PDA

View Full Version : How many balls a week??

-FIGJAM-
23rd September 2014, 11:17 AM
So out of interest how many balls would you say you hit a week?

Also where do you practice?

How many games a week?

would be interesting to also know handicaps of people mentioned.

I am trying to hit a small bucket a week at the local driving range, probably 100-200 balls in it and get in a game as often as possible which isn't as often as I would like.

my handicap is non existent but would be over 9000......

Monsta
23rd September 2014, 11:29 AM
What is this "practice" thing that you speak of?????????

990B Luva
23rd September 2014, 11:38 AM
I think I've hit 3 buckets all year, and play a maybe one round a week. Just blown out to 7.6

LeftyHoges
23rd September 2014, 11:43 AM

practice – practise
(http://www.thefreedictionary.com/practise)In British English, practice is a noun and practise (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/practise) is a verb.

1. used as an uncountable noun
Practice involves doing something regularly in order to improve your ability at it.

Hmmm, nope, never heard of it either.

G.K
23rd September 2014, 12:42 PM
.............I am trying to hit a small bucket a week at the local driving range, probably 100-200 balls in it and get in a game as often as possible which isn't as often as I would like.......

Sheesh, do they give you a wheel barrow full of balls if you ask for a big bucket? :D

On average, I hit the range once a week and hit a bucket of 100 balls and usually play once a week. Probably works out to about 250ish balls a week when you include a bit of chipping and/or putting. Although, I have a habit of shanking at the range so the break down is probably 200 balls hit, 50 shanked.

Cap is currently 13.7. Has just been moving slightly up and down throughout the year so I wouldn't say that the practice is helping me improve. Probably more just maintaining where I'm at.

3oneday
23rd September 2014, 12:45 PM
The more I practice the worse I am getting, might just start chipping balls instead I think.

Buzz
23rd September 2014, 12:46 PM

Hold in I'm pretty sure you were officially sighted on a practice green recently ....

Dotty
23rd September 2014, 01:00 PM
A small bucket (50 balls) at the range once or twice a week.
About 50 chips on the club practice green twice a week.

Two comp. games a week, playing off 10-13.

Waddzy
23rd September 2014, 01:25 PM
Last year I was doing about 250 balls a week at the range to go from 30ish-14 cap . Then I stopped practicing all together and just played 9 holes in the afternoon once a week on top of my weekend game.

Now I have gone back to 1-2 buckets (150ish balls) a week and 1 game, Currently off 8.1.

I will be focusing on short game practice more now but so 1-2 hours a week on that and if I have no time to hit balls on the range so be it.

JADO75
23rd September 2014, 01:43 PM
Anywhere from 72 to about 82 normally when I play comp on Saturday

LeftyHoges
23rd September 2014, 04:45 PM
Anywhere from 72 to about 82 normally when I play comp on Saturday

About the same, but twice a month at the most unless pennant is on (in which case I only play pennant, not comps).

Current 'cap of 2.4.

Hatchman
23rd September 2014, 06:09 PM
None these days, lack of time and no where to practice.
When I was having a serious crack at trying to get lower I was pitching bout 300 balls (shag bag had had 100) and hitting 100 3 nights a week.

Coldtopper
23rd September 2014, 09:07 PM
School holidays atm and Im hitting 200 a day.

Daves
23rd September 2014, 09:31 PM
There was a time when I was hitting 3 to 4 hundred balls every other day. These days I mostly just play, 3 to 4 times a week, and spend a little time on the chipping practice area.

LeftyHoges
23rd September 2014, 09:56 PM
Jesus. Looking at the amount of actual practice others do maybe I shouldn't be upset if I hit it like a spud every now and then.

Daves
23rd September 2014, 09:58 PM
Jesus. Looking at the amount of actual practice others do maybe I shouldn't be upset if I hit it like a spud every now and then.

You couldn't afford the club repair costs!

jimandr
23rd September 2014, 10:19 PM
I'm far too careful with my money to pay for buckets of practice balls, particularly when they usually go 20m less distance than normal.

So, when I'm looking to pass some time I go to my local course, which has a practice fairway about 140m long, and is only wide enough for one person at a time. So, when I can get on it, I usually hit 20 half shots, then another 20 or so full shots with the two clubs I take with me. I'm usually bored by then and give it away.

If I can't get on the practice area I sneak onto the course and play some holes with two golf balls depending on how much time is available and how busy the course is.

I'd say in total I might hit 70 balls most weeks. I'm currently playing once per week, maybe twice on a good week. Clearly all of that isn't enough to reduce handicap below my current 8.5.

LeftyHoges
24th September 2014, 02:03 AM
You couldn't afford the club repair costs!

If I practiced more I wouldn't be so shit and wouldn't break as many clubs. (In theory)

Waddzy
24th September 2014, 07:14 AM
If I practiced more I wouldn't be so shit and wouldn't break as many clubs. (In theory)
But the expectation on yourself would be huge if you actually did hit balls = more broken clubs. At least right now your probably the one of the few people who can play off low cap with no practice and not care too much ;).

davepuppies
24th September 2014, 08:04 AM
I go through waves.

There are periods where I don't play for weeks- months, and don't hit a single ball.
Then I might get a bit excited again, and play once or twice a week, and hit a couple hundred balls.

Cap floats from 6-10 (8 right now, and entering a no interest phase)

AndyP
24th September 2014, 08:17 AM
I rarely hit ball after ball on a range. I prefer to go out and play 9 holes midweek with a couple of balls, then play a couple of extra from some spots. I also am trying to commit 10 minutes a day to putting on my green at home. This started well, but has dropped off in the last week with renovations happening at home.

I'll go up to a couple of months without playing at times, then at other times it will be every week, like pennant season. Generally, I'd like to get out for a full round once every two weeks.

My handicap sits at 7, and I guess I have got down to that by "practising" more than I used to. I'm hoping the home practice green at home will see some more improvement.

ZENNON
24th September 2014, 11:21 AM
I hit 1 or 2 (sometimes 3) balls once a fortnight or so

Godscountry
24th September 2014, 11:42 AM
1 Bucket a month and about 20 rounds per year. Currently 8.1

Coldtopper
24th September 2014, 08:13 PM
I know a someone who hits 300+ balls a week most of them with the big stick and most over 300yds then struggles to break 90!

mrbluu
24th September 2014, 08:37 PM
I know a someone who hits 300+ balls a week most of them with the big stick and most over 300yds then struggles to break 90!

Sounds like u need to hit more drivers and longer as well!!! :D

I go through months without going to the range, then when I'm sick of playing shit I'll go and a hit a large bucket or 2 a couple of times a week or go see Virge. I try to get 9 holes of practice/social hit once a week and play comp about 6 times a month.

If I don't have time for a hit and I'm really struggling I'll go up to the club for a putt and a chip.

Handicap is anywhere between 4 and 8, currently on 5.

mrbluu
24th September 2014, 08:39 PM
I will add not a lot of practice is required to go from 10-11 down to about 6-8 under this handicap system. If u are off about 10 u hit the well enough, u can get down to 6 by working on course management and better mental application.

Coldtopper
24th September 2014, 09:28 PM
Sounds like u need to hit more drivers and longer as well!!! :D

If I don't have time for a hit and I'm really struggling I'll go up to the club for a putt and a chip. .
Not me although I do hit over 300 balls a week and 90% of them are with a wedge ! Im too old to smash driver these days but get the odd one going ok!

IanO
25th September 2014, 06:57 AM
I haven't hit a practice ball in 8 months and my handicap has slipped from 12.3 to 12.6

Winter is about to set in and golf will stop for 4 months, so maybe I can get to an indoor range every now and then.

spanner039
25th September 2014, 09:03 AM
I know a someone who hits 300+ balls a week most of them with the big stick and most over 300yds then struggles to break 90! What a knob, I hear he is also good at cracking expensive jdm drivers as well.

Coldtopper
25th September 2014, 01:13 PM
What a knob, I hear he is also good at cracking expensive jdm drivers as well. I have heard better descriptive words used.

FuzzyJuzzy
25th September 2014, 01:56 PM
I'll go to the range and hit a large bucket if I've just picked up a new club/shaft and want to get a good feel for it, but I much prefer practicing on the course. It's obviously much more realistic and allows you to practice all kinds of shots from all kinds of lies - and to hit to an actual, real-life target, the same ones you're hitting to in comps. In Spring and Summer, I can sneak in a quick 9 holes first thing in the morning, then get on a train and still get to work by 0900. Love it. I try to just play one ball for most the way round and keep score with that ball, and then here and there I'll drop another ball or two and try to hit the green with it. I really enjoy getting out first thing in the morning during the week and pretty much having the course to yourself too.