PDA

View Full Version : Issue Pics mandatory in "For Sale" section

oldracer
25th August 2014, 10:49 AM
I think this forum should adopt the age old tradition of pics on for sale posts. Not many forums will allow text only and I know google is my friend and we can all search for images on the interweb but surely if a poster is serious about flogging his/her stuff then make the effort to post pics of the actual item.

3Puttpete
25th August 2014, 10:57 AM
No way.

It's up to the seller. If you're not happy without a pic you don't have to buy.

AndyP
25th August 2014, 11:05 AM
I think it is good form for the seller to list pictures, but I don't think there should be an obligation to.

If it did become a rule, each new thread in the Pro Shop would have to be approved by the moderation team before being seen by the rest of the forum, which would create a delay.

oldracer
25th August 2014, 11:07 AM
surely it can't be the small amount of effort required to put pics up that you don't agree with and you are right, I haven't bought because of lack of pics. Just the amount of follow up posts requesting pics is evidence, I believe, that it should be required. Further to that, I'm sure there are heaps of pm's requesting pics as well, just my opinion.

3oneday
25th August 2014, 11:14 AM
So many requests for pics are just pure tyre kicks.

There are folks on here that have been selling for 5 to 10 years without pics.

I would also contend that posting pics for a $50 or less item is a PITA.

It is a bit like ebay really, if you can't decide to buy or not off someone on face value who has been a long term member of the "community", then you probably could be deemed to be too paranoid :)

3Puttpete
25th August 2014, 11:30 AM
surely it can't be the small amount of effort required to put pics up that you don't agree with and you are right, I haven't bought because of lack of pics. Just the amount of follow up posts requesting pics is evidence, I believe, that it should be required. Further to that, I'm sure there are heaps of pm's requesting pics as well, just my opinion.

It's not about effort or PM's or anything else for me. It's about not forcing a seller to sell things a certain way. The market will sort itself out.

TheNuclearOne
25th August 2014, 11:48 AM
Pics will never be mandatory in here.

oldracer
25th August 2014, 02:02 PM
Pics will never be mandatory in here.guess that is as definitive as it gets......

Tiezto
25th August 2014, 04:54 PM
It does make sense to have a picture on a FS thread IMO.

PM for pics........this makes no sense unless you are hiding something IMO.

Surely if you can PM someone pics and maybe multiple people pics it is easier to just do it once when you make the thread?

Also who wants to respond to PM's asking for pics, surely having a pic on the thread will stop Tyre kickers because they wont have to ask for pics.

If i see something for sale with no pic but I am interested in seeing what "8.5/10 or good condition" looks like I will ask for a pic and waste someones time to then not even consider buying the item if i don't like it. If there is a pic I can make up my mind without a PM and a "Tyre Kick"

dannycallaz
25th August 2014, 05:05 PM
It does make sense to have a picture on a FS thread IMO.

PM for pics........this makes no sense unless you are hiding something IMO.

Surely if you can PM someone pics and maybe multiple people pics it is easier to just do it once when you make the thread?

Also who wants to respond to PM's asking for pics, surely having a pic on the thread will stop Tyre kickers because they wont have to ask for pics.

If i see something for sale with no pic but I am interested in seeing what "8.5/10 or good condition" looks like I will ask for a pic and waste someones time to then not even consider buying the item if i don't like it. If there is a pic I can make up my mind without a PM and a "Tyre Kick"

Well said

3oneday
25th August 2014, 05:10 PM
Well saidThere is not a single long term seller on here that will understate the condition.

My 8 or 8.5 is at least your 9, and I can guarantee most will be the same.

If you need to see pics that is your right, but more gear changes hand sign unseen due to reputation alone, making it mandatory will mean the forum will lose more than it will gain :)

Oh, and it's a moot point anyway, because it won't change :)

coalesce
25th August 2014, 05:12 PM
I totally understand why people would want pics on FS threads, but i don't understand why it needs to be mandatory.

A couple of examples would be someone selling something brand new unhit, or just someone selling brand new golf balls.

If you want pics before you buy and the thread doesn't have pics, don't buy it. Its really simple!

Why add complexity to something unnecessarily?

3oneday
25th August 2014, 05:16 PM
Because they don't understand forum and the word community, although hopefully Ferrins won't chime in anytime soon :)

benno_r
25th August 2014, 05:19 PM
If you aren't happy with what the seller is doing, don't buy it.

This place isn't a business, and doesn't have to operate under the "customer is always right" principle.

3oneday
25th August 2014, 05:19 PM
You're right.

:)

Lagerlover
25th August 2014, 05:22 PM
My ipad makes it very easy to post pics. Still don't know how to PM pics..

Not big on technology, and without the ipad, it's camera..download and save pics to the PC..which the wife will see..probably need an email..

Some members need to keep it simple!!

Tiezto
25th August 2014, 05:45 PM
I agree making pictures mandatory isnt the solution. Just to clarify.

Statistically though and i would suggest this forum would be an example of this, is IF you have a picture of the item you want to sell, it will more likely sell and faster than the same item with no pic.

example.

Someone isn't looking to buy a Wedge but sees a picture of yours and thinks WOW that looks awesome and they only want $50. For that price I might give it a go.

Remember there are plenty of gear wh0res here and a picture is worth a thousand words.

How many people impulse buy after seeing something? Lots.

Dotty
25th August 2014, 05:52 PM
What's next?

Include a card with date and username, to stop sellers using google images?

backintheswing
25th August 2014, 06:03 PM
I know the next guy I will be hesitant to sell to.

TheNuclearOne
25th August 2014, 06:27 PM
guess that is as definitive as it gets......

Just watch the replies and general feeling. This has been brought up many times and always the same result. The ownership isn't going to go against the vast majority on this one imo, which they never have previously.

oldracer is great to sell to, i sold him a 3Deep which developed a rattle about 20 hits after he got it and he was an absolute pleasure to deal with thru the issue. Chappy came to the rescue.

Tiezto
25th August 2014, 06:32 PM
I know the next guy I will be hesitant to sell to.

I hope you don't mean me, as I am purely trying to suggest ways in which people can maximise their chances of selling an item.

Lagerlover
25th August 2014, 06:33 PM
perci is the best seller on here.. under prices, and under estimates condition.

can't believe you guys haven't realised this.

really unsure what more you guys want...

benno_r
25th August 2014, 06:35 PM

Oi!

live4golf
25th August 2014, 06:35 PM
perci is the best seller on here.. under prices, and under estimates condition.can't believe you guys haven't realised this.really unsure what more you guys want...^this. It is probably worth taking a back seat and seeing how things work before coming in and telling us all how things should be done?General comment... Not specifically aimed at anyone.

oldracer
25th August 2014, 06:36 PM
I know the next guy I will be hesitant to sell to.think you already have but never mind

TheNuclearOne
25th August 2014, 06:44 PM

Don't tell em, it's their loss!!

Keep it in house for goodness sake ;)

oldracer
25th August 2014, 06:45 PM
^this. It is probably worth taking a back seat and seeing how things work before coming in and telling us all how things should be done?General comment... Not specifically aimed at anyone.I've been on for a bit over 12 months and contributed I believe so not sure how long an apprenticeship I have to serve to have a say, anyway point made guys

live4golf
25th August 2014, 06:58 PM
I've been on for a bit over 12 months and contributed I believe so not sure how long an apprenticeship I have to serve to have a say, anyway point made guysNot aimed at anyone specifically... Please don't take it as a personal attack, not the intent.

mrbluu
25th August 2014, 07:02 PM
I've been on for a bit over 12 months and contributed I believe so not sure how long an apprenticeship I have to serve to have a say, anyway point made guys

This has nothing to do with contributions mate, its just about how some things work. If we are talking about Perci then he has the runs on the board. I too have asked him for photos, but when others to not worry about I took their advice let it be and have been happy with each and every one of my purchases from Perci.

Johnny Canuck
25th August 2014, 07:05 PM

Pictures.
;)

Webster
25th August 2014, 07:14 PM
I think this forum should adopt the age old tradition of pics on for sale posts. Not many forums will allow text only and I know google is my friend and we can all search for images on the interweb but surely if a poster is serious about flogging his/her stuff then make the effort to post pics of the actual item.

100% of your Ozgolf "For Sale" threads contain no photos......

Captain Nemo
25th August 2014, 07:19 PM
What's next?

Include a card with date and username, to stop sellers using google images?

Dotty, some sites do that (handwritten etc..) TCC for one is an example....
I always put pics in most of my ads, I've been dudded before by buying site unseen, never again...

Daves
25th August 2014, 07:30 PM
You are always free to ask for Pics, as are sellers to provide them, or not, as they see fit. Which would you prefer? A money back guarantee, if you aren't satisfied from a long term and respected seller, or rely solely on pictures and description? I know what I do, buy the goods whilst other are thinking about it!;)

I know that the only issues I have ever had with Ozgolf purchases, you would never have picked up with pictures.

BenM
25th August 2014, 07:59 PM
You are always free to ask for Pics, as are sellers to provide them, or not, as they see fit.

This.

Yes, photos make it more likely your stuff will sell and less wasted time later taking them (or not) for people who ask for them. But I don't personally think we should make it mandatory. There are some very good sellers here who don't do pics, and I don't see any compelling reason to try and force them to.

oldracer
25th August 2014, 08:01 PM
really not sure how Perci go brought into this, I have bought off him and not a $50 purchase either, very happy with the transaction so nothing to do with Perci, like I said Jack, well done, all 2 of them for a 50% strike ratio, so, not sure how long I have to be here but maybe I need 8000 posts to have a voice without the rebuttal being reasonably personal. Point taken.

Johnny Canuck
25th August 2014, 08:13 PM
really not sure how Perci go brought into this, I have bought off him and not a $50 purchase either, very happy with the transaction so nothing to do with Perci, like I said Jack, well done, all 2 of them for a 50% strike ratio, so, not sure how long I have to be here but maybe I need 8000 posts to have a voice without the rebuttal being reasonably personal. Point taken.

Perci is the king of no pic sales.

Stating that pics should be mandatory automatically brings him into it, along with 3-1 and TNO.

oldracer
25th August 2014, 10:19 PM
Perci is the king of no pic sales.

Stating that pics should be mandatory automatically brings him into it, along with 3-1 and TNO.don't agree at all

3oneday
25th August 2014, 10:21 PM
Would you like us to draw you a picture?

See what I did there? :)

Life goes on, it's all good fun.

Johnny Canuck
25th August 2014, 10:29 PM
don't agree at all

How can you not?

Stating that pics should be mandatory directly affects 3 of OzGolf's biggest sellers as they don't use pics.

TheNuclearOne
25th August 2014, 10:48 PM
How can you not?

Stating that pics should be mandatory directly affects 3 of OzGolf's biggest sellers as they don't use pics.

True for me. Sometimes i use pics on lower condition items but i rarely have any to sell anyway or price them low. On irons i do pics but that's been about 3 sales in 6 years. Mandatory pics i'd probably set up a chain PM thing with about a dozen to 20 odd members and ebay more as well. Won't happen tho.

3oneday
25th August 2014, 10:52 PM
Peace brothers 8)

Whatever, nothing is selling unless you give it away anyway, which really makes it less appealing to take pics :)

Johnny Canuck
25th August 2014, 10:56 PM
It would be nice to have pics for all, but if something is mint or near new, do you really need to see a pic if the seller is reputable?

I recently bought some irons from PTP without pics. He rated them a 9/10 which was good enough for me.

If I wasn't 100% sure of the seller, I probably wouldn't have bought them to begin with and certainly not without pics.

markTHEblake
25th August 2014, 11:01 PM
I think its better for ozgolf if we dont have to see gazgolfs boobie reflections in club photos.

TheNuclearOne
26th August 2014, 05:23 AM
I think its better for ozgolf if we dont have to see gazgolfs boobie reflections in club photos.

We are a bit light on female members tho, maybe he can attract a lot more if he ups his sales?

Dotty
26th August 2014, 08:02 AM
Once you play a game with an OZgolfer or two, in four hours, there is enough banter to get a good idea about the reputable sellers here. (You will probably see a Perci, 3oneday or TNO club in their bag also.)

I also like to acknowledge (in the For Sale thread) that I received the product and it met/exceeded the condition stated, to help the next prospective buyer (if they are prepared to do some background checking).

Coldtopper
26th August 2014, 08:34 AM
Lucky it wasn’t me who decided to share an opinion on how betterment could be useful to others. I do like the fact that some who never or seldom use the Pro Shop have such strong views.
In Oldracers first post he used should and I have read his posts with the understanding that his views are about improving the Ozgolf experience and in his words for new users. It takes some time to understand who is who in this place!

Daves
26th August 2014, 08:52 AM
If it ain't broken....

I don't have a problem in principle with "Newbies" being required to post pics, perhaps with a trade off on number of posts required to post in the Pro Shop or similar. But I am told that this can't be automated via the forum software, and I am totally against anything that requires extra work or intervention by the Mods, they have enough to do.

We also seem to be forgetting the different technologies in use, and the various media options that users use these days. Loading pics and even posting via Smartphone presents different challenges, some are masters, others less so..... . Then there is the fact that some much prefer to share photos via SMS or email.

I think the base premise that pictures improve For Sales threads for some is a valid point, and personally I agree that for the vast majority they should be encouraged, but "Mandatory" is a bit too prescriptive imo. Especially when we have some long established, high volume and respected sellers who mostly prefer to provide a condition guarantee, which imo is better than pictures anyday.

3oneday
26th August 2014, 09:01 AM
True, I may have had more interest in those S56's if the guy had been more responsive AND posted pics. Mainly cause I have no idea who he is.

AndyP
26th August 2014, 09:08 AM
Is it wrong to assume that everyone reads the Pro Shop Guidelines?
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/34110-Pro-Shop-Guidelines-READ-THIS-FIRST!

I think it is clear that the majority do not want the pictures to be mandatory, however they are recommended, as stated in the guidelines.

2. Please include all relevant information on the items you are selling. Clubs should include brand, shaft make and flex, loft (if appropriate) and condition. Be truthful in your appraisal. Make sure you would be happy to purchase the item at the rating you give it (We know this can be subjective, but be truthful). Photos while not required are definitely recommended. Please use your own photos of the item, and not a generic one off the internet. Try and make sure the photos are clear and in focus.

Tiezto
26th August 2014, 09:48 AM
Is it wrong to assume that everyone reads the Pro Shop Guidelines?
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/34110-Pro-Shop-Guidelines-READ-THIS-FIRST!

I think it is clear that the majority do not want the pictures to be mandatory, however they are recommended, as stated in the guidelines.
Oh snap.

oldracer
26th August 2014, 11:40 PM