PDA

View Full Version : The lie to end all lies

yoyo
3rd September 2014, 05:03 PM
During a recent round i launched a cracking drive down a downhill-dropoff fairway with a blind landing area.
I figured i was going to be in awesome shape for an easy pitch approach.
The only thing was......the ball was nowhere to be found. Playing partner and i searched ever blade of grass but to no avail, until....... We had a look around some sodden turf areas on the fairway that were NOT marked GUR.... :-(

Found it !

http://i58.tinypic.com/119p2ky.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/35klxr6.jpg

"Value for shots" was not the thought going through my mind.........

oldracer
3rd September 2014, 05:05 PM
that sux

Dotty
3rd September 2014, 05:14 PM
I assume you played a clean ball off a good lie on the fairway, after taking a drop without penalty.

You don't need GUR markings, if the ball is embedded in its own pitch mark on the closely mown portion.
(I remember that, as it is the only rule of golf that differentiates fairway from rough.)

Rule 25-2.

jimandr
3rd September 2014, 05:16 PM
I thought when I saw the thread title that this was going to be a political whinge thread.

But, having seen the second photo, what do you expect when you play a course with a vertical slope. Even the trees are growing at right angles.

I hope you played it as it lies. If I was your marker I'd argue that it isn't embedded, and isn't in an animal scrape. It could be in a particularly unusually shaped divot, making you a victim of the most unfair rule in golf.

oldracer
3rd September 2014, 05:31 PM
I want to know how you got the ball up that high with a driver that it embedded itself like that, moonshot!!!!!

yoyo
3rd September 2014, 06:07 PM
It was a standard drive but the landing area is in a gully well below the tee, so it drops down from a decent height relative to that.

Hatchman
3rd September 2014, 06:09 PM
I assume you played a clean ball off a good lie on the fairway, after taking a drop without penalty.

You don't need GUR markings, if the ball is embedded in its own pitch mark on the closely mown portion.
(I remember that, as it is the only rule of golf that differentiates fairway from rough.)

Rule 25-2.

Pic looks like fairway is on the left and that ball is in the first cut of rough which would = stiff doodoo.

yoyo
3rd September 2014, 06:12 PM
After the laughter died down i asked myself - WWPD? What Would Phil Do? So with that in mind, i reached into my strides, got a full count and then reached for the closest thing i had to a shovel, a 60deg lob.Managed to get it out first go and back onto the fairway about 15m up.I was half expecting oil to come spurting out a-la Beverley Hillbillies......http://i60.tinypic.com/zn7z2p.jpg

yoyo
3rd September 2014, 06:14 PM
Pic looks like fairway is on the left and that ball is in the first cut of rough which would = stiff doodoo. It was on (in?) the fairway, just a clump of shitty grass you can see there that makes it look like its in the first cut

3Puttpete
3rd September 2014, 06:18 PM
I thought when I saw the thread title that this was going to be a political whinge thread.

But, having seen the second photo, what do you expect when you play a course with a vertical slope. Even the trees are growing at right angles.

I hope you played it as it lies. If I was your marker I'd argue that it isn't embedded, and isn't in an animal scrape. It could be in a particularly unusually shaped divot, making you a victim of the most unfair rule in golf.

How is that not embedded?

markTHEblake
3rd September 2014, 06:55 PM
We had a look around some sodden turf areas on the fairway that were NOT marked GUR.... :-(
Worst looking fairway I have ever seen.

yoyo
3rd September 2014, 07:27 PM
Public course.

aussieashley
3rd September 2014, 07:32 PM

Rule 25-2.

This. You should have taken a free drop.

yoyo
3rd September 2014, 08:00 PM
I played it. No sheep stations were lost.

goonie
4th September 2014, 04:42 PM
I think that's worthy of a drop free or not, no point hurting yourself for no guaranteed gain.

yoyo
4th September 2014, 04:46 PM
Sorry gents i only just looked at this post on a PC for the 1st time and see the pics are rotated, when i look at it on a mobile device theyre the right way up.....that's odd.... :-/

Had to give the lobby a solid cleaning today !

Ducky
4th September 2014, 05:05 PM
I lost a ball like that one day. It was rather annoying considering I was putting a decent round together. I later found it embedded about 1" into the ground after I'd declared the ball lost and hit another off the tee. Doh!

Dotty
4th September 2014, 06:12 PM
I lost a ball like that one day. It was rather annoying considering I was putting a decent round together. I later found it embedded about 1" into the ground after I declared the ball lost and hit another off the tee. Doh!
FTFY.

No such thing as declaring your ball lost. Hitting another from the tee will deem the first ball to be lost (as will not finding it within 5 mins of starting to look for it, playing the provisional from closer to the hole, etc.)

A little pedantic, but it can work in your favour. eg. If a partner finds your original, before you put the replacement ball in play, then you can play the original without penalty (even though you 'declared the ball lost').

Hatchman
4th September 2014, 07:19 PM
FTFY.

No such thing as declaring your ball lost. Hitting another from the tee will deem the first ball to be lost (as will not finding it within 5 mins of starting to look for it, playing the provisional from closer to the hole, etc.)

A little pedantic, but it can work in your favour. eg. If a partner finds your original, before you put the replacement ball in play, then you can play the original without penalty (even though you 'declared the ball lost').

I thought it was as soon as you start the walk back to play another it was deemed lost?
Once on the trek back to play another if found, I thought it was bad luck?

It's bad luck if 5mins has elapsed. Who runs a stop watch on these things to argue 5mins?

Waddzy
4th September 2014, 07:22 PM
Worst looking fairway I have ever seen.I thought you had played gccc before?

Daves
4th September 2014, 07:30 PM
I thought it was as soon as you start the walk back to play another it was deemed lost?
Once on the trek back to play another if found, I thought it was bad luck?

It's bad luck if 5mins has elapsed. Who runs a stop watch on these things to argue 5mins?

Nope, 5 minutes is the trigger. As Dotty said, you can't actually declare your ball lost. Putting another ball into play (and not declaring it a provisional, if applicable) is the only other trigger I can think of.

aussieashley
4th September 2014, 07:35 PM
Worst looking fairway I have ever seen.

I thought you had played gccc before?

Haha, we do get a preferred lie though Waddzy :lol:

Waddzy
4th September 2014, 08:43 PM
Haha, we do get a preferred lie though Waddzy :lol: card length doesn't help too much in the centre of a 2m sq dirt patch ;)

LarryLong
4th September 2014, 11:03 PM
Nice job getting it out of there!

highballin
5th September 2014, 07:02 AM
FTFY.

Yes but there is no requirement to look for your ball. You can play another straight away if you like and accept the penalty.
Correct me if I am wrong here but that is my understanding of the rule.

Dotty
5th September 2014, 07:27 AM
Yes but there is no requirement to look for your ball. You can play another straight away if you like and accept the penalty.
Correct me if I am wrong here but that is my understanding of the rule.
Correct, as that is one of the conditions that deems the ball to be lost.

'Declaring a ball lost' is not one of the conditions.

AndyP
7th September 2014, 11:46 AM
I'm thankful that this one wasn't plugged.

3 balls in the one spot.
Made birdie.

yoyo
7th September 2014, 01:25 PM
Phil would play it

AndyP
7th September 2014, 02:26 PM
I think there was some ball bag sweat left on my ball. It's the sort of thing that almost puts you off lick cleaning your ball. Almost.

MAZA68
7th September 2014, 02:36 PM
Played a course in NZ - Greymouth, where you could loose a ball in the middle of a fairway. Ball would sucker into the ground, never to be seen again.:shock:

Coldtopper
7th September 2014, 02:36 PM
I think there was some ball bag sweat left on my ball. It's the sort of thing that almost puts you off lick cleaning your ball. Almost. Yummy 8-)

armitage
8th September 2014, 03:03 PM
lol... sucks but that's golf.

ZENNON
8th September 2014, 03:27 PM
what do you expect when you play a course with a vertical slope. Even the trees are growing at right angles
Super spikey foot wear is a course requirement

LeftyHoges
8th September 2014, 05:20 PM
Christ almighty, you guys have clearly never played golf in VIC in winter. That is a good lie in the middle of August.

wstarks
9th September 2014, 02:34 PM
You get relief from imbedded ball in fairway

Charger
9th September 2014, 07:39 PM
The high drop off tee shots into sloppy stuff can be tricky. I've back spun a drive in that situation once. Thats better than being in a hole like yours. (I was thinking i would have played it too. I am aware of the plugged ball rule, but thats only ever happened to me beside a green. My dopey playing partners wouldnt have known the rule, and they would have made me play it just for laughs even if they did...)