PDA

View Full Version : Tom Wishon- adjustable drivers

Trento
25th September 2014, 06:32 PM
Interesting video on YouTube of Tom Wishon basically dismissing the theory of adjusting lofts on drivers.Apparently loft cannot be changed.He suggests that opening and closing the face to suit your personal preference on how the club sits will not change the loft.

Vice MC
25th September 2014, 06:39 PM
I remember reading an article on this couple years ago. Think Virge posted it

spanner039
25th September 2014, 06:57 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/34917-Adjustable-hosel-drivers

Would be this one, im over the adjustable things.

3oneday
25th September 2014, 07:11 PM
I agree with Hux

Steve57
25th September 2014, 07:14 PM
I agree with Hux
+1

backintheswing
25th September 2014, 07:15 PM
I have an amp cell pro, chucked a new shaft in it at 10.5 for giggles. Was hitting it really high. Dropped it to 7.5 was hitting low runners. Seems to work for me.

benno_r
25th September 2014, 07:19 PM
Same for me. Covert on 8.5 goes low, on 12.5 goes high. I spray them all over so dont notice any change in face angle.

Shane788
25th September 2014, 08:32 PM
Same for me, I have play my SLDR on 8, if I go higher I hit moon balls.

Forecaddie
26th September 2014, 10:22 AM
Certainly the spin rates are noticable, but I agree with Spanner- I'm over it too. Also, the additional cost for the shaft adaptors are crazy. Good Idea for OEMs to increaase their profits.

wizard_of_oz
26th September 2014, 11:13 AM
In the real world application, lofting up or down certainly makes a difference to my driver flight. I'm not convinced on the draw setting, it doesn't seem to do very much.

Shane788
26th September 2014, 12:23 PM
In the real world application, lofting up or down certainly makes a difference to my driver flight. I'm not convinced on the draw setting, it doesn't seem to do very much.

I think you need to have such a repeatable swing to notice the draw/fade settings.

coalesce
26th September 2014, 12:31 PM
I think you need to have such a repeatable swing to notice the draw/fade settings.

I am definitely a chopper, but when I set my Cleveland Classic XL +2 degrees loft, which also opens the face, the result was a large predictable fade compared to when it is set to neutral. What part of that is the loft, and what part is the fade bias, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

pauly
26th September 2014, 12:41 PM
changing the loft on my sldr makes it go lower and higher

technically he's right though, the loft of the head doesn't change, it's not like you're actually adjusting the face within the head - you're just changing the angle in which the shaft enters the head.

talbo
26th September 2014, 01:26 PM
I am definitely a chopper, but when I set my Cleveland Classic XL +2 degrees loft, which also opens the face, the result was a large predictable fade compared to when it is set to neutral. What part of that is the loft, and what part is the fade bias, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

I'm pretty sure that opening face should promote more of a draw but it also depends on path (OTT promotes fade).

Johnny Canuck
26th September 2014, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that opening face should promote more of a draw but it also depends on path (OTT promotes fade).

Opening the face should promote a fade as the face will be open at impact.

coalesce
26th September 2014, 01:38 PM
Hmm, this has got me thinking.

Go to http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_588-custom-driver__588_custom_drv__viewProd_drivers.html scroll down you can see the adjustability settings.

I set mine from neutral (N) to 1.5 degree higher loft. Should this have promoted a fade or a draw? Whatever it says it should do, it gave me a consistent slice - much larger than I normally have, but also consistent rather than only slicing sometimes when set to neutral.

Obviously a large amount of this is my crappy swing, but there was enough evidence there to say some of it was due to the settings. As I say, I don't know what effect was loft and what was the open/closed.

talbo
26th September 2014, 02:09 PM
Opening the face should promote a fade as the face will be open at impact.

I'm confused as usual!! I know you can fade and slice with open face depending on path but I'm going to have to a read the new ball flight laws that Virge posted up somewhere again!

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2012-12/sean-foley-law-of-the-draw

Shane788
26th September 2014, 02:25 PM
I always thought adjusting loft up will increase draw...I notice a difference lofting up/down but don't notice a huge difference adjusting the draw/fade weight.

Daves
26th September 2014, 02:32 PM
Increasing loft closes the face angle, decreasing loft opens the face angle.

How that might translate to your swing is another thing. If you hold the shaft in the same way and position each swing, and swing down the line, an open face should see the ball start right and likely go further right, a closed face will send the ball left, with likely draw. But there are so many variables to the flight depending on your swing. The appearance of the face angle at address may cause you to change your swing to compensate for example.

wizard_of_oz
26th September 2014, 04:47 PM

Agreed, however, if you hit a fair amount of shots at the range on a particular setting, you should see a difference in the tendency of the ball to draw/hook vs on a neutral setting. I just don't think this is particularly evident..

Captain Nemo
26th September 2014, 05:15 PM
I respect a lot of what Wishon does and says, and he's right to a certain degree.
I think TM has done the best job of the adjustable drivers that adjust both loft and lie with the sole plate adjustablility.
I really think it helps with both the lot and lie aspect.
Just my 2cents...

Shane788
26th September 2014, 05:17 PM
Agreed, however, if you hit a fair amount of shots at the range on a particular setting, you should see a difference in the tendency of the ball to draw/hook vs on a neutral setting. I just don't think this is particularly evident..

Yep if you hit enough you will notice a pattern forming but on the course unless your flushing it I don't think it makes a huge difference as 10-12 driver swings are nearly all different.

3oneday
26th September 2014, 06:20 PM
If it did work, why are there tour issue drivers, and ones with hot melt as well?

Smoke and mirrors.

Scifisicko
26th September 2014, 08:11 PM
Pretty odd when you can see the face angle change at address. The 8.5 setting looks like a hockey stick, the 12.5 setting looks like a 9 iron.
Didnt read the article.

Daves
26th September 2014, 09:14 PM
I agree with Hux

+1

Exactly, the ability to try multiple shafts with minimal effort is the main upside of adjustable adaptors.

Pretty odd when you can see the face angle change at address. The 8.5 setting looks like a hockey stick, the 12.5 setting looks like a 9 iron.
Didnt read the article.

I have not doubt the adjustments change/move the club face relative to the shaft. But if you turn the shaft to "adjust" for the adjustments, the adjustments "disappear".

You can in theory do the same thing by opening, or closing, the club face at address. But what you do in your swing will affect the end result.

The down side of Adaptors is they add weight, some offset potentially, and remove a bit of feel. But in the scheme of things the benefits tend to offset the negatives.

Having said that, I am using a non Adaptor driver at the moment and struggling to find an Adaptor equipped driver that is competitive.

3oneday
27th September 2014, 12:22 PM
I used my x2 hot pro driver today, standard setting.

I hit fades, draws, blocks, a bigger draw and a couple of nice high ones.

Not bad for 8.5 degrees :)

Sorry, it is for the most a wank. You should be able to play most of the above (not a block) on demand. So yes, the ability to change the shaft is all the really matters.

pauly
27th September 2014, 02:44 PM
I have not doubt the adjustments change/move the club face relative to the shaft. But if you turn the shaft to "adjust" for the adjustments, the adjustments "disappear".

nah, the shaft ENTERS the head in a different angle, twisting the shaft doesn't change that
that's for loft btw

the ones that open and close the face are rubbish and do nothing

JADO75
27th September 2014, 03:28 PM
Bullshit

Shane788
27th September 2014, 04:06 PM
Bullshit

Lol

pauly
27th September 2014, 05:43 PM
lol, the argument of a poet

TheNuclearOne
27th September 2014, 05:52 PM
Over and above any debate per anything else i LOVE the ability to open that clubface. Absolutely cannot look down at closed clubs and hit them and even square stretches my tolerance a bit.