PDA

View Full Version : Best public courses Sydney

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 01:24 PM
Hi all trying to get around and play as many counted as I can while im not a member anywhere. I'm in Sydney's eastern suburbs but don't mind a drive!

Dotty
19th August 2014, 01:54 PM
Join Hurstville for a resonable price and get an AGU handicap. A recognised handicap opens up opportunities for OzGolf games, invitations and open days.

Wazanic may pipe in with advice about this.

Icestorm959
19th August 2014, 02:20 PM
St Michaels - $70 a game, or The Coast for $30 - $40 a game is probably the best two public golf courses in the Eastern Suburbs. Eastlakes is not bad value either but can be overcrowded. Avoid Moore Park (overpriced and very overcrowded).

jocker
19th August 2014, 03:08 PM
St Michaels - $70 a game, or The Coast for $30 - $40 a game is probably the best two public golf courses in the Eastern Suburbs. Eastlakes is not bad value either but can be overcrowded. Avoid Moore Park (overpriced and very overcrowded).

Agree. St Micks is very good value. Eastlakes was in good condition last time I played.

davepuppies
19th August 2014, 03:10 PM
The coast is awesome for the money....

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 03:23 PM
Agree. St Micks is very good value. Eastlakes was in good condition last time I played. Played it last week was in great condition but again was very busy. St Micks is right along the Coast line isn't it? Or am I thinking of another course?

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 03:24 PM
The coast is awesome for the money.... Will have to check it out, what would be the best days to play it?

Icestorm959
19th August 2014, 03:41 PM
I think any weekday is generally fine.
Last time I went to the Coast was a friday afternoon and course was half empty. Expect a 5 hour round on the weekend though.

gameboy
19th August 2014, 04:08 PM
kogarah near the airport is a pretty good course on the edge of the eastern suburbs.

jocker
19th August 2014, 04:19 PM
Played it last week was in great condition but again was very busy. St Micks is right along the Coast line isn't it? Or am I thinking of another course?

Micks is right next door to the Coast (NSW on the other side). It has some lovely views but from the back markers it is pure evil I reckon. I think they have just cored the the greens so wait a bit.

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 04:30 PM
I think any weekday is generally fine.Last time I went to the Coast was a friday afternoon and course was half empty. Expect a 5 hour round on the weekend though. Cheers might head out there tomorrow hoping the weather clears!

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 04:31 PM
kogarah near the airport is a pretty good course on the edge of the eastern suburbs. Will defiantly give that a look!

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 04:31 PM
Micks is right next door to the Coast (NSW on the other side). It has some lovely views but from the back markers it is pure evil I reckon. I think they have just cored the the greens so wait a bit. I have heard that! Might have to take a few extra balls.

jimandr
19th August 2014, 07:37 PM
When I saw this thread title I thought Hoffy was asking about genuinely public courses, being those with no members and available for play at any time. So I had visions of posters talking about Canterbury and Woodville. I've never seen it, but I suspect that by that definition Barden Ridge would be the only course worth starting up the car for.

But if the definition is a course that will accept green fee players outside of comp times, the best courses would be the ones in the East that have already been mentioned. St Micks would get my vote if we are asking for the best. Of course, that is assuming the social player isn't prepared to pay north of $100 for a game. If so, then NSW wins that contest hands down.

I would add though, that the hypothetical weekday afternoon social player could get an enjoyable and challenging game at any of 30 courses west of Strathfield, including the ones us Ozgolfers are (or were) members at. Go through the map of Sydney, and if you aren't a golf course snob you couldn't go wrong anywhere in the West and SouthWest (except Parramatta, Rosnay and Fox Hills, I'd say).

Hoffy might find that many Sydney courses get very busy though.

hoffygolfsalot
19th August 2014, 08:14 PM
When I saw this thread title I thought Hoffy was asking about genuinely public courses, being those with no members and available for play at any time. So I had visions of posters talking about Canterbury and Woodville. I've never seen it, but I suspect that by that definition Barden Ridge would be the only course worth starting up the car for.

But if the definition is a course that will accept green fee players outside of comp times, the best courses would be the ones in the East that have already been mentioned. St Micks would get my vote if we are asking for the best. Of course, that is assuming the social player isn't prepared to pay north of $100 for a game. If so, then NSW wins that contest hands down.

I would add though, that the hypothetical weekday afternoon social player could get an enjoyable and challenging game at any of 30 courses west of Strathfield, including the ones us Ozgolfers are (or were) members at. Go through the map of Sydney, and if you aren't a golf course snob you couldn't go wrong anywhere in the West and SouthWest (except Parramatta, Rosnay and Fox Hills, I'd say).

Hoffy might find that many Sydney courses get very busy though.

Thanks jimandr, will defiantly head out that way. Whilst i am on the hunt for the course i want to join i am just playing wherever i can!

gameboy
19th August 2014, 09:04 PM
if you want to try a variety of courses and play comp with a great group of guys try this link. pm me if you want to come for the next game at twin creeks

http://www.socialgolfaustralia.com.au/index.php?sectionID=12252&pageID=15742

IanO
20th August 2014, 01:23 AM
Long Reef Golf Club

FuzzyJuzzy
20th August 2014, 11:37 PM
Interesting thing about St Micks (lovely course) is it's $70 to play socially, but get your AGU handicap and you can play in the Thursday open comps for only $40. Cracking value!!! Anytime I can get a Thursday off, I play St Micks.

jimandr
21st August 2014, 12:43 AM
A number of Sydney courses are like that, including Camden Lakeside.

Yet another reason to join a club and be a member.

PerryGroves
21st August 2014, 07:51 AM
if you want to try a variety of courses and play comp with a great group of guys try this link. pm me if you want to come for the next game at twin creeks

http://www.socialgolfaustralia.com.au/index.php?sectionID=12252&pageID=15742

Game boy, Looks like someone does a lot of work to keep the SGA going, great option for occasional without a club

FuzzyJuzzy
21st August 2014, 08:50 AM
A number of Sydney courses are like that, including Camden Lakeside.

Yet another reason to join a club and be a member.

Looking forward to seeing what Norman does with Lakeside. It's only just down the way from my joint. Could be interesting.

AusOdy
21st August 2014, 09:30 AM
.... Go through the map of Sydney, and if you aren't a golf course snob you couldn't go wrong anywhere in the West and SouthWest (except Parramatta, Rosnay and Fox Hills, I'd say).

oh god.... i'm the member of one course and play the other a lot.....

tim_golfer2
21st August 2014, 12:36 PM
St Micks did get a pretty heavy coring about 10 days ago. Hopefully the rain will have helped the greens along. But if you can wait, give it a month to bounce back.

gameboy
21st August 2014, 01:41 PM
Game boy, Looks like someone does a lot of work to keep the SGA going, great option for occasional without a club

yeah, perfect for me - i can only play every 2-3 weeks due to other commitments.

p4m
25th August 2014, 09:57 PM
Royal north turramurra!

JLee
29th August 2014, 07:07 PM

Can you get social bookings on Sat at St Michaels?

meh
29th August 2014, 07:09 PM
Can you get social bookings on Sat at St Michaels?

Maybe only really late if at all.

Icestorm959
29th August 2014, 07:31 PM
After 3pm, so pointless during winter really

Dotty
29th August 2014, 07:50 PM
Tell them you are catholic.

You'll get preferential treatment.

JLee
29th August 2014, 11:42 PM
Yep. Thought so. No go on Sat.

GolfTourettes
31st August 2014, 08:00 PM
The coast is awesome for the money....

Ditto

GolfTourettes
31st August 2014, 08:02 PM
Liverpool. Top course. Genuine top blokes in the store too!

gameboy
31st August 2014, 08:54 PM
rate liverpool. long, strong traditional course. good open comp

armitage
9th September 2014, 07:17 PM
+1 for Eastlake, but I would love to become a member of St. Mick if I have the dough...

Steve
9th September 2014, 07:25 PM
Livo is a very good course, when it is maintained. When not it is crap

FuzzyJuzzy
10th September 2014, 09:20 PM
Livo is a very good course, when it is maintained. When not it is crap

We've struggled a fair bit with our greens at Liverpool for the last month or two, but it looks hopefully like they're coming back a bit now.

FuzzyJuzzy
10th September 2014, 09:22 PM
+1 for Eastlake, but I would love to become a member of St. Mick if I have the dough...

St Micks is awesome - I'd join there, if I had the dough and lived in that area. Thu open comps there are great.