PDA

View Full Version : IPOD question ... transferring library

Jono
3rd March 2006, 01:12 AM
Here's a question for the Ipod-savvy.

I have the IPOD Nano and have built up a significant library on my laptop computer. I have just upgraded my laptop and installed the Ipod software on the new computer. When I connected the Ipod, it told me that the it is associated with another library on a different computer and asked me whether I wanted to erase all the songs on the Ipod and sync it to the new library on the new computer (which currently is blank). Of course, I said no ...

Is there a way to transfer all the songs from the old computer to the new one?

Fishman Dan
3rd March 2006, 07:32 AM
I think you just need to tell iTunes where the new library is, and it will synch-away! I've actually go to do this myself before next week.

But if you erase the iPod, move the library and re-synch, you shouldn't lose anything anyway?

Keza_G
3rd March 2006, 08:17 AM
In Itunes there is a thing called "add folder to library" or "add file to library".. you can add song to your library this way... just add the whole Itunes folder to it and it should transfer everything over. Similar to what Fishy just said..

I have added heaps of song that I have downloaded no probs, can't see whay you couldn't add the whole library...

Cheers

Keza

connico
3rd March 2006, 09:51 AM
yeah just to confirm it another time, before you sync need to move all your mp3s to the new computer, either via networking your laptops or via burning those mp3s to a dvd or cd and coping them to your new laptop and associating them with itunes...

You can also just transfer all the songs from your nano to your laptop but you gotta use other software to do that, Apple a f&*kers they wont let to copy mp3s directly from a nano like a normal storage device...f&*kers

Choppa
3rd March 2006, 04:31 PM
You can also just transfer all the songs from your nano to your laptop but you gotta use other software to do that, Apple a f&*kers they wont let to copy mp3s directly from a nano like a normal storage device...f&*kers

You can do this, but the files are "hidden", and their's names are all *&$^#(#. Nevertheless music can still be copied, the organisation following would be painful though.

connico
3rd March 2006, 04:36 PM
thats right its ****...itunes wont except them in that format either, we've tried...****ing apple....they should be shot...

regardless the nano is a nice piece of hardware, if only it worked like it should...

Jono
3rd March 2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks guy ... I'll give it a try ...

It seems like Apple has gone to extra lengths to prevent illegal copying of music ... which is understandable, but then they should also provide you with an easy method of transferring your own stuff when you are upgrading. :(

connico
3rd March 2006, 04:41 PM
is you cant find a positive way, give it to me and ill fix it for you, wont even charge you pro rate lol...

terryand
3rd March 2006, 05:32 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of the 100 gig ones of these.
mp3 player and can transfer direct form CF card onto it.Also has a LCD screen to view pics aswell.

Good for when on holidays or when I'm on a big day out taking pics like the day at the V8's.

I assume with something like this you don't have the Apple problems

http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/default.asp?mode=products&section=products&pid=45

Terry.

Grunt
3rd March 2006, 07:04 PM
Jono there r heaps of programs out there that let you send from your ipod to any laptop to resync the opposite way that itunes does. I will find out off a guy from work tomorrow night. If I take my laptop in I will let you know the name so you can download it from the web.

Courty
3rd March 2006, 07:29 PM
Set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files & folders & then browse the iPod. The songs will be there spread amongst a few folders. Just copy them from there. Of course, if you had a Mac, it would all be so much easier.

Jono
3rd March 2006, 10:31 PM
Set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files & folders & then browse the iPod. The songs will be there spread amongst a few folders. Just copy them from there. Of course, if you had a Mac, it would all be so much easier.

Ahh ... the good old copy and paste ... exactly what I'm comfortable with. Thanks, I'll try that. 8)

Thanks for the info, Grant. I'll see how I go with Courty's method.

Courty
9th March 2006, 10:44 AM
So how did it go, Jono?