PDA

View Full Version : Shaft selection

connico
28th February 2006, 05:21 PM
Ok im going to reshaft my ravens, iv decided that they are going to stay and stay for a very long time...i thought i would use them for a week or two but im very happy with them that im going to make that big call...

The TA7s wont be up for sale anytime soon but they wont be popping back into the bad either...

Regardless its to get fitted for these irons, i decided that i wont go the graphite shafts and have restricted myself to iron shafts, im vain ok...i know graphite shafts are just as good now and are much lighter and will help with distance and swing consistencies but im not going down that path till im 40+

So i want to get some input on shafts that i should get, iv been edging towards

TX-90s as they are light and have a very low torque...also they have a medium-high ball flight...which will help with control...

im also considering

Dynalite Gold SL as they are comparable to the TX-90s and with the same flight but are a little cheaper..

Dynamic Gold SL which are low trajectory but have minimal torque and are superlite... :)

regardless are there any other shafts i should be looking at as well ?

I know the rifle precision project X are good but spec a little to heavy for me...i want something around the 90-105 mark..

AndyP
28th February 2006, 05:25 PM
See a clubfitter. I'm sure the Sydney guys can recommend a few.

Jarro
28th February 2006, 05:35 PM
ditto. Go see a clubfitter

goughy
28th February 2006, 05:37 PM
Personally, after using ping lightweight steel shafts I'll never use (willingly) a standard weight iron shaft again. I think lightweight high performance steel shafts are just the greatest.

Jarro
28th February 2006, 05:39 PM
anyone here use those DG Superlites?

I'm keen to give them a go after having a swing with a guys clubs at my home course ... they felt absolutely fantastic 8)

Grunt
28th February 2006, 05:40 PM
I have DG LITE in my irons.

connico
28th February 2006, 05:43 PM
yes ofcourse ill go see a fitter...but i just dont want him saying...ok nice ravens, put these shafts in them, good take a swing..ok go home...

seriously i want to be informed when i go there and not get treated like a kid...being told yes these shafts are right for you...come on you when you go buy a car...do you trust the sales man.... surely if i said tx90s, club fitters will light up and say ok sure no problems..cos the markup is horrible...and they stand to make a real wad of cash...

guys just give me your input on how your light or heavy shaft works for you, maybe even throw in a name and a spec and ill listern..then when i got o a club fitter ill have a few thoughts in my head...

seriously what sane club fitter is going to recommend me hitting ravens...give me a break... if he was any good he would laugh at me and tell me to put those toys away and get some shovels to help my game, i would then till him promptly im the customer and get these fitted for me or ill just find someone else whom is willing to take my money..

Jarro
28th February 2006, 05:48 PM
so you think our opinion will be better than the thoughts of a professional clubmaker ...... wake up son :roll:

connico
28th February 2006, 05:50 PM
no your oppinion would help me get an idea of what i will experience with certain shafts...

a club fitter will find a shaft for me and fit me...seriously mate customer service in australia isnt exactly praise worth, people tend to do whats necessary.... what happens if a club fitter doesnt have every shaft there...ill have to settle..i dont like settling...

Jarro
28th February 2006, 05:53 PM
i personally like the DG iron shafts ... never been a Rifle fan.

If you're only a little asian dude, you might wanna go with the Superlites as they are 20% lighter than regular DG's.

that's just my opinion though. seriously, i'd go with whatever the clubmaker decides ...... just make sure you pick a reputable clubmaker ;)

connico
28th February 2006, 05:55 PM
yeah i know rifles seem really heavy when they go up in flex... superlites seem like the go since they are cheaper then tx90s, and the tx90s sorry to say look ugly lol they look like old wilson fatshafts lol...

freddy a
28th February 2006, 07:21 PM
nippon ns pro

amanda
28th February 2006, 07:31 PM
Gary at Custom Golf Services is definitely the best guy in Sydney to see. He knows his stuff and has the right philosophy - rather than what you see at golf shops like Drummond, HOG etc.

Moe Norman
28th February 2006, 08:16 PM
my rifle 6.0's are good, but if I was putting together my perfect set from scratch i'd alsways go DG X-100. Easily the best shafts I've ever had.

AndyP
28th February 2006, 08:16 PM
seriously i want to be informed when i go there and not get treated like a kid...being told yes these shafts are right for you.
But it's not just any shonky clubfitter you will be seeing. It will be one recommended by an OZgolfer, who will be more than likely be aware of the forum, and not just shove any shaft in.

rick3003
28th February 2006, 08:29 PM
My J33 combos came with DGs300 SL and I could not get use to the lighter shafts. Bought some TT Tour Concepts, only played a few rounds and am very pleased. Probably too heavy for you connico.

They work for me but then again I am 6ft 5 and weigh over 100kg.

I would go for the TX90. Lightweight and higher launch than the DG.

Pinglauncher
28th February 2006, 08:43 PM
TX-90 is a superb shaft and currently have this in my RM #4. I played DG Lites in a set of TA7's and although a similar weight to the TX-90 thay played a little soft and launched fairly high. If fitted correctly they could be a very good shaft. The best of the lot in the weight range you are after are the Nippons although they are pretty pricey.

Jarro
28th February 2006, 08:49 PM
My J33 combos came with DGs300 SL and I could not get use to the lighter shafts. Bought some TT Tour Concepts, only played a few rounds and am very pleased. Probably too heavy for you connico.

They work for me but then again I am 6ft 5 and weigh over 100kg.

I would go for the TX90. Lightweight and higher launch than the DG.

still got the Superlites Rick ;)

BrisVegas
28th February 2006, 09:01 PM

hey, back off shorty. He's 6ft 5"... They'd fit ME much better than you... :mrgreen: :smt002

goughy
28th February 2006, 09:06 PM
I always read that dg lites play at least a flex softer. I think that's where the whole superlite thing came from. To give people a high performance lighter weight shaft with the same characteristics as the dg they always played.

I'm no monster hitter. But I'd been averaging about 140mtrs with my 8iron and I just love the lighter weight iron shafts. I'm sure they are not for everybody, especially since the feel of an iron is particular to most people. But I'll be with lightweight high performance shafts as long as I can.

I figure if lighter weight shafts is the way to go with my driver, why not my irons.

connico
28th February 2006, 09:28 PM
so nippons hey, ill give them a look see, ill try to find an iron set fitted with one amongst my mates...gotta be one out there, prob one of my jap or korean mates...

rick3003
28th February 2006, 09:35 PM
Nah, The dude that fitted the tour concepts had trouble pulling them and could only save 4 so I didn't bother. Shame though they would have been a good pick up for someone wanting to try on the cheap.

rick3003
28th February 2006, 09:36 PM
so nippons hey, ill give them a look see, ill try to find an iron set fitted with one amongst my mates...gotta be one out there, prob one of my jap or korean mates...
Go and see Mick or Bruce at Syd Olympic Park. They have some demo mizzys with nippons.

connico
28th February 2006, 09:54 PM
hmm ok cool ill have a hit then

markTHEblake
28th February 2006, 10:32 PM
i want something around the 90-105 mark..

what iron shafts are below 100 grams?

from memory light shafts are usually around 110 to 120

3oneday
28th February 2006, 10:52 PM
Nah, The dude that fitted the tour concepts had trouble pulling them and could only save 4 so I didn't bother. Shame though they would have been a good pick up for someone wanting to try on the cheap.couldn't pull steel shafts ??? Can't say I have heard that one before ???

Pete

connico
1st March 2006, 12:02 AM
tx-90s can be as light as 95grams for a full shaft if you get them tapered

Jarro
1st March 2006, 07:08 AM
what iron shafts are below 100 grams?

from memory light shafts are usually around 110 to 120

DG Superlites come in at around 100grams ... uncut

rick3003
1st March 2006, 09:08 AM
couldn't pull steel shafts ??? Can't say I have heard that one before ???

Pete
Yeah thats what I thought, he was also going on about weights in the heads etc. He said it took him 12 hours to reshaft 8 irons. Lucky I was not paying an hourly rate.

He did however do a fine job on the TC's.

3oneday
1st March 2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah thats what I thought, he was also going on about weights in the heads etc. He said it took him 12 hours to reshaft 8 irons. Lucky I was not paying an hourly rate.

He did however do a fine job on the TC's.Oh yes, when I pulled the shafts on my Bridgeys they had weight tips in the end of the shafts, I guess to ensure the swing and head weights were correct.

Sounds like you got a proper job done anyways !!! 8)

Pete

990B Luva
1st March 2006, 09:38 AM
Jarro, Keri plays the DG SL's in her SMTs

BrisVegas
1st March 2006, 09:40 AM
Has anyone that's gone to a lighter weight shaft felt the need to go stiffer flex?

ie. if I swing 5 iron at 95mph with DG S300. Could i expect to get closer to 100mp with DG Superlites? ...and possibly go to X flex?

I played a set of X12 irons a few years back with graphite shafts (RCH 99 Strong). They were as light as hell and i hit the ball miles with them. Even with the strongest flex they had, I felt I could have used more control.

connico
1st March 2006, 09:47 AM
i guess its about preferance, iv been trying alot of shafts and graphite i have to admit will give you distance regardless what flex. I was reading just recently in readers digest that most golfers should stem thier vanity and move to graphite shafts...distance and control can be intergated in a single shaft...but it is more expensive.

Regardless even with superlites the stiffer flex you go the heavier the shaft gets, but a superlite xflex would be the equivalent to an R shaft in say Dynamic Gold

peter_rs
1st March 2006, 09:58 AM
BV if you go to DG LITE you need to go up in flex but DG SL have the same performace as DG just less weight so DGS300 is DG SL S300 but note because the shaft is 30+grams lighter you will pick up a bit of club head speed.

BrisVegas
1st March 2006, 10:10 AM
Regardless even with superlites the stiffer flex you go the heavier the shaft gets, but a superlite xflex would be the equivalent to an R shaft in say Dynamic Gold

I don't think that's the case. As I understand it, the R,S,X flex shafts are all the same weight.

BV if you go to DG LITE you need to go up in flex but DG SL have the same performace as DG just less weight so DGS300 is DG SL S300 but note because the shaft is 30+grams lighter you will pick up a bit of club head speed.

I'm not talking about LITEs. I would want the same trajectory as DG's, hence the consideration of DG Superlites. As I said above, I was wondering whether the weight saving would result in a significant increase in clubhead speed (like I found when I went to graphite)... and necessitate a stiffer flex to retain control.

peter_rs
1st March 2006, 10:13 AM
The answer would be no unless you are already on the edge of needing stiffer shafts with a SL shaft I picked up about 3mph

BrisVegas
1st March 2006, 10:16 AM
The answer would be no unless you are already on the edge of needing stiffer shafts with a SL shaft I picked up about 3mph

What was your 5 iron SS before/after?

peter_rs
1st March 2006, 10:19 AM
I went from a 94 to 97 avg

connico
1st March 2006, 10:23 AM
I don't think that's the case. As I understand it, the R,S,X flex shafts are all the same weight.

Actually the weights are different, A heavier flex will increase the weight of the shaft. The difference can vary from as little as a few grams.

BrisVegas
1st March 2006, 10:31 AM
Actually the weights are different, A heavier flex will increase the weight of the shaft. The difference can vary from as little as a few grams.

106g Reg
106g Stiff
109g X-Stiff

Those are untrimmed number, so potentially 2 grams in it and only between S and X. Most grips vary by more than that. Not to mention manufacturing tolerances...

They are the same weight as far as I'm concerned.

connico
1st March 2006, 10:56 AM
106g Reg
106g Stiff
109g X-Stiff

Those are untrimmed number, so potentially 2 grams in it and only between S and X. Most grips vary by more than that. Not to mention manufacturing tolerances...

They are the same weight as far as I'm concerned.

TX-90s Tapered Irons A, R, S 95 / 98 / 101 .600 / .355 41-37" High

there are some larger variance there...not much but there is