PDA

View Full Version : The FedEx Cup Tour Championship- Apples should be in.

Davemason
11th September 2014, 02:22 PM
Stuart Appleby should be feeling duded by the PGA.

As only the top 30 players makes to the Tour Championship and Apples was 31 he just missed out.

But with Dustin Johnson taking a leave of absents few weeks ago and holding the 30th position but isn't playing there is only 29 playing in the Coca-Cola.

You would think that Apples should get his spot , I say bad form to the PGA

mrbluu
11th September 2014, 02:30 PM
No he shouldn't!!!

I like Apps, but if he can't earn more points in the 3 events than someone he isn't playing them, then he doesn't deserve the spot.

3oneday
11th September 2014, 02:40 PM
He might feel dudded, but if Day doesn't play should we start a thread about the guy who finished 32nd?

Davemason
11th September 2014, 04:04 PM
The difference between Day and Johnson is Day didn't leave over 3 weeks ago.

coalesce
11th September 2014, 04:11 PM
But Appleby doesn't qualify. Its not for the top 30 available players by ranking, its the top 30 ranked players. That's how qualification for the tournament was defined.

jimandr
11th September 2014, 09:56 PM
I would've thought this thread should be in Tour Talk, but as a fellow moderator has already posted and not moved the thread I won't do anything, except comment.

There is a great deal of confusion about what the playoffs are supposed to be doing. Are they a reward for those who have played well through the year, and as such are they supposed to be identifying the best player of the year. Or are they a four tournament mini-tour with a big pot of gold for the best player in those events?

The way the points are structured, they are neither. As such, the concept isn't working. I think the one tournament Race to Dubai concept works better.

I would be voting for player 31 except for one technicality. Dustin Johnson isn't officially suspended, so in theory he could turn up and play this week. We all know why he isn't playing, but if the circumstances were different, you can't prevent him from playing, even though he hasn't played any of the previous weeks.

I will predict that the rules will change after this though. The authorities could not have predicted something like this, and I'll predict all players will have to play 2 of 3 (possibly even the first and last) to be eligible to play the final.

coalesce
12th September 2014, 12:24 AM
I didn't notice what forum it was in as I was just reading unread posts via tapatalk. Feel free to move it, or I'll do it tomorrow :)