PDA

View Full Version : Hitting off the toe

live4golf
20th August 2014, 04:56 PM
Let's assume you are a reasonable golfer and have been losing a bunch of distance recently and hitting cuts. You sell a set of irons and whilst cleaning them notice that the wear is on the toe (almost where the grooves stop) on pretty much all your irons. To me it is pretty obvious the 2 things are linked...

What would be some of the simpler things to look at to try and figure out the root cause of this? I believe it might well be just standing to far away from the ball, I hit a few in the backyard standing closer and whilst it was only half shots with a wedge, they were all in the centre and pretty good distance.

Thoughts?

liptout
20th August 2014, 05:12 PM
Get rid of the grooves on your irons,

Then you won't notice that the ball marks are close to the end of them....

Simples.

mrbluu
20th August 2014, 05:17 PM
The most obvious thing to do is buy a new driver and putter!!!

Steve
20th August 2014, 05:22 PM
Club to closed on the back swing.

Not following though down the line and pulling the left shoulder away.

Flipping

To close to the ball

Just a few, to far from the ball is usually the last thing

live4golf
20th August 2014, 05:40 PM
The most obvious thing to do is buy a new driver and putter!!!

Done and done

live4golf
20th August 2014, 05:41 PM
Club to closed on the back swing.

Not following though down the line and pulling the right shoulder away.

Flipping

To close to the ball

Just a few, to far from the ball is usually the last thing

Cool, multiple choice :)

mrbluu
20th August 2014, 05:55 PM
Done and done

Problem solved!!!

Steve
20th August 2014, 06:05 PM
Sorry I should have added

D. All of the above

live4golf
20th August 2014, 06:17 PM
not following through might be the go. LAst time I visited Virge he commented my swing was too upright, I have noticed my divots are out to in

virge666
20th August 2014, 08:52 PM
Narabeen...

Tomorrow night with bihn

mrbluu
21st August 2014, 12:50 AM
not following through might be the go. LAst time I visited Virge he commented my swing was too upright, I have noticed my divots are out to in

Narabeen...

Tomorrow night with bihn

I can pick u p at around 5pm

Hatchman
21st August 2014, 01:11 AM
Can't help with a solution to your problem live4 as I was doing the same thing for about 12 months before I walked away from the game in frustration.
After having a serries of lessons with 2 different coaches to rebuild the swing to some thing more consistent I starting constantly hitting no power bitch slaps out of the toe right near the end of the groves on irons and same spot on the woods too. Had six years off and the problem wasn't there when I took it up again. When IBF lost the game it was sad to see that shiny wear spot in toe of the club on his 3 wood in the S.A Open. He must have been striking it the same.

Hope you find the answer as I would be interested as to what the cause and fix is?

davepuppies
21st August 2014, 05:51 AM
I am pretty simple minded, so my solution would be to stand a little closer and see what the results are......

Your divots should be slightly to the left for a straight flight, so I wouldn't be concerned unless they are extreme out to in

3oneday
21st August 2014, 06:33 AM
I'm into gimmicky solutions, I think for this I once put a sock or tee on the left through line, ideally then forcing me to follow through straight or on the way out.

Depends on how your brain works, but as others have said, it's easier to just buy something :)

live4golf
21st August 2014, 06:47 AM
Get rid of the grooves on your irons,Then you won't notice that the ball marks are close to the end of them....Simples. Ha, is that why you went grooveless?

talbo
21st August 2014, 07:45 AM
Might not help you but I found this video good for helping to promote and more inside path because it's easy to swing outside the line when you get this wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HmT4LN--3g (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HmT4LN--3g)

Scifisicko
21st August 2014, 02:34 PM
Let's assume you are a reasonable golfer.....and whilst cleaning them notice that the wear is on the toe (almost where the grooves stop) on pretty much all your irons.

Thoughts?

First thought is how did you get to be a good golfer and not notice??

I tend to hit driver and all longer clubs off the heel. Standing further away doesnt fix it. Im so consistently off the heel, all i have to do to flush it is try to make contact a little towards the toe. Maybe try the reverse?

Daves
22nd August 2014, 06:32 PM
Are you talking a few millimetres, or noticeably more?

On the Barclay's coverage they mentioned that Sergio is considered the best ball striker on tour as measured by Trackman. Faldo then mentioned that he had noticed on the range that Sergio's iron dimming is actually slightly towards the toe. Not sure why, I suspect it is because Sergio traps the ball aggressively and tends to compress it a lot.

live4golf
22nd August 2014, 06:42 PM
Are you talking a few millimetres, or noticeably more?

On the Barclay's coverage they mentioned that Sergio is considered the best ball striker on tour as measured by Trackman. Faldo then mentioned that he had noticed on the range that Sergio's iron dimming is actually slightly towards the toe. Not sure why, I suspect it is because Sergio traps the ball aggressively and tends to compress it a lot.

Mine was quite noticeable. I am not Sergio aggressive through the ball but I am fairly late with my wrists and trap the ball fairly aggressively when swinging well...I do feel that I have lost this a bit and maybe I am not being so aggressive with my wrists and am just slapping at the ball?

Daves
22nd August 2014, 06:55 PM
Virge should be able to sort it. Toe hits for most are due to either or both of 1) chicken winging your lead arm through impact, or 2) losing spine angle through impact (bobbing up) which pulls the club toward you and moves the strike to the toe. I am a master of both!:roll: But I would be pretty sure they wouldn't be your issue(s). Ball too far forward is another possibility I guess?

Scifisicko
23rd August 2014, 02:47 PM
losing spine angle through impact just causes inconsistency (shanks just as often as toe hits). Its hard enough to hit a ball swinging around a stable spine let alone one thats moving. Most of us do it (check out almost any swing posted on here).