PDA

View Full Version : Improving putting

Wardy101
28th August 2014, 09:34 AM
After starting to play golf more often over the last six months and worrying about hitting decent tee shots and fairways, it is my putting (and short game) that really needs the work.

Yesterday 3 putts were in the majority and it was a combination of poor chipping around the greens and not putting well at all.

Any tips for drills I should be doing to work on this?

Thanks

3oneday
28th August 2014, 09:42 AM
New putter.

Dotty
28th August 2014, 09:43 AM
Phil Mickelson's Short Game DVDs.

It covers both putting and wedge game.

p4m
28th August 2014, 09:49 AM
New putter. good idea.

if u struggle for speed control this has helped me immensely (could also just be the putting practice) http://www.boomerangputting.com/

Monsta
28th August 2014, 09:55 AM
Putt it closer to the hole :mrgreen:

Dotty
28th August 2014, 09:58 AM
Putt it closer to the hole :mrgreen:
What would you know about that?

Monsta
28th August 2014, 10:00 AM
What would you know about that?

Nothing, but it was the advice given to me to stop 3 jabbs

Daves
28th August 2014, 10:12 AM
What is basically wrong with your putting? Distance control?, not hitting it where you aim it? Not being able to read greens? Missing easy short putts?

My #1 tip is to hold the putter like it is a delicate little bird cusped in your hands, if your grip was any lighter the Putter would fall out of your hands.

mrbluu
28th August 2014, 10:18 AM
I use a drill similar to one this one. Major differences, I like the putter to sit flat on the ground (my might have to adjust your hand position and length of putter), and alternate between having the stick on the inside and the outside of the putter.

http://www.golf.com/instruction/jimmy-walker-5-simple-moves-go-low

ZENNON
28th August 2014, 10:39 AM
My #1 tip is to hold the putter like it is a delicate little bird cusped in your hands, if your grip was any lighter the Putter would fall out of your hands.
+1 Pretend the putter is made from glass

3oneday
28th August 2014, 11:21 AM
My #1 tip is to hold the putter like it is a delicate little bird cusped in your hands, if your grip was any lighter the Putter would fall out of your hands.I do this, and then I go the craw when I realise I can't do this :)

mrbluu
28th August 2014, 11:57 AM
+1 Pretend the putter is made from glass

What type of glass?

3Puttpete
28th August 2014, 12:02 PM
My #1 tip is to hold the putter like it is a delicate little bird cusped in your hands,

Or you could grow some testicles and pretend you're holding one of them. No squeezing there.

Coldtopper
28th August 2014, 12:06 PM
Some sensible advice. Get a lesson!
I get my putting stroke looked at a few times and I can putt !

Wardy101
28th August 2014, 12:16 PM
What is basically wrong with your putting? Distance control?, not hitting it where you aim it? Not being able to read greens? Missing easy short putts?

all of the above except the short ones. Seem to be able to put those away. Half the problem is not getting a decent chip onto the green to get within striking distance of the hole.

Icestorm959
28th August 2014, 12:22 PM
Didn't a wise man say you should be able to two putt from anywhere on the green? The chipping is not the problem. :)

3Puttpete
28th August 2014, 12:48 PM
Didn't a wise man say you should be able to two putt from anywhere on the green?

Not a wise man. That bloke was an idiot.

Wardy101
28th August 2014, 12:50 PM
Didn't a wise man say you should be able to two putt from anywhere on the green? The chipping is not the problem. :)

you would think so and if I could that would save me a lot of shots each round

Dotty
28th August 2014, 01:30 PM
all of the above except the short ones. Seem to be able to put those away. Half the problem is not getting a decent chip onto the green to get within striking distance of the hole.
Refer to post #3.

That's the whole foundation of Phil's DVD.

wizard_of_oz
28th August 2014, 02:10 PM
How much time do you spend practicing putting a week? You reap what you sow.

Wardy101
28th August 2014, 03:59 PM
Refer to post #3.

That's the whole foundation of Phil's DVD.

I shall try to track down a copy

noren
28th August 2014, 07:17 PM
Get someone to check your alignment whether your feet AND shoulder are parallel to the hole.

Lagerlover
28th August 2014, 08:26 PM
What type of glass? He said grass..

dee cee
28th August 2014, 10:07 PM
If its hard to get out to practice I like to putt over a 5 cent coin thats at 3 foot or so. Short stroke, medium and long. Your hands soon learn where to be at impact to ensure the ball is going where you want it too. Get real good and choose left side, right side and middle.

For chipping, chip on carpet to a magazine at different distances, usually within 3-10 foot. Use different clubs and try different balls. You'll be surprised how different a ball can react from brand to brand. Again, get good and you'll say, back of mag or front of mag.

Then take it to the range, putting green and of course... the course.

Wardy101
29th August 2014, 12:30 AM
Thanks all. Great advice all around. Think for now, rather than going to range and hitting a bucket of balls I will focus on the short game stuff

Daves
29th August 2014, 05:55 AM
imo work on your putting first. See your Pro and get a half hour lesson, they will identify your issues pretty quickly. Amazing how much harder chipping/pitching becomes if you don't trust your putting stroke to get the ball in the hole in 2 or less.

matty
29th August 2014, 06:10 AM
If you're serious about it get a putter fitting, then adjust your putter to suit or buy a custom made to those specs.

Otherwise, you might be doing the hard yards with the wrong equipment that you'll replace over and over (I had 15 putters at one stage) or grooving mistakes to compensate for an ill suited putter.

gameboy
29th August 2014, 01:05 PM
He said grass..

ok, i raughed out roud

mrbluu
29th August 2014, 03:29 PM
He said grass..

ok, i raughed out roud

You plicks are conflusing me....

ZENNON
1st September 2014, 01:28 PM
What type of glass?
gleen glass

Matt1979
1st September 2014, 04:19 PM
Sounds like we are probably in the same boat here. I have recently got back into golf & h'cap starting to come down again.

Couple of things I found pretty helpfull with my putting;

A good starting point is to get a lesson & advise on a decent putter that will fit your stroke. One of the key things I focus on now is distance control, as I am not that good at reading the greens ( hoping this will come with more playing). My aim for long putts started to be with a 3ft radius of the hole, over time this is reducing.

To help this - when I practise - I tend to spend most of my time on shorter putts ( < 4ft ) and long putting. If I can't get to the practise area I putt at home on the carpet and set up different targets to stop the ball in ( ie I have some 1ft / 2ft circles to stop the ball in &/or on my direction and alignement. )

I play most of my golf where I have joined, so have also played with a couple of better players at the club socially, while doing this I have been getting lots of tips / advise on putting & how to approach certain holes - this has been a bit help, certainly areas to avoid on the greens and so on.

The results have been pleasing so far -- over the past couple of weeks, have had several 1 putts ( certainly confidence helps here and being more comfortable getting the ball upto the hole). Still have some 3/4 putts where I just loose it on the greens, but these are becoming much less frequent.

wstarks
9th September 2014, 01:38 PM
Get a lesson and hit heaps of short putts, get confidence up by seeing the ball go in.. Start at 2 foot, slowly move out to 3, 4, 5 ft etc

3Puttpete
9th September 2014, 01:43 PM
Get a lesson and hit heaps of short putts, get confidence up by seeing the ball go in.. Start at 2 foot, slowly move out to 3, 4, 5 ft etc

Got some stuff to sell mate?

wstarks
9th September 2014, 10:30 PM
Got some stuff to sell mate? Sure do, you after a new putter? :)

AndyP
10th September 2014, 07:07 AM
Sure do, you after a new putter? :)
3pp is suggesting that your post boosting to reach the 40 post limit is not very subtle. I suggest starting a welcome thread or a what's in the bag thread.

Mika_the_golfer
13th September 2014, 06:14 AM
I do a drill from the Mickelson dvd. Before a round I place 8 balls around the cup a club length from the hole in a circle. This helps me read the break and the speed of the greens. Once you get all 8 in, you move the 8 to 2 Club lengths out

matty
13th September 2014, 07:22 AM
Do you still play your round if you don't get all eight in?

Icestorm959
13th September 2014, 08:04 AM
Yeah if I did that drill I'd be there on the practice green all day!

Dotty
13th September 2014, 08:06 AM
Last weekend, Rory did that drill a couple of times out on the course.

Wardy101
13th September 2014, 01:41 PM
As would I. Been practicing a bit and might go out to play 9 on my own this afternoon and keep count of my putts

jimandr
13th March 2015, 09:49 AM
I do a drill from the Mickelson dvd. Before a round I place 8 balls around the cup a club length from the hole in a circle. This helps me read the break and the speed of the greens. Once you get all 8 in, you move the 8 to 2 Club lengths out

Sometimes I go to the course and practice my golf purely because I wish to waste some time and I have nothing better to do. I have a sore arm at the moment and I am resting it, so yesterday I did some putting.

I tried the 8 ball drill. From 2 feet I was fine. From 4 feet I was fine until I missed one. From that point I got progressively worse and got more frustrated. After about 45 minutes I gave up.

Essentially, my concentration was shot.

So, my question for the putting practicers is, when you start feeling that your concentration and or confidence is going, do you keep going, or do you stop and do something else?

mrbluu
13th March 2015, 09:53 AM
Sometimes I go to the course and practice my golf purely because I wish to waste some time and I have nothing better to do. I have a sore arm at the moment and I am resting it, so yesterday I did some putting.

I tried the 8 ball drill. From 2 feet I was fine. From 4 feet I was fine until I missed one. From that point I got progressively worse and got more frustrated. After about 45 minutes I gave up.

So, my question for the putting practicers is, when you start feeling that your concentration and or confidence is going, do you keep going, or do you stop and do something else?

When I'm practising I generally would use an alignment aid. I would do most of my putting on a dead flat part of the green to know what I'm doing with my stroke and to build confidence.

Anytime u lose confidence or concentration I would take a break and then go back to putting straight 4 footers. If u can't make a straight 4 footer, more than likely your alignment is out.

Hatchman
13th March 2015, 10:40 AM

Short answer is yes walk away and do something else. Practice without purpose is wasted practice and can be harmful.

I think too many go straight for the holing the 3-4 footers drills or practice as these are the ones we all expect and want to hole every time.
My MHO is people would be better off working on there distance control and alignment of squaring up to the intended line.

Get 3 balls and space them out on roughly the same line 3-4 foot apart with the shortest putt being at least 15 foot away. Stroke each one trying to hole it and develop the feel for length. The focus during this time is all about the stroke you need for each putt not the holing of the putt.

As for checking alignment square to the line, you'll need a mate to help (can be misleading so not best option) or some training aids.

Get control of your speed and square to the line and those short ones tend to happen automatically if your not bad a reading greens.

Biggest thing I think with any putting practice is to not be holing it focused and focus on technical aspects of your stroke/technique instead.

Scifisicko
13th March 2015, 11:06 AM
Putter fitting and lesson....if not this get a putting mirror, what this will do is make sure you get your dominant eye directly over the ball (so you have a chance of aiming correctly) and help you develop a decent stroke. Another trick is to tuck a ball under your left arm pit and when you are ready to putt, without changing posture, grab the ball, hold it directly under your dominant eye and drop it. It should land right on top of the ball. If it doesnt change your set up till it does.

razaar
13th March 2015, 11:21 AM
Putter fitting and lesson....if not this get a putting mirror, what this will do is make sure you get your dominant eye directly over the ball (so you have a chance of aiming correctly) and help you develop a decent stroke. Another trick is to tuck a ball under your left arm pit and when you are ready to putt, without changing posture, grab the ball, hold it directly under your dominant eye and drop it. It should land right on top of the ball. If it doesnt change your set up till it does.Why would tucking a ball under the left arm pit help in putting? Wouldn't it be encouraging a protracted right shoulder and an outside to in stroke and a potential pull?

Scifisicko
13th March 2015, 11:30 AM
ooops, not expressed very well..Just for set up. Only a drill to help set up with eye over ball. Should read ...without changing posture, grab the ball under your armpit, hold it directly under your dominant eye and drop it...

LoveGolf2012
14th March 2015, 07:51 PM
I've recently started working with Matt Cleverdon at Kingston Heath.Putting,short game to start.Yesterday started with my full swing.Guy is a great coach,so good to learn from.With my putting,I did a Sam Puttlab analysis and it was an eye opener.Just changed to a heavier putter,working very well.Here is a clip of my new improved stroke..https://vimeo.com/122174286

Poults
22nd April 2015, 08:05 PM
If you are thinking of a training aid .Try the planeputt go to www.planeputt.com

Tank33
1st May 2015, 12:30 PM
good idea.

if u struggle for speed control this has helped me immensely (could also just be the putting practice) http://www.boomerangputting.com/

I just bought one! This is so much fun! Thanks for the lead. How many have you done in a row? I have only managed HUGE ONE! in a couple of sessions. I can't wait till I can do 2, 3, 4, 5, 6......

Blackhelmo
2nd May 2015, 11:20 PM
I was suffering yips pretty bad, normally putt RH, swapped to the reverse grip for a while, then putting yips returned. Recently had a go at putting left handed with a LH putter. Tried this for couple of months and the stroke felt a lot stronger than on my RH side. Only issue I had was judging the right line. Our other Trainee suggested go back to RH and use the claw grip. After spending about 45 mins practicing for 4 days a week, have improved massively on the 6-8 inch putts that were causing me grief. First to last week, 31 putts today 36 putts. I don't chip close enough for 1 putt greens so very happy to walk off with a two putt, can only improve ��

Wardy101
2nd May 2015, 11:23 PM
putting seems to be going OK for me now, averaging two putts but generally getting them pretty close if I miss.

My chipping is now what has gone to sh*t

braddles
3rd May 2015, 07:27 PM
My advice is to buy the Aimpoint Express DVD or take a lesson with an Aimpoint instructor. My putting improved significantly, especially from 15-25ft. My record is holing 5 putts in a row during a round from 20ft+. It makes you want to work on your stroke if you know roughly where to aim.

mrbluu
3rd May 2015, 07:32 PM
My advice is to buy the Aimpoint Express DVD or take a lesson with an Aimpoint instructor. My putting improved significantly, especially from 15-25ft. My record is holing 5 putts in a row during a round from 20ft+. It makes you want to work on your stroke if you know roughly where to aim.
Hey braddles do u have a link?

benno_r
3rd May 2015, 07:35 PM

After playing with this flusher, and watch him either sink or miss by an inch on every putt (mostly the first option), I am a believer.

#aimpointexpress4lyf

gotitat last
14th May 2015, 06:16 PM
After starting to play golf more often over the last six months and worrying about hitting decent tee shots and fairways, it is my putting (and short game) that really needs the work.

Yesterday 3 putts were in the majority and it was a combination of poor chipping around the greens and not putting well at all.

Thanks
i am just starting to do general research on putting.at the moment,i am investigating how to red greens with the plumb bob technique.this takes practice,but once mastered ,you can actually 'see' slopes that are not evident with the naked eye and once are good at it,you only have to determine correct speed and you virtually cannot miss even from 30 feet.
that then only leaves correct speed as the "bogey"in the equation.this is something i am working on,but the square stance with left hand in control as per majority of players,seems to be the actual bugbear.i am advocating at this stage a very open stance with the right hand in control,but am not totally certain just yet,regardless of the positive results.

3Puttpete
14th May 2015, 06:29 PM
You're awesome!

gotitat last
15th May 2015, 08:22 AM
You're awesome!
not really.i only happened to stumble on this idea from sheer chance.i was having major problems with my putting as i presume you do as well(3puttpete-nametag),and tried to associate a sport that is similar-the answer was simple -lawn bowls.if you look at the stance and the fact that the right hand is in total control,it then could be presumed,that a putting grip should be left hand"soft",and the stance somewhat open.to what degree,i am not sure just yet,but this a breakthrough.this is conjunction with my plumb bob technique from a multitude of angles,does rather infuriate playing partners though,as they think i have some unfair advantage.,by not adhering to the status quo of just following the herd.

Dotty
15th May 2015, 01:13 PM
not really.i only happened to stumble on this idea from sheer chance.i was having major problems with my putting as i presume you do as well(3puttpete-nametag),and tried to associate a sport that is similar-the answer was simple -lawn bowls.if you look at the stance and the fact that the right hand is in total control,it then could be presumed,that a putting grip should be left hand"soft",and the stance somewhat open.to what degree,i am not sure just yet,but this a breakthrough.this is conjunction with my plumb bob technique from a multitude of angles,does rather infuriate playing partners though,as they think i have some unfair advantage.,by not adhering to the status quo of just following the herd.
This is why the Naplan test results are important.

gotitat last
15th May 2015, 02:41 PM
This is why the Naplan test results are important.
exactly dotto-naplan improved education and it made students "think" more.it was a step in the right direction.i just hope these same people can filter thru to golf.it might turn sheep into goats.

Dotty
15th May 2015, 05:20 PM
exactly dotto-naplan improved education and it made students "think" more.it was a step in the right direction.i just hope these same people can filter thru to golf.it might turn sheep into goats.
Give it go, and see if you can reach double figures ...

http://www.news.com.au/national/naplan-tests-how-would-adults-perform-in-reading-writing-and-numeracy/story-fncynjr2-1227350034105

damoocow
15th May 2015, 05:56 PM

Naplan is a system that is ridiculously flawed and should either be thrown out, or its implementation and remediation get a major rethink.

gotitat last
15th May 2015, 06:11 PM

http://www.news.com.au/national/naplan-tests-how-would-adults-perform-in-reading-writing-and-numeracy/story-fncynjr2-1227350034105
that's the whole point-people like you and me from the older generation would be at a loss with this.that is what i am trying to convey to you with my putting research.you have your head buried deep in sand and will not think outside your little square,but i am at least starting to venture past conventional boundaries.

coalesce
15th May 2015, 06:16 PM
that's the whole point-people like you and me from the older generation would be at a loss with this.that is what i am trying to convey to you with my putting research.you have your head buried deep in sand and will not think outside your little square,but i am at least starting to venture past conventional boundaries.

Conventional boundaries like using spaces and the shift key

Hatchman
15th May 2015, 06:19 PM

Me gotted free outa twentee :D

Steve
15th May 2015, 06:21 PM
Trust is the best way to improve putting. Trust what you see and trust in what you do

coalesce
15th May 2015, 06:25 PM
Trust is the best way to improve putting. Trust what you see and trust in what you do

Good job Kevin Pietersen isn't a golfer

Dotty
15th May 2015, 08:21 PM
Far from being a loss for my generation - 24 out of 24.

Just goes to show that those writing and numeracy fundamentals didn't change with the moon landing.

3Puttpete
15th May 2015, 10:58 PM

Just goes to show that those writing and numeracy fundamentals didn't change with the moon landing.

They would have but there was no moon landing. Proof!

Dotty
16th May 2015, 06:20 AM
They would have but there was no moon landing. Proof!
Before the moon landing, no one had seen a Kardashian. What further proof do you need?

Wardy101
16th May 2015, 09:05 AM
This thread certainly has gone off the rails

3Puttpete
16th May 2015, 09:41 AM
Before the moon landing, no one had seen a Kardashian. What further proof do you need?

I can't argue with that logic.

Steve
16th May 2015, 09:47 AM

I thought the Mar's rover, may have had something to do with this.

gotitat last
16th May 2015, 10:10 AM

my apologies for my rant-you are very lucky to be able to think that way,without coaching. i will take your posts more seriously from now on. you must understand that i am trying to research all aspects of the game at once,and because this method of putting is only in its infancy stage of research,i should not have got carried away with the initial trial results,causing angst and confusion to the other members,especially with the all important upcoming weekend fixtures.
that said,just as an aside,if you were able to place a green on the moon,in your opinion,how would the "behaviour" of the ball differ.
don"t worry,this is not a trick question to confirm the authenticity of your perfect 24.

wazamac
23rd May 2015, 04:47 PM
Wardy, Biggest thing I found to improve putting is "keep your head still!". All putts as far as I can tell are speed related. Don't stand on the practice greens trying to hole every putt. Try and get the ball maybe a foot past the hole and eventually you will see improvement. Keeping your head down and still will also give you a better consistancy on the stroke because your not coming up and out of it.

gotitat last
23rd May 2015, 05:05 PM
Wardy, Biggest thing I found to improve putting is "keep your head still!". All putts as far as I can tell are speed related. Don't stand on the practice greens trying to hole every putt. Try and get the ball maybe a foot past the hole and eventually you will see improvement. Keeping your head down and still will also give you a better consistency on the stroke because your not coming up and out of it.
sorry,totally disagree with that.
the putt is just a mini golf swing. any head movement is natural. if you try and stop it artificially,you are just adding an extra complication,that can cause unnecessary tension,by trying to keep the head still,and focusing on such,will actually create tension.
i suppose you think this way ,because when you watch the pros do a poor putt on TV ,the wombat commentators say "he moved his head".
absolute garbage-the ironical part is that they probably did move their head more than 'normal',because they were trying to hold it still,causing shoulder lockup.

Hatchman
23rd May 2015, 07:21 PM
the putt is just a mini golf swing. any head movement is natural. if you try and stop it artificially,you are just adding an extra complication,that can cause unnecessary tension,by trying to keep the head still,and focusing on such,will actually create tension.
i suppose you think this way ,because when you watch the pros do a poor putt on TV ,the wombat commentators say "he moved his head".
absolute garbage-the ironical part is that they probably did move their head more than 'normal',because they were trying to hold it still,causing shoulder lockup.

Complete rubbish. Proves once again you know SFA.

highballin
23rd May 2015, 08:00 PM

What's the Scottish Football Association got to with this !

mrbluu
23rd May 2015, 08:05 PM
What's the Scottish Football Association got to with this !
I'm not sure but they probably have morr relevance in this thread than gotitatlast...

Coldtopper
24th May 2015, 07:29 AM
one can improve Putting by simply purchasing a decent quality putter.
Here is my current theory spend lots and often and the better you will putt! (at least you won't throw them)

3oneday
24th May 2015, 07:35 AM
Funny, I can't putt because my shoulder locked up. Maybe it shouldn't be called putting anymore, what do you reckon?

I reckon it's pretty dark in that shed.

gotitat last
24th May 2015, 06:44 PM
sounds like the insults are hotting up again, lots of inflated egos .
look,if you think what i said is rubbish,fair enough,but at least have 'the balls' to put your reason for this on the line,so we can all have a good laugh,and i don't mean at your balls.
(mods,this is not an insult as i am only defending myself from their initial insults).

3oneday
24th May 2015, 06:51 PM
Even Jordan Speith keeps his head still putting. Have a look around before you say stuff, your own amazing discoveries are not amazing when they only work for you champ.

backintheswing
24th May 2015, 06:53 PM
sounds like the insults are hotting up again, lots of inflated egos .
look,if you think what i said is rubbish,fair enough,but at least have 'the balls' to put your reason for this on the line,so we can all have a good laugh,and i don't mean at your balls.
(mods,this is not an insult as i am only defending myself from their initial insults).

Are you Zigwah?

Matt 3 Jab
24th May 2015, 07:15 PM
I cant keep my head still when putting, as in i dont try and keep it still and down. I tend to pull putts when i do this and my distance control gets worse than when im not thinking about it.

Been trying to work on the Faxon/Badds idea of see it and hit it. The same when someone asks you to throw them a ball, you dont think of line and pace / distance, you just do it naturally.

Hux
24th May 2015, 09:11 PM
My putting has had a recent dramatic improvement. Keeping my eyes focussed on the ball (does my head move?) and staying down over the ball during the putt with the mental thought of using the putter as an extension of my hand to roll the ball to the hole.

Seems to be working a treat. A couple of 3 jab today but with sub 30 putts for the past 3 rounds that is a major step forward. Of course another part of the game falls off so you don't get a 6 shot improvement in scores but at least I am either saving par or making bogey instead of doubles.

goughy
25th May 2015, 05:44 AM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/HGi6uV8IsNtazwGFRoeTouJ8GfTAmhbBdMLzsMtZOITq7rVljL ZkUtLuXYkX0_toPBnzOV0Ag1MfErM2E1-zltGc=s240

btw, I am the last person who should be saying this. Just a horrible putter I am.

Wardy101
25th May 2015, 09:27 AM
15 putts through 9 holes yesterday which is an improvement. Pity I couldnt hit a green in the first place so a lot of chips were from close

Scifisicko
25th May 2015, 11:27 AM
Practicing under pressure is best. If you feel under pressure/anxiety when it counts there is interesting evidence that you must be under pressure (when you practice) for your practice to carry through to your game.

Not sure if anyone is interested in reading, but this abstract that is food for thought:

Raoˆul R. D. Oudejans and J. Rob PijpersResearch Institute MOVE, Faculty of Human Movement Sciences, VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. In two experiments, we examined whether training with anxiety can prevent choking in expertsperforming perceptual–motor tasks. In Experiment 1, 17 expert basketball players practised freethrows over a 5-week period with or without induced anxiety. Only after training with anxiety didperformance no longer deteriorate during the anxiety posttest. In Experiment 2, 17 expert dartplayers practised dart throwing from a position high or low on a climbing wall, thus with orwithout anxiety. Again, only after training with anxiety was performance maintained during theanxiety posttest, despite higher levels of anxiety, heart rate, and perceived effort. It is concludedthat practising under anxiety can prevent choking in expert perceptual–motor performance, as oneacclimatizes to the specific processes accompanying anxiety.

One way to simulate game pressure on the practice green, is to run through a putting drill that you MUST complete successfully before you can leave (any will do, but say 3/5 at 4 stations around a hole from 3,5,7 feet). If your wife is expecting you home, you feel plenty of pressure on the last couple of stations.

markTHEblake
25th May 2015, 11:36 AM
Don't go home until you can make 100 in a row from 3 feet (putter length)
Guaranteed to improve your putting if you make it.

gotitat last
26th May 2015, 06:19 PM
Don't go home until you can make 100 in a row from 3 feet (putter length)
Guaranteed to improve your putting if you make it.
i actually like your style,MR blake.
the photo name tag says it all-i loved that TV series in my younger days.

no silly arguments ,but just great anecdotes,makes us all realize -lighten up,it's just a game.

that brings me to my next topic on putting-tension. if you try and eliminate it,you end up more tense.
so what's the answer?
at this stage ,i have no idea,as i am trying to develop my driving.
all i can say at this stage is that tension is created from artificially trying to keep the head and shoulders still.
all comments about SPIETH and co. mean nothing,as the head movement in a putt is not visible. it only relieves tension,but of coarse you get the brain dead constabulary flouting their same old tired rhetoric against progressive thinking.
at least it explains the same old ,same old on you tube.

crickey,when are these so called instructors going to actually get a brain? the answer -"NEVER". they have been taught by the same age old system to comply or else!

3oneday
26th May 2015, 06:48 PM
Maybe it's adamsgolfer, he's posting in his own threads.

Start your own threads, you may get lots of replies, or not. Do you need guidance on how to do that champ?

razaar
26th May 2015, 07:00 PM
Come on 3, this guy is a gem. It is about time we found another Zig.
Who knows, you might flog some gear his way.☺☺

Johnny Canuck
26th May 2015, 07:33 PM
My keys are:

Keep the lower body steady

Have a trigger

Keeping the head steady is a pretty good plan too, especially on short putts.

Don't look up until the rock is rolling.

3oneday
26th May 2015, 09:11 PM
Come on 3, this guy is a gem. It is about time we found another Zig.
Who knows, you might flog some gear his way.☺☺maybe raz, but usually only golfers buy my stuff ;)

wazamac
29th May 2015, 07:09 PM

Could not disagree with your comments even more if I tried. A putt is not a mini swing because the first thing you do in a swing is **** your wrists. That is the last thing you want to do when putting cause you will always pull it.
Yes I watch the pros on TV but could not give two hoots whether or not they miss a putt or what the commentator criticised them about. My shoulders are loose because I putt with a pendulum action and not with my arms. This has
worked for me and I was just passing on my thoughts. Not trying to get coaching on a part of my game that I am happy with.

Coldtopper
29th May 2015, 07:39 PM
I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

timah!
29th May 2015, 07:59 PM
I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

What was that, get in touch with your balls?

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2015, 08:04 PM

Nenenenenenenenenenenenennene.

Dotty
29th May 2015, 08:09 PM
Exactly.

All you have to do is have the ball go slow enough over the top of the hole.
Gravity will do the rest.

gotitat last
31st May 2015, 05:22 PM
Exactly.

All you have to do is have the ball go slow enough over the top of the hole.
Gravity will do the rest.
dotty-that's all well and good about that mystery force you are eluding to,but you never answered my query a while back-how would a golf ball react on a putting green on the moon differently?
if you can answer the question correctly,then maybe we can have credence in your comments.

Dotty
31st May 2015, 06:59 PM
Gravity hasn't been a mystery since Isaac Newton had a kip under an apple tree.

As for the hypothetical ... The Moon's gravity is one sixth of the Earth's, so the ball needs to be travelling much slower to drop in the hole.

gotitat last
1st June 2015, 04:33 PM
Gravity hasn't been a mystery since Isaac Newton had a kip under an apple tree.

As for the hypothetical ... The Moon's gravity is one sixth of the Earth's, so the ball needs to be travelling much slower to drop in the hole.
not having a go dotty-but how can the ball traverse the same distance at a slower pace?

Dotty
1st June 2015, 06:17 PM
not having a go dotty-but how can the ball traverse the same distance at a slower pace?
Elementary ballistics.

A putt on Earth (that would go a metre past the hole) hits the back of the hole and drops in, because gravity has influenced it's trajectory.

A putt on Earth (that would go six metres past the hole) ricochets off the back of the hole and stays out. Gravity has less influence on a projectile with higher velocity, so the vertical surfaces of the ball and hole don't collide, like they did in the above example.

Since the moon has one-sixth of the Earth's gravitational pull, then a putt on the moon that would go a metre past would react like the putt on Earth going six metres past.

Even more so, if the ball does not hit the hole dead-centre.

To sink a putt, it doesn't matter what speed the ball leaves the clubface. It matters what speed it goes over the front edge of the hole.

gotitat last
1st June 2015, 06:32 PM
Elementary ballistics.

A putt on Earth (that would go a metre past the hole) hits the back of the hole and drops in, because gravity has influenced it's trajectory.

A putt on Earth (that would go six metres past the hole) ricochets off the back of the hole and stays out. Gravity has less influence on a projectile with higher velocity, so the vertical surfaces of the ball and hole don't collide, like they did in the above example.

Since the moon has one-sixth of the Earth's gravitational pull, then a putt on the moon that would go a metre past would react like the putt on Earth going six metres past.

Even more so, if the ball does not hit the hole dead-centre.

To sink a putt, it doesn't matter what speed the ball leaves the clubface. It matters what speed it goes over the front edge of the hole.
with respect dotty-what you say obviously is quite true.
what i was originally trying to draw your attention to without actually saying , is if the green had slopes and undulations.
then,do you think the plumb bob method would work on the moon,and how and by what amount would you allow for gravity,if it was one sixth of earths" on not only a side hill slope,but uphill or downhill.

Dotty
1st June 2015, 07:16 PM
African or European swallow?

Wardy101
1st June 2015, 07:37 PM
talk about a topic that has gone off track.

Played 9 holes again today and whilst on the practice green I couldnt miss, on the course there was a few too many three putts. Putting them past the hole rather than leaving them short but just not close enough to get the second to drop.

wazamac
2nd June 2015, 07:26 AM
Are you feeling more confident now?

markTHEblake
2nd June 2015, 10:36 AM
The putting surface is much slower on the moon.

mrbluu
2nd June 2015, 10:55 AM
The putting surface is much slower on the moon.
Is that cos of the higher labour costs on the moon??

markTHEblake
2nd June 2015, 11:39 AM
You never played on sand greens before?

wizard_of_oz
2nd June 2015, 11:39 AM

Played 9 holes again today and whilst on the practice green I couldnt miss, on the course there was a few too many three putts. Putting them past the hole rather than leaving them short but just not close enough to get the second to drop.

There's a misconception that you need to hit the ball well past the hole and give it a chance to make the putt. TV commentators further propagate this by saying "Ah, he didn't hit it firm enough" even when the ball rolls past the hole a feet or two. No, they've hit it firm enough, they've just haven't chosen the right line!
The ideal speed for a golf ball to fall in the hole is leaving it about 10 inches past the hole. There will be some exceptions where you will either lag the putt and account for more break or hit it firmer to take out the break on an uphill putt but this is true for most situations. if you aren't close enough to make your second putt, you've not chosen the right speed AND line for the putt. Avoid three putting by always thinking of making the putt but having the pace to leave it at about 1 feet past the hole for a stress free tap in.

mrbluu
2nd June 2015, 11:44 AM

Which putting drills did u try wardy??

Hatchman
2nd June 2015, 05:40 PM
There's a misconception that you need to hit the ball well past the hole and give it a chance to make the putt. TV commentators further propagate this by saying "Ah, he didn't hit it firm enough" even when the ball rolls past the hole a feet or two. No, they've hit it firm enough, they've just haven't chosen the right line!
The ideal speed for a golf ball to fall in the hole is leaving it about 10 inches past the hole. There will be some exceptions where you will either lag the putt and account for more break or hit it firmer to take out the break on an uphill putt but this is true for most situations. if you aren't close enough to make your second putt, you've not chosen the right speed AND line for the putt. Avoid three putting by always thinking of making the putt but having the pace to leave it at about 1 feet past the hole for a stress free tap in.

The short game guru Peltz says 17". He did a bucket load of study/testing arriving at that number.

Scifisicko
2nd June 2015, 06:27 PM
The short game guru Peltz says 17". He did a bucket load of study/testing arriving at that number.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/46450/putting-capture-speed

interesting read if you can be bothered

Hatchman
2nd June 2015, 07:08 PM
http://thesandtrap.com/t/46450/putting-capture-speed

interesting read if you can be bothered

Might have a look at some stage, just not in the mood atm.

I have Peltz's Putt Like The Pros. First few chapters of the book describe the why and how he came up with that number. The knowledge gained from that book transformed my putting.

Dotty
2nd June 2015, 08:16 PM
Might have a look at some stage, just not in the mood atm.

I have Peltz's Putt Like The Pros. First few chapters of the book describe the why and how he came up with that number. The knowledge gained from that book transformed my putting.
I read it twenty-plus years ago, when it first came out.

I half-recall that Pelz based this number on the 'donut' of raised ground immediately around the hole, caused by the hole cutting process and, as play progressed, by players stepping all around the hole, but not within a foot radius of the hole. If the ball was travelling too slow as it neared the hole, it would be diverted away from the hole.

The 17" was the best percentage sunk, as it was slow enough to drop in, but fast enough to minimise being deflected by the raised surface around the hole.

razaar
2nd June 2015, 08:19 PM
My concept of good technique in putting is being in control of the putter, keeping the putter face looking at the target during the entire stroke, striking the ball on the sweet spot and no recoil of the putter head past impact.

wizard_of_oz
2nd June 2015, 08:31 PM
http://thesandtrap.com/t/46450/putting-capture-speedinteresting read if you can be botheredYep, good article.

PeteyD
2nd June 2015, 08:35 PM
Putt it into the hole, stop over thinking it. Simples.

Hatchman
2nd June 2015, 09:10 PM
I read it twenty-plus years ago, when it first came out.

I half-recall that Pelz based this number on the 'donut' of raised ground immediately around the hole, caused by the hole cutting process and, as play progressed, by players stepping all around the hole, but not within a foot radius of the hole. If the ball was travelling too slow as it neared the hole, it would be diverted away from the hole.

The 17" was the best percentage sunk, as it was slow enough to drop in, but fast enough to minimise being deflected by the raised surface around the hole.

The lumpy donut he called it.
Late in the day in the right light it becomes clearly evident on some greens.

mrbluu
2nd June 2015, 11:22 PM
I had a Dave Pelz book on putting. I got through about 4-6 chapters and the numbers he was spitting out, thought it was shear chance that any one could hole a putt.

Johnny Canuck
3rd June 2015, 08:00 AM
The lumpy donut he called it.
Late in the day in the right light it becomes clearly evident on some greens.

It is amazing how bad green surfaces really are in the correct lighting.

Hatchman
3rd June 2015, 08:18 AM
I had a Dave Pelz book on putting. I got through about 4-6 chapters and the numbers he was spitting out, thought it was shear chance that any one could hole a putt.

That's exactly it mate. It made me realise my personal expectation with all those variables was poles apart from reality and I was way to hard on myself for missing.
At the same time I bought a couple of training devices. Two of them happened to be Peltz items. One helped identify that what I thought was a square to the line putter face was shut. It also identified my actual stroke was ok.
The knowledge gained from understanding the putting stoke and variables as described by Peltz had the biggest impact thou. I became purely speed of the putt focused and only pick my line according to the speed I want to hit the putt not vice versa. That and getting real about my expectation and stopping bashing myself mentally for missing some, all of a sudden I started holing a lot more putts. My alignment was now on track, stroke sound enough in my mind so I was giving myself the best opportunity to make putts and excepting that the lumpy donut zone around the hole was out of my control.

One this is certain. The better the quality the greens are, the less of an impact/influence the lumpy donut is. Take my home track for instance. In summer we let the greens grow a bit longer to help prevent areas burning off in real hot spells. During these months my putting is not as good and you notice the ball wobble and deviate off the line when it slows. Previous to this year our greens were quicker from March-October than in summer and very true. Putts would hold good line, track true and not wobble and wander when slowing. This year so far the greens are not cut as low and are not being cut Saturday mornings (now Friday night, not sure why) like in previous years and they are putting the same as they do in the summer which is sad. With the additional winter moisture and a days growth and use, the lumpy donut can be clearly seen mid to late afternoon. Don't get me started on the heavy 100Kg+ players that stand near the hole to pick the ball up from the cup. I cringe when I see that massive deep heel print sinking into the green knowing not all of the depression will spring back.

gotitat last
3rd June 2015, 06:17 PM
That's exactly it mate. It made me realise my personal expectation with all those variables was poles apart from reality and I was way to hard on myself for missing.
At the same time I bought a couple of training devices. Two of them happened to be Peltz items. One helped identify that what I thought was a square to the line putter face was shut. It also identified my actual stroke was ok.
The knowledge gained from understanding the putting stoke and variables as described by Peltz had the biggest impact thou. I became purely speed of the putt focused and only pick my line according to the speed I want to hit the putt not vice versa. That and getting real about my expectation and stopping bashing myself mentally for missing some, all of a sudden I started holing a lot more putts. My alignment was now on track, stroke sound enough in my mind so I was giving myself the best opportunity to make putts and excepting that the lumpy donut zone around the hole was out of my control.

One this is certain. The better the quality the greens are, the less of an impact/influence the lumpy donut is. Take my home track for instance. In summer we let the greens grow a bit longer to help prevent areas burning off in real hot spells. During these months my putting is not as good and you notice the ball wobble and deviate off the line when it slows. Previous to this year our greens were quicker from March-October than in summer and very true. Putts would hold good line, track true and not wobble and wander when slowing. This year so far the greens are not cut as low and are not being cut Saturday mornings (now Friday night, not sure why) like in previous years and they are putting the same as they do in the summer which is sad. With the additional winter moisture and a days growth and use, the lumpy donut can be clearly seen mid to late afternoon. Don't get me started on the heavy 100Kg+ players that stand near the hole to pick the ball up from the cup. I cringe when I see that massive deep heel print sinking into the green knowing not all of the depression will spring back.
sorry for sounding like a S.M.,but from the previous few posts,the actual info.here is starting to get incredibly informative.
very good tips,and it certainly makes you think.
i suppose what dotty said about trying to take out the undulation at the cup with speed,is a very valid point,but very risky if you are off line.
also,you would not want a downhill return with a "bad" cup,even if it was a short one.

also,i wonder how adam scott will fare with the rule change.

Wardy101
3rd June 2015, 07:38 PM
MrBluu - not specific drills but rather getting to the course 20 minutes before tee time and practicing putting. Combination of different lengths and lies. Seems to give me the confidence before getting on actual greens.

In terms of putting past the hole, for me that is more about having confidence in trying to make every putt. I had a tendency to be too timid in putting and left too many a long way short. Averaging two putts per hole according to Game Golf so not too bad but still room for improvement

mrbluu
3rd June 2015, 07:43 PM
MrBluu - not specific drills but rather getting to the course 20 minutes before tee time and practicing putting. Combination of different lengths and lies. Seems to give me the confidence before getting on actual greens.

In terms of putting past the hole, for me that is more about having confidence in trying to make every putt. I had a tendency to be too timid in putting and left too many a long way short. Averaging two putts per hole according to Game Golf so not too bad but still room for improvement
Good stuff mate.

If u have time try to pick a straight putt from about 5foot and try to make 10 or 20 in a row. U can tell a lot about your stroke depending were the ball goes in the hole. (ie left, centre or right).

If u are putting well and still ave around 2putts per hole then look at your chipping as u are not getting your chips close enough.

Have fun and keep us posted on how u go.

Hatchman
23rd June 2015, 08:52 PM
I like this page about vision perception of line and dominant eye.

http://www.better-golf-by-putting-be...utterface.html

(http://www.better-golf-by-putting-better.com/aiming-your-putterface.html)

Wenz
27th June 2015, 11:28 AM
How I practice putting with my almost 2 year old.

AndyP
27th June 2015, 03:40 PM
Do I you set up a course?

highballin
1st February 2016, 06:15 PM
http://youtu.be/1Um9topAsKI

Interesting observation on Spieth short putting.

Calling TC have you seen this one?

virge666
1st February 2016, 09:07 PM
They only mention it on the tv every 20 minutes.

And holy crap, does the Northern twat dribble on and on.

Hatchman
1st February 2016, 09:47 PM

Calling TC have you seen this one?

TC is fine now he is on the SeeMore train [emoji577]

highballin
1st February 2016, 09:57 PM

Well then it is just for me because I'm not fine:D

Progolfgear
6th February 2016, 04:58 PM
Depends on how you like to practice. I pretty much don't practice putting, but when I play a practice round, I like to move my ball a putter length further away from the hole on every putt, makes you really focus on getting lag putts closer and also makes 2-3 footers feel like a cinch when you are playing a proper round.

Hard_Pan
7th February 2016, 03:10 PM

Calling TC have you seen this one?hb, I've adopted this putting style with some success. From my experience with this it seems to me that Rick doesn't really understand all that's going on. For instance he says lean the shaft forward but doesn't explain why it's crucial to do this.

I find that when you lean the shaft forward aggressively, it effectively locks the putter face to your chosen putting line ,so you don't have to worry if you're still on line as the putter swings back and then strikes the ball without you looking at it. This also puts paid Rick's claim you can't do this with a putt with a slope. I find you can. You simply choose your line, lock the putter into the line and then look at the hole. It's weird but it seems to work.

I first adopted this because I was having trouble with judging the length of a putt on the crappy NH greens. And again to differ with Rick, because judging length this way is relatively easy, this style can work for all but the longest (i.e. 15+ feet) of putts. Long putts don't work with this style in my experience because of the length of the back swing needed on a long putt; without looking at the ball, you can lose feeling of where the club head is and mis-hit. That said, I've found I've improved my lag putting quite a bit with a sort of hybrid of this style that I've worked out.

highballin
7th February 2016, 06:53 PM
Thanks HP your insight on this is interesting. I played around with this on the practice green on Friday then 4 putted the first without using it. I then proceeded to try it sometimes during the round but found it hard to commit, after missing a 2fter gave it away. Will give your ideas a test out when I get a chance.

Hard_Pan
7th February 2016, 07:53 PM
Ah yes, you really have to commit and trust. I also find that if you're a wristy putter, this won't work. You have to lock your wrists and arms and turn only at the shoulders. For me, that means bending over quite a bit over the ball. Worked yesterday and definitely worked today during my Pennant game. Knocked everything within 4 feet in no problems.

mrbluu
7th February 2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks HP your insight on this is interesting. I played around with this on the practice green on Friday then 4 putted the first without using it. I then proceeded to try it sometimes during the round but found it hard to commit, after missing a 2fter gave it away. Will give your ideas a test out when I get a chance.
If u are missing 2footers then check your alignment!!!

thecollective
8th February 2016, 08:50 AM
HB,

Thanks for the link.

I have recently switched from cross hand to the claw grip that took a while to get used to but has now been effective in curing the yip issues that I have. I found out my previous carpal tunnel syndrome condition (largely due to a previous life as a musician) has caused my wrists to be constantly shaky and hard to 'sedate' during a putter stroke. By using the claw in my left hand it takes the wrist completely out of the equation as the pressure sits in the fulcrum between my thumb and index finger.

I also purchased a cheap $10 putting book that has changed the way I look at putting, how you release the putter at impact seems to play such a huge part in the end result. Now the putting stroke is more like a cricket shot, a brush stroke or a forward block with a straight bat - previously I was putting more like a chip with lots of fingers involved.

IMO education seems to be a big thing with putting - the more you understand how you putt the better you become at diagnosing the issues and (most importantly) finding a cure.

thecollective
8th February 2016, 08:53 AM

Yes indeed I am, The Si3 is perfect for my claw grip

No 3 putts at Blackwood on the weekend first...time...EVER!

olddogmike
8th February 2016, 09:45 AM
I found that putting with the ball off my back foot rather than central makes a huge difference.

topping
10th February 2016, 06:38 AM
Stocktons routine is much more than aim and fire. First decide the line of the putt. Make it your total focus as you set up to the ball. Pick a spot on the line of the putt, ideally no more than six inches away and having looked down the line a few times to get an idea of pace, roll the ball over that spot. Never take your eye off the line of the putt. Practice doing this and forget every other thought. Works for me.

Hatchman
10th February 2016, 08:04 AM
I found that putting with the ball off my back foot rather than central makes a huge difference.

Hey if it works for you.

Not really advisable for the masses as the tendency is to hit down on the ball which in turn makes the ball bounce very early rather than roll.
I see this downward blow a lot on the weekends with playing partners that de-loft the putter with to much forward press from the middle of their stance. They hit the ball down into the green rather than picking it off the top.

The bouncing ball is a lot more susceptible to deviating off the multitude of imperfections in the greens surface than the rolling ball.

wazamac
15th February 2016, 05:57 PM
Hey if it works for you.

Not really advisable for the masses as the tendency is to hit down on the ball which in turn makes the ball bounce very early rather than roll.
I see this downward blow a lot on the weekends with playing partners that de-loft the putter with to much forward press from the middle of their stance. They hit the ball down into the green rather than picking it off the top.

The bouncing ball is a lot more susceptible to deviating off the multitude of imperfections in the greens surface than the rolling ball.

ME!!!! I'm trying to work on it. What I have found is that I have put the ball slightly forward of centre and closed my stance a little more so I wasn't as quite spread legged. has been getting better.
When I started having a lot of nerve trouble in my left hand I found that I was pulling a lot of the shorter putts to the left.
Probably cause my right hand was so much more dominant, I guess.

mrbluu
15th February 2016, 06:12 PM
Probably cause my right hand was so much more dominant, I guess.

Not in my experience. The right hand takes over cos the left hand stops.

Hatchman
15th February 2016, 06:31 PM
Not in my experience. The right hand takes over cos the left hand stops.

Is it the left hand stops or the left shoulder/arm?

mrbluu
15th February 2016, 07:23 PM
Is it the left hand stops or the left shoulder/arm?
The left hand, for a right handed golfer putting with conventional grip. Finding the reason/s the left hand stops is the secret.

Kaniss
28th February 2016, 12:08 AM
Ive found that gripping the putter higher has helped me a lot. I feel more balanced and the flow is much smoother. If I drop my grip down I get wobbly.

Hux
28th February 2016, 06:37 PM
Been on struggle street with the putter lately. Went to the range and did some practice yesterday with a putting mirror. No difference, could not get any feel for where the club was - was 100% guesswork on the plane and could not get the pendulum feel. Then stood a bit taller and let my arms hang and all of a sudden I had the pendulum. Putts started to roll, I didnt wonder where the club head was nor where it was going, just line it up and feel the length (no homo).
How did that translate today on the course.
12 on the front with a 3 putt and 13 on the back.
Maybe my best ever putting stats - at least cant remember better.
And it wasnt cause I was chipping them close, basically inside 8 feet was a gimme (except for once anyway).
So for mine - its finding the point where you have an automatic pendulum to your putting stroke. Nothing bar the putter travelling without interference under your shoulders. The best is touch for length and reading the green for break.

razaar
28th February 2016, 06:49 PM
Been on struggle street with the putter lately. Went to the range and did some practice yesterday with a putting mirror. No difference, could not get any feel for where the club was - was 100% guesswork on the plane and could not get the pendulum feel. Then stood a bit taller and let my arms hang and all of a sudden I had the pendulum. Putts started to roll, I didnt wonder where the club head was nor where it was going, just line it up and feel the length (no homo).
How did that translate today on the course.
12 on the front with a 3 putt and 13 on the back.
Maybe my best ever putting stats - at least cant remember better.
And it wasnt cause I was chipping them close, basically inside 8 feet was a gimme (except for once anyway).
So for mine - its finding the point where you have an automatic pendulum to your putting stroke. Nothing bar the putter travelling without interference under your shoulders. The best is touch for length and reading the green for break.Nah, don't buy it. :)

benno_r
28th February 2016, 06:54 PM
Going to add my 2 cents here. Had some of my worst putting ever at Vic champs, with 37, 39 and 38 putts. Really lost some confidence and followed it up with 38 in Darwin. Normally I am between 29 and 30 putts per round. Was really struggling on distance and line, and notice I was looping the putter all over the place going back and forward.

Originally thought it might have been the difference in greens, but a little mirror work yesterday revealed my setup was shocking. I was holding the putter like an iron - big angle between the forearms and the shaft. Worked on it a bit yesterday, making sure the shaft and forearms were in line,and it was encouraging.

Took it to the course and I was super happy. Now I didn't have a massive improvement (36putts), but all bar 1 putt went where I aimed. My speed and green reading was a bit ordinary, but at least I can work on those easy enough, and I finally feel like I have a path forward.

Hatchman
28th February 2016, 09:16 PM

Thanks

1. Soft hands / light grip. Too tight = tension/restriction of a flowing stroke and kills point 2.
2. Hit both with an accelerating stroke e.g your follow through should be double the length of the backswing required for the shot.
3. Work on your distance control if your going to practice.

Slothman
29th February 2016, 12:57 PM

Thanks

After my shocking display on Satuday my putter is in the car for a few weeks of solid practice. The ones I like to do

A) 3 foot clock face drill. Take a handful of golf balls and place them roughly a putter length from the hole around the hole. Go through your routine. Sink them all. If you miss one, take them out, setup, start again.
B) 6 Foot clock face drill. Same as before but roughly 2 putter lengths from hole. If you miss, take them out, setup, start again.
C) Distance control. Place a club/flag about a foot behind the hole. Place balls in increasing distance along the same line. Put from the closest. Ball must either go in or go past the hole but not touch the flag behind it. If its short or hits the flag, start them all again.

The point of the "start again" is to apply the pressure to help get used to that on the course. Drill C isn't about making the putt but getting distance control so putting down the same line takes that out of the equation, I need a target so use the cup.

The 3-6 foot putts are make able so helps build confidence as you see putt after putt go in. Despite my efforts on the weekend, these 3 drills are pretty much all I do when I practice putting.

Matt 3 Jab
29th February 2016, 01:09 PM
After my shocking display on Satuday my putter is in the car for a few weeks of solid practice. The ones I like to do

A) 3 foot clock face drill. Take a handful of golf balls and place them roughly a putter length from the hole around the hole. Go through your routine. Sink them all. If you miss one, take them out, setup, start again.
B) 6 Foot clock face drill. Same as before but roughly 2 putter lengths from hole. If you miss, take them out, setup, start again.
C) Distance control. Place a club/flag about a foot behind the hole. Place balls in increasing distance along the same line. Put from the closest. Ball must either go in or go past the hole but not touch the flag behind it. If its short or hits the flag, start them all again.

The point of the "start again" is to apply the pressure to help get used to that on the course. Drill C isn't about making the putt but getting distance control so putting down the same line takes that out of the equation, I need a target so use the cup.

The 3-6 foot putts are make able so helps build confidence as you see putt after putt go in. Despite my efforts on the weekend, these 3 drills are pretty much all I do when I practice putting.

I like these a lot. Adding to my drills

LoveGolf2012
29th February 2016, 03:24 PM

Did you check out any of those sites I sent you bud?

Matt 3 Jab
29th February 2016, 03:27 PM
Yeah. A few books and plenty of drills to go. Also doing some mental practice while practicing putting.

Head noises

Hux
29th February 2016, 03:31 PM
Yeah. A few books and plenty of drills to go. Also doing some mental practice while practicing putting.

Head noises

Drills are pointless if technique is flawed [emoji41]

That is the hard part. Drills refine technique and give confidence and muscle memory

Matt 3 Jab
29th February 2016, 03:41 PM
Most of the reading I've been doing focuses less on technique and more on feel. I'm trying to be less mechanical with my stroke.

Shadesy
29th February 2016, 10:02 PM

I thought you had a job??

Moe Norman
29th February 2016, 11:31 PM
I was a terrible putter for years. I'm still not what i would call a good putter, but I'm adequate - which is an enormous improvement.

I don't hole many good ones, but i rarelt 3 jab.

Single best tip i ever got was to not look down when making practice putts, just look at home and visualise the putt.

This changed me from a 36-40 putts per round golfer to a 28-34 type range pretty consistently.

mrbluu
1st March 2016, 06:11 AM
I was a terrible putter for years. I'm still not what i would call a good putter, but I'm adequate - which is an enormous improvement.

I don't hole many good ones, but i rarelt 3 jab.

Single best tip i ever got was to not look down when making practice putts, just look at home and visualise the putt.

This changed me from a 36-40 putts per round golfer to a 28-34 type range pretty consistently.
What if u are not sure what direction home is.....[emoji16]

Lagerlover
1st March 2016, 09:50 AM
What if u are not sure what direction home is.....[emoji16] Buy a pigeon

mrbluu
1st March 2016, 09:56 AM
Buy a pigeon
Delicious!!!!

3oneday
1st March 2016, 10:58 AM
Next time I start putting badly, I'll just have a game with lulu 8) sorts me out each time.

mrbluu
1st March 2016, 11:05 AM
Next time I start putting badly, I'll just have a game with lulu 8) sorts me out each time.
Sounds like you need to join cabra so we can play every second week ;)

3oneday
1st March 2016, 11:06 AM
I'm sure you're on a retainer from Cabra! ;)

mrbluu
1st March 2016, 11:21 AM
I'm sure you're on a retainer from Cabra! ;)

I wish 8)

Hard_Pan
1st March 2016, 12:16 PM
There's nothing like putting on a foreign track, under pressure to show you where your putting's really at. And so it was, or should have been on Sunday in my Pennant match. Well, I missed four 4 footers that I should've gotten and got four putts over 10 feet I didn't expect. So, I guess my putting's OK then!?! :)

Hatchman
1st March 2016, 04:48 PM
There's nothing like putting on a foreign track, under pressure to show you where your putting's really at. And so it was, or should have been on Sunday in my Pennant match. Well, I missed four 4 footers that I should've gotten and got four putts over 10 feet I didn't expect. So, I guess my putting's OK then!?! :)

Did you hit those 4 footers on the line and at the speed you wanted?

Did you miss those 4 footers all the same side?

Hard_Pan
1st March 2016, 08:59 PM
Two missed on the high side Hatch and stopped level with the hole and no more than a couple of inches away. One was a limp effort that trickled way off below the hole and the last one (literally), lipped out after I decided to ram it in (nothing to lose situation). :smt087

Hatchman
1st March 2016, 09:11 PM
Two missed on the high side Hatch and stopped level with the hole and no more than a couple of inches away. One was a limp effort that trickled way off below the hole and the last one (literally), lipped out after I decided to ram it in (nothing to lose situation). :smt087

Sounds like your close but also shows you need to work on that distance (speed) control if your dieing 4 footers at the hole.
From that distance you should have speed to go 12" inches past the hole. Get that right and you can start not giving the hole away unless on a severe slope or super slick greens. The ball will be less prone to being influenced by the multitude of imperfections around the 3-4 foot circle everyone stands in to pick their ball up out of the hole.

Frank
1st March 2016, 10:23 PM
I really like practicing 3 footers. Like a few others said, just go round the hole so you have a different break each time.
I find that's the quickest way to sharpen up my putting.

razaar
2nd March 2016, 08:15 AM
Striking the ball on the sweet spot every time would be a huge improvement. So would starting the ball on the correct line. Poor putters fall short in both categories. If they worked on both of these skills, their putting would be a strength in their game.

mrbluu
2nd March 2016, 08:42 AM
I really like practicing 3 footers. Like a few others said, just go round the hole so you have a different break each time.
I find that's the quickest way to sharpen up my putting.
I'm not a massive fan of this drill to start with, as it tells you nothing about your alignment, club face or path. The clock drill is really good, once you have these things sorted out.

The Chopper
17th March 2016, 02:17 PM
I wish 8)we couldn't afford him

highballin
22nd May 2016, 11:25 AM
Some interesting stuff here

https://youtu.be/YlYPAadx4Zc

dee cee
22nd May 2016, 03:51 PM
I like

3Puttpete
22nd May 2016, 03:53 PM
Some interesting stuff here

https://youtu.be/YlYPAadx4Zc

Practice and pay someone to read greens for you?

Hard_Pan
23rd May 2016, 11:10 AM
Practice and pay someone to read greens for you?And play on tier one courses!

Feelzy
23rd May 2016, 12:24 PM
Watching The Golf Fix and Breed suggested lining up the brand name with the hole (Titleist for example) and have the Pro V1X or whatever on the top.

Basically if you line the ball up correctly then that ProV1 writing will help square the putter face and lead to more makes.

I put it into practice yesterday and it worked a treat. From there you can get a feel for the speed you need to hit the ball and end up hopefully eliminating dreaded 3-putts and worse.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

simmsy
23rd May 2016, 11:02 PM
InBreed is a ****ing retard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feelzy
24th May 2016, 06:38 AM
That may be the majority opinion but I can't fault that tip. My overall game is also better because of him.

I mean my game isn't fantastic but it's better than where I began.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Shadesy
24th May 2016, 09:42 AM
So lining up the putting aid the ball manufacturers have implemented on all golf balls?
I found the clip, I get it now.

My Biggest Putting improvements:

1. LH low which squares my shoulders. I am still comfortable RHL if I need real long putts.
2. Pre-shot routine, everytime. But not going through the motions, picking a target and focusing on that. I recommend practicing looking at the hole. Forget mechanics, just putt.
3. Dont fear the result - You WILL miss!

TourFit
24th May 2016, 09:56 AM
InBreed is a ****ing retard.

One of the smartest things you've said. EVER.

Daves
24th May 2016, 10:26 AM
I actually avoid anything looking up at me at address, I prefer a bare ball looking at me so as not to distract my aiming. I do however place the minor ball text (eg. Pro V1 etc) under and at the back (I am not at all anal about this, no double checking if it is lined up etc). My reasoning is that it gives me something to judge how well the ball is rolling, as a check on the quality of my strikes.

I have a mate who is blind as a bat, but insists on lining up the line on the ball exactly, even though he can't see the hole outside 15'! Not surprisingly he putts like shite and takes for ever to do so!

I am a big fan of a fixed routine, but I am of the shorter the better school. I see too many stand over the ball for too long. You must give short putts their due respect. I see so many missed through casualness and carelessness.

Reading the putt starts when you walk onto the green, if possible walk from the hole side so you get to see the putt from both sides. Amazing how often the break looks completely different. Read the putt whilst others are putting, so you are ready when it is your turn. Be decisive, or you won't be committed to the stroke and it inevitably will be short, and pushed or pulled.

I am a fan of looking at the hole from inside 6 feet or so, and also if you are finding you are getting a bit handsy with your stroke.

I use an equal length putting grip, hand together, grip in the life lines so my arms basically align the with shaft. Arms in close to the body (elbows touching body).

And I don't grip the putter till it is down behind the ball and basically aligned. That way I grip the putter in the right spot and neutrally, without any predetermined angles or lie.

Slothman
24th May 2016, 10:30 AM
Am I the best putter....hell no. Have i gone from averaging 36+ putts a round to just below 30...yep.

The things that worked for me.

1 - Routine. Not just for routine sake though, routine to get my head right.
2 - Speed practice. I struggle at long putts. So I started "measuring" speed. Set up on a flat piece of green. Putt at NOTHING. 5 balls. Setup and pick a swing back spot. For me the inside of my right shoe. Putter back and through, repeat. Once I hit 5 consistent putts (might take 5-10 minutes till they feel right and are tightly grouped). I pace it out. Did the same with outside of right foot, than a foot width past that. Gives me 5 paces, 7 paces and 9 paces. Practice hitting those distances. On the course adjust for slope. Confidence on pace brings confidence in line for me.
3 - Practice the putts that you will see. For me they are 3 foot and 6 foot. Funnily enough about the length of a putter shaft. So I practice one putter shaft away, and 2 putter shafts away. Go through routine each time. Feel confident on them, who cares if you miss the long ones!!!
4 - Putt to make every putt. Putting to "not miss by much" just doesn't work for me. I find if I try to make every putt mentally..more goes in.
5 - Short game. If your wedges are better, you don't need to putt as much ;) So head to a green with heaps of hazards, take a handful of golf balls and concentrate on getting them within a club of the hole. I take 10 balls and throw them randomly around the green. Chip them all. Any within a club length go in my pocket, the rest get randomly thrown around. Keep going till all the balls are in your pocket. Use the same club for this drill to get used to figuring out how to use the club in weird positions. Alternate clubs each time out.

And finally...get short game lessons. Its great to practice all these things, but if putt/chip with the rhythm of an epileptic tourettes sufferer....you might want to start there ;)

In the end though, putting is primarily mental, I mean lets face it the actual movement to make a ball go forwards is pretty easy, so find what works for you....and STICK TO IT!!!! Doubt is the biggest killer on the green.

highballin
28th June 2016, 03:49 PM
Interesting article on putting stats

https://aimpointgolf.wordpress.com/2016/06/25/how-many-putts-is-good/