PDA

View Full Version : Chipping yips.

Coldtopper
16th September 2014, 08:46 AM
How to overcome the chipping yips. I know a golfer who cant chip and stabs everything. Just seeing if anyone has overcame this issue or knows how? I was thinking a backhanded 5 wood. He uses a putter from 30 out!

mrbluu
16th September 2014, 09:24 AM
How to overcome the chipping yips. I know a golfer who cant chip and stabs everything. Just seeing if anyone has overcame this issue or knows how? I was thinking a backhanded 5 wood. He uses a putter from 30 out!

Yes me. I had the dread shanks for about 4 years and the worse part of my game was the chipping and pitching.

I would teach him swing path and how to use the bounce.

http://www.mytpi.com/exercises/#hydroplane_chipping_drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZLuaxmT9gc

talbo
16th September 2014, 09:48 AM
Practise hitting chips whilst watching the club head come from an inside path. This helped me with both accuracy and eliminated most of the chunks and thins because in order to watch the club head you have to stay down through it.

dan
16th September 2014, 12:20 PM
Doing one handed chips (with your right hand if right handed) is a good drill to do.

spanner039
16th September 2014, 03:41 PM
For an awful second thought this may have been directed at me, but i use the putter from 40 out not 30.

Good luck

WBennett
16th September 2014, 03:49 PM
Me too Spanner. Last weekend I had about 10 pitches and chips. 9 duffed or bladed. 1 perfect and straight into the cup.

Golf just sucks sometimes.

spanner039
16th September 2014, 04:22 PM
Unreal!!! But I thought you were heaps better than me, I can't remember the last time I duffed and sculled my putter from 40

I see your rocking the 7 wood - give it a go

LarryLong
16th September 2014, 04:30 PM
I skulled a chip so badly on Saturday that the ball didn't move. At least if I had gone with the putter it would have ended up in the bunker one shot earlier than it actually did.

mrbluu
16th September 2014, 04:48 PM
I skulled a chip so badly on Saturday that the ball didn't move. At least if I had gone with the putter it would have ended up in the bunker one shot earlier than it actually did.

Is this even possible???

G.K
16th September 2014, 05:21 PM
..... At least if I had gone with the putter it would have ended up in the bunker one shot earlier than it actually did.

I chuckled.

I'm another that has difficulty finding the middle ground between digging a trench and blading the shite out of it. I have a tendency to stab at it, which ultimately ends up with me stabbing the head of my wedge into the ground axe style after the ball has either gone nowhere, or about 5 times as far as intended, and at shin height!

Buzz
16th September 2014, 05:50 PM
Sometimes this forum makes me feel bad about my golf. Sometimes it makes me feel good. This thread is one of the latter times :)

spanner039
16th September 2014, 05:59 PM
Sent these guys an email to see if it comes in mens as well the reply came back "probably"

Larry you can go first

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Two-Way-2-Way-Golf-Chipper-Stainless-Steel-Ladies-Women-/151050525530?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item232b501b5a&_uhb=1

(http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Two-Way-2-Way-Golf-Chipper-Stainless-Steel-Ladies-Women-/151050525530?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item232b501b5a&_uhb=1)

highballin
16th September 2014, 06:35 PM
I would teach him swing path and how to use the bounce.

Geez that's a good clip Blu thanks for sharing that one.

Cheers HB

Coldtopper
16th September 2014, 07:07 PM
Unreal!!! But I thought you were heaps better than me, I can't remember the last time I duffed and sculled my putter from 40

I see your rocking the 7 wood - give it a go We all need a V Steel 7 wood. I'm looking for mine atm great for that tricky chip that get away from you. Wont you be putting from 20 out with your new Geisha inspired driver?

Coldtopper
16th September 2014, 07:11 PM
I chuckled.

I'm another that has difficulty finding the middle ground between digging a trench and blading the shite out of it. I have a tendency to stab at it, which ultimately ends up with me stabbing the head of my wedge into the ground axe style after the ball has either gone nowhere, or about 5 times as far as intended, and at shin height! Thanks for the post makes some feel good!

spanner039
16th September 2014, 07:20 PM
Wont you be putting from 20 out with your new Geisha inspired driver?

Yes your right, but ill probably have to chip back onto the fairway first.

Never had trouble chipping sideways or even backwards.

razaar
16th September 2014, 08:05 PM
Peter Senior suffered the chipping yips for several years. He went to a left hand low grip and chipped cross handed.
I believe the only way to chip is to close the clubface during the takeaway by rotating both forearms with a see-saw shoulder action and allow the arms to relax in the forward swing. The clubface stays on target from start to finish with this chipping action.

jumbuck
16th September 2014, 08:40 PM
For a start never mention that hideous little word yips. Talking about negative stuff just enables it to feed.
Read an interesting book by Tim Gallway (sports psychologist and ex tennis pro) "The inner game of golf".
The focus was on how to deal with the negative (fear) thoughts he called Self 2 and how to maximise the positive Self 1
In tennis the trick was to say out loud "bounce" as the ball bounced on your side of the net and "hit" the very moment you hit the ball. I have done this and it works.
Golf - you can say "back" takeaway and "hit".
This distracts Self 2 as he has a different task.
Along with this you have to start a mental routine as you approach the ball. You have to keep no.2 busy by working out what the terrain to the hole is like - what club you are going to use - visualise the shot nice and smooth back and thru - practice the shot then get to it.
If you stuff it up - don't spit it. Ask what went wrong - was the swing too fast - did I look up etc.
This is all fine but you need a basic technique.
To stop the really bad topping and fat shots - initially play the ball off the right big toe (righthanders) - keep your left arm rigid (no bent elbow no wrist break) take it straight back - keep most of your weight on the left leg (90+%) - brace your right leg so tightly that there is absolutely no body movement (lifting or swaying) and the final piece of the puzzle - make sure your head is in front of the ball. DON'T LOOK UP!!!
Keeping my head in front of the ball has been tremendously helpful.
Next you need to practice - hundreds of easy shots to build a foundation of confidence.
This has been a work in progress for me over 10 years or so - I can now pull out an 8,9,W and focus on the pin not the fear!
You can do this in the backyard.

Coldtopper
16th September 2014, 08:53 PM
Anyone use one these? Was thinking it may work 32403 or are the ones with 2 balls better?
Thanks for the tips will pass them on!

mrbluu
16th September 2014, 10:47 PM
Golf - you can say "back" takeaway and "hit".

JB I heard this helps with driving yips.....maybe IBF should tried this method???

HammerX Intro Video: http://youtu.be/IYI0bPnvzOY

coalesce
4th November 2014, 07:23 PM
Interesting article about a guy on the European Tour who changed to chipping one-handed to beat the yips

http://bbc.in/1tvHY7g

Scifisicko
6th November 2014, 11:18 AM
I used to be a good natural chipper but now im cr@p. These things help me get avereage results.

1)Head absolutely still...dont let it bob up and down at all
2)put the ball just back of the low spot (no further back than middle...dont give the leading edge a chance to dig)
3)Use the natural swing arc (come into the ball from the inside) not straight back
4)Make sure club head accelerates...general rule; follow thgrough two or three times as long as backswing
5)landing spot is your target not the hole
6)Lots of practice!

I get up and down a from time to time, but its a struggle. I usually fluff at least 1 per round, mainly because i havent done 1 or 3 (or both).
I also have Bob Rotella in my mind (love your wedge)....im trying!

I went through a patch last year when i had the Y things and was hitting every chip fat. I started looking at the front of the ball and made that my target. I stopped hitting it fat.

mrbluu
6th November 2014, 01:08 PM
I used to be a good natural chipper but now im cr@p. These things help me get avereage results.

1)Head absolutely still...dont let it bob up and down at all
2)put the ball just back of the low spot (no further back than middle...dont give the leading edge a chance to dig)
3)Use the natural swing arc (come into the ball from the inside) not straight back
4)Make sure club head accelerates...general rule; follow thgrough two or three times as long as backswing
5)landing spot is your target not the hole
6)Lots of practice!

I get up and down a from time to time, but its a struggle. I usually fluff at least 1 per round, mainly because i havent done 1 or 3 (or both).
I also have Bob Rotella in my mind (love your wedge)....im trying!

I went through a patch last year when i had the Y things and was hitting every chip fat. I started looking at the front of the ball and made that my target. I stopped hitting it fat.

Points 1 and 5 I really agree with!!! Points 2, 4, 5 and 6 I'm 50/50 on.

Point 3 I completely disagree with. For me, I've found that the club head needs to be outside the hands and ideally the you are hitting little cut shots with the pitch shots so its a little more of an out to in swing.

You can play the ball much more forward than you think if you are using the bounce and to change where the club bottoms out you move your weight a little or a lot forward.

If you used the right techniques then tonnes of practice is not necessary and if you have the wrong technique then all the practice in the world is not going to help!!!

Here is a good video for ppl struggling with their chipping. Combine this with Ben Crane's using the bounce.

http://www.mytpi.com/exercises/#hydroplane_chipping_drill

Scifisicko
6th November 2014, 02:20 PM
My take on the path is that good chippers can manufacture almost anything with their hands. Cr@p chippers (like me) need to take out the little muscles and give up on manipulating things like the path. I have one basic high(ish) percentage chip stroke and loft choice to manipulate the flight. It works in most situations.

I agree on the ball position, it can be forward of center if you move the arc forward. Striking at the bottom or forward of bottom of the arc is higher % than striking down on a ball behind the low point.

You should practice what gives you the best chance of going low. For many thats the short game.

cantchip
6th November 2014, 03:17 PM
As the name suggests I'm well versed in this area. The video above on bounce and the one's by Phil Mickelson have helped me improve dramatically, can't recommend enough. Understanding bounce has been a game changer.

Johnny Canuck
6th November 2014, 03:43 PM
Accelarating through the ball is the key.

Also, ensure the hands get through before the club head, don't flip.

A key for me has been concentrating that my front left shoulder doesn't lift, dip or move forward. If you keep it steady and only rotate your body as you should, you'll go far ;). I choose the shoulder because it is easy to monitor. If it is moving, you have something out of wack somewhere in the swing (bending knees at impact, etc) that is throwing things off.

Coldtopper
6th November 2014, 07:34 PM
Had the coach give me a few tips!
Told me to bend my elbows a little
Keep the ball in the middle of stance
Dont forward press
Feel my right elbow on my investment (fat gut) throughout the action
Wow what a difference I now know why most + sized guys have good short games!

mrbluu
6th November 2014, 07:41 PM
Had the coach give me a few tips!
Told me to bend my elbows a little
Keep the ball in the middle of stance
Dont forward press
Feel my right elbow on my investment (fat gut) throughout the action
Wow what a difference I now know why most + sized guys have good short games!

So you are anchoring your elbow ;)

Coldtopper
6th November 2014, 07:57 PM
So you are anchoring your elbow ;) being a fat bastard has to have some benefits!

mrbluu
6th November 2014, 07:59 PM
being a fat bastard has to have some benefits! I agree!!!

Coldtopper
6th November 2014, 08:02 PM
I agree!!!
I hope the ozgolfer who now owns a 7 wood is reading this thread about resting the right elbow on your gut!

Scifisicko
6th November 2014, 08:04 PM
Right elbow on your investment is keeping path from the inside.

Coldtopper
6th November 2014, 08:07 PM
Right elbow on your investment is keeping path from the inside. yes! Or is it square with body throughout the action? If you turn your torso correctly?

Wardy101
30th April 2015, 09:39 PM
hate to revive this but I nearly snapped my wedge in half today....one hole I managed to chip from one side of the green three times before deciding to chip the last try one handed. Seem to have zero distance control which is frustrating when getting up to the greens in a reasonable number of strokes for a hack like me.

Craig_Syd
1st May 2015, 10:20 AM
That's nothing.... I had 37 points on Tuesday at Terrey Hills including 5 wipes. 41 points would have got me and the Mrs a free trip to Qld. Each of the 5 wipes I was in the green side bunker for 2 on a par 4 with a shot and one par 5 in the greenside bunker for two with a shot. Apart from that I flushed it hahahahahahaa.

virge666
1st May 2015, 12:47 PM
hate to revive this but I nearly snapped my wedge in half today....one hole I managed to chip from one side of the green three times before deciding to chip the last try one handed. Seem to have zero distance control which is frustrating when getting up to the greens in a reasonable number of strokes for a hack like me.

Are you able to get a copy of last week's golf fix episode ?

or

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzP-i6AlkeCDN0lyZ05GN3RIcTQ&authuser=0

Captain Nemo
1st May 2015, 03:00 PM
Are you able to get a copy of last week's golf fix episode ?

or

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzP-i6AlkeCDN0lyZ05GN3RIcTQ&authuser=0

Watched that last night, absolutely invaluable, super viewing.

PIJKA
16th May 2015, 05:16 PM
Anyone struggling with the stuff round the green has to watch Mickelson's Secrets of the Short Game DVD. The advice is simple, clear and transformed my short game. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Hatchman
23rd June 2015, 08:53 PM
I might be frequenting here before I end up one of BOgle's good mates.
Got the stub and flub going good atm.

PeteyD
27th June 2015, 04:50 PM
What is it when you go straight under the ball and it lobs up and goes about half the distance? Usually on softer ground.

Hatchman
27th June 2015, 05:00 PM
What is it when you go straight under the ball and it lobs up and goes about half the distance? Usually on softer ground.

Flub.

PeteyD
27th June 2015, 05:03 PM
What causes it?

highballin
27th June 2015, 06:59 PM
What causes it?

I don't know but I am very good at it especially when I have just played a cracking iron or wood to get close.

PeteyD
27th June 2015, 07:02 PM
Flub is a good name for it. I am becoming proficient at them, particularly on an up-slope.

Hatchman
27th June 2015, 07:26 PM
What causes it?

For a right handed it's the loss of the shape (straight left hand / wrist / arm) at impact.
I think the break down of shape comes from the over acting right.

Also can be triggered worrying about being too firm.

TheNuclearOne
27th June 2015, 07:43 PM
Far more common when using high lofted clubs!!!

3Puttpete
27th June 2015, 07:59 PM
What causes it?

For a right handed it's the loss of the shape (straight left hand / wrist / arm) at impact.
I think the break down of shape comes from the over acting right.

Also can be triggered worrying about being too firm.

Too technical for me. Isn't is as simple as the club going through and not bouncing off the ground, like in fluffy grass?

Hatchman
27th June 2015, 08:38 PM
Too technical for me. Isn't is as simple as the club going through and not bouncing off the ground, like in fluffy grass?

Na, that's just sliding under it. No break down of technique with that one.

3Puttpete
27th June 2015, 08:42 PM
Na, that's just sliding under it. No break down of technique with that one.

I think you'll find there's a breakdown of technique with everything I do.

Hatchman
27th June 2015, 09:01 PM
I think you'll find there's a breakdown of technique with everything I do.

Selling yourself short S.A champ :D

jimandr
27th June 2015, 09:07 PM
I'm checking in here. I hit three chips a total of 10 feet today. I know the cause and cure but I feel better for putting this on record.

I hate this game. How can something so easy be so hard.

3Puttpete
27th June 2015, 09:08 PM
Selling yourself short S.A champ :D

Didn't beat much

[emoji2]

highballin
28th June 2015, 11:15 AM
Didn't beat much
[emoji2]

Hey I resemble that remark!

PeteyD
28th June 2015, 05:03 PM
Not 1 today. Yah!

Hatchman
28th June 2015, 05:20 PM
Not 1 today. Yah!

What did you do different?

PeteyD
28th June 2015, 05:33 PM
Concentrated on sweeping a bit more to avoid a fat hit, had a few practice swings each time and didn't think about it too much.

Hard_Pan
28th June 2015, 09:54 PM
If I get yippy on short chips, I try to keep the heel of my club off the ground for a few holes (or more), until my confidence comes back.

wazamac
29th June 2015, 06:12 PM
I find just grabbing a 9 or 8 iron and using a putting stroke can sometimes help. Don't always have to try and fly the ball to the hole with zip!
Check out this useful vid - www.youtube.com/watch?v=48PlO1NUvUs

Hux
29th June 2015, 07:48 PM
I have had them chronic of late. Watched a U tube vid where old mate was chipping on a green - someone posted it up.

The thought of trying to take the ball clean ie letting the loft do the work seems to have worked. Only chunked one on Sunday and actually hit a couple of decent ones close as well.

Ferrins
12th September 2015, 04:27 PM
I have taken this to a new level where my forearms spasm and my hands jolt making it almost impossible to execute a stroke. For people that have never had this it is a real fear and is very debilitating. I had four basic errors today that made me shoot 90 instead of 78.

Jazz18
14th September 2015, 10:14 PM
I have taken this to a new level where my forearms spasm and my hands jolt making it almost impossible to execute a stroke. For people that have never had this it is a real fear and is very debilitating. I had four basic errors today that made me shoot 90 instead of 78.

I hear ya. More than once in my last round I yipped a pitch or chip. For example. 14th hole par 4. Downhill 340m. Smashed my best drive of the round to 60m out. Took me another three to get on the green and had one putt for a point. I missed..........easy double.

Ferrins
15th September 2015, 03:58 AM
Might try some muscle relaxants, sms swears by them.

Ferrins
15th September 2015, 04:05 AM
I hear ya. More than once in my last round I yipped a pitch or chip. For example. 14th hole par 4. Downhill 340m. Smashed my best drive of the round to 60m out. Took me another three to get on the green and had one putt for a point. I missed..........easy double.
I have no middle ground like on Friday hit approch wedge to inside a foot for tap in birdie, Then next hole par 4 greenside for 2 in the first cut and knife a basic 8 iron chip and end up with an 8.

sms316
15th September 2015, 05:05 AM
Might try some muscle relaxants, sms swears by them. They worked when we roomed together at Pelican Waters. You weren't tight at all.

Ferrins
15th September 2015, 05:23 AM
Nothing slips bi you.

Jazz18
15th September 2015, 06:36 AM
I have no middle ground like on Friday hit approch wedge to inside a foot for tap in birdie, Then next hole par 4 greenside for 2 in the first cut and knife a basic 8 iron chip and end up with an 8.

Ouch!

Captain Nemo
15th September 2015, 09:37 AM
Might try some muscle relaxants, sms swears by them.

I've been at a certain Ozgolf chemist to provide me with some beta blockers for a while now.....no luck!
:(

Jazz18
15th September 2015, 09:47 AM
For me it all comes down to tempo. My tempo on my chipping is so crap and everything falls apart. My hands take over and I'm gone. If I am able to slow it right down, it seems to help a lot.

mrbluu
15th September 2015, 02:47 PM
For me it all comes down to tempo. My tempo on my chipping is so crap and everything falls apart. My hands take over and I'm gone. If I am able to slow it right down, it seems to help a lot.
Tempo can help mask some faults in the technique, but learn to chip and your chipping "yips" will be a thing of the past.

razaar
15th September 2015, 03:26 PM
I remember when Peter Senior had the chipping yips. He went to a left hand low method from inside 30 metres from the green. Pete was very wristy player, he could bend his thumbs back and almost touch the side of his forearm. It was this flexibility in his wrists that may have caused the yips.
If you have the yips, check if you are breaking the wrists early on an inside path and opening the clubface. This method requires a round about path of returning to impact. The correct method is a straight back path shutting the clubface by a sligh tcounterclockwise rotation of both forearms. The return path back to impact is dead straight.
A takeaway where the forearms rotate clockwise opens the clubface to the swing plane and encourages an inside takeaway with elbow flexion. Can you see the difficulties this causes to the forward swing and accurate contact? The shut face method has the clubface looking at the back of the ball from takeaway to impact with minimal (if any) clubface rotation from start to finish. The clubface looks at the target in the follow through. There is no right elbow flexion so the clubhead stays low to the ground throughout.

Ferrins
15th September 2015, 05:08 PM
I will try that counter clockwise move Ray, thanks for caring and sharing.

Jazz18
15th September 2015, 05:36 PM
I remember when Peter Senior had the chipping yips. He went to a left hand low method from inside 30 metres from the green. Pete was very wristy player, he could bend his thumbs back and almost touch the side of his forearm. It was this flexibility in his wrists that may have caused the yips.
If you have the yips, check if you are breaking the wrists early on an inside path and opening the clubface. This method requires a round about path of returning to impact. The correct method is a straight back path shutting the clubface by a sligh tcounterclockwise rotation of both forearms. The return path back to impact is dead straight.
A takeaway where the forearms rotate clockwise opens the clubface to the swing plane and encourages an inside takeaway with elbow flexion. Can you see the difficulties this causes to the forward swing and accurate contact? The shut face method has the clubface looking at the back of the ball from takeaway to impact with minimal (if any) clubface rotation from start to finish. The clubface looks at the target in the follow through. There is no right elbow flexion so the clubhead stays low to the ground throughout.

This sounds like what I'm trying to do. I'll keep working on it when I can but hard to build confidence when you don't have time to practice. Used to be a decent chipper a few years back so I'm sure it's in there somewhere. I'm glad I can putt somewhat or my game would be a complete shambles at the moment.

cratcliffe
15th September 2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks razaar
This is something really worth trying, for me anyway

hardboiled
15th September 2015, 09:11 PM
Work for the full swing?

razaar
16th September 2015, 05:30 AM
Work for the full swing?I guess, every elite player has this element in their normal swing.

LarryLong
16th September 2015, 10:44 PM
Thanks Ray. I think the anticlockwise forearms thing is too hard for a guy like me to think about, but less wrist and a straighter right arm might be a fix for my current slide into putter from 40m territory. Feels good on the lounge room carpet. I'll give it a go.

razaar
17th September 2015, 07:30 AM
Thanks Ray. I think the anticlockwise forearms thing is too hard for a guy like me to think about, but less wrist and a straighter right arm might be a fix for my current slide into putter from 40m territory. Feels good on the lounge room carpet. I'll give it a go.Larry, when you see players on the TV spinning the club before or after a shot, guess which way the club head is rotating. I'm guessing it rotates counter clockwise. Whenever you get a golf club in your hands get in the habit of rotating the shaft counter clockwise with each forearm/wrist. We can hold the golf club very lightly with this method because the clubface returns to square without our help. Can't say that for the clockwise rotation.

Scifisicko
17th September 2015, 09:22 AM
Ray, I imagine what you are suggesting is that the club looks somewhat hooded and square to the plane like Duval/Zac Johnson?, If so there are plenty on tour who open the club face (rotate it clockwise to the plane/toe up) for chips. Part of PMs "hinge" is a clockwise rotation. TW another who is toe up at the top of chip backswing (?) What am I missing? Would love to be a better chipper.

razaar
17th September 2015, 10:49 AM
Sci, what you are missing with that pic of Tiger is that he opened ( laid back) the clubface at address. I can see his right forearm is fully pronates (turned counter clockwise) while his left is resisting pronation. If it is resisting pronation it is supinating. It is something worth understanding in this game.

Scifisicko
17th September 2015, 12:22 PM
Sci, what you are missing with that pic of Tiger is that he opened ( laid back) the clubface at address. I can see his right forearm is fully pronates (turned counter clockwise) while his left is resisting pronation. If it is resisting pronation it is supinating. It is something worth understanding in this game.

Thanks Ray, yeah I can see that position looks contrived, what about this one?

Ferrins
17th September 2015, 12:58 PM
It's quite easy to work out. What ever you think is correct with your swing is actually opposite for what is correct for your swing.

Captain Nemo
17th September 2015, 01:10 PM
This is all too much.
Supernation, pronation, lay off, clockwise, counterclockwise, clockwise, it's all too much.
I'm off to get a lesson with my pro.

razaar
17th September 2015, 01:13 PM
Thanks Ray, yeah I can see that position looks contrived, what about this one?
37385Same method as Tiger, supinated right forearm, pronates left forearm. Just goes to show how much we learn from watching a good action. If somebody in the know didn't point it out, then we tend to only see the arms and club swinging.
Watch a top tennis player twist or twirl the racket, bet it is counter clockwise for a righty.
What do you mean by contrived?

razaar
17th September 2015, 01:38 PM
This is all too much.
Supernation, pronation, lay off, clockwise, counterclockwise, clockwise, it's all too much.
I'm off to get a lesson with my pro.Good luck finding a club pro who teaches the shut to open method. I have yet to come across one.

Captain Nemo
17th September 2015, 01:45 PM
Im not looking at certain methods Ray, all to confusing....

PeteyD
17th September 2015, 02:12 PM
Same method as Tiger, supinated right forearm, pronates left forearm. Just goes to show how much we learn from watching a good action. If somebody in the know didn't point it out, then we tend to only see the arms and club swinging.
Watch a top tennis player twist or twirl the racket, bet it is counter clockwise for a righty.
What do you mean by contrived?

You are talking about Phil here? So it is the wrong way round for normal people?

razaar
17th September 2015, 03:01 PM
You are talking about Phil here? So it is the wrong way round for normal people?I guess. Phil is a natural righty who learned to play from the left side of the ball. That has to put him in the abnormal category. He is a shut to open player in his normal game from 7 or 8-iron to LW. The rest of his normal game is open to shut with a rotating clubface through impact. In other words he supinates his right forearm and pronates his left forearm through impact, where a shut to open player will have both forearms supinating through impact. A flipper has both forearms pronating through impact.

PeteyD
17th September 2015, 03:20 PM
Both forearms supinating keeps a stable square face through impact? I meant left and right were the wrong way around cos phil was on the wrong side.

razaar
17th September 2015, 03:32 PM
Yes.

Daves
17th September 2015, 09:37 PM
Breed (Golf Fix) did a segment on chipping a few weeks ago. He talked about pulling the club through to the left (to the right for lefties). I found this made sense for me. Think of a sweeping motion, like you were sweeping the floor.

I like to focus on the front of the ball, and about 6 inches in front. If i hit down and through this area, pulling to the right, I seem to get the shot I am after, with distance control. Whether you take a divot or not is dependent on your intent, chip and run, or drop and stop. You can also vary the flight of the ball by standing more upright, or lower/flatter. A more upright stance (Club toe hangs low) is also helpful with ordinary lies, as the clubhead is less likely to catch or dig.

mrbluu
18th September 2015, 06:19 AM
Breed (Golf Fix) did a segment on chipping a few weeks ago. He talked about pulling the club through to the left (to the right for lefties). I found this made sense for me. Think of a sweeping motion, like you were sweeping the floor.

I like to focus on the front of the ball, and about 6 inches in front. If i hit down and through this area, pulling to the right, I seem to get the shot I am after, with distance control. Whether you take a divot or not is dependent on your intent, chip and run, or drop and stop. You can also vary the flight of the ball by standing more upright, or lower/flatter. A more upright stance (Club toe hangs low) is also helpful with ordinary lies, as the clubhead is less likely to catch or dig.
That was an awesome segment!!

awhc
18th September 2015, 10:23 AM
Good video

LarryLong
19th September 2015, 05:22 PM
Update:

I took all this wisdom out on the course today. 2nd hole, par 5, 50m out after 2 (cracking shots, I might add). Finished with 8. Pretty much flubbed or bladed every chip for the entire day.

I'm out. :)

Yossarian
21st September 2015, 10:30 AM
Is your setup right? Simply getting my hands forward at address has done wonders for me.

Johnny Canuck
21st September 2015, 10:35 AM
Is your setup right? Simply getting my hands forward at address has done wonders for me.

Flubshank

LarryLong
21st September 2015, 01:30 PM

I actually pondered this yesterday. My biggest problem of late has been digging the club into the turf trying to put the hands forward, so I put the ball forward in the stance. It sounds backward, but I figure if the ball is far enough forward it becomes harder to hit down on it and you have to keep the hands forward to avoid blading it. I tried it out with 5 minutes of chipping into the net on my kid's trampoline from about 3m away, and I got much more consistent contact with my wedges and actually managed to get them high (one even went over the trampoline, and I never hit them that high). I'll give that a go on the course next and see what happens.

Ashes
21st September 2015, 01:45 PM
Is your setup right? Simply getting my hands forward at address has done wonders for me. So I need to deloft more?

mrbluu
21st September 2015, 01:45 PM
I actually pondered this yesterday. My biggest problem of late has been digging the club into the turf trying to put the hands forward, so I put the ball forward in the stance. It sounds backward, but I figure if the ball is far enough forward it becomes harder to hit down on it and you have to keep the hands forward to avoid blading it. I tried it out with 5 minutes of chipping into the net on my kid's trampoline from about 3m away, and I got much more consistent contact with my wedges and actually managed to get them high (one even went over the trampoline, and I never hit them that high). I'll give that a go on the course next and see what happens. Moving the ball forward works as u are using the bounce more a d have a more swallow AoA so u have more margin for error.

3Puttpete
21st September 2015, 01:48 PM
Sorted

Ferrins
5th October 2015, 09:21 AM
The Short Game by Seve Betterbyasterio.
On Youtube, me likey. Got to get better than full reta^d for the SA Champs.

Hatchman
5th October 2015, 09:29 AM

You want to get better than Keegan Bradley :?

Ferrins
5th October 2015, 09:31 AM
Ok no club twirling or push backs.

Hutchy
5th October 2015, 03:10 PM
Ball slightly back of centre, hands forward, faceopen but de lofted, stance open, putter stroke, easy chip if you have a yip.

Johnny Canuck
5th October 2015, 03:23 PM

Stance oping, clubface oping.

I could listen to Seve talk all day. Great vids.

oldracer
6th October 2015, 07:26 AM
Stance oping, clubface oping.

I could listen to Seve talk all day. Great vids.the original grip n rip fella

Ferrins
13th October 2015, 05:54 PM
On the mend in a big way thanks to Seve. Low single figures here I come.😎

perci
13th October 2015, 07:16 PM
Moving the ball forward works as u are using the bounce more a d have a more swallow AoA so u have more margin for error.

Hey Blue can you clarify " a more swallow AoA " for me, is this before or after the Shot???

mrbluu
13th October 2015, 07:21 PM
Hey Blue can you clarify " a more swallow AoA " for me, is this before or after the Shot???
Hi Perci basically hit down less on the ball. U will ideally still want to catch the ball first but if u are using the bounce correctly the club will slide along the turf giving u more margin for error.

I think the guys in this video explain it quite well.

https://youtu.be/PA_AMo-BaU4

3oneday
13th October 2015, 07:27 PM
Hey Blue can you clarify " a more swallow AoA " for me, is this before or after the Shot???:)

Johnny Canuck
13th October 2015, 08:04 PM
Chipping nips?

hacker
13th October 2015, 09:37 PM
On the mend in a big way thanks to Seve. Low single figures here I come.