PDA

View Full Version : Irons off the tee - help!

yoyo
6th September 2014, 02:17 PM
Gents i need some help getting my head straight hitting irons off the tee.

Im talking about to par 3's here, so i guess we can split it to longer irons and shorter irons, if you treat/have diff tips for each.

I'm really struggling with consistency in distance control and accuracy, which i believe is stemming from uncertainty around tee height and ball position in stance. I feel like ive tried a bit of everything but nothing seems to have worked consistently.
I have a naturally high launch and the vast majority of my misses are to the right.

Any tips from the collective on playing into par 3's ?

3Puttpete
6th September 2014, 02:25 PM
Don't use a tee

Davemason
6th September 2014, 02:34 PM
Just go to the range and hit balls until you are comfortable with ball contact and ball distance.

Then take note tee height and ball position and then take it to the course with conference.

mrbluu
6th September 2014, 02:35 PM
Buy more hybrids....

Davemason
6th September 2014, 02:35 PM
Or just go to the range and hit balls until your arms fall off.

Dotty
6th September 2014, 02:45 PM
Buy more hybrids....
+11.

mrbluu
6th September 2014, 03:56 PM
+11.

You got an 11 hybrid now???

KristianJ
6th September 2014, 03:56 PM
+11.

Binary?

Dotty
6th September 2014, 04:39 PM
+1 didn't have enough emphasis.

3Puttpete
6th September 2014, 04:41 PM
+1 didn't have enough emphasis.

That's not a 1 hybrid Dotty. That's your driver

talbo
6th September 2014, 04:41 PM
I use a tee height that really only gives me a good lie

Dotty
6th September 2014, 04:49 PM
That's not a 1 hybrid Dotty. That's your driver
But it goes as far everyone else's hybrid.

3Puttpete
6th September 2014, 04:56 PM
I'll bet it's straighter than them though

matty
6th September 2014, 05:42 PM

No it doesn't.

Dotty
6th September 2014, 05:52 PM
No it doesn't.
I very nearly had that qualifier in there.

Coldtopper
8th September 2014, 12:23 PM
Why not just lay up YoYo! Take whatever club and aim for the safe place.

yoyo
8th September 2014, 12:24 PM
I all too often lay up in the water

3Puttpete
8th September 2014, 12:42 PM
Why not just lay up YoYo! Take whatever club and aim for the safe place.

I all too often lay up in the water

What's the plural of alias?

Coldtopper
8th September 2014, 01:55 PM
On a serious note sounds like your ball position at address needs work YoYo.

Bruce
8th September 2014, 02:26 PM
Gents i need some help getting my head straight hitting irons off the tee.

Im talking about to par 3's here, so i guess we can split it to longer irons and shorter irons, if you treat/have diff tips for each.

I'm really struggling with consistency in distance control and accuracy, which i believe is stemming from uncertainty around tee height and ball position in stance. I feel like ive tried a bit of everything but nothing seems to have worked consistently.
I have a naturally high launch and the vast majority of my misses are to the right.

Any tips from the collective on playing into par 3's ?

You are most likely a flipper based on this description. I am too and will be fighting that for the rest of my life. Consider seeking professional help.

My solution to a similar problem was to not tee the ball 'up' at all. Just make yourself a perfect lie. More than a couple of mm above the turf is too much.

wizard_of_oz
8th September 2014, 04:34 PM
Stick the tee all the way into the ground for all your iron shots on Par 3's. The ball will be only a couple of mm (not cm!) higher than the ground level and that will help hit the sweet spot. In terms of ball position, it's just your standard ball position for your irons on a fairway. Short irons=middle of stance, middle irons=slightly forward, long irons=a ball forward.

Johnny Canuck
8th September 2014, 06:32 PM
The tee is there to give the perfect lie for an iron. Make sure you are still hitting down on the ball, even though you have it on a tee.

talbo
8th September 2014, 08:34 PM
You are most likely a flipper based on this description. I am too and will be fighting that for the rest of my life. Consider seeking professional help.

My solution to a similar problem was to not tee the ball 'up' at all. Just make yourself a perfect lie. More than a couple of mm above the turf is too much.

I am sorting out an issue with hitting short irons very high and naturally most assumed I was a flipper, turns out the cause for me at least is keeping weight on the right side instead of towards the target.