PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Selection Help For New Wedges

Hatchman
29th August 2014, 03:03 AM
With the pending sale of the Ping irons I'll have the funds needed to pull the pin on the New JDM Romaro Ray Alcobaca Wedges.
Shaft selection has me a bit stumped. I play good old DG S300 in my current old Cleveland Tour Action 900's and 712 AP2's.

The following shaft options are available in the selections:
DG S200
DG X100
NS Pro 850R
NS Pro 850S
NS Pro 950R
NS Pro 950S
Modus3 120 Tour S
I have no idea what is what with the Nippon Shafts. What is closest to the DG S300?

D22marshall
29th August 2014, 05:49 AM
Modus 120x I have 3 if you want?

Daves
29th August 2014, 06:43 AM
DGS200 is often the "standard" Wedge shaft in an OEM range. An S200 is just a slightly lighter S300 (2 to 3 grams), you would struggle to pick the difference.

backintheswing
29th August 2014, 07:36 AM
Shimada HW120. Seriously the best jap shaft for your jdm wedges.

chappy1970
29th August 2014, 08:33 AM
In loving the DG Spinner in my Fourteen wedges

mrbluu
29th August 2014, 08:36 AM
In loving the DG Spinner in my Fourteen wedges

+1 for DG spinners.

talbo
29th August 2014, 09:17 AM
http://www.nipponshaft.co.jp/english/steel/wv.htm

I'm likely to try these in my vokeys soon. Read good things about them but haven't tried them yet. I'm pretty sure there was someone on here that had them in their wedges also.

simmsy
29th August 2014, 09:53 AM
Nippon modus3 go great in wedges. Also their WV spec is awesome

benno_r
29th August 2014, 10:14 AM
I have wedges with DG Spinners, Nippon WV, and Shimada HW120.

Shimada all the way, about 6 lengths from the Nippon, with Spinners slow and lame down the back.

backintheswing
29th August 2014, 10:51 AM
I have wedges with DG Spinners, Nippon WV, and Shimada HW120.

Shimada all the way, about 6 lengths from the Nippon, with Spinners slow and lame down the back.

I gave you a good tip on the shimada's hey? I just called Keith and ordered a 4 iron shaft for my amp cell pro's and another 2 wedge shafts.

freddy a
29th August 2014, 10:51 AM
Use a x100 8iron shaft in your lob wedge for extra zip! Aka tiger stepping.

benno_r
29th August 2014, 11:15 AM
I gave you a good tip on the shimada's hey? I just called Keith and ordered a 4 iron shaft for my amp cell pro's and another 2 wedge shafts.

Have them in a set of Nike toe sweeps - a magic combination.

If I wasn't onto a graphite phase for irons, I'd probably get on board their iron shafts too!

Hatchman
29th August 2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the help guys.
I don't have the game for Xflex stuff.
For those that have recommended the DG Spinners and Shimada's how would you best describe the difference between those shafts and the DG S300?
I've made enquiries if it's possible to by the Wedges I want in head only.

Hatchman
30th August 2014, 09:29 PM
Custom build with Shimada HW120 has been offered from TSG.
After my Clevelands basically gave me the bird today missing 5 out of 6 greens from 100-60m the order is being placed this weekend.

Forecaddie
6th September 2014, 09:09 PM
Nippon WV 125 penetrates better than DG300S. I've also had the Modus 3 120TX shaft, but it has a stiff tip. I'm going to install Modus 3 130S this week and I'll report back.

rqrox
7th September 2014, 07:41 AM
I play Modus 130's in my Yururi's and love them. Nice soft tip, spin like all hell…..and they're just cool!

Forecaddie
9th September 2014, 10:36 PM
What flex rqrox in your 130's? How do they compare with DG X100s or S300 if you've used these shafts?

Hatchman
10th September 2014, 11:36 PM
RomaRo's with Shimada HW120's arrived this week.

benno_r
4th October 2014, 08:39 AM
RomaRo's with Shimada HW120's arrived this week.

Any update on the performance of the Alcobabca's?

Particularly, how well the grind allows you to open the face.

Hatchman
4th October 2014, 10:41 AM
Any update on the performance of the Alcobabca's?

Particularly, how well the grind allows you to open the face.

Only played 4 rounds with them so far but early reports are they are bloody awesome. Ball seems to come off a bit hotter than my old Cleveland DG S300 combo. I say hotter because with 2 degree more loft with the same swing for distance I've hit it long a few times. Best term I can use to describe feel would be very smooth compared to what I'm used to.

As for the grind in being able to open up the face. I've got on to a real winner here. The game has always been a bit scratchy playing the ope face flop shots. These wedges have made that so much easier. Gave the 56 a good work out with this shot at Grange a few days ago. Late last year at the same course with my Cleveland's I shanked this shot 4 times. With the Alcobaca I put all 3 attempts to 3-4 foot and sadly missed all the putts to waste the great shots. The Alcobaca has made it so much easier to play the shot, giving more confidence to play the shot more often.

Found the delicate splash out of bunkers was easier to play also with the open face too. Consistency of distance for swing/feel (if that makes sense) and accuracy seems to be a big improvement at this stage also. I'm so wrapped with the RomaRo wedges that I'm starting to eye of some RomaRo irons to replace the AP712's that I love. This could get very expensive.

benno_r
4th October 2014, 10:47 AM
Only played 4 rounds with them so far but early reports are they are bloody awesome. Ball seems to come off a bit hotter than my old Cleveland DG S300 combo. I say hotter because with 2 degree more loft with the same swing for distance I've hit it long a few times. Best term I can use to describe feel would be very smooth compared to what I'm used to.

As for the grind in being able to open up the face. I've got on to a real winner here. The game has always been a bit scratchy playing the ope face flop shots. These wedges have made that so much easier. Gave the 56 a good work out with this shot at Grange a few days ago. Late last year at the same course with my Cleveland's I shanked this shot 4 times. With the Alcobaca I put all 3 attempts to 3-4 foot and sadly missed all the putts to waste the great shots. The Alcobaca has made it so much easier to play the shot, giving more confidence to play the shot more often.

Found the delicate splash out of bunkers was easier to play also with the open face too. Consistency of distance for swing/feel (if that makes sense) and accuracy seems to be a big improvement at this stage also. I'm so wrapped with the RomaRo wedges that I'm starting to eye of some RomaRo irons to replace the AP712's that I love. This could get very expensive.

great! More expensive for me too by the sounds of it. What about the finish on these? Is it a plated PVD style finish, or do they rust easily?

Thanks for the review!