PDA

View Full Version : Open events with Gross and Nett?

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 11:14 AM
Gross / Nett events
I am about to be reinstated from the 1st September with Amateur status after 28 years and my handicap comes online. Looking forward to playing some Mid state and Open events. I have noticed some Open events with Nett prizes and Nett events with Gross prizes.

I am very confused as I believe the following to be true:
1. Winning the Nett prize in an Open Tournament is like getting a participation award for the coordination challenged golfers.

2. Winning a Gross prize in a Nett event is for flogs (usually organising committee) same as the NAGA imo!

Has this allways been the case? Any pointers on these topics!

markTHEblake
23rd August 2014, 11:45 AM
Yes.

with the exception of some major amateur events like State titles, there are usually minor nett prizes. Probably because minor scratch events have very little depth.

BUT, my experience is that the Nett prizes are almost always won the blokes who finished 3rd and 4th in the gross (because the gross winners actually win Nett also but they cant have both)

Recenty i was runner up outright in a open scratch event, but they gave me overall Nett instead (also outright), i was a bit pissed about that, becuase net prizes are for old choppers, but as the actual prize was much better value, so I managed to cope after some rehab, counselling and medication.

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 01:05 PM
Yes.

Recenty i was runner up outright in a open scratch event, but they gave me overall Nett instead (also outright), i was a bit pissed about that, becuase net prizes are for old choppers, but as the actual prize was much better value, so I managed to cope after some rehab, counselling and medication. Cheers MTB i be mega pissed one for not winning but for receiving the participation award did the lady captain present it?

Captain Nemo
23rd August 2014, 01:06 PM
I wish I had your dilemma, and golf game to match CT.... ;)

markTHEblake
23rd August 2014, 01:16 PM
I was more pissed about 4 putting the 17th.

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 01:23 PM
BTW nice work on the 2nd. Congatulations. Nothing better than the 40+ being there abouts!

markTHEblake
23rd August 2014, 02:01 PM
seeings as you are an old fart you might like to consider plaing in the Queensland Mid-Amateur at Royal Pines, about 7-9 September.
its a great social event.

Australian Mid-Am is at Lynwood (Sydney) and quite a few of the party animals are going. The rumour is that Emerald Lakes (gold coast) has acquired the hosting rights for 2015 and beyond.

Hatchman
23rd August 2014, 04:23 PM
Gross / Nett events
I am about to be reinstated from the 1st September with Amateur status after 28 years and my handicap comes online. Looking forward to playing some Mid state and Open events. I have noticed some Open events with Nett prizes and Nett events with Gross prizes.

I am very confused as I believe the following to be true:
1. Winning the Nett prize in an Open Tournament is like getting a participation award for the coordination challenged golfers.

2. Winning a Gross prize in a Nett event is for flogs (usually organising committee) same as the NAGA imo!

Has this allways been the case? Any pointers on these topics!

If it bothers you that much don't play in them.

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 04:53 PM
If it bothers you that much don't play in them. Off my handicap I may never win a ball in the club comp! The question being are participation awards really needed to attract players? Have you ever won one H?

MTB I have seen the Aust Mid State but wouldnt play at Lynwood but the Gold Coast is locked in for 2015+!

Hatchman
23rd August 2014, 05:14 PM
Off my handicap I may never win a ball in the club comp! The question being are participation awards really needed to attract players? Have you ever won one H?

MTB I have seen the Aust Mid State but wouldnt play at Lynwood but the Gold Coast is locked in for 2015+!

One question at a time.
Yes, good prizes do attract larger participation, I hear it discussed a bit. It all depends on where the Opens are played but they are quite important to A lot of S.A country clubs. They attract visitors and outside money that helps keep the clubs going. If your club gets a reputation of being scummy with the prizes you guarantee less visitors in following years. Sponsors are important for this.
Prizes are not a consideration for me personally when deciding to play in an open.

Yes, I have won a few Opens.

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 05:48 PM
One question at a time.

Prizes are not a consideration for me personally when deciding to play in an open.

Yes, I have won a few Opens.
Thanks for the clarification. I was just amused to see Nett prizes on offer in a Open event when the name of game is best score wins. I’m a course snob these days and will not be playing on crap for fun hard its enough to play golf anyway without playing a crap hole. Played my fair share!
Thanks for the post H-man it put things in perspective.

markTHEblake
23rd August 2014, 05:50 PM
Your gunna get headless when you see them start paying seniors, juniors, closed, nearest the pins, and heaven forbid, A-, B and C grade.

In the pro world around 50% of the field gets money right?

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 05:58 PM
Your gunna get headless when you see them start paying seniors, juniors, closed, nearest the pins, and heaven forbid, A-, B and C grade.

In the pro world around 50% of the field gets money right? I was allways in the other 50% that got nothing!
I see you play a few events here and OS Im thinking of doing a few OS in the new year any standout must play events MTB or events here?

AndyP
23rd August 2014, 06:04 PM
CT, is it your opinion that only the best gross score should win a prize and limit the entries to the event to those that could realistically win it? If so, you are limiting the field. The money that the choppers kick in for the entry fee adds to the prize pool for the few players that actually have a chance of winning the gross prizes.

markTHEblake
23rd August 2014, 06:07 PM
I am only looking at Mid-am events these days.
Much better social and not so serious.

There was 3 consecutive events in Malaysia in May this year, one of them the Malaysian amateur. I am not aware of any similar events in other asian countries, or if they are they dont organise very well so you only find out at the last minute. (indonesia one of those)

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 06:32 PM
CT, is it your opinion that only the best gross score should win a prize and limit the entries to the event to those that could realistically win it? If so, you are limiting the field. The money that the choppers kick in for the entry fee adds to the prize pool for the few players that actually have a chance of winning the gross prizes. Cheers for that as I havent played in a local open for 28 years so wasn't sure why they have Nett comps. I now dont understand then why they have a gross trophy at handicap events for where only a few could win!
Anyway looking forward to getting back into it next month!

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 06:35 PM
I am only looking at Mid-am events these days.
Much better social and not so serious.

There was 3 consecutive events in Malaysia in May this year, one of them the Malaysian amateur. I am not aware of any similar events in other asian countries, or if they are they dont organise very well so you only find out at the last minute. (indonesia one of those) Mrs CT might raise her eyebrow if I told her I was heading to Pattaya for golf? Malaysia am sounds like fun? Thanks for the tips!

sms316
23rd August 2014, 07:38 PM
CT, is it your opinion that only the best gross score should win a prize and limit the entries to the event to those that could realistically win it? If so, you are limiting the field. The money that the choppers kick in for the entry fee adds to the prize pool for the few players that actually have a chance of winning the gross prizes. Don't tell him that there are metro pennant comps where guys off double figures get a start.

backintheswing
23rd August 2014, 07:50 PM
Highly recommend the Malaysia Amateur and World Amateur also in Malaysia each year. Have played in a few and the highlight is the Indonesian caddies.

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 07:53 PM
Don't tell him that there are metro pennant comps where guys off double figures get a start. No way! I spoke with a scrubbers from div 5 Pennats (haha) player from a Melbourne metro club who informed me that 4 wouldnt get a game on his retarded team. I dont do match play during daylight hours anyway!
BTW how was the holiday?

Coldtopper
23rd August 2014, 07:54 PM
Highly recommend the Malaysia Amateur and World Amateur also in Malaysia each year. Have played in a few and the highlight is the Indonesian caddies. Cheers that sounds like a good week!

backintheswing
23rd August 2014, 07:55 PM
Yeah we usually go for 2 weeks. 3 day stopover in Thailand at the end of the trip too.

markTHEblake
23rd August 2014, 08:04 PM
Highly recommend the Malaysia Amateur and World Amateur also in Malaysia each year. Have played in a few and the highlight is the Indonesian caddies.they have indonesian caddies in Malaysia?

sms316
24th August 2014, 08:13 AM
No way! I spoke with a scrubbers from div 5 Pennats (haha) player from a Melbourne metro club who informed me that 4 wouldnt get a game on his retarded team. I dont do match play during daylight hours anyway! BTW how was the holiday? What holiday? (ps - off scratch I probably won't get a start in my team next year).

Coldtopper
24th August 2014, 08:46 AM
What holiday? (ps - off scratch I probably won't get a start in my team next year). Where have you been then? Is it a age thing?

sms316
24th August 2014, 08:58 AM
Where have you been then? Is it a age thing? Somewhere else. Our team has five guys off +2 or better so it's more of an ability thing.

Coldtopper
24th August 2014, 09:02 AM
Better improve then! Not a bad thing to play at a strong club with good players. Any luck with the fitness stuff todate?

markTHEblake
24th August 2014, 01:37 PM
Somewhere else. Our team has five guys off +2 or better so it's more of an ability thing.

you can always play in the B grade handicap pennant.

But doesnt your competition have 9 or so in a team?

sms316
24th August 2014, 03:20 PM
you can always play in the B grade handicap pennant.But doesnt your competition have 9 or so in a team? One team, made up of 5 open, 3 with GA 5.5+, and 3 senior. I should retire on a high anyway.

markTHEblake
24th August 2014, 04:05 PM
playing off scratch (or thereabouts) against a guy off handicaps like that makes you feel like a chopper doesnt it.
Though it is nice to play for some cash and get 6 shots instead of giving 20 (or 30 like in a group that i punt with)

Shortylook
1st September 2014, 12:10 PM
so me winning our club open day means bugger all in the scheme of things then. i won it on a stableford score. but there was a prize for the best off the stick score, which it would seem is more prestigious. or am i taking this totally the wrong way. sorry if i am.

Coldtopper
1st September 2014, 01:43 PM
so me winning our club open day means bugger all in the scheme of things then. i won it on a stableford score. but there was a prize for the best off the stick score, which it would seem is more prestigious. or am i taking this totally the wrong way. sorry if i am.
You are on the money SL! If you are playing a handicap event then the best handicap score wins. A gross event for best of the stick. Comps should NEVER be played in conjunction imo.

PerryGroves
1st September 2014, 02:27 PM
Highly recommend the Malaysia Amateur and World Amateur also in Malaysia each year. Have played in a few and the highlight is the Indonesian caddies.

Bits, can you remember what years you went and played, I haven't been for ages but played a few of those World Amateurs in the 90s at Damai, Kota Kinabalu and Penang. Mate of ours was the pro at Damai, all I can remember is how cheap it was, how pissed I was and how crap I played.

backintheswing
1st September 2014, 02:31 PM
I went mid 2000's, last was 2009 in March.

Have been to Kota and Penang and KL.

Shortylook
1st September 2014, 02:41 PM
You are on the money SL! If you are playing a handicap event then the best handicap score wins. A gross event for best of the stick. Comps should NEVER be played in conjunction imo.
after talking to El capitano, we have a Gross trophy because there are a heap of super good players at our club that day and we want them to have the oportunity to win something to for their exceptional play. I personnely would love to win a Monthly Mug day. you get a mug of course and beers to fill it :lol:, plus youve won a stroke day. i would of thought everyone would love the oportunity to win something, but thats how we do our days. keeps the old fellas and the good golfers happy, and thats 95% of our club.

markTHEblake
1st September 2014, 06:51 PM
Bits, can you remember what years you went and played, I haven't been for ages but played a few of those World Amateurs in the 90s at Damai, Kota Kinabalu and Penang. Mate of ours was the pro at Damai, all I can remember is how cheap it was, how pissed I was and how crap I played.

I went mid 2000's, last was 2009 in March.

Have been to Kota and Penang and KL.

Ozgolf Malaysian tour 2015?

mudrat
1st September 2014, 07:25 PM
You are on the money SL! If you are playing a handicap event then the best handicap score wins. A gross event for best of the stick. Comps should NEVER be played in conjunction imo. Disagree both can happily be played side by side, especially at smaller/country clubs!

davidw88
1st September 2014, 08:58 PM
Yeah if you ran just a gross event around here you would do well to get 10 players, every tournament around here has gross and nett prizes for each grade.

Hatchman
1st September 2014, 09:12 PM
Disagree both can happily be played side by side, especially at smaller/country clubs!

Correct, both can be played together and not just at smaller and country clubs.
At most Country Courses the Open is an Honour Board game (best off the stick off course).

Coldtopper
1st September 2014, 11:17 PM
Point seems to be missed if you are good enough for a gross prize then it is only noteworthy if the field can play.
Id be embarrassed to win a gross prize in a nett event!

Coldtopper
1st September 2014, 11:18 PM
Yeah if you ran just a gross event around here you would do well to get 10 players, every tournament around here has gross and nett prizes for each grade. that's why they shouldn't play them.!

Shortylook
2nd September 2014, 12:06 AM
Ok call it even then mate, I take it your a very good player, winning a prize ain't your thing, but it gets bums on seats at our club.
Thumbs up

Johnny Canuck
2nd September 2014, 09:24 AM
Point seems to be missed if you are good enough for a gross prize then it is only noteworthy if the field can play.
Id be embarrassed to win a gross prize in a nett event!

Big events nowadays are pretty much both gross and nett events.

LeftyHoges
2nd September 2014, 12:14 PM
Big events nowadays are pretty much both gross and nett events.

Like WA and VIC OZgolf Champs?

3Puttpete
2nd September 2014, 12:35 PM
Like WA and VIC OZgolf Champs? Boom!

Johnny Canuck
2nd September 2014, 01:00 PM
Like WA and VIC OZgolf Champs?

Wow!

Shadesy
2nd September 2014, 10:34 PM
Is there a qld champs anymore?

Dotty
3rd September 2014, 06:57 AM
Gross prizes should only be awarded, if there is a strong field.

Otherwise, it is like winning a basketball medal at the Commonwealth games.