PDA

View Full Version : Chopping Tools for a Choppa!!!

mrbluu
25th September 2014, 02:38 PM
I don't mind doing a little bit of cooking and my has got it in my head I need a decent knife or a set of knives. I got a cheap Kiwi (That's the name of the brand) chef's knife that cost me $2 in Vietnam and a $3 stone. I keep this thing pretty sharp but it blunts quite easy and recently has a few small chips, so I'm thinking time for an upgrade........Like I need another thing to spend my money on!!!

I know bugger all about knives, but he as a set of Shun knives which to me are pretty awesome!!!

Questions, what other brands should I be looking at and where is the best/cheapest place to buy.

Thanks

mrbluu

Dangals
25th September 2014, 02:46 PM
I have a set of furi knives and I am really happy with them... My uncle who is a chef swears by them

Courty
25th September 2014, 02:49 PM
Mundial or Wusthof Trident

Matt1979
25th September 2014, 02:52 PM
Sabatier knives are pretty damn good

mrbluu
25th September 2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the replies so far lads, but where do I buy them for and roughly how much???

Matt1979
25th September 2014, 02:55 PM
Mundial or Wusthof Trident

I Have a set of Mundial knives -- hard to beat for the price. You can pick up the 9pc block for around 120-150$

mrbluu
25th September 2014, 03:02 PM
I Have a set of Mundial knives -- hard to beat for the price. You can pick up the 9pc block for around 120-150$

Thanks Matt I'm going spend a little more than that. I think the Shun's are around $150-250 per knife.

talbo
25th September 2014, 03:41 PM
I bought a set of Global knives a couple years ago for around half price, I too like to cook and these knives are fantastic and they're all still as sharp now as they were when I bought them.

Matt
25th September 2014, 03:53 PM
I used victorinox back when I was cooking. easy to put an edge on, easy to keep sharp, and cheaper than most I have some wusthof at home now, which are excellent, but expensive.

benno_r
25th September 2014, 04:47 PM
I use furi, have been going great for ages. I dont like Japanese style knives as I found them very sharp, but for not as long. If knives didn't also have to look ok in the kitchen, I'd go Swibo all day long. Use them as my fishing/filleting knives. Outstanding!

TS
25th September 2014, 04:55 PM
You need to go the the shop and see how the knife feel in your hand. I had my heart set on a set of Wusthof or Global, but I didn't like the feel of the handle on them. The Wusthof got too many hard edges and the Global's handle feel small. Ended up with a set of Scanpan knifes and they had been quite ok.

benno_r
25th September 2014, 04:58 PM
You need to go the the shop and see how the knife feel in your hand. I had my heart set on a set of Wusthof or Global, but I didn't like the feel of the handle on them. The Wusthof got too many hard edges and the Global's handle feel small. Ended up with a set of Scanpan knifes and they had been quite ok.
Awefully sensible advice.

After I tried a few, I ended up getting best deal through Peters of Kensington.

spanner039
25th September 2014, 05:02 PM
I went the global as well

More like Callaway than RoRoma though, sharpen them monthly, they seem fine after 5 years.

coalesce
25th September 2014, 05:20 PM
Is there a Pure Performance Knife Fitting Lab?

yoyo
25th September 2014, 07:23 PM
YoYo uses Global Knives.

Ron Burgundy
25th September 2014, 08:47 PM
Global here too. Tested a handful at a knife shop and then ended up getting them half price at David Jones.

mrbluu
25th September 2014, 08:58 PM
I'm thinking of getting something like this.... http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product/Details/38280

TS
25th September 2014, 10:03 PM
Don't forget look for a block to put the knife in.

Dotty
25th September 2014, 10:16 PM
I've been using a Trident Wustoff Classic cook's knife and sausage knife for the past 20 years, and can't fault them.

Then again, they get used as much as a Ferrari in Potts Point.

Shortylook
26th September 2014, 10:17 AM
E

Shortylook
26th September 2014, 10:34 AM
Tried to post my knives but Internet is ****ed here mate. I got a $7 dollar Chinese cleaver that is sharp as a razor and I use for everything. Then I made 2 more of my own knives. One out of a power hacksaw blade that is quite long and the other out of a piece of stainless steel, this knife is a ripper. Pity I can't show you. Both have wooden handles just different kinds. I have a proper set of knives that I got years ago that cost from memory just under $600. There was 6 in the block set,

talbo
26th September 2014, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking of getting something like this.... http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product/Details/38280

You can get a 7 pc Global set for not much more....

http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/products/global-knives/global-knife-block-set-synergy-7-piece/knife-block-sets

Scifisicko
6th October 2014, 11:57 AM
I was given a block 28 years ago. Two trident chefs knives, a mundial carving knife and a trident steel. I still have all three. I use the mundial the most because its the easiset to keep sharp. I use a diamond sharpener i got from King of knives and the steel. For the first 10 years i used to put them in the dishwasher. It didnt damage the tridents at all but the mundial handle has faded and probably would have fallen apart if id kept dishwashing it. Ive since learned that this is a no no. I reckon I will be passing all three of them on to the kids.... If I had to buy more knives id buy Mundials because they are half the price of the tridents and you can whip them into razors in about 45 seconds once per week. If you are really keen have a look at the Japanese ceramic knives. Supposed to hold a razor edge for ever (but drop them and they shatter).

Coldtopper
6th October 2014, 12:32 PM
Did you make a purchase Binh? Im sorry when you asked recently I presumed it was golf clubs. I use a Shun 18cm knife that's equivalent to Modart golf gear imo and a sushi knife that I got forged in Japan recently. I use it for everything at home even the animals dont like seeing it! Just need to learn to sharpen them and for the $500 odd dollars it makes good buying. 200 -300 per knife is around the amount you need to spend to get something decent. You need to move to Melbourne I wouldnt mind some decent food.

mrbluu
6th October 2014, 09:16 PM
Did you make a purchase Binh? Im sorry when you asked recently I presumed it was golf clubs. I use a Shun 18cm knife that's equivalent to Modart golf gear imo and a sushi knife that I got forged in Japan recently. I use it for everything at home even the animals dont like seeing it! Just need to learn to sharpen them and for the $500 odd dollars it makes good buying. 200 -300 per knife is around the amount you need to spend to get something decent. You need to move to Melbourne I wouldnt mind some decent food.

No yet mate, still trying to figure out if I'm going to get one or a whole set. I think the Shun's are the leader at the moment.

My current knife is really sharp but I needs a lot of work to keep the edge. I think I'm ok with the stone, but I can always learn more.

My kitchen is open any time u pay a visit :p

Coldtopper
6th October 2014, 09:28 PM
http://japan-blades.com/chef-knives/3389.html
My sushi knife is a Sugimoto similar to this. I got it from these guys great service. The lamb may go off on the trip up.
As the house bitch I get to spend a bit of time in the kitchen. I just dont do cakes in case anyone was wondering!

mrbluu
6th October 2014, 09:35 PM
http://japan-blades.com/chef-knives/3389.html My sushi knife is a Sugimoto similar to this. I got it from these guys great service. The lamb may go off on the trip up. As the house bitch I get to spend a bit of time in the kitchen. I just dont do cakes in case anyone was wondering!Very nice mate. I might have to come down your way, the family likes camping 8)

Coldtopper
6th October 2014, 09:42 PM
Very nice mate. I might have to come down your way, the family likes camping 8) Always plenty of room here! Good food and can be grown to order?, wine, cold beers only bad part is the shit golf courses hence why I am grumpy ! Open door policy here.

mrbluu
6th October 2014, 09:50 PM
Always plenty of room here! Good food and can be grown to order?, wine, cold beers only bad part is the shit golf courses hence why I am grumpy ! Open door policy here.

If I travel with the family there is not much of golf, but the rest of it sounds perfect!!!!

Coldtopper
6th October 2014, 10:05 PM
Anytime lots of laughs at the Myrtle Creek Country Club and kids love it. We grow most of what we eat on the farm hence why the CT family has an interest in food! It would be great to see you guys

mrbluu
6th October 2014, 10:08 PM
Anytime lots of laughs at the Myrtle Creek Country Club and kids love it. We grow most of what we eat on the farm hence why the CT family has an interest in food! It would be great to see you guys How far u guys away from Sydney???

Coldtopper
6th October 2014, 10:13 PM
No idea about 3 1/2 hours from Albury or 2 hours North of Melbourne, Bendigo is the nearest town.

mrbluu
6th October 2014, 10:17 PM
No idea about 3 1/2 hours from Albury or 2 hours North of Melbourne, Bendigo is the nearest town.

So maybe 10 hours??? Is easy to get to the great ocean road from where u are???

Coldtopper
6th October 2014, 10:22 PM
Two hours to Geelong from here go past OWAG's place then just down the line to Leftys .

mrbluu
6th October 2014, 10:31 PM
Two hours to Geelong from here go past OWAG's place then just down the line to Leftys .

I can see a road trip plan coming together!!