PDA

View Full Version : Teeing up your golf ball

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 05:44 PM
This may sound extremely silly thing to ask but when teeing up your golf ball when hitting a driver, how high do you tee it? Do you have a way of knowing a certain mark on the tees you use or you just know. I've never actually been told anything about the most simple aspect of the game.

backintheswing
19th August 2014, 05:46 PM
Trial and error. Work out what suits you best. I vary it sometimes if I want to give one a ride downwind.

3oneday
19th August 2014, 05:55 PM
Wow, you're on fire.

I'm having rough_rider flashbacks, haha.

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 05:57 PM
Wow, you're on fire.I'm having rough_rider flashbacks, haha. Only way to get there is asking questions. Have to start somewhere!

Ron Burgundy
19th August 2014, 06:09 PM
http://evolvegolf.com/golf-tees/epoch-s3/

I use these. I'm not completely sold on their sweet spot system (check it out on the website), but they're virtually indestructible and those rings make it idiot proof to quickly know how high you're teeing it up.

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 06:18 PM
http://evolvegolf.com/golf-tees/epoch-s3/

I use these. I'm not completely sold on their sweet spot system (check it out on the website), but they're virtually indestructible and those rings make it idiot proof to quickly know how high you're teeing it up.

Might give them a crack, can you get them in store or do you order them online?

backintheswing
19th August 2014, 06:20 PM
Wow, you're on fire.

I'm having rough_rider flashbacks, haha.

How many to go to get to 150? I can't see on tapatalk.

Maybe things will settle down then haha

Tiezto
19th August 2014, 06:39 PM
This may sound extremely silly thing to ask but when teeing up your golf ball when hitting a driver, how high do you tee it? Do you have a way of knowing a certain mark on the tees you use or you just know. I've never actually been told anything about the most simple aspect of the game.

I always tee my ball so when I place my driver behind it about 50% of the ball is above the top line of my Driver head.

This explains it a bit. Depending on where you want the ball to launch from on your Driver face should determine how high you should tee it up as it affects spin and distance etc.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2013-09/sean-foley-tee-height

Dotty
19th August 2014, 06:42 PM
Get the 'waisted' tees from any proshop or golf store.

I only use the blue ones, which are 35mm. (You can also get a pack of mixed heights, to see what works best.)

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 06:47 PM

Maybe things will settle down then haha

Mate 109 now, if only the rules didn't change would have my for sale thread up and running.
I apologize to all forum members for my over the top activity, those 150 posts cant come quick enough:?

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 06:54 PM
I always tee my ball so when I place my driver behind it about 50% of the ball is above the top line of my Driver head.

This explains it a bit. Depending on where you want the ball to launch from on your Driver face should determine how high you should tee it up as it affects spin and distance etc.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2013-09/sean-foley-tee-height

Thanks Tiezto!! Very interesting and helpful read. Thought the 50% rule was the way to go.
Cheers

Tiezto
19th August 2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks Tiezto!! Very interesting and helpful read. Thought the 50% rule was the way to go.
Cheers

No worries mate.

I just have to practice what I preach and remember what I learn..lol

Tiezto
19th August 2014, 06:59 PM
Cheers

Also I only use White, Wooden tees and I find these pretty good. About $8/100 i think from Big W.

There is a longer size if your ground is a bit soft, it is normally fairly firm where I am from (No homo) so these go ok with bigger than 360cc heads

I snap a fair few but thats enjoyable in itself.

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 07:00 PM
No worries mate.

I just have to practice what I preach and remember what I learn..lol

Dont we all mate, mind over matter!!

highballin
19th August 2014, 07:01 PM
I tee up the top of ball just slightly above the driver head. Put the club behind the ball and will re-adjust if not happy. But most times it is right just by eye. You need to experiment a bit and find out what works for you.

Use 70mm plastic wedge tees

Tiezto
19th August 2014, 07:03 PM

The longer ones

Having the yellow ones above in previous post (2+3/4) you can use them with irons and 3,5 etc for shorter holes and layups

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 07:05 PM
Also I only use White, Wooden tees and I find these pretty good. About $8/100 i think from Big W.

There is a longer size if your ground is a bit soft, it is normally fairly firm where I am from (No homo) so these go ok with bigger than 360cc heads

I snap a fair few but thats enjoyable in itself.

Haha i like your style Tiezto no homo either, will have to give them a crack when this crappy Sydney weather goes away.

The snapping of tees is very therapeutic!

3oneday
19th August 2014, 07:07 PM

Maybe things will settle down then haha38

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 07:07 PM

The longer ones

Having the yellow ones above in previous post (2+3/4) you can use them with irons and 3,5 etc for shorter holes and layups

Plenty of things needed at the pro shop ill add them to the list!

Wardy101
19th August 2014, 07:13 PM

The longer ones

And to really confuse matters I find the blue ones (3 1/4") the best for me. Like others I break a few but they are not that expensive.

coalesce
19th August 2014, 07:34 PM
Blue ones for me too. The blue band just goes into the ground and seems to work out just right for me

jimandr
19th August 2014, 07:46 PM
This is not as silly a question as it sounds, particularly if you have read other golf advice and not understood it correctly.

Tiesto's link is good, but it also assumes you have the type of swing where you can hit the ball off the tee with a slightly ascending path.

My swing path is a bit steeper than the ideal, so if I tee the ball high as suggested I tend to hit the ball high on the clubface on a good swing, and all sorts of horrors occur on a bad swing. When I try to strike the ball with a slightly ascending blow, unless I get it perfect I have a tendency to reverse pivot.

So, through trial and error a long time ago, I found that teeing the ball lower than recommended works for me.

I've also seen many a novice golfer tee the ball quite high even when taking three wood or other clubs off the tee, so a bit more thought is required than simply putting the tee in the ground at the mark.

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 07:47 PM
Blue ones for me too. The blue band just goes into the ground and seems to work out just right for me

Might as well give them all a crack see which ones work best!

Ron Burgundy
19th August 2014, 08:17 PM
Might give them a crack, can you get them in store or do you order them online?Online. Can't remember where. It was a while ago as a packet of them lasts forever. Either way I'd just throw them in with whatever else you're purchasing online if you happen to see them. I wouldn't go to the effort of just buying tees online.

Tiezto
19th August 2014, 08:17 PM
This is not as silly a question as it sounds, particularly if you have read other golf advice and not understood it correctly.

Tiesto's link is good, but it also assumes you have the type of swing where you can hit the ball off the tee with a slightly ascending path.

My swing path is a bit steeper than the ideal, so if I tee the ball high as suggested I tend to hit the ball high on the clubface on a good swing, and all sorts of horrors occur on a bad swing. When I try to strike the ball with a slightly ascending blow, unless I get it perfect I have a tendency to reverse pivot.

So, through trial and error a long time ago, I found that teeing the ball lower than recommended works for me.

I've also seen many a novice golfer tee the ball quite high even when taking three wood or other clubs off the tee, so a bit more thought is required than simply putting the tee in the ground at the mark.

I agree with what you say and my link should be used as a starting point to work out what works best for you and your equipment.

Archi
19th August 2014, 08:18 PM

The longer ones

These are just ridiculas ! - i have always been a fan of the orange step tee - as i like to tee it lower than most

Tiezto
19th August 2014, 08:22 PM
These are just ridiculas ! - i have always been a fan of the orange step tee - as i like to tee it lower than most

No, these are ridiculous lol

Tiezto
19th August 2014, 08:24 PM

These were the go when i was a young fella.

Archi
19th August 2014, 08:28 PM
played with an old bloke last week that had a white step tee , with a red step tee tied to it - reckons he had been using it for the last 2 yrs !! True value there

hippo10
19th August 2014, 08:32 PM
I like to vary my tee height a little depending on if I want to hit a fade or draw.

The course I play at has some fairly uneven tee boxes as well so I try to even it out a little with my tee.ie if the ball is below my feet a little I'll tee it up higher to try and reduce tee effect of the slope.

Jackson
19th August 2014, 08:50 PM
played with an old bloke last week that had a white step tee , with a red step tee tied to it - reckons he had been using it for the last 2 yrs !! True value there

I play with a guy who has a similar setup, first time I saw it I mentioned that it must be "unloseable". Not so apparently as he found it on a teebox a few years ago.

JADO75
19th August 2014, 09:04 PM
I find the newer low spin heads work better if I tee it a lot lower.

yoyo
19th August 2014, 09:05 PM
I only use tees once.

talbo
20th August 2014, 07:55 AM
I push the tee into the ground, then carefully place the golf ball on it being sure to align it correctly. Its all about alignment!

OK seriously, anyone see Stinger tees for sale these days?

hoffygolfsalot
20th August 2014, 11:11 AM

I agree with what you say and my link should be used as a starting point to work out what works best for you and your equipment.

Both good points i think Tiezto's article is just a basic guideline, a starting point. But nothing in golf is mandatory, finding what best works for you and then re creating it over and over again is where i tend to struggle!

hoffygolfsalot
20th August 2014, 11:15 AM
http://www.golfwrx.com/109368/hit-it-farther-with-the-right-attack-angle/

Pretty good read, Angle of Attack i like it.
Golfwrx has some good stuff

Wardy101
20th August 2014, 11:42 AM
Only 29 posts to go :P

hoffygolfsalot
20th August 2014, 11:51 AM
Only 29 posts to go :P Can't come soon enough I have a load of stuff to get rid of, titleist taylormade. Maybe even a Scotty If it dosent behave this weekend.

Wardy101
20th August 2014, 02:36 PM
Can't come soon enough I have a load of stuff to get rid of, titleist taylormade. Maybe even a Scotty If it dosent behave this weekend.

I look forward to seeing your for se post

Charger
22nd August 2014, 11:56 AM
Im a new convert to teeing it lower. Getting a bit lower ball flight, but more contact out of the middle.

Scifisicko
22nd August 2014, 01:30 PM

Social or in a comp? I got pinged for using one of them. I was told by the ref that the string counts towards the length and they are illegal.

3Puttpete
22nd August 2014, 01:47 PM
Social or in a comp? I got pinged for using one of them. I was told by the ref that the string counts towards the length and they are illegal.

Ref's wrong

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/News/2012/June/Teeing-the-Ball.aspx

In many countries, but particularly in the UK, the use of two or more tees tied together with string has been fairly common for many years – especially in the winter when the ground can be hard due to frost, or when winter mats are in use.

Therefore, within The R&A’s area of jurisdiction (i.e. everywhere except the USA and Mexico) the use of a conforming tee which is connected to one or more other conforming tees by a length of cord or string is permissible – provided the cord or string and other tees are not used to aid the player in his alignment. Such a practice would render the player in breach of Rule 8-2a (Indicating Line of Play).

Scifisicko
22nd August 2014, 01:56 PM
Ref's wrong

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/News/2012/June/Teeing-the-Ball.aspx

In many countries, but particularly in the UK, the use of two or more tees tied together with string has been fairly common for many years – especially in the winter when the ground can be hard due to frost, or when winter mats are in use.

Therefore, within The R&A’s area of jurisdiction (i.e. everywhere except the USA and Mexico) the use of a conforming tee which is connected to one or more other conforming tees by a length of cord or string is permissible – provided the cord or string and other tees are not used to aid the player in his alignment. Such a practice would render the player in breach of Rule 8-2a (Indicating Line of Play).

I lost that match on the 20th hole.
As an aside, are they also ok with USGA?

3Puttpete
22nd August 2014, 02:55 PM
I lost that match on the 20th hole.
As an aside, are they also ok with USGA?

Couldn't find anything about the USGA apart from a thread on golfwrx where they seem to think they're not. Without a specific exemption like that provided by the R and A they might be right.

If you're paying for a golf trip to the states you can probably she'll out a couple of extra bucks for a packet of tees.

hacker
22nd August 2014, 09:16 PM
provided the cord or string and other tees are not used to aid the player in his alignment. Such a practice would render the player in breach of Rule 8-2a (Indicating Line of Play).

How do you prove or disprove this though? If you move the string or anchor after putting the tee in the ground then it would be easier to prove. If you put the tee in and not move the string or anchor as long as it is not in line with the target, it seems as though it would be hard to prove.

PeteyD
23rd August 2014, 06:04 AM
If the string is not taut it is not going to indicate any sort of line.

talbo
23rd August 2014, 07:30 AM
But you're allowed to line up lines on your ball to the target both from the tee and green?

yoyo
23rd August 2014, 03:31 PM
What a crazy game, it'll never take off....