PDA

View Full Version : Mid range Putter

Buzz
23rd September 2014, 09:36 PM
Still considering finally abandoning the 70 year old putter for something new. I don't want to go overboard ... I'm more of the Rotella school that the implement isn't the main factor. I'm kinda thinking $200 is the limit which I assume is mid range, and more interested in non-mallet since I didn't get that type of ozgolf putter cover!

That still leaves a bazillion options and not really sure where to start. I've probably got $100 in pro shop credit so that's where I would likely start. Plenty of Odyssey and the like there but I wouldn't know one model from another.

Not much to go on ... Any advice??

Icestorm959
23rd September 2014, 09:41 PM
Scotty Cameron Newport, around $200-$300 ish I think.
Lajosi customs show up second hand on here for around the $200 mark as well.
Odyssey of course have a big range as well (not as good re-sale value though).

Putters are such personal things that its difficult to know what to recommend.

mrbluu
23rd September 2014, 10:07 PM
If u are not sure, spend some money in getting a putting fitting.

Dotty
23rd September 2014, 10:42 PM
I've tried a variety of styles, but have gone back to a Ping Anser 2 - Karsten TR. (Same as Buzz, $100 ball credit knocked off half the price.)

Copper colour and solid edges sets up square behind the ball. Grooved face puts a nice roll on the ball.

simmsy
23rd September 2014, 11:41 PM
Rife Antigua Black - $70 delivered.

Buzz
24th September 2014, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Simmsy I think given I've so uncertain what will suit me I'm going to avoid untried purchases ... For now :)

Icestorm959
24th September 2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Simmsy I think given I've so uncertain what will suit me I'm going to avoid untried purchases ... For now :)

Or buy 10 random putters and try them all over a period of a month, sell the 9 that you don't like :D. Probably more consistent than trying out a few briefly in one session on an artificial putting mat at a pro-shop ;)

Pro Shop could be useful to let you decide whether you're a mallet or a blade guy though :P

Buzz
24th September 2014, 01:09 PM
This may get me disbarred from ozgolf but I am 43 years old, I have played golf since my teens, and I have had one putter lifetime.

Steve57
24th September 2014, 01:12 PM
Buzz you have been a member of Ozgolf since 6/13.
Get with the programme!!!!!!!

3Puttpete
24th September 2014, 01:12 PM
Or buy 10 random putters and try them all over a period of a month, sell the 9 that you don't like

This. Ho it up and call it trialling

nadg63
24th September 2014, 01:22 PM
Can pick up Yes putters very cheaply at times and they're excellent putters.

3Puttpete
24th September 2014, 01:29 PM
I like that you're gonna spend $200 on your first putter for 30 years and won't even look at a mallet because it won't fit in your putter cover

:D

coalesce
24th September 2014, 01:50 PM
I like that you're gonna spend $200 on your first putter for 30 years and won't even look at a mallet because it won't fit in your putter cover

I recently changed to a counterbalanced mallet from a blade style one with OzGolf cover, and the improvement in putting more than makes up for the lack of cover. Hopefully there will be another run of covers at some point

Buzz
24th September 2014, 03:33 PM
Haha good point on the cover. Problem is I actually putt well with my existing putter, but it's going to fall apart eventually !!

ZENNON
24th September 2014, 05:12 PM
This may get me disbarred from ozgolf but I am 43 years old, I have played golf since my teens, and I have had one putter lifetime.
ban! ;)

MAZA68
24th September 2014, 05:41 PM
Check out Global Golf, they have some good deals at times. Trial ones in the pro shops and then buy online, beats paying $400 for a putter that you can grab on line for $150.

Daves
24th September 2014, 06:10 PM

Putters are very personal, you either like their look and feel or not. What you need to know as a starting point is what type of putting stroke you have, and that will help you narrow the field to the putters that suit that type of stroke. If you putt with a definite Arc, you need some toe hang. If straight back and through, face balanced will suit you better.

A putter fitting will go a long way to getting you on the right track. It will identify your type of stroke, the putter length you require, and quite possible a few other factors like loft, lie angle, grip type etc.

WBennett
24th September 2014, 06:15 PM
Still considering finally abandoning the 70 year old putter for something new. I don't want to go overboard ... I'm more of the Rotella school that the implement isn't the main factor. I'm kinda thinking $200 is the limit which I assume is mid range, and more interested in non-mallet since I didn't get that type of ozgolf putter cover!

That still leaves a bazillion options and not really sure where to start. I've probably got $100 in pro shop credit so that's where I would likely start. Plenty of Odyssey and the like there but I wouldn't know one model from another.

Not much to go on ... Any advice??

Ask the proshop if you can try a couple on the practise green, or go out to Petes where they have 100 different types on their green.

Try different shapes, weights, grips etc. You will find one that feels perfect.

And then you will get on course, miss two footers, and lose your mind with the thing. Then sell it to me for half of what you paid. And start the search again!

Buzz
24th September 2014, 06:22 PM
Maybe I can wring a few more years out of the old one yet ... :p

Thanks for the tips everyone

benno_r
24th September 2014, 06:36 PM

Get.

Off.

This.

Forum!!!!

mrbluu
24th September 2014, 06:47 PM

Are u the new KTK???

Buzz
24th September 2014, 07:06 PM
KTK?

Buzz
26th September 2014, 07:43 PM
Bit the bullet and ordered a Seemore FGP 34" ... had a round with a demo model and really liked it.

mrbluu
26th September 2014, 10:15 PM
KTK?

King Tyre Kicker :p

Buzz
27th September 2014, 06:16 AM
Ahhh I see

mrbluu
27th September 2014, 06:21 AM
Ahhh I see The seemore is good mate. Try to practice with an alignment AIF to help u aim straight and u will be a beast with it.