PDA

View Full Version : Need to stop lifting and dropping through the swing

SirTop
9th September 2014, 10:38 PM
Any thoughts on stopping this.

HC around 15 at the moment, keep lifting and dropping through the swing so I catch fat and thin.

Annoying, 70% of shots now are lovely solid contact, drop and stop on greens etc but the 30% are just bloody ordinary, fat or thin.

As a cricketer I probably still try to hit irons on the up rather than the loft doing the work, but reminding myself consciously to take a divot and compress the ball.

Playing Mizuno JPX 825 Pros, 1 inch longer

A good round is 86 off the stick on par 72 and high 90's on a bad day

Cheers

yoyo
10th September 2014, 06:36 AM
For me, stopping the up & down is helped alot by being conscious of cocking the front knee. Invariably this is a main driver in shit shots for me. And also, just plain and simple keeping your head down!

davepuppies
10th September 2014, 07:27 AM
For me good consistent contact comes from keeping my head still, and not allowing to sway off the ball, just focusing on keeping it as still as possible. If I do this, I compress it cleanly. If I don't, it's a mixed bag.

talbo
10th September 2014, 09:18 AM
For me it's all about the first move down, If I get it wrong and mis-time the transition then I'm likely to thin or fat it. davepuppies is right on the money too as the bottom of your swing arc is much more predictable if your head is still

Wools
10th September 2014, 10:19 AM
This is my exact problem too and I play off a similar handicap. One thing I did find that helped was to reduce the length of my backswing. I tend to overseeing which pulls my head up. Making a shorter swing reduced this tendency and improved my strikes. This actually increased my distance even though I felt I had a 3/4 swing.

Wools
10th September 2014, 10:20 AM
•over swing not overseeing

SirTop
11th September 2014, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback, and the more I think about it the more I think keeping the head down is one of the key issues I need to overcome

Case in point, often I'll misshit a shot that's a long way from the hole, or if I'm way off in the rough, or especially so when taking a drop with the water to get over - I'll basically try to hit the crap out of it to make the distance or clear the water, in turn lifting my head as I lose control

It's frustrating going from a beautiful near perfect golf stroke on one shot, to beginner grade on the next

Repetition at the range might be the best approach before the next lesson

Daves
11th September 2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback, and the more I think about it the more I think keeping the head down is one of the key issues I need to overcome

Case in point, often I'll misshit a shot that's a long way from the hole, or if I'm way off in the rough, or especially so when taking a drop with the water to get over - I'll basically try to hit the crap out of it to make the distance or clear the water, in turn lifting my head as I lose control

It's frustrating going from a beautiful near perfect golf stroke on one shot, to beginner grade on the next

Repetition at the range might be the best approach before the next lesson

Lifting your head in itself is unlikely to be your problem, but rather a symptom of it. Your head lifts because it is attached to your body, it can't do it by itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2mmBBNFuN8

p4m
11th September 2014, 07:24 PM
Are you lifting just before impact or whole way through?

I found focusing on bum helped me keep on similar levels.. however still slightly lifting before impact at the moment

davidw88
11th September 2014, 10:15 PM
My problem is I drop my head to much in the downswing, very hard to get rid of.

SirTop
11th September 2014, 11:04 PM
Are you lifting just before impact or whole way through?

I found focusing on bum helped me keep on similar levels.. however still slightly lifting before impact at the moment
I'm not sure, I'll have to watch some video and see

I do lift my body come to think of it as well.

Coldtopper
11th September 2014, 11:22 PM
Your grip, alignment and posture need work! Get the pre shot stuff sorted before getting too far into it!

3oneday
12th September 2014, 08:05 AM
I have improved my ball striking a bit by using bits of the S & T method, I am a classic dipper. See below, no harm in "trying" to see if it helps :)

Learn S&T In 30 Minutes

Stack & Tilt contradicts a lot of what is taught today, so it's important that you approach these first swings with an open mind and a willingness to focus on one piece at a time. Here is the basic progression in a 30-minute session:

1. Using a 5-iron, hit 10 balls focusing on keeping your weight on your front foot.
2. Hit the next 10 balls with your weight forward and your left shoulder turning downward.
3. Hit the next 10 balls with your weight forward, your shoulder turning down and your hands swinging inward.
4. Hit the next 10 with your weight forward, shoulder down, hands in and your butt tucking under your torso through impact.
5. Hit the next 10 with your weight forward, shoulder down, hands in, butt tucked and your arms staying straight to the finish.

With this routine, you'll begin to see improvement in the quality of your impact. You're learning to compress the ball with a downward strike and to keep your shoulder center in place, which fixes the swing's low point for solid contact. That's the first step in trying Stack & Tilt.

As someone famous around here would say, enjoy :)

SirTop
12th September 2014, 08:49 AM
I have improved my ball striking a bit by using bits of the S & T method, I am a classic dipper. See below, no harm in "trying" to see if it helps :)

Learn S&T In 30 Minutes

Stack & Tilt contradicts a lot of what is taught today, so it's important that you approach these first swings with an open mind and a willingness to focus on one piece at a time. Here is the basic progression in a 30-minute session:

1. Using a 5-iron, hit 10 balls focusing on keeping your weight on your front foot.
2. Hit the next 10 balls with your weight forward and your left shoulder turning downward.
3. Hit the next 10 balls with your weight forward, your shoulder turning down and your hands swinging inward.
4. Hit the next 10 with your weight forward, shoulder down, hands in and your butt tucking under your torso through impact.
5. Hit the next 10 with your weight forward, shoulder down, hands in, butt tucked and your arms staying straight to the finish.

With this routine, you'll begin to see improvement in the quality of your impact. You're learning to compress the ball with a downward strike and to keep your shoulder center in place, which fixes the swing's low point for solid contact. That's the first step in trying Stack & Tilt.

As someone famous around here would say, enjoy :)
Thanks

What does it mean to keep your shoulder centre in place?

Had an excellent hit this morning before work.

I was shortening my swing and keeping eyes locked on the ball.

Only 5-10 % probably were misshit I guess