PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a second hand Subaru/ CRV of approx $20k

Coldtopper
21st September 2014, 08:13 AM
We’re thinking about a second hand Subaru outback or Honda CRV for a run around. I have looked at every car going just concerned about will I have to eat muesli bars, do cross country skiing, become a vegan and listen to folk music if I buy a Subaru? Or are they considered safe to operate these days.
Its 20klm to reach the bitumen road so need something tough! The Rav, Hyundai, Volvo, VW and Mitsubishi won’t cut it here! Interested in any thoughts! Outback, Forrester ect ???

spanner039
21st September 2014, 08:24 AM
What do the neighbors drive?

Coldtopper
21st September 2014, 08:31 AM
80 series cruisers! Or utes with Conargo pub stickers. They dont go out often as they can afford the gas!

markTHEblake
21st September 2014, 02:25 PM
grab one of these babies to get from your joint to civilisation

http://wastelandweekend.com/wp-content/uploads/MG_7411.jpg

virge666
21st September 2014, 02:45 PM
Just paid 14k for a 2.5 petrol forester.

2011 model bought from northern Sydney.

Good car. You don't want to tow anything with it

Coldtopper
21st September 2014, 04:02 PM
grab one of these babies to get from your joint to civilisation

Id need something bigger to carry this fat cat around.

Coldtopper
21st September 2014, 04:03 PM
Just paid 14k for a 2.5 petrol forester.

2011 model bought from northern Sydney.

Good car. You don't want to tow anything with it Cool just a run about. Thanks for the post

mrbluu
21st September 2014, 04:05 PM
Get a diesel Forrester or liberty CT, should be much better for the long drives and better on fuel.

spanner039
21st September 2014, 06:38 PM
Crew cabby ute thingo out of the question?

Coldtopper
21st September 2014, 08:03 PM
Crew cabby ute thingo out of the question? needs to be economical as Im considering joining a course in Melbourne.

Coldtopper
21st September 2014, 08:05 PM
Get a diesel Forrester or liberty CT, should be much better for the long drives and better on fuel. what year is yours? Im reading variable reviews from different years

mrbluu
21st September 2014, 08:08 PM
what year is yours? Im reading variable reviews from different years

I got a 09 XT but its a petrol one. More powerful but also more thirsty than the diesel models.

Coldtopper
21st September 2014, 08:12 PM
I got a 09 XT but its a petrol one. More powerful but also more thirsty than the diesel models. thanks for post. How are they on shitty roads? Rattles etc

mrbluu
21st September 2014, 08:20 PM
thanks for post. How are they on shitty roads? Rattles etc

I find them fine but I've also never owned a luxury car so not fussed on smooth rides. They got a higher ground clearance than most of their counterparts such as the rav and crv etc.

G.K
21st September 2014, 08:25 PM
Not sure if you have a preference but if you needed an auto and you were looking at a diesel Subaru, it would need to be 2013 or newer. I'm fairly sure the diesel variants were only available in manual up to 2012.

Dotty
21st September 2014, 09:27 PM
needs to be economical as Im considering joining a course in Melbourne.
My old 2003 Forester wasn't economical on long trips as they rev near 3000rpm at 110kph, and got around 10l/100km both city and country.

Interior was a bit tight, especially in the back seat.

Coldtopper
21st September 2014, 10:34 PM
My old 2003 Forester wasn't economical on long trips as they rev near 3000rpm at 110kph, and got around 10l/100km both city and country.

Interior was a bit tight, especially in the back seat. Thanks for the tips Dotty & GK. Might have a look at a 2012 liberty as well. Just need to keep this on budget as the savings will come in handy.

Dotty
22nd September 2014, 07:06 AM
I had the original Liberty (brilliant car) and the original Outback (a few QC problems, worst was a leaking seal to the roof rails) and appreciated the extra space over the Forester.

Forester great to manouver around town/parking, and chosen primarily for an invalid passenger. It developed a slight oil seal leak around 125K (fixed at 200K for over $3K), and I think this was a common problem with 2003/2004 models. Towards the end (250K), there were a couple of costly electronic issues - $600 for an oxygen sensor, next year $500 for the 'distributor' and plug leads, to fix a misfire.

Although it's not on your list, StuartD147 has a Santa Fe that has impressed me and could be worth a look. (Ditto the Mondeo that I'm driving now, but it doesn't have the ground clearance for rutted roads.)

LarryLong
22nd September 2014, 10:06 AM
I've got a 2010 outback - the first one that came out with the CVT and the new body shape. I don't really know that much about cars, but I like it. It's bigger than the old subaru wagons, which I'm not so fond of, but you can certainly fit a shit load of stuff into it. I can fit a 9'6" surfboard in and still shut the tailgate, which is important. Fuel economy is very good for a car of it's size - I remember checking when I bought it and it rated better than most of the cars in it's class. I guess that's the CVT. It's a little bit different to drive because you don't get the gear changing 'jerks' as you accelerate, but it takes off quickly enough. I don't know if it is any good for towing - I never bothered to get a tow ball installed. I have the petrol model, but I think there are diesel ones around too.

Most importantly, the stereo is quite good and my folk music sounds awesome when I'm cruising to my pilates class with a soy latte in my hand.

mrbluu
22nd September 2014, 11:13 AM

Interior was a bit tight, especially in the back seat.

The early model Foresters were considered the best handling of the SUV's, the trade off was they were a little smaller and had a lower clearance (Lower CG etc). The newer models like mine 2009, are larger there for more room inside. They also had more ground clearance and a softer ride, which is more comfortable but not as good in the bends. Can't have everything.......

Coldtopper
22nd September 2014, 11:52 AM
I've got a 2010 outback - Most importantly, the stereo is quite good and my folk music sounds awesome when I'm cruising to my pilates class with a soy latte in my hand.
Mung beans in gluten free artisian wraps are good I hear!

Thanks for the posts. Normally I wouldn’t care much but as a decent course membership can be added into this deal a good decision is needed here.

Coldtopper
26th September 2014, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys Mrs CT got a 2012 CRV instead. BUGGAR!