PDA

View Full Version : japanese forged V Forged V Cast

3oneday
12th September 2014, 01:10 PM
OK, did a search and couldn't find the last one, but seriously...

Saying japanese irons are softer than standard forged irons, coupled with folks who reckon they can tell the difference between cast and forged.....

Surely the fact that there a conductor of at least 35 inches long with a rubber material surrounding it negates this so called feel? Buttery soft? C'mon, if you play off greater than 6 or 7 does it feel that buttery soft off the toe?

Certainly not wishing to start an argument, but logically I can't see how these statements can be justified.

I should add a :) now.

Jerrymoo
12th September 2014, 01:58 PM
So... all irons feel the same?

3oneday
12th September 2014, 02:12 PM
So... all irons feel the same?do all Japanese irons feel the same?

Have you put the same shaft and grip in 4 different sets to judge the feel?

Probably a piece of string question, but consider this, a set of Burner 2.0 game improvement irons (possibly something that you have never held :) ) feels different to a set of Rocketbladez Tours. Why? Is it the shaft, the fact that they are super game improvement and the COG is in a different spot, maybe it is a cheaper make or design process?

You answered a question with a question, furnishing no answer, as an "expert" on the Jap iron, what makes them different? From memory you are off 16 or so, so enlighten me, why do they feel better?

I never said they all felt the same, but you directly compared your new irons to a set of AP2 and said "the difference is night and day".

Why?

(I didn't want to ask you in the for sale thread)

Dotty
12th September 2014, 02:16 PM
3od, you've got a case of the Binh's.

Different Jerry.

3oneday
12th September 2014, 02:19 PM
So I have, how funny :) Sorry Jerrymoo, go buy some jap irons and report back please :)

Here's is what I was looking for : http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/8903-Softest-forging-%28not-miura-too-exy%29 8)

Daves
12th September 2014, 02:27 PM
Forged clubs definitely mark up (bag chatter, dints etc) more than Cast. So they do seem to be softer in that regard. As too feel, how do you measure it? There are plenty of Cast Wedges that feel soft, and are mistaken for Forged by many. Most of my iron sets are forged, so "hard" to compare. Cast Pings do feel different, but not necessarily "harder" different.

Dotty
12th September 2014, 02:35 PM
Didn't Cobra produce AMP Cell and AMP Cell Forged a few years back?

You should be able to find a couple of $20 ex-demo 6 irons with the same shaft and grip sitting in a bargain barrel somewhere.

aym
12th September 2014, 02:55 PM
OK, did a search and couldn't find the last one, but seriously... Saying japanese irons are softer than standard forged irons, coupled with folks who reckon they can tell the difference between cast and forged..... I'm with you there, based on what I've heard and read the clubs are not softer in feel, and feel has more to do with the sound at impact, if you watch crossfields videos it's all about how it sounds if it's mutated it tends to associate with soft, and like TM and ping it's often more clucky so to speak hence it sound more powerful. In my expriance as a mid high hcp, playing mx 300 and jpx825 now the soft comes from hitting the middle, and granted jpx has a louder sound when miss hit if you ask me how much my hands hurt, probably about the same vs a forged mx300Excuse the typo, too hard to type with fat fingers on the iPhone

supo67
12th September 2014, 03:20 PM
ive got a cast ping eye with monacco and a forged miura 2 iron exaclty the same shaft.
theres a prety big differnce to me.
id never ever take the ping out in winter , but ill hapilly take the miura to the north pole to play santy at his home track

ive also got a set of cast prgr data 811 irons, my first foray into JDM and the latest forged version. both with NS pro shaft, albeit slightyl differernt models.. but the feel at impac is vastly differnt.

i guess its just what u like ot hit.
ive hit mizzies and the latest endo srixons and i think they are too soft.
ive hit endo tourstage blades and i think they are too hard

dont ask me why but, apples aint oranges

the best feel on any club ive hit are the TM tp r9 jp model
i hate TM with a passion, but i gotta say these irons are off the hook and i got a pretty decent array of diffent kinds of irons

theres a pretty big differnce in feel with all of them

the trick is to find what u like.

yamaha forged is not the same as tourstage nor the same as EPON.

and its certianly not the same as the ping eye.

but that ping eye served me well. i just dont like its feel 1 iota.
but ill play it and played it well at barnbugle

but id never run out and get a set of them.

3oneday
12th September 2014, 03:31 PM
What does "too soft" mean with regard performance, like you lose distance?

wizard_of_oz
12th September 2014, 03:47 PM
What does "too soft" mean with regard performance, like you lose distance?

I'd guess not enough feedback on off centered hits..

LarryLong
12th September 2014, 03:53 PM
Japanese irons:

Jerrymoo
12th September 2014, 03:58 PM
Sorry Jerrymoo, go buy some jap irons and report back please :)

I've had one set of JDM irons: TM's 2008 TP Forged. And they were super soft.

But, yeah, mostly I agree with you; the whole 'soft feel' thing does get a bit overdone, right? Like, for something as subjective as the feel of an iron, some people really do overemphasize the value of 'softness'.

rqrox
12th September 2014, 04:34 PM
For me I find that the cast irons feel dead at impact and has a sort of a clang sound with less feed back where as, for me, the forged sound more of a thud and tell you you can't play golf quicker than the cast.
For clarity I've tried Wilson Staff V2 ( cast) and the Adams A14 ( cast) all with KBS. I am using a few sets of JDM irons albeit with Modus shafts.

benno_r
12th September 2014, 04:38 PM
For me I find that the cast irons feel dead at impact and has a sort of a clang sound with less feed back where as, for me, the forged sound more of a thud and tell you you can't play golf quicker than the cast.
For clarity I've tried Wilson Staff V2 ( cast) and the Adams A14 ( cast) all with KBS. I am using a few sets of JDM irons albeit with Modus shafts.

Dude the V2 is forged.

supo67
12th September 2014, 04:44 PM
not really...., the ball gets lost on the face too much for me liking .
if u hit a ball slighty off centre theres no discernable differnce in feel to a well struck one.
some gusy love that. but i want a bit more feedback on shots if i cream it iwant to go
oooooooooooooooooooohbabay yea!!!!!!!!
and if i miss it iwant to go ahhhh nearly.... just a mm better.....

for me the matusyama srixons and prety much all mizzeis are too " good" for my taste. and the tourstage i go ahhh i got that but i didnt get that ooooooo yea baby.

yamaha def give eme that feel . and so do miura

benno_r
12th September 2014, 04:44 PM
In my mind, a well struck shot feels like a well struck shot with any well designed club. My ping i5's feel as sweet as my AMP forged when I get it in the sweet spot.

The both can feel like crap on an ordinary shot too.

davepuppies
12th September 2014, 04:58 PM
I agree with whoever said feel is more related to sound than actual soft vs hard feel.

A well struck shot out of the middle of my AP2 feels the same to me as a well struck shot out of the middle of my cast DCI.

Dotty
12th September 2014, 05:26 PM
I agree with whoever said feel is more related to sound than actual soft vs hard feel.

A well struck shot out of the middle of my AP2 feels the same to me as a well struck shot out of the middle of my cast DCI.
That was Blakey.

That's twice in one day.

talbo
12th September 2014, 05:45 PM
Castings are poured from many different materials as are forged clubs forged from many different materials..... As already stated a lot of it is sound related and I too don't necessarily believe a well struck shot feels any different between a forged AP2, MP32 or cast TM.

Progolfgear
12th September 2014, 05:45 PM
Yup, sound is where people tend to get the perception of an iron 'feeling' harder or softer. Have done many experiments with golfers not being able to hear the club hit the ball, you can feel the difference between off centre and centre, but aside from the extremity's of hard or soft irons, no-one can actually 'feel' the difference.

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 05:59 PM
Just buy a set of Buchi grinds and find out for yourself! Or hit another club on parity. The only better thing I have ever felt charged by the hour.

gazgolf1
12th September 2014, 06:15 PM
I used to have a set of Honma PP737's and they were the softest irons I've ever hit, even softer than MP-33's so I would'nt be surprised if Jap forgings are softer than other forged irons.

petethepilot
12th September 2014, 06:21 PM
Miura's are IMHO actually quite hard. You know they are forged but the feeling in the hands is not 'butter soft' (where as Mizuno blades are) but a strong hard purposeful feel. At least my Baby Blades were! I think Epon have the best overall feel but they are now heading toward major offset as standard which defeats the purpose of having blades for a good player!

Pete

Webster
12th September 2014, 06:24 PM
Honma PP737 are cast heads Gaz.

backintheswing
12th September 2014, 06:25 PM
This thread is very funny.

Webster
12th September 2014, 06:30 PM
It's piss funny. All it needs it some Zigwah and that pole smoker Mackjackass to chime in with the dribble they posted in the old thread.

Shane788
12th September 2014, 06:32 PM
This thread is very funny.

I thought so too

Sydney Hacker
12th September 2014, 06:32 PM
Didn't Zig compare it to knives or something?

Webster
12th September 2014, 06:36 PM
See page 5 onwards from the old thread -Zigwah at his finest.

gazgolf1
12th September 2014, 07:29 PM
Honma PP737 are cast heads Gaz.

Really? well f%*k me :)

Captain Nemo
12th September 2014, 07:46 PM
I'm a Choppa but when I catch one in the middle of the old Ping Zing 2's , well...... :)

Sydney Hacker
12th September 2014, 07:48 PM
See page 5 onwards from the old thread -Zigwah at his finest. Ahh the memories...

oncewasagolfer
12th September 2014, 07:52 PM
I can still remember zig hoeing into a mighty Angus after playing shep scary stuff:)

rick3003
12th September 2014, 08:05 PM
Shaft plays a huge part IMO...
If the club has the right amount of flex and you can feel the shaft loading then translates into feel.

goonie
12th September 2014, 10:27 PM
Maxfli Revos are the softest irons I have ever hit, but like others have said it's all about the sound.

Check these out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkb12RwntlM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXpcnjh3uSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGu4gQ3PVI8

Icestorm959
13th September 2014, 08:31 AM
You wouldn't cast a good broadsword, so its forged all the way and to hell with whether I can tell the difference or not! :D

3oneday
13th September 2014, 09:13 AM
I'm a Choppa but when I catch one in the middle of the old Ping Zing 2's , well...... :)i may have mentioned (once or twice) over the years the sweet feel from a sweetly struck of a set of toppies 8)

Off to visit them this school hols too, can't wait to see them again.

Sydney Hacker
13th September 2014, 09:25 AM
i may have mentioned (once or twice) over the years the sweet feel from a sweetly struck of a set of toppies 8)Off to visit them this school hols too, can't wait to see them again. Are you like me and take a set to the holiday home, use them while you are there, love them, shake your head about why you don't use them all the time?

idgolfguy
13th September 2014, 01:06 PM
Probably been said before:
The shaft profile has more impact on how soft the head feels, more so than the forged or cast.

I can tell the difference when I carry my bag as the chatter is different from forged and cast.

Captain Nemo
18th September 2014, 08:43 AM
Good discussion here:
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/511483-what-is-the-best-forged-irons-in-golf/

aym
19th September 2014, 12:01 AM
Good discussion here:
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/511483-what-is-the-best-forged-irons-in-golf/

It's more like a contest to see who knows the most Japanese names than an actual discussion :P

Eca
19th September 2014, 08:25 AM
Definitely its in the sound for me.
I just got myself into club building thanks to Binh & the real soft is when you bend them :)
This is also the beaut part with quality forging, the weight gap is so spot on, swingweight matching is easy.

freddy a
19th September 2014, 08:58 AM
Definitely its in the sound for me.
I just got myself into club building thanks to Binh & the real soft is when you bend them :)
This is also the beaut part with quality forging, the weight gap is so spot on, swingweight matching is easy.
+1 totally agree when I'm building jdm irons I notice that I never have to use lead tips to get the sw right throughout the set.