PDA

View Full Version : Shortening Swing

p4m
28th August 2014, 09:55 AM
Hi Guys

With my coach we have worked on shortening my swing (irons so far anyway) i never use to get to parallel, but once hands go above shoulder height i would lift.

Now hands feel like they are thigh height (really just under shoulder height)
Results are really good so far. However it feels so strange - almost like your only moving hands a tiny bit like a chip.

Feels almost too easy!.

Anyone else worked on shorting the swing and felt similar? Does it become "normal" soon.

(we haven't touched woods yet)

SirTop
28th August 2014, 10:03 AM
I just started doing the same.

Only realised how far back I was taking it when I recorded my swing.

Gives you a lot more control it seems, but yes it feels weird

Hoping it stops me standing up and down through the swing which currently results in fat and thin shots

Archi
28th August 2014, 10:24 AM
I have always had a really short swing ( mainly through Shoulder and back problems ) but can still belt it further than the average bloke.
but
Being to quick on the back swing is my downfall , especially when playing well and I start thinking i am better than what i actually am

3oneday
28th August 2014, 11:25 AM
I did this for a while, shot one over with it too. Hit some great shots and the control was good, distance acceptable for sure.

Then I got tennis elbow, and I could only put it down to the shortened swing and probably a flowon more aggressive action at the ball, assumingly because of the shorter swing.

p4m
29th August 2014, 10:41 AM
Also wondering if anyone found they "shanked" more often doing this sort of swing. Went to the range last night and it was shanktaculous. Unsure why ~

3oneday
29th August 2014, 10:48 AM
Are you trying to hit it harder because of the shorter swing? Potentially also more from the inside maybe?

Johnny Canuck
29th August 2014, 11:18 AM
I have been working on this for the past 4 or 5 months.

It is much easier with the irons than the woods.

With the woods, you feel like you are physically stopping the club on the takeaway a lot of the time, which absolutely throws off your timing.

Hit a ball at 30% power and then one at full power as a drill to get used to the feeling.

Matt 3 Jab
5th September 2014, 07:31 PM
This is my new plan. Feels like I'm hitting 3/4 punch shots the whole time.

I used to do it but developed the shanks. This time I am more aware of how I swing it

Driver feels weird, but I feel that it's more arms than anything (when it's not)

Control in my game is lacking so can't hurt. One extra club isn't a big issue into most greens if hitting it well (and high like I do )

jocker
6th September 2014, 10:09 AM
Achieving a shortened swing with the guy i get lessons from transformed my game. we did not work on shortening the swing as such. It was more about making sure i kept balance and width in the takeaway and that shortened the swing into something much more compact and repeatable.

idgolfguy
6th September 2014, 01:29 PM
Play my best with a shortened swing. However, greed for the perception of more distance and swing gets longer. Difficult to manage.

Matt 3 Jab
6th September 2014, 01:30 PM
I pull hooked most of my shots today. Timing was all out but striking it well.

Tough to stay with it when I feel I didn't hit it any better but time will tell

benno_r
6th September 2014, 01:35 PM
I pull hooked most of my shots today. Timing was all out but striking it well.

Tough to stay with it when I feel I didn't hit it any better but time will tell

A friend is battling a similar problem - he is working with his coach to shorten his swing. Problem he is having is executing a full shoulder turn, without the club going all the way back like he used to. Because he isn't completing a full shoulder turn he hits through the ball with his shoulders open, hitting pulls and pull hooks.

Might be something worth considering.

Matt 3 Jab
6th September 2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks benno. It's a hard thing to turn fully and swing short

virge666
6th September 2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks benno. It's a hard thing to turn fully and swing short
It is a shorter swing.

Your not meant to turn fully.

If you want to shorten your swing... Just restrict the hips on the back swing.. Stretch out those lats.... Bring the club head to hip height and fire the hips through impact.

Watch Sergio... He is the master of it.

IanO
6th September 2014, 06:52 PM
I really need to do this with the driver! Looking for a drill to help

benno_r
6th September 2014, 07:01 PM
To clarify, when he makes it short and all arms with limited shoulder turn, he hits pulls. When he gets the right amount of turn he hits straight.

I have a natural short swing. When I get lazy and go all arms I hit pulls too.

I'll defer to Virge though, cause I am a hard chopper!

virge666
6th September 2014, 10:37 PM
It doesn't matter how much shoulder turn you have... It is the sequence of the down swing. Otherwise pitching would be impossible.

Golf is about sequence. It is what they call rhythm...

Get the sequence of the down swing right and the ball goes straight...

The sequence is.

Brace the left.. Drop hands into slot and then fire the hips to release the golf club...

Note to choppers... Firing the hips is NOT driving the legs! It is the quick unwinding of the hips usually upward.

Charger
9th September 2014, 06:42 PM
I had a lesson a while back and the pro told me to lengthen my swing. Go figure.

It was more than that to be truthfull. Better takeaway and higher hands.

adamsgolfer
10th September 2014, 11:03 AM
It doesn't matter how much shoulder turn you have... It is the sequence of the down swing. Otherwise pitching would be impossible.

Golf is about sequence. It is what they call rhythm...

Get the sequence of the down swing right and the ball goes straight...

The sequence is.

Brace the left.. Drop hands into slot and then fire the hips to release the golf club...

Note to choppers... Firing the hips is NOT driving the legs! It is the quick unwinding of the hips usually upward.

Virge I want to thank you so much for this post. You're point about firing the hips is the hips unwinding upwards and not driving the legs has helped me a lot. I have been working on a lot of different feels in the transition/downswing area, mostly tips from golfwrx and Monte Scheinblum, but the way you listed the sequencing of the swing is what has helped me the most.

virge666
10th September 2014, 07:16 PM
Virge I want to thank you so much for this post. You're point about firing the hips is the hips unwinding upwards and not driving the legs has helped me a lot. I have been working on a lot of different feels in the transition/downswing area, mostly tips from golfwrx and Monte Scheinblum, but the way you listed the sequencing of the swing is what has helped me the most.
Top news... Hope it continues to work for you.

p4m
11th September 2014, 06:22 PM
Found for me once I got the swing shortened arms were trailing well behind body.

Current thought is fast arms.

Amazing at how well swing is coming along..yet still want to get tendencies to want to make a hugr backswing

Hux
11th September 2014, 06:50 PM
To clarify, when he makes it short and all arms with limited shoulder turn, he hits pulls. When he gets the right amount of turn he hits straight.

I have a natural short swing. When I get lazy and go all arms I hit pulls too.

I'll defer to Virge though, cause I am a hard chopper!

Your mate and I may be twins.
My problem is generally with the driver. However, if I set my hips slightly closed (actually only the perception) after addressing the ball I reduce the likelihood of the pull hook significantly.

My problem is that the issue does not exist on the range only on course.
Ask Gaz - its hard to see where what is essentially neutral can go so wrong.

Tank33
17th September 2014, 07:04 AM

How can I get to drop hands without trying to swing forward? It is very easy to understand but hard to achieve in real swing.
It would be great if someone who can do it explains it with more details (what you are feeling and trying to do).
I would think, for those who can do it properly, it's a very natural thing to do but for me it is nearly impossible to stop swinging hard from the top.
Thanks for your help.