PDA

View Full Version : Adams Forged Black users - a question

benno_r
21st August 2014, 09:41 AM
A question for anybody who has used the black forged Adams irons (CB2/CB3/Pro A12 etc).

When the black finish is scratched off through use, do the irons rust?

I haven't been able to find out if there is chome under the black PVD, or the bare metal.

Cheers,
Ben

PeteyD
21st August 2014, 09:55 AM
did not have them long enough to rust. but I imagine it is the same as with chrome clubs once it gets through the top.

3oneday
21st August 2014, 10:05 AM
Doesn't the black wear faster than chrome though?

I only ever owned one set of Adams irons, they weren't black.

PeteyD
21st August 2014, 10:06 AM
dunno, probably chrome is pretty hardy.

benno_r
21st August 2014, 10:19 AM
I read a lot about PVD in general and it seems like it has to be applied to chrome for it to work.

Got a line on a surprise 3rd set of irons on my search, that have scratched black PVD. If I get them, would look at blasting the PVD off and "hopefully" leave them satin chrome underneath.

TheNuclearOne
21st August 2014, 10:58 AM
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/945489-can-i-bead-blast-the-finish-off-my-adams-cb1s-updated-w-pictures/

Captain Nemo
21st August 2014, 11:04 AM
Ive got CB 2's
Yeh they wear a little, but who gives a ****, really....
I like how they look and wear, looks cool.
(FWIW, i like how all metal finishes wear and change, like Patina inserts on putters and such)
JMO

benno_r
21st August 2014, 11:37 AM
Ive got CB 2's
yeh they where a little, but who gives a ****, really....
I like how they look and wear, looks cool.
(FWIW, i like how all metal finishes wear and change, like Patina inserts on putters and such)
JMO

But have they rusted for you? If not, it might suggest they are chrome underneath.

And I hate rust on golf clubs!

benno_r
21st August 2014, 11:41 AM
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/945489-can-i-bead-blast-the-finish-off-my-adams-cb1s-updated-w-pictures/

I saw that - old mate went nuts with heavy duty Aluminium oxide.

Was wondering if a soft material like fine bead was used, the black would be removed, leaving the "apparent" chrome underneath.

billp
21st August 2014, 12:13 PM
If you have the heads, maybe try and spot test just using a scotch pad and some gumption, just to see if you could scratch of the black finish.

benno_r
21st August 2014, 12:23 PM
Nah, don't have them. Got a few options looking at some new irons. One option is some second hand Wilson M3's. They are a bit scratched up, so was planning to bead blast the PVD, but only if what is left is not going to rust (ie, chrome plated).

Oldplayer
21st August 2014, 12:31 PM
No they don't rust. They are not raw under the black finish.

Johnny Canuck
21st August 2014, 01:27 PM
Yep, mine never rusted.

benno_r
21st August 2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks lads, hope the Wilsons are the same.

Captain Nemo
21st August 2014, 02:07 PM
No rust here, ill flick you pics with the other stuff... ;)

backintheswing
21st August 2014, 02:16 PM
I bead blasted the black pvd finish off a golo. Pretty much the only way to get it off. It's stainless underneath, and you still get the odd spot of rust.

benno_r
21st August 2014, 02:31 PM
No rust here, ill flick you pics with the other stuff... ;)

Thanks mate. A bit of iffy responses on the Wilson's, so hurry up and get me some pics of something to buy!!!! ;)

nadg63
21st August 2014, 05:23 PM
Depending on the mood/day I use CB3's or the black Wilson Staff Ci11's - the finish on the Adams seems more durable than the WS's!

benno_r
22nd August 2014, 02:38 PM
Well confirmed by Wilson today there is no finish under the PVD on the M3's, so they are off the list.