PDA

View Full Version : Best irons for 10 handicap

GolfTourettes
29th August 2014, 08:31 PM
So I've been playing for about 7 months and lost quite a few strokes. Now that I know my swing and game better I feel as though my starter clubs (cg16) just aren't giving me what I now want. I'm really looking to buy a set that's 'hopefully' going to push me right down to low numbers. I've been searching for a few weeks now but am just putting a question out to you all.

If this sounds like this was you at some point in your career looking to challenge yourself and attack that next stage, id like to hear your insight or any reviews/feedback about the weapons you chose.

Cheers.

meh
29th August 2014, 08:33 PM
Get some callaway apex. There are some for sale on here ;)

mrbluu
29th August 2014, 08:38 PM
Get some callaway apex. There are some for sale on here ;)

They are actually quite good for low to mid markers. Them and AP2's, i20/i5 and whatever else that suits your eyes.

simmsy
29th August 2014, 09:04 PM
I bought mp63 when on 12.
Now on 7.6 and have moved to mp64.
They are plenty forgiving enough and very accurate.

Captain Nemo
29th August 2014, 09:07 PM
I bought mp63 when on 12.
Now on 7.6 and have moved to mp64.
They are plenty forgiving enough and very accurate.
But your a flusher old man!
;)

Dotty
29th August 2014, 09:10 PM
I was just reading an article on this, and it gave TM Speedblade and Call. Apex the gold, Nike VRS Covert Tour Forged the silver and Cobra BioCell the bronze. (Titleist UK didn't provide clubs for the comparison.)

Cobra BioCell work for me, mainly because of the 85g steel shaft and I need help launching the ball up.

Don't fall into the trap of getting 'player irons', thinking that you'll 'grow into them'. At a 10 handicap, the lack of forgiveness will ultimately hurt the bottom line of your scorecard and you'll probably go backwards.

ps. Plus have a look at whatever irons wbennett now has - Mizuno H4?

AndyP
29th August 2014, 09:13 PM
Are you meant to change clubs as your handicap gets lower?

MAZA68
29th August 2014, 09:17 PM
Have a look at the 588 TT from Cleveland

coalesce
29th August 2014, 09:20 PM
I thought it was whenever your handicap gets worse you should get new clubs ;)

3Puttpete
29th August 2014, 09:23 PM
I thought it was whenever your handicap gets worse you should get new clubs ;)

Or better

Coldtopper
29th August 2014, 09:25 PM
All clubs will perform the same on your handicap. Get a shaft you like with weights (dead and sw) you can hit. Save your coin for Drivers, wedges and putters!

Wools
29th August 2014, 09:46 PM
If you have not already, spend your money on lessons as these are likely to provide more bang for you buck than new clubs.

Or is a comment like this considered heresy on this site?

If so I really like the 714 AP2s, Bridgestone J40 dpcs and Taylormade SLDR irons :-)

oncewasagolfer
30th August 2014, 10:29 AM
I know a scratch marker who uses the same irons as you have now so its a case of horses for courses. What is the problem with the cg16's or are you just after more bling?:)

jimandr
30th August 2014, 05:22 PM
There is nothing wrong with cg16's.

As others have said (and it is quite uncommon that Ozgolfers reach consensus), there isn't a great deal to gain by changing irons once you reach a certain level of competence. If you like the look, keep them.

The main reasons why you would do it is to achieve a different ball flight, or if you are really really good, to have a better chance to hit draws and fades at will. Even then, if you check out the whats in the bags, many tour pros wield run of the mill irons.

Irons that are perfectly fitted are much more important than the alleged quality.

Dropping strokes from a 10 handicap is more likely through an improved short game and better ball striking. Most of us can't provide any useful advice for that. If we could, we would have lower handicaps.

I say this as a person whose handicap dropped from 11 to 5 after getting some Brosnan Silver Bullets, which were my first set of fitted irons. Of course, a bit later on my handicap blew from 5 to 11 without changing clubs at all. So I don't think the clubs matter that much, it is how well you hit them.

FuzzyJuzzy
30th August 2014, 05:26 PM

As others have said (and it is quite uncommon that Ozgolfers reach consensus), there isn't a great deal to gain by changing irons once you reach a certain level of competence. If you like the look, keep them.

The main reasons why you would do it is to achieve a different ball flight, or if you are really really good, to have a better chance to hit draws and fades at will. Even then, if you check out the whats in the bags, many tour pros wield run of the mill irons.

Irons that are perfectly fitted are much more important than the alleged quality.

Dropping strokes from a 10 handicap is more likely through an improved short game and better ball striking. Most of us can't provide any useful advice for that. If we could, we would have lower handicaps.

I say this as a person whose handicap dropped from 11 to 5 after getting some Brosnan Silver Bullets, which were my first set of fitted irons. Of course, a bit later on my handicap blew from 5 to 11 without changing clubs at all. So I don't think the clubs matter that much, it is how well you hit them.

Well said mate.

GolfTourettes
30th August 2014, 06:46 PM

Yeah well said mate thanks for the insight.

GolfTourettes
30th August 2014, 10:33 PM
Iron fitting is in order, then I'll go from there. If the stats don't greatly out way my current set I'll stick with them