PDA

View Full Version : Video Camera for golf

mrbluu
18th August 2014, 11:49 PM
I'm looking at camera to record my swing when I practice as the videos I take with my phone the club head is all blurred.

What have u used and what do u recommend???

du-ponte
18th August 2014, 11:52 PM
i used to just use my DSLR camera. think it's a 600d.

unless you have a REALLY high end camera with high FPS capabilities, the club head will often appear a little blurred

mrbluu
18th August 2014, 11:54 PM
i used to just use my DSLR camera. think it's a 600d.unless you have a REALLY high end camera with high FPS capabilities, the club head will often appear a little blurred Thanks DP, what is FPS???

KristianJ
18th August 2014, 11:58 PM
Frames per second.

mrbluu
19th August 2014, 12:00 AM
Frames per second.

Thanks KJ.

liptout
19th August 2014, 06:08 AM
I'm looking at camera to record my swing when I practice as the videos I take with my phone the club head is all blurred.

What have u used and what do u recommend???

Swing slower?!?! :D

billp
19th August 2014, 07:13 AM
The go pro black should do the job, it is more the editing software that will give you the best results.

I am yet to use mine to record the swing, might be a job for this rainy weekend coming, record the swing at the range and see what it plays back like.

mrbluu
19th August 2014, 07:16 AM
The go pro black should do the job, it is more the editing software that will give you the best results.

I am yet to use mine to record the swing, might be a job for this rainy weekend coming, record the swing at the range and see what it plays back like.

Cool, I look forward to the review.

SirTop
19th August 2014, 07:51 AM
I strap my ipad to my camera tripod and use the Coach's Eye app to record the video then play it back and review.

With that app you can slide your finger along the timeline and slow right down to a frame which is perfect for reviewing takeaway etc

I just started this on the weekend, first time

liptout
19th August 2014, 08:02 AM
So what does a ball look like flying off a hozel in slow-mo Toppy??

;) :D

SirTop
19th August 2014, 08:10 AM
So what does a ball look like flying off a hozel in slow-mo Toppy??

;) :D
Hi Lippy, don't know mate, haven't been hitting them for a while ;)

My miss at the moment is a thin or fat shot, no hosel, that was sooooo last quarter...

mrbluu
19th August 2014, 08:14 AM

My miss at the moment is a thin or fat shot, no hosel, that was sooooo last quarter...

So u burying the hosel in the ground before you get to the ball??? :D

SirTop
19th August 2014, 08:17 AM
So u burying the hosel in the ground before you get to the ball??? :D
Ha ha, no it was all swing plane, remember I told you so :)

Scifisicko
19th August 2014, 09:30 AM
A really cheap versatile golf video camera is the Sanyo Exacti. Im not sure what features the newer go-pros have these days but the thing that makes go-pro great (point and shoot) also makes it less useful for filming the golf swing. To get good useful swing video regardless of conditions, you need to be able to manually adjust the shutter speed. Go pro gives you loads of frames, but unless the light is good, the shutter speed is automatically set too slow to capture the club without blurring it. Xacti gives less frames per second than go-pro (60 vs 120) but it lets you manually adjust the shutter speed so you can still see the club clearly when the light isnt great. 60 frames is enough to get the key positions. Caveat on all this is i dont know whether go pro has updated so you can adjust shutter speed. If it has it would be ideal...better than xacti because the frame rate is faster.

mrbluu
19th August 2014, 09:36 AM
Ha ha, no it was all swing plane, remember I told you so :)

That's right :roll:

A really cheap versatile golf video camera is the Sanyo Exacti. Im not sure what features the newer go-pros have these days but the thing that makes go-pro great (point and shoot) also makes it less useful for filming the golf swing. To get good useful swing video regardless of conditions, you need to be able to manually adjust the shutter speed. Go pro gives you loads of frames, but unless the light is good, the shutter speed is automatically set too slow to capture the club without blurring it. Xacti gives less frames per second than go-pro (60 vs 120) but it lets you manually adjust the shutter speed so you can still see the club clearly when the light isnt great. 60 frames is enough to get the key positions. Caveat on all this is i dont know whether go pro has updated so you can adjust shutter speed. If it has it would be ideal...better than xacti because the frame rate is faster.

What sort of price range are you look at for the Sanyo Sifisicko??

Scifisicko
19th August 2014, 09:47 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sanyo-VPC-CS1P-B-Xacti-CS1-Full-HD-Dual-Camcorder-with-8M-Photos-and-HDMI-Pink-/111438363355?pt=AU_Video_Cameras&hash=item19f23e7adb&_uhb=1

wazandnic
19th August 2014, 10:08 AM
Blu do you have an iphone5 or 4?

Mate has a 5 and it has a "slow video" setting... took some clips of him last game and they were great, shows you a lot more than a normal speed clip.

liptout
19th August 2014, 10:10 AM

I hearing ya with the fat shots mate. It's not possible to hit the ground any further behind the ball than I do!!

I've often thought about video'ing my swing, but then realize I'd rather not see the actual reason why I hit the ground a foot behind the ball and just roll with it.
;)

mrbluu
19th August 2014, 10:17 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sanyo-VPC-CS1P-B-Xacti-CS1-Full-HD-Dual-Camcorder-with-8M-Photos-and-HDMI-Pink-/111438363355?pt=AU_Video_Cameras&hash=item19f23e7adb&_uhb=1

Cheers mate, I thought you said cheap???

Blu do you have an iphone5 or 4?

Mate has a 5 and it has a "slow video" setting... took some clips of him last game and they were great, shows you a lot more than a normal speed clip.

Iphone pfffttt. I've got the Samsung S3, which is due for an upgrade soon.

Stuartd147
19th August 2014, 10:17 AM
Mr Blu get one of these....http://swingshot.com

A golf swing camera and software on a stick!

mrbluu
19th August 2014, 10:23 AM

I saw those, but can't stick them in the ground at the range cos it's all concrete.

Scifisicko
19th August 2014, 10:46 AM
Cheers mate, I thought you said cheap???

Try this one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-SANYO-XACTI-VPC-GH3-HD-CAMCORDER-10MP-5X-OPTICAL-ZOOM-2-7-LCD-SCREEN-/121406906815?pt=AU_Video_Cameras&hash=item1c446a61bf&_uhb=1?

iPhone slow has no shutter speed adjustment, its OK in good light but not great for the driving range after work. I like the camera on a stick, it is custom made for the golf swing so it probably only has a fast shutter speed and would work in low light (says it works in the rain).

Dangals
19th August 2014, 11:13 AM

that is a cool idea - shame it is so expensive though

ZENNON
19th August 2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah one of my friends have an iPhone5 with the slow motion and we did the same thing - worked well

Think I might get the DSLR out in the backyard and see how that works...

SirTop
19th August 2014, 03:50 PM
Anyone use any particular software on the PC to then analysise the swing?

Particularly golf or sports related ones that allow you to draw plane lines etc

BUSHY
21st August 2014, 12:49 AM
There's an iOS app called "burst mode". Got shown it at the CoC. Takes a burst of up to 1000 images and you can play them as if it were a super slow mo. Has a timer too for self manipulation. Check it out.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/burst-mode-high-speed-camera/id393131664?mt=8

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/20/4ef236eb98b773476d736f64d2eb8ed0.jpg

BUSHY
21st August 2014, 12:49 AM
Go pro is too much hassle to process and it's not immediate feedback.