences between the stiff and x flex is the distance from the taper tip of the shaft to the first step. On the 5 iron shafts, it's 9.2" for stiff and 8" for x flex. Weight pre trimming is 122g stiff and 123g for x flex. I have only tried the stiff flex, have them in a set of amp cell pro's and I really like them.

oldracer
14th October 2014, 11:24 PM
interesting, cheers mate

LeftyHoges
14th October 2014, 11:33 PM
Still weighting up options between:
KBS Tour V
KBS C-Taper
Shimada Tour
Nippon Modus 3
FST Pro

Gun to my head I'd probably rule out the C-Tapers and the FST Pro, but still no closer to a decision than that.

D22marshall
15th October 2014, 07:27 AM
I have modus 120x 2 and 3 iron shaft if you want to shaft them up and try. I have 120x soft stepped once and they are great sticks have had shimada tour x also for me like both but the shimada suits me a bit better a little softer In the butt than the modus but modus a better wind shaft point and shoot.

LeftyHoges
15th October 2014, 08:12 AM
I have modus 120x 2 and 3 iron shaft if you want to shaft them up and try. I have 120x soft stepped once and they are great sticks have had shimada tour x also for me like both but the shimada suits me a bit better a little softer In the butt than the modus but modus a better wind shaft point and shoot.

Thanks for the offer mate!

Unfortunately the set only starts at 4 iron. Would the 3 iron shaft in 4 iron head be worth trialling?

D22marshall
15th October 2014, 08:14 AM
That's how my set is done soft stepped so 3 into the 4.

LeftyHoges
15th October 2014, 09:46 AM
That's how my set is done soft stepped so 3 into the 4.

Interesting. So plays a shade soft to true flex?

D22marshall
15th October 2014, 09:47 AM
Correct

LeftyHoges
15th October 2014, 10:32 AM
Correct

Alright I'm in, thanks D22. I still have your phone number so I'll text you about arrangements.

D22marshall
15th October 2014, 12:20 PM
Alright I'm in, thanks D22. I still have your phone number so I'll text you about arrangements. Done

Coldtopper
16th October 2014, 09:25 PM
Really? I had a fitting with him 3 or 4 years ago looking for a low launch/spin driver (to compensate for a flip) and he tried to fit me into a pro launch blue, Im not saying its a bad shaft, but I had an 83x whiteboard in the driver. Lovely bloke and a good coach but not up with shaft tech, at least back then. It didnt stop me having a few lessons with him (which i got a lot out of).

+1 on the C Taper. My SS is a touch more (110/90) but i dont hold a huge amount of angle or have an agressive transition. Im using S+. Dont have any problem hitting it high, but when i want to (translates to sometimes) i can hit it flat as a pancake. Flipping, x flex and 4 years ago are you sure it was one of Australia's most respectful club builders getting it wrong?