PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 29th September

dunteachin
29th September 2014, 06:42 PM
Played Waratah GC in Newcastle today - first time in about 40 years as I used to be a junior member there in the early 1970s. Was pleased to post a better score than last time. Amazingly, the course has changed very little in layout. Greens have been enlarged and bunkering changed on a few holes. A lot of the rough along Cockle Creek has been cleared - I remember it being impossible when you hit one in but now quite playable. A few trees now higher, but others have disappeared. There use to be row of pencil pines along the 1st which you couldn't hit through but they've gone.

Nostalgia. Had my first beer in the clubhouse today - was too young last time I was there.

mrbluu
30th September 2014, 07:23 AM
Well dine DT, I didnt even know there was a golf course there, but I didn't take up golf until I left Newcastle.

I played again yesterday and played quite well again, a part from being a little rusty in spots with 2 wipes.

My ball striking was ok on the front nine but I caught a couple bad breaks were my ball was sitting just out side the bunkers, in sandy areas were the bunker raking machine drove out taking sand with it, costing doubles each time (1 of them a wipe). 16points

Started to get on a roll the back nine and I birided both of the par 5's and made a good putt on 18 for another birdie. I wiped the 12th after catching another bad lie for just outside the bunker for another wipe. Finished the 9 with 19points.

Stats
Points 35
3 x birdies
7 x 1putts
1 x 3putts
30putts total
2 x wipes

Wardy101
30th September 2014, 11:26 AM
Played 9 holes for twilight golf yesterday at Hammersley. 16 over which is my best effort since starting to play at start of the year. To put a positive spin on it (or negative) +8 came from two holes (one a par 5 and one a par 3).

Putting coming along nicely with only two 3 putts (including the par 3) and three 1 putts which I am very happy about.

Anfield
30th September 2014, 02:09 PM
Played stroke round at lynwood today for a net 67
Nothing worse than a double bogey all day
Drove pretty well
Irons good
Wedges ok
Putter yum
Following on from 37pts Friday at dunheved its nice to be playing semi decent golf for a change

dunteachin
30th September 2014, 08:07 PM
Played stroke round at lynwood today for a net 67
Nothing worse than a double bogey all day
Drove pretty well
Irons good
Wedges ok
Putter yum
Following on from 37pts Friday at dunheved its nice to be playing semi decent golf for a change

Great to see you're in form. Keep up the good work!

jimandr
1st October 2014, 05:59 PM
For 12 holes I was in form at Ballina today. I was playing really well, and then I made a bad swing and suddenly forgot how to play. I limped around the next few holes without causing any damage, then dropped a shot at the second last and completely messed up the last from a greenside bunker. The result was a hard-luck 36 points, and my third round in a row with 9 over off the stick.

The other big story of the day was that I played with a grunter. This guy did the Monica Seles on almost every full shot. I've heard the occasional guy grunt when trying to smash one, but this bloke did it all the time. I wasn't game to ask him about it.

oldracer
2nd October 2014, 05:54 PM
Played 9 holes for twilight golf yesterday at Hammersley. 16 over which is my best effort since starting to play at start of the year. To put a positive spin on it (or negative) +8 came from two holes (one a par 5 and one a par 3).

Putting coming along nicely with only two 3 putts (including the par 3) and three 1 putts which I am very happy about.well done Wardy, nice work with the flat stick

KristianJ
3rd October 2014, 11:14 AM
36 points this morning at Richmond (16/20).

3 birdies, 2 of them on the last 2 holes. Wiped the 8th and doubled the 9th.

This will replace a played to 12.3, so cap should drop a couple of tenths...

Dangals
3rd October 2014, 11:18 AM
nice round KJ - good to see your fortunes have improved on the last couple of holes

KristianJ
3rd October 2014, 02:32 PM
nice round KJ - good to see your fortunes have improved on the last couple of holes

Yeah, pleasantly surprising compared to last Saturday. It does help when one's wedge play around 100m out is on song...stiffed a couple to tap in range today, plus made a nice 20 footer on 18 for that bird.

Greens are looking very nice too - they were spraying growth retardant today to get them a little bit scary for club champs.

Charger
4th October 2014, 11:24 AM
81/71 on cored greens, three putts galore. Hit irons very straight.

Good on toowoomba golf club for giving us homeless borneo players a cheaper rate, and letting us on saturdays.

AndyP
4th October 2014, 01:56 PM
It's great that City are looking after you, Charger.

-----------

04/10/14, Wolston Park GC, Monthly Medal & Putting.

5/11 effective tee shots, 8/18 effective approaches, 3/6 up and down successes, 1/1 sand saves, 31 putts.
1 birdie, 10 pars, 4 bogeys, 3 others.
Scoring: PPPBPPXXP bPPPBXBBP
Score (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20141004-p154.html): 40-37-77 (+10) nett 70 w/- 31 putts (Par 35-32-67)

For most of the round, I played well, however my momentum got stalled twice by woeful play. Double-double on 7-8, then a bogey-triple on 14-15. For the triple on 15, I decided to play my ball out of the loose wood chips in the hazard, knowing that I may not get out, because it looked like a fun shot to attempt. I failed, just, and then had to take a drop out of the hazard.

The readjustment of my grip is hard to be confident with, but it has certainly improved the accuracy of my irons. Unfortunately, I've temporarily lost feel with my pitching and chipping because of it, so I'll work on that before my next round.

Next round: Junior cricket starts next week, plus a run on Sunday, so it will have to be in two weeks time.

Buzz
4th October 2014, 02:29 PM
For 12 holes I was in form at Ballina today. I was playing really well, and then I made a bad swing and suddenly forgot how to play. I limped around the next few holes without causing any damage, then dropped a shot at the second last and completely messed up the last from a greenside bunker. The result was a hard-luck 36 points, and my third round in a row with 9 over off the stick.

The other big story of the day was that I played with a grunter. This guy did the Monica Seles on almost every full shot. I've heard the occasional guy grunt when trying to smash one, but this bloke did it all the time. I wasn't game to ask him about it.

That's hilarious. I can't imagine playing with a Seles or Sharapova on the course ... but I would imagine it would be a combination of funny and annoying.

Please tell me he was silent while putting!

BenM
4th October 2014, 04:18 PM
First round of club champs qualifiers today. I've been playing terrible as usual but was confident this morning, I made a plan to not hit driver off the tee and keep it in play, and to my credit I stuck to the plan.

Mostly, it worked, I was 1 under nett at the turn and going okay, but then things went a bit pear shaped. A terrible back 9 including an 8 on the par 3 13th saw me finish with 78 nett. Sigh.

Hopefully I can keep the brain explosions out of tomorrow's round, and score a bit better. The course is fantastic, though it was a bit breezy today.

WBennett
4th October 2014, 07:25 PM
On a four day trip to The National Golf Club on the Mornington Peninsula.

ocean yesterday, Moonah this morning and Old this afternoon.

32 points yesterday, then two rounds of stroke today 88/80 in 30k winds, and the afternoon was a NCR. Reckon I walked 20k today. And I am shattered.

And I will do it all again tomorrow.

AndyP
4th October 2014, 07:35 PM
Lucky bastard!

dunteachin
4th October 2014, 07:43 PM
Monthly Medal. Scored an even ton. Might be closing in on a win. Last two medals were 102 and 101. At this rate I might hit the honour board some time in 2016.

Seriously, the good weather has the rough out of control. 5 hour round as everyone spent major time searching for balls. Playing partners lost a dozen between them not too far off fairway. I lost only one and drowned that.

mrbluu
4th October 2014, 07:50 PM
MM for me as well. Really struggled with mybswing and ball striking today. 82 scratch 78 nett. No birdies and only 5girs :-(

Coldtopper
4th October 2014, 08:03 PM
Monthly Medal. Scored an even ton. Might be closing in on a win. Last two medals were 102 and 101. At this rate I might hit the honour board some time in 2016.

Seriously, the good weather has the rough out of control. 5 hour round as everyone spent major time searching for balls. Playing partners lost a dozen between them not too far off fairway. I lost only one and drowned that. a final hit salute! Nice bat raise

highballin
4th October 2014, 08:31 PM
MM for me too. Very fast greens and windy 89 net 76. 8 over after 13 holes. All I had to do was bogey my way home and would have went close. Went DB,TB,DB,DB,Par :?

nadg63
4th October 2014, 09:43 PM
MM for me too. Very fast greens and windy 89 net 76. 8 over after 13 holes. All I had to do was bogey my way home and would have went close. Went DB,TB,DB,DB,Par :?

Saving it for next week at Tanunda HB!?

highballin
4th October 2014, 10:44 PM
Saving it for next week at Tanunda HB!?

Mmm yeah that must be it :)

Dotty
5th October 2014, 08:40 AM
A bi-polar 36 points.
DBB PPP PPP TPP PPP DBP

5 GIR, 10 GIH
4 bunkers, 1 Adolph and 4 up-and-down
27 putts

Buzz
5th October 2014, 09:24 AM
Adolph?

Dotty
5th October 2014, 09:27 AM
Adolph?
Two shots in a bunker.

nadg63
5th October 2014, 01:19 PM
34 points today, 11/23, very erratic round, 3 wipes on the front, one on the back. Best shot of the day for me, a PW from the wrong fairway, over trees to within 2 metres of the flag; worst shot/shots of the day, the three putt that followed - arghhhhhh! :evil: (made even worse by having just watched Coalesce do exactly the same ... :? )

Still, was a good day to be out on the course, nice weather, good company.

coalesce
5th October 2014, 01:53 PM
34 points today, 11/23, very erratic round, 3 wipes on the front, one on the back. Best shot of the day for me, a PW from the wrong fairway, over trees to within 2 metres of the flag; worst shot/shots of the day, the three putt that followed - arghhhhhh! :evil: (made even worse by having just watched Coalesce do exactly the same ... :? )

Still, was a good day to be out on the course, nice weather, good company.

Only 27 points for me, but I was level with nadg after 11 - only for him to go into overdrive :)

About the only good thing for me today was pitches from 100-120m, and my 3w. Everything else was stone cold, especially the driver....

coalesce
5th October 2014, 01:56 PM
Two shots in a bunker.

I had a double adolf last week...

Buzz
5th October 2014, 04:00 PM
Two shots in a bunker.

Ahhh I see.

I am familiar with this.

BenM
5th October 2014, 04:53 PM
2nd round of club champs qualifying today.

Once again, -1 nett at the turn, then went double, double, par, bogey, par, quad. Finished 76 nett. FFS.

Funny thing is we think my 90/92 might still scrape in to qualify for the scratch matchplay.